9.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 BMW X3:

Jul 252019

X3

While reversing our car in our garage, the car trunk pop open and hit our garage roof creating scratches and peeled paint on the trunk lid.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 092019

X3

Trunk pops open by itself many times while parking

- Hosuton, TX, USA

Jul 152019

X3

First problem is that one three separate occassions my rear hatch/tailgate has opened on its own while parked. Each of the three times the car was parked in the garage and has hit my garage door causing damage. While in the garage, my keys were inside the house and no buttons were pushed on the key fob. I have complained to the dealer about this issue twice now and have not had success in solving the issue. Second problem is that the seat ventilation on the passenger seat has failed three times. Each time the fans within the seat that activate to push air through the vents sound like they are tearing through the seat. Each time the dealer has repaired the issue, only for it to return again. The car is going to the dealer once again after I asked for them to escalate this issue. I have not yet had the car one year. My purchase date was in September 2018.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 252018

X3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2019 BMW X3. While driving various speeds, the liftgate spontaneously opened. Additionally, when the push to start was engaged, the vehicle failed to shut off. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to jackie cooper BMW MINI14145 N broadway ext, edmond, ok 73013, (405) 755-3600), but the cause of the failures could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 100. Consumer stated while the rear hatch opened and spilled groceries all over the street. Dealer was notified and authorized a retention bar to keep most items in place as payment for the lost items. At that time consumer also addressed an issue with the start button not turning off/shutting down the vehicle completely. Dot was notified.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Apr 172019

X3

The tailgate opens on its own. This happens without the key fob being near a person or anything pressing on it. This is a serious safety issue and BMW dealers will not fix it, if they do not see it in person. So, far this has occurred several times while the vehicle was parked in a driveway or in a parking lot.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 202019

X3

When slowly driving up a hill, the tailgate opened and the contents in the back fell out.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Feb 212019

X3

The tailgate opened by itself while I was driving on the highway. I had a short local driving before entering the highway. About 5 mins in the highway at around 60 mph, the tailgate opened by itself. The car felt very noisy and hard to control (I was on a windy highway). I had to exist the highway, stop on a local street, and close the trunk. The same random opening also happened once in my garage while the car was parked and locked, a week ago. With two random opening happened in one week, I am afraid of driving it. You never know when the tailgate will suddenly open again.

- East Amherst, NY, USA