Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 328:

Apr 172019

328

4 months ago my car stopped suddenly mechanic changed fuel pump, couple weeks after that it happens again I took it back and the mechanic said everything is ok, I went home and today I was driving on the highway when the car suddenly stopped again, I was so scared I just want to know if you going to fix this problem

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Sep 122018

328

My car has been having serious issues. Over heating, smoking uncontrollably, unable to use air/ heat conditioning due to toxic smoke coming through vent. Lights signal, check engine light, and brake light will not turn off. I fear for my life and have been car pulling due to my car issues. I feel as though, my car is at risk of catching on fire. The car has even shut off 5 times due to the excessive smoke. In was told by mechanic that I would only need to pressure wash the engine and it should be fine. I have had to pull over by the highway. I have wasted several dollars due to this matter with my car. Its pains me deeply that I'm having these issues with my car. I have worked very hard to get it. I'm at a loss for words with this matter.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Sep 282018

• 1,410,000 miles
I took my car to a BMW dealership in cannonsburg, pa. Had no issues whatsoever dropping it off. I had driven 3 hours to get to the dealership for the recall. By the end of the day I received a call telling me my car was over heating and not drivable. How is that my responsibility" when obviously I drove it a long distance to get 3 recalls taken care of. I was told the water pump, I think was not working? it was working when I dropped it off" if it was overheating I could have never been able to drive it. Please help me figure out our to resolve this issue. I need my car and IżM regretting taking it in for a recall now.

- Elkins, WV, USA

Jun 012017

328

While driving in the passing lane on us 101 at a busy time with many trucks approaching the cuesta grade, my fuel pump failed. It was extremely dangerous trying to drift a dead car to the shoulder while avoiding collisions. Six (6) months later, the fuel pump controller failed under almost identical highway conditions at a spot about 10 miles South of the first failure. The controller failure yields the same results as the pump failure. Meaning, the car engine stopped and I had to drift to the side of the road. Almost was hit by semis in both cases.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Oct 272017

328

Takata recall. This is the second time ive had to file a complaint. My car keeps dying in the middle of the road while I'm driving just randomly. It gives no warning or anything I can't drive my car in the heat or at night. I've been to the BMW dealership here and it's been 6months and they still don't have the recall parts. It's a very serious safety issue please contact me soon

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Dec 172014

328

Airflow meter/sensor - car sputters and struggles with air intake causing the car to stall. I was driving 45 mph and my car turned off. This happened back in 12/2017 - I took the car into the shop to fix the problem ($1300+) and the same issues are happening again. July 2018 driving 33 mph and my car stalled out.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Nov 152017

328

Takata recall, whenever I drive my car for more than 30min it overheats and completely shuts off. The steering wheel locks like it runs out of gas and I can't start the car for at least 20 30 minutes. Thought it was the fuel pump replaced that and 3months later the problem comes back and now I can't run the A/C without it shutting off randomly. I've had this happen on very busy roads blocking traffic because I couldn't do anything. I took my car to BMW dealership and the parts still aren't made is what they said. I want this problem fixed as soon as possible please.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Jul 132018

328

Fuel injectors began leaking and have become faulty causing mis-firing. BMW had a similar recall involving cars with the same model year and engine as my car but has refused to claim it was also involved in the recall.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jun 212018

328

March 28, 2018 - driving on the freeway, car suddenly comes to a stop and shows message fuel pump with car on rock icon. Car gets towed. Next day mechanic says it ran out of gas, added gas started the car. March 29, 2018 car stalls after 5 miles near the ramp of exit. Get the car towed to another mechanic. Mechanic does not find any problems. April 14th, 2018 - car stops on the freeway. Tow it to mechanic mechanic says that its related to fuel tank sensor. This causes a wrong reading of level of gas in the car. Mechanic changes it and car runs ok for 2 months. June 21, 2018 - car stops on the freeway with the same message "service engine soon" with the car on rock icon. I get towing service to add gas and wait for an hour. Restart the car and it works. The message is gone, the icon is gone. This is the fourth time I was stranded on the freeway.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 272018

328

2009 328xi BMW first battery goes dead, one month later car stops while driving, BMW said it was fuel pump and hose, they fixed that, while at dealer they said faulty code came up for alternator. All this within 1 month. No signs of lights dim, car not starting, how does this happen all at once and with no warning.seems there is a bigger issue.dealer fixed fuel pump.but how does alternator go with no signs.

Apr 272018

328

2009 328 xi BMW with 120K fuel pump just breaks. BMW replaced for free due to all the complaints and recall info, this such be a national recall as someones car can just stop while driving, and this is a safety issue.

Apr 242018

328

I was driving my car and it just complete lost power, I called road side assistance and they did some testing. Keep in mind I just got a new battery three months ago, have shown no signs of any power, start up issues, . I just don't understand how a car with a higher standard just dies. They said it was the fuel pump. Its seemly interesting how many people have had the same issue and BMW should be ashamed with themselves not to recall this issue, at least address the people who are having the issue..fuel pump isn't something that should go at 100K.very disappointed. The car will not start, I can get a crank but nothing more.

Apr 242018

328

Takata recall: Just cant believe my car just went dead while driving. There have been issues with the fuel pump but nobody is making people aware of this so it can get fixed.it was really scary. Belt tensioner was replaced from BMW in 2014. Then belt tensioner goes bad again in 2016. Steering super tight, just replaced power steering pump 10 months ago..

Apr 122016

328

The contact owns a 2009 BMW 328I. Whenever the contact placed fuel in the fuel tank, she could only fuel the tank two dollars worth at a time to fill the tank. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic to determine the cause of the failure. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 17V676000 (electrical system) and 17V683000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact called BMW of West houston at (855) 627-3055 (located at 20822 katy fwy, katy, tx 77449) and was informed that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available for NHTSA campaign numbers: 17V676000 (electrical system) and 17V683000 (engine and engine cooling).

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 122017

328

Takata recall: The car while being driven will just stall all power is lost, and then after about 30 minutes it will start back up. It is hard to have it repaired because it is not displaying the issue when the mechanic looks at it. But is shows an errors code of fuel pump over heating. I have had all several repairs done and nothing helps. I can't just keep dumping money in to see if this might eliminate the issue. I see this has been a problem with a number of BMW models. I can not safely drive the car or sell it, it could cause a horrific auto accident. I believe it is an issue involving some part of the fuel pump system. I have seen recalls for some BMW models with these issue but not mine. I have had it in the shop 5 times since April

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 182017

328

I was driving West down route 66 in Virginia. Car had stalled 5 times in a 60 mile trip stating with a message fuel pump failure continued driving is possible. It left me with no power steering or brakes. The vehicle will restart after a 5 minute cool down period and continued driving is then possible. This has been happening with this vehicle since 70K miles.

- Cresskill, NJ, USA

May 052017

328

The contact owns a 2009 BMW 328I. While driving approximately 75 mph, the fuel pump indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled and shut off. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. The contact waited for a while in the presence of a police officer, who was about to call for a tow truck when the vehicle restarted. The contact started to drive away, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA to file a complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Antioch, CA, USA

May 022017

328

While driving the car, it loses power completely and the engine shuts off. This has happened several times while driving on the freeway at high speed. It is a very dangerous situation, as the car quickly decelerates and power steering no longer works. I have been incredibly lucky to be able to get to the side of the highway after losing power each time (it has happened on the freeway 5 times now). The car will not start after it loses power and puts up a random check engine error. Sometimes, after sitting for a period of time, it will start up, but this seems to be completely random, as it happens sometimes, but not always. I have taken the vehicle to BMW several times now and they have replaced several parts and assured me it is fixed, but it keeps happening. I am now very concerned for my family's safety. I realize the car is a 2009 model, and it has a little over 100,000 miles on it, but this type of power loss should not be happening over and over again, especially when it has been taken to the BMW dealer. I have specified the last incident in the "when did this happen" question below, but the problem started about 6 weeks ago.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 052016

328

Driving along at 80 mph on the expressway in rush hour traffic, heading into a curve. Cruise control was activated, service engine light came on, and car shutoff. Was able to activate hazards and maneuver between the car and semi next to me to get to right shoulder. (ditch on left side) once safely off the side of the road tried to restart and car cranked but did not start. Just had fuel pump replaced 6 weeks ago for same cranking, but not starting behavior. BMW has confirmed the new hpfp they put in 6 weeks ago failed.

- Millbury, OH, USA

Jul 202015

328

I had just left home and had been driving for few minutes. Was waiting on top of a small hill at a stop light and started to accelerate when it turned green. That is when the car turned off and started to roll backward down a hill. Had to put on emergency brake and tried to turn on the car but nothing happened. So had to cruise backwards to the side of the road. Power steering was not working and was difficult to steer. After wating 10 minutes tried to restart car again and it turned on. Brought the car in to the BMW dealership and they said they could find anything wrong with the car. Now 4 months later my car is not working at all.

- Peoria, AZ, USA