Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

Mar 062019

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that mist from the heater blew inside the vehicle and created an abnormal odor. In addition, the instrument control indicators illuminated. The mist prevented the contact from seeing out of the windows. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that a new water pump was needed. The mechanic flushed out the system and placed a new heat system in the engine with new anti-freeze. The failure recurred later the same week. The manufacturer and dealer were not contacted. The failure mileage was 167,000.

- Emmett, ID, USA

Jul 252018

Equinox

The engine light came on. On-star codes are P0137 and P0128. I have 81,368 miles/130948,843750 km. I was driving.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jun 112018

Equinox

In April of 2015 I purchased a 2006 Chevy Equinox from sid dillion Chevy dealership. Approximately 1 month after having the vehicle it rained and water had leaked into driver side floor board. When I started the vehicle it started but there was no acleration and the car wouldn't drive when put in gear. I informed the dealership and was instructed to bring the vechical back out the dealership to be looked at. In finding they informed me that it was sunroof drain that backup and leaked water into my driver side floor board, also leaking water on to the throttle sensor which is located on the gas pedal. They informed me that drain had been blown out and the error code was reset and the vechical ran again. This problem happened again a few months later and I was again instructed to bring the vehicle back to the dealership, this the same procedure was done as before and I asked what can be done to fix this problem and was informed that due to the design of the sunroofs drain, when it rains I will have water that leaks into vechical if there is large amounts of rain and that because there are no broken parts the problem can not be fixed. I informed Chevrolet main center of the issue and was informed that there has never been any recalls on the vechical and to take it to the dealership to have the problem fixed. I've taken preventive measures but keeping the drian cleared and when the problem happens resetting the error codes, but last week 06-07-18 I had the line cleared and the following day it rained and the throttle sensor errored reset the code and vechical ran. Yesterday while driving I got caught in heavy rainfall the vechical completely stopped in the middle of a 4 lane busy road and would not move, water began leaking into the driver side and also from the pedal and intior lights. I'm very fearful of driving the vechical. This problem is very dangerous and unsafe.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 062018

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving various speeds, the check engine indicator illuminated, the heat in the vehicle did not work, and the vehicle overheated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who could not diagnosis the failure. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jul 202014

Equinox

3.4L GM power plant used in untold amounts of vehicles blowing head gaskets, and intake gaskets since 1996. I design flaw that was never addressed. They should be held accountable for that. We cant keep allowing companies to take advantage of hard working people buy selling them junk. All of them need to be held to a higher standard.

- New London, CT, USA

Dec 122016

Equinox

No heat coming from the vents and it won't defrost the front windshields or the back glass, most frustrating things is not heat in the car at all during winter. Took it to the shop said either blend door stop working or its broken. Need help miss paula jacks mother of 2very cold with out heat. Stop working when I left work.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012017

Equinox

Temperature blend door can cause accident cause it won't defrost windows

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Feb 022017

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving various speeds, the check engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle overheated. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that they were not aware of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was approximately 63,000.

- Reading, PA, USA

Apr 122017

Equinox

In all driving modes, heater only blows cold air, not hot air

- Diamond Point, NY, USA

Aug 032016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. It was diagnosed that the power control module and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

May 272016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the ignition failed to turn without warning. sometimes, the contact was unable to place the key in the ignition or remove the key from the ignition. Also, the vehicle overheated and the temperature gauge increased. When the vehicle was turned off, the engine fan ran for an hour afterward, which caused the battery to fail. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Jul 142016

Equinox

The key is hanging up in the ignition after turning vehicle off. It is often difficult to put the key back in the ignition to then start it again. The vehicle now stalls while running without notice. When it does, all power cuts off (power brakes, traction control, lights radio, breaks - anything electric shuts off. Have been able to pull the vehicle over and restart it almost immediately. Happens on the street as well as freeway. I wonder whether this is covered by a recall or something. Please let me know as this does not seem to be very safe.

- Pleasant Valley, MO, USA

Apr 122016

Equinox

Vehicle randomly shuts off completely at different speeds while driving. It has happened once every three days up to 6 times in 20 minutes. It has occurred on the freeway and city streets. Had PCM reprogrammed, no luck. I have been testing different fixes. While doing so I noticed I am able to pull the key out at any ignition position.

- Richfield, MN, USA

May 302016

Equinox

Car started over heating due to cooling system value, blown head gasket after 93000 miles ran hot while idle.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Feb 092015

Equinox

ABS activation at low speeds on dry pavement. This happens randomly and changes the vehicle breaking distance. It is also unknown how much it will change the distance. So it can potentially cause a low speed impact accident. This is due to not knowing where to break for proper stopping distance. Engine problem when starting vehicle. The vehicle turns over then stalls. Only way I have found to prevent it from happening is to press the gas pedal while turning it over. Wiper issue. My passenger side windshield wiper doesn't work. I live in an area where heavy snow fall happens. This is a danger to myself and others on the road. If my vehicle is on the road during a blizzard or heavy snow visibility is lost on half my windshield.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Jan 222016

Equinox

My 2006 Chevy eqinox has problem with starting since it was new, I took it in GM service when it was 1 year old and told them the car starts hard sometime shuts off couple times before it turns over and GM service manager told me that everything is ok but now it is harder and harder to start it up I also know couple other people that having same problem and when I google the problem I found there is thousands same issues with problems like my with same car, please help. Thanks.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Dec 302015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 40 mph, the temperature gauge indicator displayed hot as the engine overheated with a burning odor. All the interior windows became extremely foggy and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. There were no flames visible. In addition, the heater intermittently emitted cold air through the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the heater core and flushed the cooling system. On three separate occasions, the thermostat was replaced. The approximate mileage 89,934

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 072015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 40 mph, the temperature gauge indicator displayed hot as the engine overheated with a burning odor. All the interior windows became extremely foggy and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. There were no flames visible. In addition, the heater intermittently emitted cold air through the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the heater core and flushed the cooling system. On three separate occasions, the thermostat was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Equinox

Vehicle started overheating with a jumped idle, I replaced the lower intake, valve seats, O rings, 3 thermostats. It has been bleed for two days now, at first it started to overheat while driving so I bled the cooling system and tried it again. It drove fantastic didnt overheat at all. I pulled into my parking spot which the car had been running there for over an hour no problem. I thought the problem was fixed now its overheating parked and its just inconsistent and leaving my stranded

- Flin, MI, USA

Aug 222015

Equinox

When my Equinox hit 60,400 miles it was running fine and after parking it for 20 minutes it suddenly ran hot which caused the heads to warp. Chevrolet paid $3000 towards the repair and I paid $1000. They called it a "grace warranty" and gave me a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on the repair. The car was repaired but never the same afterwards. Constant overheating and coolant loss issues. I have flushed the system. Changed thermostats twice, and changed the corrosive dexcool antifreeze to the yellow non corrosive universal antifreeze. It ran great for 1 month then started overheating again. The coolant is full, thermostat is new. It is fine while driving, heat begins to climb when stopped.

- Cleveland , OH, USA