Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Jul 012019

Cobalt

My car fuel pump modulator problem. That has been on recall. But not for my vehicle. I do not know the history of what stat it origionally was bought in. But I think if those cars have recall why shouldnt mine? it now leaks gas under gas tank and when I tried to start it gives me hard time. It started 7/2019. Makes car bog down when accelerating. Does it sitting and when moving

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jun 272019

Cobalt

Car was stationary then got in and car wouldn┐T start and key wouldn┐T go to off position once key was inserted. After jump start all information miles etc was cleared. When driving seems like it won┐T go into next gear. Speedometer stopped working and going slow even 20 mph ramps up to 4-4.5 RPM. Power steering warning and, airbag warning stays on in addition to engine light. Tire pressure information started working on 3 of 4 when stopped working a year ago.

- Elwood, IN, USA

Jan 292019

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle did not start and spilled fuel without warning. The vehicle was towed to scenic Chevrolet (864-622-2555, located at 3449 blue ridge blvd, West union, SC 29696) where it was stated that the repairs for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) could not be performed due to corroded fuel lines. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not assist. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 48,000.

- Central, SC, USA

Mar 042019

Cobalt

Wiring harness in driver's side front door creates an electrical short that disables side impact sensors/airbags. Symptoms match exactly the an existing recall (15V500000) that lists only the 2010 model year as being affected. The disabling of the airbag happens every time the driver's side window is rolled down. This occurs when driving and stationary.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Mar 152019

Cobalt

My daughter was in a wreck 3/15/19. Her car flipped and she and her friend were injured. Not one airbag deployed

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Nov 062018

Cobalt

My power steering is having issues and I am unable to turn my wheel at times the speedometer and rbm goes back and forth and the whole car shifts when I drive.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 032018

Cobalt

Takata recall my fianceand my son was involed in a crash hit on drivers side none of the airbags deployed not front or curtain the both lost their lives my 29 yr old soon to be wife and my 7yr. Old son was killed on augest 3rd 2018 when hit by a tri axel truck on the drivers side after the car went into a slide for an unknow reason but the airbags failed my son would still be alive if the side bag would of went off he was in a restraint seat in the back he was still strapped in he died from blunt froce trauma to his head which if the airbag would of went off it would of softened the blow Chevy sucks the airbag people need to be held responsible Chevy needs to be held responisable I lost my family I lost my only car I am broken I want someone to take responsab;ilty and face what they may we buy your cars with the airbags thinking they R safe well wrong my son should be here with me today not laying in the ground I want to save someones child stop supporting Chevy and takata they make junk sell junk they dont care about you or your family all they R after is your moneyoh yeah she was estamatied speed of 35 in a 45 zone so dont try to say it was speed something caused the car to go into a slide but the airbags failed sleep with that on your minds my 7 yr old son is gone she was negogingating a left hand turn in the road she was on state rout 53 in madera Pennsylvania

- Houtzdale, PA, USA

Sep 032018

Cobalt

Air bag light has been on for a long time.but I noticed a puddle of gas under car and had to take it in to get fixed I have read on here many problems with this same issue hopefuuly it will be a recall

- Alliance, OH, USA

Jul 152018

Cobalt

This has happened twice, my car wont start and the anti theft on the dash comes on but there's nothing on to kill the battery. Also sometimes while driving my service air bag light comes on but goes off right after. Last thing is my power locks would go crazy just locking and unlocking either when the car was off or in motion.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Apr 262018

Cobalt

While I was starting the car my air bag lights started blinking on and off. While traveling on city streets the air bags was also blinking on and off.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 072017

Cobalt

The key gets stuck in ignition when parking car and turning vehicle off pulling key out gets stuck have to wiggle it out got hit on driverside front end no airbags came out the time I got hit driver side. It was because I tried to stop and vehicle kept accelerating wouldn't stop

- Thousand Palms, CA, USA

Sep 132016

Cobalt

Takata recall my vehicle was hit head on I have pictures of the airbag and my head impacting top windshield insurance settle net me 3750. Lumbar 4,5 broken thumb severed from right hand in unconscious attempt to hold my self in seat obviously that thumb gave way but did more than the airbag which did not even clear the steering wheel all my ribs were broken onstar already notified my atty isn't very smart on this I hope the Agency has some way to avoid publicity to hurt any GM but I want to be reimbursed for the time lost approx 1 years at my average earnings and future ability for rehabilitation or minor surgery

- El Toro, CA, USA

Jul 062017

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While idling at a red light, another vehicle traveling approximately 50 mph rear ended the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact struck the preceding vehicle. The trunk of the contact's vehicle was pushed into the back seat approximately four inches from the front seat. The front of the vehicle was buckled into the windshield. None of the frontal air bags deployed. A police report was filed. The passenger was taken to the hospital by ambulance and was unconscious. The driver refused medical treatment, but was taken to the hospital later by a family member. The vehicle was towed to a junk yard. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired per an unknown recall in may of 2014 by levis Chevrolet in slidell, Louisiana for an electrical repair on the ignition, which may have prevented the air bags from deploying according to the recall notification. The insurance company had not determined if the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 152017

Cobalt

Overheat back in 2014 took in to dealer in richmond ca. Again car overheating told fine by dealer. Summer had to run heater for car to cool down when driving. Even after I put antifreeze in& fluids fine. Would not pass smog for 2016 tags, has 85,000 miles.P03000 random multiple cylinders misfired detected. Was then told need a new engine for 2009 car! just about paid off! replaced gear shift 2years ago! car died while driving all fluids good and battery good! also when driving car seat belt passenger light would lite up w/no one in the seat! called Chevy told my VIN does not match to any of the recalls on Chevy vehicles deal with it!

- Riverbank, CA, USA

Dec 122012

Cobalt

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 40 mph and attempting to come to a stop, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. The brake pedal depressed all the way to the floorboard independently. As a result, the vehicle failed to stop and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags deployed with excessive force. The contact had to puncture the air bag to avoid suffocation, which caused the air bag to explode. The contact sustained back, neck, and ear injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a towing yard and was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jul 032015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 35 mph, a second vehicle crashed into the passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The front and side curtain air bags did not deploy. The driver suffered back and neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The contact also indicated that the ignition switch was faulty and the vehicle would suddenly shut off while driving. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 41,147.

- Hialeah Gardens, FL, USA

Jul 112011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While attempting to drive, the gear shifter seized without warning. The contact stated that the air bag and check engine warning lights illuminated randomly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the vehicle began to overheat randomly. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000. Updated 01/11/2017

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Mar 122016

Cobalt

My 2009 Cobalt began jerking when accelerating over the last few months and just 3 days ago, as I was driving down the road, my car stalls and won't turn back on. After looking at symptoms, it is very apparent that the fuel pump has gone out

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Cobalt

"takata recall" I was driving to work. Went over an icy bridge. Lost control, spun, and went down hill and into the trees. Airbags never deployed on impact. The car is completely totaled.

- Dover, NC, USA

Jul 012015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to be repaired but the issue recurred. The details of the repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,428. Updated 04/22/16 consumer stated the service light and message has not come on since 2/21/16 updated 05/30/18

- Summit Hill, PA, USA