8.7

Most common solutions:

2. replace piston rings (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Captiva:

Aug 142019

Captiva 2.4L

I have a 2013 Chevy Captiva that has been eating up the oil like crazy. Since around the beginning of the year I have had to add oil 2-3 times between oil changes. My most recent oil change was on 7/5/19 and when I checked it on 7/10 the oil was very low. Brought it in to my service dealer and they told me that the oil control rings on the pistons needed to be replaced due to carbon build-up. My independent extended warranty said it's not something that they cover due to the carbon build-up. My service dealer decided to reach out to GM to see if they could help with some of the cost since it was going to be around $3000 after all was said and done. They had to tear down the engine before an inspector from my extended warranty, CarShield, would come out to inspect it. GM came back and said they would cover 50% of the cost. After looking up issues with the Captiva it solidifies that they know it's an ongoing issue. I really didn't think they would help cover any of the expense because my warranty lapsed at 62,000 miles.

- jessmonch77, Bloomfield, US

Jun 242019

Captiva LS 2.4L I4

GM's 2.4L Ecotech engines are renowned for consuming oil, even to the point of having a class action lawsuit filed against them to repair these defective engines. What I want to know is why only the equinox and Terrain? This engine is in many more vehicles besides these two vehicles including in my Captiva. I have the same issues.

- James T., Genoa, OH, US

Nov 302015

Captiva LT 2.4L

Took the car to a local dealer and they did an oil consumption test. After they changed the oil and it was run for 500 miles the said there was nothing wrong with it. They were told as the dealer I am now going to that it doesn't start drinking the oil until you get over 1000 miles on fresh oil change. It makes no sense that a motor with 54,000 miles on it goes through around 5 quarters of oil between oil changes. Now there is oil going up into the air intake and dripping onto my air cleaner. It can also be seen where it is going into the carb.. I had a 2000 Chevy Tracker with over 180,000 miles on it that only used at most 2 quarts of oil between changes! Are they using carbon rings in these newer engines that they are wearing out so soon?

- brendaslynn6469, Berwick, PA, US