1.9

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Buick Enclave:

Mar 162019

Enclave

We purchased a 2009 GMC Buick Enclave from gillie hyde used cars in glasgow, ky on 3-15-19. Immediately upon driving the vehicle home, we noted that the vehicle shook when accelerating. We immediately took to our mechanic who noted the transmission issue and we researched the vehicle and found that there was a recall on the vehicle with an extended warranty to the transmission as well as the timing as well as the rear tailgate falling after automatically opening. None of these items were listed. Https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/Buick/Enclave/2009/reliability#recalls the recalls were not noted on the carfax provided by the dealership. We feel as though we have been mislead and completely lied to about this vehicle. The vehicle shakes bad. We had transmission fluid changed, oil changed and still shakes. GM knew of the shaking resulting from the timing chain stretching and our dealer did not inform us of this (even when they had another Enclave on the lot with this issue and told us not to buy it). GM continued to manufacture this engine and finally issued an extended warranty: In November 2012, GM released a special coverage adjustment (#11340C) for timing chain wear in 2.8L and 3.6L V6 engines (LP1/LY7/llt).

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Aug 252018

Enclave

Was driving on ramp to enter highway, with my three 6 and younger children, and also 7 months pregnant! the Enclave just stalled and still can not start but one time it did, but it sounded like it was going to blow up making weird noises so I shut it off right away. I have been researching this and I see it is very common with 2009 & 2010 Enclaves. I don't understand why nothing has been done? if this happened shortly later I would have been on the highway and several people could be involved getting hurt or killed. I have had it less than a year, with less than 104,000 miles on it. Also has wheel bearing issues which I replaced front now the rear ones need to be done. What is up with this neglect and no one to assist us consumers until someone gets seriously hurt or killed! now the vehicle is sitting at a garage where towed waiting for report and I have no vehicle so lost my job I have four kids to support. Figured I buy a newer decent vehicle to be dependable & reliable only to find out it's neither only unsafe for my family.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Feb 172018

Enclave

Driving on the highway the rpms started racing and it felt like the transmission was slipping. We started losing power and eventually the car would not shift out of first gear. Carmax had a dealership repair the transmission. We don¿T use this vehicle often so when we drive it several months later it seemed fine initially then after driving it a little more we started having the engine light come on and getting several fault codes and very rough shifting at lower speeds 30-35 mph. In the process of trying to get the issue fixed again.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Mar 152018

Enclave

When driving on highway between 70 and 75 mph the transmission starts slipping and RPM jumps up to 4500. Also encounter the same problem on local street driving between 30 and 40 mph, transmission starts slipping and RPM races from about 1500 to 2800. Took the vehicle to local Buick dealer. They stated there is recall on the transmission for that year but not this particular VIN. This is dangerous as the loss in power almost resulted in me being rear ended a couple of times.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Dec 152017

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. After the vehicle was placed in park, the contact exited the vehicle and heard an abnormal noise. The vehicle rolled back towards the woods. The contact called southtowne Chevrolet (695 bullsboro dr, newnan, ga 30265) and was informed of a recall. The vehicle was towed to southtowne Chevrolet where it was diagnosed that the gear shifter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 012016

Enclave

Car shudders and has problems accelerating when gears shifts. Diagnosis=replace bank 1 camshaft actuator worn timing chains, replace all spark plugs and 3 ignition coils again. (performed pfi system dia test. Codes fired P0017 and P0300 stored. Correlation and misfire coes).

Mar 012017

Enclave

Hard shifting noted in gears. Car acts like it's in neutral when in reverse. Buick dealership says the wave plate is defect. Other 09 Buick Enclaves are covered by specialty policy. 14404 a. but not my VIN VIN. Same make model and transmission. I was told by GMC customer service to complain here.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Aug 062017

Enclave

Driving on a freeway speed posted 80mph, 2009 Buick Enclave RPM's began to shoot from 2000 RPM to 5000rpm when pushing on accelerator. Forward movement continued for short distance at 2000 RPM. Traffic was merging to one left lane for construction on a bridge. Pulled off to the right and stopped. Before entering one lane of traffic over bridge. After putting car in park, I tried to move forward in drive and then reverse. The transmission was completely gone. If I had entered that bridge with traffic pushed into one lane it could have been a disaster. Cars were entering that bridge at at least 70 mph. I feel this is a very dangerous situation and see that GM has extended the warranty on these vehicle transmissions to 120,000 miles. I have owned the car since 30,000 miles and have been the only driver. I am 68 years old and have never towed anything with it. I baby a car. This part failure is very dangerous. If I had not pulled off, I would have put myself and many other motorists in danger.

- Providence, UT, USA

Dec 152016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle hesitated, jerked, and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the #1 cylinder misfired and the plugs and PCV valves were replaced. The mechanic then took the vehicle for a test drive and diagnosed that the transmission failed and the vehicle could no longer be shifted into reserve, third gear, or sixth gear. It was diagnosed that the transmission wave plate failed and needed to be repaired or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that there were no open recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Nov 302016

Enclave

When in reverse, the vehicle will still roll forward on a decline and when drive, it rolls backwards when on an incline. It acts as a stick shift. I was going up an incline coming out of a parking lot and stopped. When I took my foot off of the brake to go, the car rolled backwards and almost hit the car behind me. I pulled into my driveway and took my foot off of the brake and it rolled two lengths before I put on the brake to stop it from going in the street. While reversing into my inclined driveway, if I don't keep my foot on the gas to control momentum or it will roll forward.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Enclave

Have issues with vehicle idling and the car jumps at the point of switching gears. When driving on the expressway the car goes above 50 hesitantly.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 182016

Enclave

Car lost power steering at low speed when making turns.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jan 062016

Enclave

Car spuddering on acceleration and inclines. Check engine light on. Needs all spark plugs and coils replaced again. Codes P0300, P0302, P0303 stored. Miss fire on 2 and 3 cyclinders. Also, needs replace line and recharge system as ac discharge line is leaking.

Dec 162015

Enclave

Check engine light on with reduced engine power message. Also display ac off message and overheat message. Vehicle towed. Pressure tested system found water pump leaking. Removed and replaced water pump. Front timing cover leaking. Removed front engine cover and resealed. Found both front struts leaking. Removed and replaced front struts.

Jan 212015

Enclave

Stabilitrac light on. Found the master cylinder leaking into brake booster and replaced. The front motor mount was also broken.

Jul 132015

Enclave

Driving on interstate 75 North of cincinnati oh in bumper to bumper traffic on 7-13-15 in left lane when buzzer sounded, traction control light came on and engine lost power. Trying to get to shoulder was a bad experience as traffic was having one hell of a time trying to cope with a car that suddenly wasn't moving. How a bad accident didn't happen, I just say it was good luck! we really like our Buick Enclave and would like to keep it. I have a code reader and no code was revealed. I pushed the traction control button several times and reentered traffic and the car ran fine for the next two hours to home......

- Corydon, IN, USA

Jun 282015

Enclave

I had taken the car to Buick dealer for an oil change. I asked them to check if they saw a possible oil leak because I saw a few spots in the garage. They said there was a leak from a rubber bearing and the cost to fix that was 2700. Tool the car sears to have them double check. Sears said there was not leak. There was residual oil from oil change. This was on 06/20. Checked every day after that to see if the oil leaked again and it did not. On 06/28, while coming home with my kids, hear sudden noise, and in a few seconds smoke coming out from left front side of the car...lot of smoke. Got the kids and dog out safely. Tried to turn off the car...I had the key out but the car was still on. It just would not turn off. Tried taking it our of the garage and the steering would not turn. Somehow got the car on the curb and after trying a few time, the car did turn off. Noticed all the coolant had flushed on the floor. Got it towed to the dealer. Dealer said power steering gear and power steering pump burned and needs replacement. Also said it was because of a minor oil leak that was under the engine that caused it. Coolant flushing was covered and GM will pay for the fix but I will need to pay 2500 for the steering gear and pump replacement. This could have been a disaster and life threatening if it had happened at high speed. GM least concerned about it and not supportive or standing behind their cars. I have only 36K miles on it and would not have expected something like this. I read on some forums where a lot of people have had similar issues. For the safety of other Buick Enclave holders, I please request you to have Buick act on this and send a recall.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jun 202015

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into fourth or fifth gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000. MA 10/19/2015 updated 10/26/2017

- Shelby, NC, USA

Apr 012015

Enclave

While driving, vehicle misses occasionally, engine light blinks and transmission has a hard time shifting, then will run fine for a few minutes and do it again, this happens daily and every few minutes.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Mar 162015

Enclave 6-cyl

My dealership identified a significant problem with the power steering gear on my vehicle that constituted a significant safety issue. Had it not been caught, my power steering inevitable would have failed while driving and resulted in a crash. I was also advised by the dealer and have learned through research that this is a very common problem affecting Buick Enclaves and other similar GM SUVS and crossovers. The repair work to correct this manufacturer defect is over $1500 and conveniently not covered by warranty. This is a significant and unacceptable issue and should result in a recall of all affected vehicles and reimbursement of repair costs to affected owners.

- Matwaan, NJ, USA