Cause: Clicking noises can come from around the transfer case when manoeuvring the vehicle (or driving slowly) due to activation of the transfer case servo motor.
Before doing any other work, the symptom must be simulated using a test procedure.
(Opening the door windows can be helpful when evaluating noises).
1 Conditions for the first test procedure:
* Activate the Start/Stop function and
* deactivate all sources of noise in the vehicle (Entertainment, ventilation, etc.).
* A multi-story parking garage can be useful for acoustic reverberation.
* On a straight stretch
* from speeds less than 10mph (20 km/h)
* brake the vehicle to a standstill.
* The best way of finding the clicking noise is by driving slowly and then stopping the vehicle.