Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

Feb 012019

Cruze

My brakes keep going "hard" and not functioning properly. About a year ago I had my master cylander, brake booster, microswitch in the brake vacuum line, maf sensor and air intake hose replaced because the mechanic said those were the issues, I went 2 weeks without my vehicle, including breaking down for multiple days out of state. Now here I am with the same issues. Before I had them replaced I was told that the microswitch in the brake system was already recalled and replaced. But since then it has failed again. I was told by Chevy that they only do the recall once, but if they are replacing it with a faulty part shouldn't that be recalled again? I have two toddlers in my vehicle regularly and losing the power brakes could end very bad. The power brakes fail almost every day, usually the first time I hit the brakes after starting to vehicle. Witch make me think that its going to completely fail again soon.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jan 082018

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving various speeds, the transmission failed. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated improperly between the third and fifth gears. Furthermore, the vehicle failed to accelerate forward in the middle of oncoming traffic on several occasions. The contact stated that the vehicle's manual transmission would not shift properly after it was engaged in third gear. The vehicle failed to accelerate to highway speeds, when necessary. An independent mechanic was made aware of the failures. Autonation Chevrolet laurel (500 Washington blvd, laurel, Maryland 20707, (240) 294-5149) requested that a diagnostic be performed on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,560.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Apr 172018

Cruze

Car does not run right. When accelerating the car does not budge and stalls out. Found out if the ac is off it is less likely to stall out after stopping. Was told it is a possible clogged catalytic converter. The stabilitrak and traction control wanings pop up. Took it to auto zone and they told me it was bad gas. Something is off and it's not a easy diagnosis.

- Carterville, IL, USA

May 162018

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 4 mph, the cruise control seized and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The contact stated that the failure also occurred while the vehicle was in reverse. In order to stop the vehicle, extreme pressure had to be applied to the brake pedal. The failure occurred several years ago and was taken to riley Chevrolet Buick GMC (2033 christy dr., jefferson city, mo 65101). The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired, but the specifics were not provided. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the same dealer where it was diagnosed with a brake micro vacuum switch failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in a recall for the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Holtssummit, MO, USA

Dec 052017

Cruze

"transmission defect" a year ago I brought my 2012 Chevy, Cruze to be inspected for stalling problems (hesitates) when increase in speed and jerks especially driving up a hill. I had to pay out of pocket for a diagnostic to indicate why it was hesitating when driving. Mechanic could not find code indicating any problem with the trans. Today, I'm without my vehicle for more than a week because my transmission went out in the middle of the road as I was driving. General Motors is only willing to pay a third of the cost to get it repaired. I want restitution.I should not have to pay for something I warned them about a year ago when I still had a warranty at the time. If a mechanic doesn't see a code reading, it does not justify charging the customer after the complaint was reported. I have receipts showing proof of documentation indicating what I was bringing it a year ago. I believe they should take into consideration the customer's complaint, regardless codes not reading.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Nov 142017

Cruze

This car has had issues since we purchased it brand new in 2012. Does not accelerate when merging on freeway or trying to pick up speed. It puts the driver at a very high risk of an accident. This car was purchased for my daughter to attend college and she feels very unsafe. We have had to have it towed and taken into shop several time for check engine light and loud shaking noise. This car has been nothing but a nightmare and seem to think based on reviews that these cars fall into the lemon category. We will be taking it to a very reliable mechanic this week and will wait to see what they find.

- Ripon, CA, USA

Nov 072017

Cruze

I was driving down the interstate and my car started to lose power. The engine reduced power and service stabilitrak messages came up and the check engine light and traction control light came on. I got of the interstate and putted along, barely able to accelerate at stop lights, until I made it to my local Chevy dealership. They don't seem to know what is going on and I'll probably end up doing a trial and error with sensors and throttles. A few weeks ago a similar incident happened while I was driving down a residential road (25mph), but everything turned off (dash, A/C, radio, digital speedometer, etc) and my car powered off for a few seconds and then came back on again. This is seriously a scary problem to have.

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Aug 052017

Cruze

Chevrolet Cruze 2012 delayed steering when turning, then sluggish would not go past first gear. I was driving on city street noticed difficulty turning and slowness so stopped at nearest gas station. Got vehicle towed to dealer and diagnosed with transmission failure. This was sudden, always kept up with regular maintenance, oil changes & tune ups! this should not happen to a car barely 5 years old car and well maintained!

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Jun 282017

Cruze

Car when in park with parking break and idiling in neutral. The steering wheel will jerk, the speedometer will spike at max speed and doors will lock and all dash lights flash on. While driving down the road between 25 to 45 mph the radio will turn itself off and then back on for no reason. Also while turning at slow speed, car will reset itself. As in it will lose all power to the power steering, ac, radio, everything and you will have to restart the car. Not safe at all when driving in traffic.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 162016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving 70 mph, the engine revved but the vehicle failed to move forward. The roadside assistance indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer were it was diagnosed that the accelerator pedal was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,474.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Sep 162016

Cruze

Ive had my car for 2 years now. After the first year I began noticing the engine would be going at a steady speed and if you began to accelerate the engine would rev or stall and the rpms shoot up. The only way to keep it from producing the actions is to slowly accelerate. The engine is sluggish and does this while in cruise control.. after getting the complete read, it was said the 02 sensors were out. The engine is now to the point it will randomly be going and the engine light will start flashing and all speed is reduced. They were replaced, but the problem persisted. The car stalls out so often I refuse to take it in to cities or onto the interstate. I will be going back to a truck after this is paid off! will be going to the dealership this week!

- Marion, LA, USA

Apr 152016

Cruze

I was starting to cross a busy intersection when the engine loss power light and stability control light came on. Car would not go over 5 miles an hour. Just about 90 days ago it was at the Chevy dealership for same problem where the throttle body and all sensors were replaced.

- Bremen, GA, USA

Jan 292016

Cruze

61,000 miles and car is showing repeated P2135 codes for throttle/pedal senor issue and places the car in limited power mode. Event has happened during warm-up, at stop signs and lights, local street speeds, and during highway travel/speeds. I have cleared the issue using obd II tool and phone app.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Jul 122013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at any speed, the stabilitrak and power steering lights illuminated. The vehicle failed to accelerate, lost power, and stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ECM and the BCM were not connecting. The technician reset the computer; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Conway, NH, USA

Sep 112015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle and shifting into reverse, the vehicle drifted and accelerated independently, causing the contact to crash into another vehicle. The contact shifted into drive and crashed into the garage and the toolshed from their residence. A police report was filed. There was one injury reported that required medical attention. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 23,300.

- Warren, OH, USA

Sep 082015

Cruze

I have noticed that the acceleration takes alot to go from 0-30 mph and when it does the car feels as though it will stall. There is a half tank of gas, and no indication it should be doing this. Oil is changed regularly. This has happened a few times before this incident of today. The gas pedal needs to be almost to the floor for it to even pick up and when it does accelerate it jumps between the gears and the RPM goes beyond 4-5 to get it to even 20mph. I did have an incident when the car stalled as I was in reverse. That happened at around 30-35K miles. I decided to google the acceleration issue and see I am not the only one. My car itself has had 3 recalls fixed.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 292014

Cruze

Driving down highway and the dic starts flashing and then the power steering failed and the car then lost power and the engine cut out. I was able to pull the car over to the shoulder and stop the car. I was able to restart the vehicle. I took to dealer and they replaced the negative battery cable. I soon received an extended warranty for the cable from GM for 10 yrs or 120000 miles. So they are aware of the issue and cars cutting out and losing power on the highway is not considered dangerous to the drivers or their passengers.

- Islip, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at any speed, the vehicle failed to accelerated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 27,800.

- Rio Grande, TX, USA

May 012014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving with the cruise control set to 75 mph, the vehicle traveled at 80 mph independently. Additionally, while reversing at very low mileage, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and reversed into a pole. The contact was able to drive away from the scene without any injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times however, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The contact believed that the vehicle had a "mind of its own" and would erroneously perform in ways that it was not designed. The contact requested the bluetooth be removed from the vehicle and inquired about having the gps removed, as she believed that the transmitter was the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was contacted, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Hendreson, NV, USA

Jun 232015

Cruze

My Chevy Cruze has been experiencing similar problems from past repairs and would shut off while driving. While driving the car would lose power, multiple warning lights would flash on the dash, the car would lose the ability to accelerate and the doors would unlock while driving. This has occurred several times yesterday (6/23/15): While driving over a bump at a low speed and while merging onto the freeway at about 60mph. During yesterday's incident I had to go into the emergency lane and put my emergency lights on as my car lost the ability to accelerate. The car lost power for a few seconds and the car would gain power immediately after. There have been two prior incidents where my car has lost complete power while driving, both times a safety report has been filed. This is a very scary issue and hope that this does not occur again.

- Murrieta, CA, USA