Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Colorado:

Sep 132018

Colorado

Complete shutdown of electrical system. Occurred while moving at 50 mph on a state highway and occurred 2 more times within last 48 hours while stationary and trying to start the truck. I hear a clicking sound from behind the left end of the dashboard.

- Selbyville, DE, USA

Jun 022018

Colorado 5-cyl

Dealer refused to honor a tsb - 09V310000 - concerning a failed / malfunctioning brake light switch. The consumer was informed the recall was expired. The consumer stated the recall was not performed because the consumer does not reside in louisana or Georgia.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Mar 262018

Colorado

About 3 times a week my truck will not crank and IżM there having to jump it offf. I tried putting a new battery in but it still does it. I donżT see this helping me out if IżM having to rush to the emergency room or if IżM somewhere and need to leave immediately.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 152018

Colorado

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving 55 mph, the headlights and instrument panel lighting shut off. There were no warning indicators illuminated before or during the failure. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Ontario, WI, USA

Feb 232018

Colorado

GM has an ongoing problem with this range of trucks in regards to the pass-lock anti-theft module being defective. What happens is the truck intermittently thinks its being car jacked and the anti-theft system activates, leaving you stranded for approximately 10 mins. I have been stranded multiple times, first having the truck towed to a repair shop just for it to start right up. I was curious to what GM is doing about this well-documented problem and why it has not made the list for recalls or campaigns as of yet. This issue is a very costly recurrent repair (due to the replacement part being the same defective anti-theft module). Many GM forums along with youtube videos have shown this problem has been presented to GM without any discussion of resolution. I feel that this issue of intermittent not starting problem due to a defective anti-theft module should be considered a safety hazard. As a long-standing Chevy customer I feel obligated to seek resolution along with reimbursement not just for myself but to the other thousands of Chevy truck owners with the same issue.

- Corona, CA, USA

Nov 162017

Colorado

Vehichle will not start when padlock dash indicator is blinking, if you wait 10-15 minutes padlock dash indicator will stay steady and vehichle will start. This has happened off and on going on 6-8 years now. You never know when the vehicle will do this, when I took it to the dealership it was working fine and they dealer would not look at it. A lot of other people have had the same problem according to some of the online forums I have visited. The ignition switch is bad but GM won't aknowledge the problem exists. Bought the vehicle new and it has happened on and off again for 6-8 years.

- Millbrook, AL, USA

Nov 142017

Colorado

Will not start when dash padlock indicator is blinking. After waiting 10-15 minutes the indicator will stay solid and vehicle will start. Does this off and on every week or so. You do not know when it will happen. Dealership would not check it out as it did not occur when I was there. They do not acknowledge this as being a problem but checking online forums a lot of other people have had the same problem.

- Millbrook, AL, USA

Dec 012016

Colorado

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Colorado. Once the vehicle was shifted into the on position, the vehicle was not operable for ten minutes. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the passlock sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 48,000.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Jul 282017

Colorado

Sporadically when trying to start the vehicle, it will not start. Then after 10 to 15 minutes the vehicle will start. This is not a consistent issue. This occurs anytime and anyplace. From research on the internet, this appears to be an ignition switch defect. Here is a video of this issue: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=uszglhthdwo

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 102015

Colorado

Truck starts fine except about every month on average I will go to start truck and nothing happens. At first I thought I had a dead battery. After the third time this happened I googled the problem and found out it was the passlock system. If I wait ten minutes truck starts. This first started to happen around two years ago.

- Bear, DE, USA

Feb 012012

Colorado

My truck will not start sometimes. This happens randomly. It might start fine for several months, then it will not start every other day or week for several weeks. I have found through trial and error and internet research, that it will eventually start after waiting either 10, 20 or 30 minutes. I never know which one. This not starting has, so far, only been a nuisance because I am retired and I have been able to use our other car if it is here. I have been late to some appointments and stranded for some time in parking lots. I am concerned that there might come a time when I need the truck for some emergency or to leave an area right away. I had taken the truck to the dealer twice several years back on related ignition issues when the truck was still under warranty, and the dealer was very good at correcting those issues. I don't know if they are related to this not starting issue or not, so I am uploading copies of the work orders.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 082012

Colorado

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the vehicle did not start after turning the key in the ignition. The contact stated that the vehicle must remain parked for ten minutes in order to become operable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact initially believed the failure was due to a dead battery. The contact replaced the battery, but the failure recurred. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Florence, KY, USA

Nov 112016

Colorado

My Colorado would not start sometimes when we stopped for something or would not start in the mornings and I missed work because of it, and it would start later on, it was getting frightening and discouraging.I taught to trade it but I like to keep it because I love it.I was charged $400 to get it fixed(I hope)that, not fair please see if I can get a refund, cause I am having a rough time right now.thanks.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Nov 082016

Colorado

Sometimes won't start without waiting 10 minutes because pass lock light is on seems to be becoming more often. Seen online it's a common problem with this model? it can be dangerous depending on the situation you are in especially where I live in indianpolis.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 042016

Colorado

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost power and the instrument panel dimmed. The ABS and brake warning indicators illuminated. Later, the contact was unable to unlock the doors. The contact jiggled the key for a while to unlock the door. Also, it took several attempts to start the ignition. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a local dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failures. The failures recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed there was a loose ground harness connector at the front passenger side inner fender, below the air filter box. The dealer cleaned and tightened the ground harness connector cable. The failures recurred after six weeks. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,289.

- Frackville, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Colorado

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. After waiting ten minutes, the vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. On numerous occassions, the vehicle failed to start on the first attempt and operated only after waiting ten minutes. The sporadic failure became progressively worse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they were unable to duplicate or locate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Luling, TX, USA

Dec 192015

Colorado

Driving straight at 55 mph on Indiana highway 3 with cruise on engine died and would turn over but not start.coasted off onto a country road, had the Colorado towed to a auto repair shop.repair shop found a blown 20 amp ignition fuse, replaced fuse and engine started up ran fine.repair shop could not get the fuse to blow again.on other internet sites people have had the same problems, but no GM service bulletins or recalls.the truck has about 80,000 miles on it.I'm concerned I may have a wreck or get killed if this happens again.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Dec 062015

Colorado

On December 6, 2015 I was driving my Colorado when I smelled an electrical fire. A few minutes later my passenger told me to pull over. There was a fire on the passenger side under the glove box. It was the ac blower fan resistor. We were able to get to a fire extinguisher and put it out but after some research found that it is a common problem in Chevy starting in 2005. I called GM and started a claim. I then took it to a Chevy dealer to be fixed. I was informed that because the truck was out of warranty that it was not covered by GM and I would have to pay $1700 to have it fixed. This is a factory part. I have never had any modifications done to the vehicle sine I drove it off the showroom floor.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 162015

Colorado

On Friday morning at 8:10am I was driving on my way to work down auburn way when my Chevrolet Colorado began to smell like something electrical was burning seconds later I noticed smoked coming from under my glove box on the passenger side. A few second S later I saw flames dripping down to my floor board. It all happened very quickly and soon as I pulled into a side road I tried to look around to see where the fire was coming from and I even attempted to put out the fire started on my floor mat but in second the truck caught fire and I was only able to get a handful of my papers and my sons car toy before the flames really took hold. I called 9-11 and they responded rarely quickly considering the station is about a mile away. But by the time they arrive the truck was fully engaged in flames. When they finally were able to put it out the fire captain said it seemed to have started U dear the hood as electrical fire and blew right the fire way. Had I been on the highway the fire would have got oxygen and I may not had had a chance to get out.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Oct 082015

Colorado

The truck is still experiencing "no-starts". I have been in correspondence with GM to try to resolve the issue for quite some time, now. I purchased my truck from van Chevrolet in carrollton, Texas on July 27, 2009. I was not aware of a recall on the fuel system control module( recall #08411 beginning May 18, 2009), nor was I informed of it by the dealership. Smart Chevrolet of white hall (formerly of pine bluff) claimed to have repaired it in 2011, however I have had even more issues since then. Smart claimed to have replaced a brake lamp switch, a clutch safety switch, repaired a broken wire in the left door jam area, replaced a battery (my cost), without my permission to do so, reset sensors which they refused to explain the type of sensors they reset (my cost), reset oil life sensor, (no record of oil change) and I have had to replace the right side headlamp twice myself. Smart blamed the "no-starts" on my locking gas cap and the floor mats, and on my last visit to their dealership, refused to witness (for GM) the" no-start" in their parking lot. Two other dealerships have taken a look at the truck and I paid for repairs of a seat belt pretensioner ( cause of airbag light), and have been refused an invoice and to be charged to show the repair of the broken wire in the same door jam (smart supposed to have repaired). This dealership admitted witnessing the "no-start" then changed their story after speaking with GM. The last dealership, after talking to GM, tried to also say that the "no-start" was due to the floor mat. I experienced "no-starts" before I had the locking- gas cap(made specifically for the 2009 Colorado truck) or my truck floor mats. GM offered a subscription to on-star and a $2,000 loyalty voucher towards the purchase of a new Chevy vehicle in their words "to satisfy me" (joke, right !) the key is turned in the ignition, the car does not crank.

- White Hall, AR, USA