Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Buick Enclave:

Jun 082013

Enclave 6-cyl Diesel

The power steering loses power when making a turn. The steering still works just with no power assist. This is extremely scary as the wheel suddenly pulls out of your hand unless you are gripping very tightly with both hands. The power steering can then return just as suddenly. The only good thing is that it seems to only happen at lower speeds so while I may hit another car while pulling into a parking space I probably won't kill myself or some other driver while driving at speed.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jun 272013

Enclave 6-cyl

At low speed the steering will not function correctly. I was going thru parking garage and as I turned the steering would not respond. This is now occurring at low speeds and steering locks up.it is ok at above 10mph.

- Anderson, SC, USA

May 012013

Enclave 6-cyl

First noticed problem 5 months after purchase in October 2012. Turning into parking lot, left or right at a stop light, steering wheel locks up. Steering rack replaced and problem is still not fixed. Nothing kicking out code with diagnostics and fluids are fine.

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Jun 262013

Enclave 6-cyl

I was stopped on the street waiting to pull in my drive way as traffic passed. I attempted to turn expecting to pull in as normal but steering wheel locked up and missed driveway. To avoid traffic accelerated into yard due to steering not working as anticipated. Steering returned to normal intermittently.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Jun 012013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2009 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that he had to increase the amount of effort in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Tracey, MN, USA

Feb 152012

Enclave

Purchased June 2009. Coolant level has never stayed at full level. After adding coolant it eventually drops in level. Lately, having problems with the power steering. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to turn wheel. Current mileage is 89,000.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

May 262013

Enclave

Purchased on 05-25-2013 as a replacement vehicle for a 2004 Nissan xterra. Noticed when turning into parking space or driveway that power steering suddenly turned into manual steering and was difficult to turn. Took vehicle in for an unrelated problem( dvd stuck in player) and ask them to check power steering. " maybe low fluid" no problem found. Did some online research only to find this has been a common problem years 2008 to 2010 usually resulting in replacement of pump and rack and pinion.called dealership and reported problem, they are now ordering a steering pump to see if it will fix problem.I have only had the car 3 days and driven 200 miles. Also found that them problem includes GM acadia and Chevy traverse.

- Grove City, PA, USA

Apr 222013

Enclave

I bought my Enclave brand new. I now have 73000 miles on it. We took the car in because it was becoming very hard for me to turn the wheel and I could have been in an accident because of this. The dealership told us that the power steering pump and the power steering rack & pinion had to be replaced! what??!! I had never heard of anyone that I know of having this kind of major issue with their car at 73000 miles. We did some research and found that there have been several other Buick owners with this same issue with fewer miles on their car. This is a safety issue that Buick needs to research and resolve. My other safety problem is the power liftgate. If your car is parked on a hill, the power liftgate will drop on top of you with no warning. The liftgate struts dont work when your car is parked on a slope.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

May 202013

Enclave

I have already had the steering rack replaced previously... now, today, the steering pump is failing and needs to be replaced... this is a safety issue... I have notice a number of other Enclave owners experiencing this problem. There should be a recall on this item.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Feb 152013

Enclave 6-cyl

I was driving with my family on vacation in the mountains and the vehicles steering began to lock up in every turn. We almost hit multiple people. The vehicle drove fine in a straight line it's only when cornering or turning. Took it to a dealer to ask of they have ever heard of this problem because I read numerous incidents online of people having the same issue. Every dealer told me they haven't heard of a steering problem with the Enclave. I really find this hard to believe with all of the post online. They want to replace the entire steering rack at a ridiculous price. I do not believe that the issue they are only guessing! there have multiple occurrences since and very close calls. This vehicle will have to be parked until we get some help with this issue!!!! please help!!!

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Mar 142013

Enclave 6-cyl

Power steering fails intermittently when maneuvering at low speeds executing tight turns such as going into or out of a parking spot. There are many online vehicle owner complaints and this is clearly an accident waiting to happen that the ntsb needs to get in front of.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 122012

Enclave 6-cyl

While driving at very low speed--usually when preparing to park or turning at very low speed, the power assist goes out completely, and to complete turn it is very difficult and much worse than the "old fashion" manual steering systems. No indication that such failure is going to happen and failure is very unexpected. No failure at speeds above less than 5 miles per hour.

- Berkeley Springs, WV, USA

Aug 062012

Enclave 6-cyl

Power steering fails intermittently in parking lots and at slow speeds. Am almost unable to turn the steering wheel at all, then it "gives" causing the car to jerk.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Jun 222012

Enclave

For about a month now, our power steering seems to be tightening up when steering a tight radius like turning a sharp corner or pulling into a parking space. It is very frequent occurring every day now. I have 3 kids I drive daily to multiple locations and am worried about my and their safety. If I was driving at a high speed and had to swerve to avoid something in my path this would make me very nervous. I have read many blogs about this issue and GM had better take this into serious consideration for a world-wide recall. I cannot believe for the price of this vehicle the amount of issues it has. Very very disappointed in this car.

- Arlington, WA, USA

May 152012

Enclave 6-cyl

In the last 2 months, I have had multiple problems with the power steering tightening and locking up, narrowly avoiding running off the road or into another vehicle several times. When I took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic, they declared that the power steering rack had malfunctioned and that there were metal shavings in the power steering pump. Both the power steering rack and pump would need to be replaced. It was also determined that this was not caused by wear and tear. When I researched similar complaints online it appears that this is a recurring problem with the 2008 and 2009 Buick Enclaves due to faulty equipment by GM. I am very concerned that this make result serious accidents and request the NHTSA to look into this matter.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jun 292012

Enclave

The power steering on my 2009 Buick Enclave intermittently (3-4 times per day) locks up preventing me from turning the wheel. After an incident, the power steering seems to re-engage. However, there have been multiple close calls when I have not been able to turn quickly. From the Buick/GM message boards, this seems to be a very common problem with little to no action from Buick/GM.

- Blissfield, MI, USA

Apr 182012

Enclave

Steering went out without warning. Items necessary to correct problem are replacement of power steering and gears. GM does not cover under power train warranty. By simply viewing edmunds.com you will see that this problem has affected multiple years and multiple consumers. The issue is an obvious design problem for Buick and should be recalled and fixed.

- Advance, NC, USA

Mar 162012

Enclave 6-cyl

I was slowing down to make a right turn into my parents drive when the power steering failed (felt like it was locking up). At the time I was pulling a small trailer so I had to pass up the driveway to keep from getting into an accident. I turned around again and everything seemed fine. Later that day it happened again and then it was 6 weeks before it happened again. I called my service advisor who said there may be air in the line. I had just serviced my car. The symptoms continued off and on for several months off and on...and I finally had the rack and pinion replaced on June 14, 2012 as well as the power steering pump. I am very concerned there may be other similar vehicles with similar issues that may cause a serious or even fatal accident.

- Flower Mound, UT, USA

Oct 052011

Enclave 6-cyl

The steering will bind up and almost lock up resulting in a very difficult turn. This is a major safety issue as if the vehicle will not turn there could easily be a crash. This "steering lock up" issue seems to happen while turning into an entrance, or parking lot or turn signal or onto another road. There are no issues while driving but having a vehicle lock up while trying to turn is a problem. This safety issue not only affects the driver and passengers but it also affects the safety of the general public. This vehicle has been in the Buick shop 3 times for this issue-1st time I was told it was the power steering fluid, but that didn't fix it. The second time I was told it was a defective water pump leaking onto the drive belt but that didn't fix it. The 3rd time I was told that they could not find the issue but they would file a claim. Well, the issue still exists and I have emailed Buick customer service with no response but this is a major safety issue that must be resolved!

- White Mills, KY, USA