Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Nov 082011

Cobalt 4-cyl

As I was merging onto the highway, my vehicle lost post without an apparent cause. I fortunately was able to steer the vehicle off to the side of the highway, where I removed my key and waited for around ten minutes. I was then able to start my vehicle. I approached a local dealer with the problem and they were unable to tell me a likely cause. It has occurred on several separate occasions in both similar and dissimilar environments since the initial incident, each time with out any precursor event or warning. It is truly frightening!

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Mar 302014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car is not working. At first I thought it was the battery, so I had it changed. I have power but it still will not start. I doesn't make any sounds when I turn the ignition key to start it. There is no hesitation, just pure silence. This is ridiculous! I'm just glad I decided not to go out of town the day it happened. I would have been stranded!

- Kenner, LA, USA

Mar 192014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I shut my 2009 Chevy Cobalt off after I returned home. Upon re-entry, the key would not turn. The car was clearly in park, and the steering wheel was unlocked. Locksmith is coming to replace the ignition key, in the hopes it will fix. I just wanted to report this since the 2005-2007 models of my car are being recalled for the exact same reasons (per GM's number for this recall is 13454). It did not disengage while driving, except for once a week or so ago when I hit a speedbump and had to restart the vehicle, which did work after several attempts.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 062010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving over a road bump at approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resumed normally.the failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the lock cylinder was replaced. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 4,100.

- Brokklyn, OH, USA

Sep 232010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and put my Cobalt in park and could not turn the car off. I went to the Chevrolet dealer and they said it was a faulty ignition switch. I asked how this could happen on a new car. And the dealer said the switch was electronic. The switch was bad. I had to pay to get the switch fixed because the original warranty had expired. I recently contacted General Motors, when I heard about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. General Motors said they could not help retrieve my money back because the recall was not on 2009 Cobalts. I believe Chevrolet was still using the faulty ignition switches on later models. I will not get my money back, but maybe people with later model Cobalts who have the same problem with the ignition switch fixed as a recall. I have since traded in my Cobalt because of the problems with the ignition switch.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Aug 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph and descending down a hill the engine suddenly stalled. The contact restarted the engine and the vehicle operated as normal. The contact indicated the defect occurred a second time while descending down the same hill. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Dec 272013

Cobalt

My car radio automatically switches to aux on its own. This is not just when I go over a bump, or when I'm driving. I can be sitting in a parking lot listening to a radio waiting and out of nowhere the radio cuts out and I look and its in aux mode. I first noticed it doing this when I would come out to my car. I have a remote start and my radio is always on but the volume turned down. For the past month or two I noticed when I came out to my car it was on aux. I knew I didn't leave it that way, so I was so confused on how this could have happened. I would switch it to radio and while I drove to my destination it was fine. Then it started to get worse, happening while I'm sitting in my car in the morning. I'd turn it to radio and seconds later it was switching to aux. I'd be driving down the highway and out of nowhere I lose the radio and look and it's on aux. It's not happening just because I'm driving over a bump, or its getting bumped somehow. It now happens everytime I use my vehicle. If I've remoted started my car, I always come out to it on aux, even though I know for a fact I have not left it that way. I started just turning the radio off when I get out of my car.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Nov 162013

Cobalt

I was driving in a local, when all the sudden, the windshield wiper started pumping water by itself and the wipers went on by itself. When all the water was pumped out, the was a burning odor and smoke started coming out through the ac vents. I turn the ac off; parked on the side, opened the hoop and there was not any smoke coming out any where. I returned inside the car turned on, kept the windows down because of the smell inside, and went back home. I refilled the windshield pump with cleaning fluid, turned the car on, tried the windshield and the are ok. I noticed right after that my ac and or heater is not working at all. I check with a mechanist who told me after several test, that it seems the ac/heater control panel when bad. This incident scared the expletive out of my son who was in the car with me at that time.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Aug 032013

Cobalt 4-cyl

When I drive my car over 60 I get a sway side to side and I feel like its going to sway in to another car when I go by them. I had it in a Chevy dealership to have it fixed and they did nothing but put a pull in the car and it sill sways. I think it has to do with the rack in the car and or the electrical steering in the car. The dealership says " its been fixed in the first recall" well I am saying its not so I think it should be recalled again and fixed right this time....

- Williamson, NY, USA

Oct 062010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the brake light would remain illuminated at all times and functioned properly only intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM needed to be re-calibrated. The vehicle was diagnosed on a later date by a dealer, who stated that the BCM needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was taken to a dealer on numerous occasions for the same failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Apr 152013

Cobalt

Power door locks are defective. My Cobalt locks go up and down by themselves the switches or fob will work. By doing some research online hundreds of people seem to have this problem. It is defective and General Motors should issue a recall about this.

- Mineral Ridge, OH, USA

Mar 162013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that as she attempted to accelerate, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 4/24/13

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the key could not be removed from the ignition. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer stated there were no related recalls. The failure and current mileage was 50,205.

- Casa Grande , AZ, USA

Oct 242011

Cobalt 4-cyl

My taillight assembly is 1/3 filled with water, due to a broken seal (which is allowing water to enter). Due to the broken seal, the water damaged the entire L/R taillight assembly, rear turn signal (drivers rear), the lamps, bulbs, flasher, and switch. Several mechanics said that the broken seal in my 2009 Chevy Cobalt, appears to be a Chevrolet manufacturer's defect.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 312012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I started my vehicle up and parked it in the garage. When I went to remove my key from the ignition, the key wouldn't turn and I couldn't get my key out. In order to turn the car off, I had to remove the fuse and unhook the battery. I'm taking the car to schmidt Chevrolet in centralia, il first thing tomorrow, but there is no active recall on my vehicle at this time. I see that his has been an issue for multiple Cobalt owners and even the mechanics that I was able to get a hold of told me that this is a known issue. I believe that my vehicle should be included in this recall and that any money spent should be refunded to me by Chevrolet for a poorly designed ignition.

- Centralia, IL, USA

Jul 012009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt lt. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start after being informed by neighbors that the headlights and brake lights were illuminated all night. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where they advised the contact that the computer module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the computer several months later. In addition, while driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) however, the failure recurred shortly after having the recall repairs performed. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 100.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Sep 012010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Headlights side marker cover came off on both headlamps not at the same time short time after the first one then the right side came off causes glare. Power locks do not function any more with buttons only function with gear shifter sometimes locks will go lock to unlock by themselves multiple times with or with not driving the car. Contacted GM and they informed me that the headlights are not recalled on my year but they are for the 2005's. obviously they did not fix the problem from then. I will not by another GM product ever.

- Mineral Ridge , OH, USA

Mar 122012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Ignition switch stuck on. Had to disconnect battery and stall car. Found recall # 10256 and called dealer, dealer said they have no recall notice. Dangerous situation for someone that does not know how to disable car.

- Chichester, NH, USA

Mar 102012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Key is stuck in ignition in the on position. Car will not turn off. Had to disconnect the battery (while car is running) to turn off. Although support bulletin 10256 references this exact problem with 2009 Cobalts, GM and dealer are saying that my car is not included in this and I have to pay to get fixed. The support bulletin says dealers fix at no cost through January of 2013. But...my VIN was not included in the support bulletin. This is a serious issue. My daughter was not home when this happened. Having to disconnect the battery while the car is running and damage that may be caused to other equipment because of connecting and disconnecting the battery. I see so many reports of this problem online with some people having issue. How do we get the list of VIN's updated. How do we get the word out to customers that this is a known problem. I am very upset that I have to pay for this. I was told that a key getting stuck in the ignition is a common problem. GM did compromise with me with my deductible but I honestly think this should have been a recall and I should not have to pay for a known issue.

- New Carrollton, MD, USA

Mar 032012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While parked the contact attempted to shut the vehicle off when she noticed that the key had become stuck in the ignition. The contact allowed the battery to die in order for the vehicle to be shut off. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics but the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA