Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

May 242019

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact noticed an abnormal fuel odor outside and around the vehicle. The contact did not know if there was a fuel leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer and dealer were not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fair Dale, KY, USA

Mar 152018

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was no safety pre-inspection sticker when the vehicle was purchased from del Chevrolet (1644 lancaster ave, paoli, pa 19301, (484) 324-4265). As a result, the vehicle failed inspection. The inspection shop informed the contact that the battery needed replacement, the vehicle needed an alignment, four new tires, and a new lower control arm and ball joint. In addition, the vehicle stalled on more than once occasion. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V171000 (electrical system, 14E021000 (electrical system), and 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Jan 052019

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact noticed an abnormal fuel odor inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact also observed fuel leaking from the fuel tank. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the driver's side quarter panel and fuel line were corroded. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 127,500.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Jun 192018

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle took several attempts to start. The vehicle also stated that there was a fuel odor in the cabin of the vehicle when driving and fuel was noticed on the driveway when the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was taken to joseph Chevrolet (8733 colerain ave, cincinnati, oh 45251) for other repairs and the failure began after the repairs. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and only confirmed that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 072017

Cobalt

The key gets stuck in ignition when parking car and turning vehicle off pulling key out gets stuck have to wiggle it out got hit on driverside front end no airbags came out the time I got hit driver side. It was because I tried to stop and vehicle kept accelerating wouldn't stop

- Thousand Palms, CA, USA

Feb 162018

Cobalt

My daughter is driving a car with a fuel leak that is has a recall in some states for the problem but not in mine. Recall # 090226, how is that possible, please help! I think I have to work as hard for my money as other states, and I am certain my car cost as much to purchase as in other states. Her car has fuel dripping between the drivers door and left rear wheel. Appears to be starting around top of tank location.

- Peckville, PA, USA

Sep 132016

Cobalt

Takata recall my vehicle was hit head on I have pictures of the airbag and my head impacting top windshield insurance settle net me 3750. Lumbar 4,5 broken thumb severed from right hand in unconscious attempt to hold my self in seat obviously that thumb gave way but did more than the airbag which did not even clear the steering wheel all my ribs were broken onstar already notified my atty isn't very smart on this I hope the Agency has some way to avoid publicity to hurt any GM but I want to be reimbursed for the time lost approx 1 years at my average earnings and future ability for rehabilitation or minor surgery

- El Toro, CA, USA

Sep 182017

Cobalt

ECM problem. Lost steering and all dashboard information. Vechile does not start.dealer tells me it is a bad ECM and it is $841 to repair it. Including a $250 chargere to diagnose the problem than I find out there was a huge recall on these ecms but for some reason mine was not included. GM should make good on this and replavce it at no charge since they know they have had huge issuyes with this

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jul 152017

Cobalt

Service engine light on along with traction light which appears when engine gets hot usually at an idle. So when traction light is on & your driving in normal traffic, car will slow down and you'll have to step on gas really hard to keep up with traffic, if and when transmission decides to shift gears it will bang really hard into second gear.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Apr 152017

Cobalt

Overheat back in 2014 took in to dealer in richmond ca. Again car overheating told fine by dealer. Summer had to run heater for car to cool down when driving. Even after I put antifreeze in& fluids fine. Would not pass smog for 2016 tags, has 85,000 miles.P03000 random multiple cylinders misfired detected. Was then told need a new engine for 2009 car! just about paid off! replaced gear shift 2years ago! car died while driving all fluids good and battery good! also when driving car seat belt passenger light would lite up w/no one in the seat! called Chevy told my VIN does not match to any of the recalls on Chevy vehicles deal with it!

- Riverbank, CA, USA

Oct 052016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving various speeds, the instrument panel gauges fluctuated and the power steering failed. The low fuel, service traction, power steering, and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over, shut it off, and restart it on the first attempt. However, the failed recurred. The vehicle was operable again after being parked for hours. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 61,000.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Jan 262014

Cobalt

Takata recall, I was driving my vehicle 2 weeks after 2 recalls were repaired on it. It was rush hour I went to push on my breaks and the steering wheel locked and the car turned off, at this point im freaking out. I contact Chevy service for assistance and they advise that they can not fix the problem because the recall was repaired they also could not duplicate the problem because it was to dangerous for their employees. So I ask the bank to refinance me another vehicle because this car was way too dangerous to put my baby in, they said no due to my credit. I then had them repo the vehicle because I would not continue to pay for a death trap. Now they are suing me for the remanding balance on the vehicle. I am going to court and wondering if I have a case.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 302016

Cobalt

The car lights will flicker on and off while driving. Strong smell of gas after I put the car in park. Been going on for the flickering 2 months now. For the fuel 2 weeks now

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 192016

Cobalt

I have recently had my Cobalt to the Chevy dealership in redlands ca due to a horrible gas smell. The dealership looked if my car was under recall for the fuel pump however it was not. I indeed had a crack on the fuel pump having to replace it as the fuel smell was over the top. I paid for the part and labor out of pocket yet wonder why my VIN was not recalled when I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt with the exact same fuel pump issue"?"

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Mar 152016

Cobalt

Driving on a highway going 65 mph and the check engine light came on along with the traction light. The display says engine power reduced, service traction. I was nearly rear ended when this happen because my car automatically slowed down to 10 mph and stalled out and was barely able to get it over to the shoulder. I keep going to different mechanics and everyone says its something else and I have already sank over $1500 into this and yet it is still happening with no end in sight!!

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jul 112011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While attempting to drive, the gear shifter seized without warning. The contact stated that the air bag and check engine warning lights illuminated randomly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the vehicle began to overheat randomly. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000. Updated 01/11/2017

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Oct 062015

Cobalt

I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt and since I purchased it it has been problem after problem first the key got stuck in the ignition before the recall. I had to spend all day at the dealership, then I had to take it back for the ignition switch recall. Next it was taken back for suspension problems and a cracked steering column, now I kept hearing a noise when I pressed the gas to speed up took it to two places and it was the catalytic converter which cost me $1,548 out of pocket because the warranty I had didn't cover the catalytic converter this car only has 89414 miles on it I keep up the maintenance but this car is beginning to make me not want to buy any american car ever. I initially purchased the car because it was economy car, good on gas which is still good on gas. I seen in the earlier models there were recalls on the catalytic converter so I was trying to find out if there were any on this particular model? when I purchased this car I was happy about the the car but problem after problem is beginning to be more than I can handle and the last thing is this catalytic converter, thank god I had the money. The catalytic converter was cracked and gaskets had to be replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 162014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after the vehicle was refueled, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that cylinder number three needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,127. Updated 7/29/15 MA 10/19/2015 MA 10/22/2015 updated 10/18/2017

- Eden, NC, USA

Mar 052014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While operating the vehicle, the check engine sensor light illuminated and the vehicle experienced mis-firing. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the valve in the number two cylinder was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. Also, the contact indicated that the air bag light would randomly turn on while operating the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Milwalkee, WI, USA

Jan 122015

Cobalt

Service engine light has been on intermittently for a year. Dealer said it was probably due to a loose gas cap and nothing more. Engine started shaking when stopped at stop lights and the service traction and traction off lights would come on. The engine light would start blinking, and if the car was stopped for too long the engine would shut off. One mechanic said it was the cam shaft, which I got fixed and still continued to have the same problem. Took it to another mechanic who replaced the cylinders. Problem continues to occur which engine shutting off if stopped longer than a minute.

- Aurora, IL, USA