Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Buick Enclave:

Mar 162019

Enclave

We purchased a 2009 GMC Buick Enclave from gillie hyde used cars in glasgow, ky on 3-15-19. Immediately upon driving the vehicle home, we noted that the vehicle shook when accelerating. We immediately took to our mechanic who noted the transmission issue and we researched the vehicle and found that there was a recall on the vehicle with an extended warranty to the transmission as well as the timing as well as the rear tailgate falling after automatically opening. None of these items were listed. Https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/Buick/Enclave/2009/reliability#recalls the recalls were not noted on the carfax provided by the dealership. We feel as though we have been mislead and completely lied to about this vehicle. The vehicle shakes bad. We had transmission fluid changed, oil changed and still shakes. GM knew of the shaking resulting from the timing chain stretching and our dealer did not inform us of this (even when they had another Enclave on the lot with this issue and told us not to buy it). GM continued to manufacture this engine and finally issued an extended warranty: In November 2012, GM released a special coverage adjustment (#11340C) for timing chain wear in 2.8L and 3.6L V6 engines (LP1/LY7/llt).

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Aug 252018

Enclave

Was driving on ramp to enter highway, with my three 6 and younger children, and also 7 months pregnant! the Enclave just stalled and still can not start but one time it did, but it sounded like it was going to blow up making weird noises so I shut it off right away. I have been researching this and I see it is very common with 2009 & 2010 Enclaves. I don't understand why nothing has been done? if this happened shortly later I would have been on the highway and several people could be involved getting hurt or killed. I have had it less than a year, with less than 104,000 miles on it. Also has wheel bearing issues which I replaced front now the rear ones need to be done. What is up with this neglect and no one to assist us consumers until someone gets seriously hurt or killed! now the vehicle is sitting at a garage where towed waiting for report and I have no vehicle so lost my job I have four kids to support. Figured I buy a newer decent vehicle to be dependable & reliable only to find out it's neither only unsafe for my family.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Jan 302018

Enclave

Sevice stabiltrak light and check engine lightcame on and engine power loss while traveling down freeway. Check out many videos and forums of issues https://youtu.be/hbvaoiixnxy

- Pittsville, WI, USA

Sep 012016

Enclave

Car shudders and has problems accelerating when gears shifts. Diagnosis=replace bank 1 camshaft actuator worn timing chains, replace all spark plugs and 3 ignition coils again. (performed pfi system dia test. Codes fired P0017 and P0300 stored. Correlation and misfire coes).

Dec 152016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle hesitated, jerked, and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the #1 cylinder misfired and the plugs and PCV valves were replaced. The mechanic then took the vehicle for a test drive and diagnosed that the transmission failed and the vehicle could no longer be shifted into reserve, third gear, or sixth gear. It was diagnosed that the transmission wave plate failed and needed to be repaired or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that there were no open recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Jul 012016

Enclave

Have issues with vehicle idling and the car jumps at the point of switching gears. When driving on the expressway the car goes above 50 hesitantly.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 222016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving at about 35 mph, the vehicle stalled making a ticking noise. The contact put the gear in park and restarted the vehicle and drove home. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that a rod in the motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a local dealer for a diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 162,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Somerset, MI, USA

May 302016

Enclave

My Enclave 2009 was caught fire when it was parked stationary in a garage at 9:40am on 5/30/2016. The fire started from the right front of the vehicle, which results in the whole car totaled. Me and my family have been suffering much from this event. It's hard to believe it happened to our vehicle. This vehicle has low mileage (about 30,000), well maintained by us and GM shop in the past (all the records are available in GM system). On 5/31 we reported to GM with detailed information and requested an investigation. On 6/2, customer department contacted me, stating that they don¿T care about the cause of the fire and they don¿T involve in an investigation as we have our insurance covered. I told them no matter our insurance company initiates an investigation or not, as the manufacturer, GM needs to check this vehicle and take responsibility and improve its product if there is a deficit in GM engine. However they still asserted that they don¿T take care of such case. I have kept the record of our conversation in case needed. It's an unhappy experience. All the evidence we got so far suggested it's the problem of the electronical system/engine. We don¿T want it to happen to other people. We hope GM to have someone to initiate an investigation asap.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 162016

Enclave

My 2009 Buick Enclave had to have the timing chains and also 1/4 actulators replaced at just under 78,000 miles. I did go ahead and have the other 3 actulators replaced since they already had to drop the engine out of my car to replace the timing chains. This was a huge expense and after doing some research online it seems that a lot of GM motors from 08/09 have had the same problem.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 022016

Enclave

We have the 3.6L V6 engine, and the timing chain and gears need to be replaced at 89,000 miles - rendering the car unsafe to drive (this has been a known issue across multiple GM cars using this engine). In addition, the steering gear/rack and pinion assembly are faulty along with the power steering pump (also a known issue).

- Clarksville, MD, USA

Jan 062016

Enclave

Car spuddering on acceleration and inclines. Check engine light on. Needs all spark plugs and coils replaced again. Codes P0300, P0302, P0303 stored. Miss fire on 2 and 3 cyclinders. Also, needs replace line and recharge system as ac discharge line is leaking.

Dec 162015

Enclave

Check engine light on with reduced engine power message. Also display ac off message and overheat message. Vehicle towed. Pressure tested system found water pump leaking. Removed and replaced water pump. Front timing cover leaking. Removed front engine cover and resealed. Found both front struts leaking. Removed and replaced front struts.

Jan 212015

Enclave

Stabilitrac light on. Found the master cylinder leaking into brake booster and replaced. The front motor mount was also broken.

Oct 072014

Enclave

Ac blows hot on the drive side. Found to be driver side air actuator. Replaced left side actuator.

Oct 302013

Enclave

Passenger side air vents only blow cold air when heat is selected. All other vents blow hot air. Checked and code B0423 stored. Replaced right temp actuator and reprogrammed HVAC module.

May 102013

Enclave

Engine fan running all the time. Heating/cooling diag was unable to duplicate concern found

Oct 172015

Enclave

Design flaw resulted in a series of codes indicating premature timing chain wear. See tsb - 12-06-01-009-D. GM has opted not to assist in repair of vehicle. Vehicle was parked, now will not start.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 242015

Enclave

Was taking my family up to holland, Michigan for softball tournament. Driving on N75 at 65-70mph when all of a sudden the RPM went out of control, attempted to press on the gas car would not accelerate, sounded like the vehicle would not shift out of present gear. Pulled over to the side of the road. Taken to dealer need whole new transmission.

- Oakland Township, MI, USA

Mar 192015

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after the automatic locks malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,094.

- Gainesville , VA, USA

Apr 022015

Enclave 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and the car begin begain to flash across the dash that it was reducing engine power. This now happens ever so often when I'm driving I was wondering is this a re-call matter?

- Detroit, MI, USA