Hyundai Preliminary Evaluation PE08071: INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE LACERATION HAZARD
2002 Hyundai Sonata
- The manufacturer has issued a safety recall notification as a result of this investigation.the recall affects 91,202 MY 2002-2003 subject vehicles produced from January 28, 2002, through March 22, 2003.the vehicle recall population was defined by the manufacturer's use of a new supplier for the chrome plating process beginning in January 2002, and a production change in March 2003 to improve adhesion of the plating to the door handle.vehicles being recalled represent 59 percent of the total MY 2002-2003 production, but account for 91 percent of the consumer complaints received.the process change for MY 2002 vehicles resulted in a dramatic increase in complaints (1200 percent on a per unit rate basis).MY 2003 vehicles built after March 2003 production change showed a similar decline in the complaint rate.based on the manufacturer's action, this investigation has been closed.
- Documents (11)
- HYUNDAI-KIA 2/12/2009 LETTER TO ODI
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED *12/15/08*P
- IR TO MFR *12/17/08*P
- RECALL NOTIFICATION LETTER, MAY 15, 2009.
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED *05/29/09*P
- HYYUNDAI-KIA RESPONSE 02/12/2009, 2002 MODEL YEAR, CD
- HYUNDAI-KIA RESPONSE 02/12/2009, 2003 MODEL YEAR,CD
- MFR IR RESPONSE DATA
- 39800 - HYUNDAI- KIA RESPONSE 02/12/2009, ATTACHMENT C CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ATTACHMENTS,CD
- HYUNDAI-KIA RESPONSE 02/19/2009 ATTACHMENT E WARRANTY DATA RELATED CODES, CD
- HYUNDAI-KIA RESPONSE 02/12/2009 LETTER TO ODI