3.6

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 550:

Oct 112018

550

"takata recall" our car started flashing "increased battery discharge" and "all electrical devices will shut off" we took it to the BMW house. They diagnosed it, as needing a new battery. We replaced the battery and 1 week later the same message came on again "increased battery discharge' "all electrical devices will shut off". we had to take it back to the BMW house and they diagnosed it this time as needing the external door handle replaced, they said the door handle had gone out and that some part in that handle puts the car to sleep but it was not allowing the car to go to sleep and this pulled the battery down. We replaced that. That lasted 2 weeks and again this same message came "increased battery discharge" "electrical devices are shutting down. I was on the way to the BMW house once again it started to smell like wires burning and under the console where the gear is started to smoke bad!! to the point that I parked the car then I called the fire department. Our car had to be hauled to the BMW house. It is unknown why all this happened.

- Somerville, TX, USA

Apr 272018

550

Fuel pump disengages when the car gets too hot. It's happened three times fortunately each time I was going 20 mph or less. The car essentially stalls out and at higher speeds could be an issue. BMW has made a fuel pump recall but the 2012 550I did not qualify and I believe it should.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Dec 222014

550 8-cyl

The car threw a drive train malfunction code which happens weekly on these engines and the car jumped a lane as it misfired and went into limp driving mode. If there was cars next to me there would have been a crash. Since then BMW has issued a customer campaign on the N63 engine effecting thoughts of cars. They are changing tons of parts from injectors to fuel rails. It should be a full blown recall and the NHTSA should get involved on this. My car has been in the shop since 12/23 and still has not been repaired correctly. I have a feeling you are going to be getting thousands of these complaints against BMW. They need to be held accountable for these failures.

- Hopewell Junction , NY, USA

Nov 122012

550

I have a 2012 BMW 550I, crosstrack, V-8, and with only 5500 miles (purchased in July 2012). When initially starting my car on a flat plain, the behavior of the car started to shake fiercely, repeated loss of power, and the I-drive reported the chassis was malfunctioning. Only moderate driving was permitted. The engine light stayed on, and no matter how far the gas pedal was pressed, the car would not gain power. While driving, the car stalled several times as I was attempting to go up the hill to my home. When the car stalled, the gears would not go into neutral or park, and the steering wheel locked up immediately. This experienced was close call to crashing the car and possible sustaining significant injuries. After waiting for three hours, the car started up normally. Several people who have chatted with regarding the 2012 BMW 550I crosstrack, V-8 have reported these same experiences. Apparently the reports all link back to the fuel system. (e.g., fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel sensors, etc.)

- Auburn, WA, USA