8.2

$2,540

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (17 reports)
  3. replaced piston rings (9 reports)
  4. not fixed (7 reports)
  5. have gm recall all defective 2.4 engines (5 reports)
  6. replaced pistons / rings / oil sesnor (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Sep 302018

Equinox LT

DO NOT BUY CHEVY!! Was really happy buying the car in Oct 2016, The car was only 4 yrs old when I bought. Finally I thought I have reliable car with 50.000 miles on it. Very mistaken. I do a lot of driving so I was taking the car religiously for oil changes every 2000 miles. I took really good care of it.

Then one day I took the car to my mechanic with small issue that I noticed while driving, left the car over the weekend. I got a call from my mechanic that the car has no oil? I said that's impossible because I just changed the oil last weekend and advised him to check the sticker on my window. He checked and told me that maybe they didn't change the oil and that I should consider going to have the car serviced next time somewhere else. I was very confused, I have been going there for years with other cars. The shop was owned for more than 60 yrs by father and son, honest hardworking people. I did go somewhere else as he advice me. Checked with my mechanic shortly afterwards.... SHOCKINGLY when I got there after a new oil change in different place he asked me when was the last time that I have changed the oil?????!!!!!!!!!!

I got really upset, since I'm single and a woman i thought maybe he is just joking, BUT IT WAS NO JOKE AT THIS TIME!! The oil was changed a week before. For the past few months I was visiting my mechanic regularly on Saturdays, and he told me that the car has been burning oil!!!!! No leaks no indications on the computer!!!! So on JANUARY 29 2019 the car has given up on me!!! Having the car for only 2 yrs and few months is really devastating, and I still owe money on it!!!!!!

Feeling hopeless and very disappointed in something that I thought I will cherish for years!!!!!!!!

NEVER EVER BUY CHEVY OR ANYTHING FROM GM MOTORS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS THINKING ABOUT LAWSUIT.

and he was just checking and putting more and more oil ........ UNTIL THE ENGINE JUST GAVE UP FEW DAYS AGO COMPLETELY!!!!

- Angie G., Prospect Heights, IL, US

Jan 312019

Equinox

Apparently due to the cold, the seal froze then pressure built up and blew the seal. Oil just poured out. To fix it, they have to drop the engine. I have heard of many other Equinox with the same issue. The repair is in the thousands of dollars. Dealers know of the problem but haven't done anything about it.

Moral of the story, don't but a Chevy. That is difficult for me because I have driven American cars my entire life, many of them Chevy's. Won't buy another one!

- tombondi, Downers Grove, US

Feb 042019

Equinox LT 4 cyl

I received the letter that stated "some 2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox vehicles equipped with a 2.4 L engine may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption (less than 2000 miles per quart of oil) MINE IS USING ONE QUART OF OIL PER 400 MILES. When I got the letter after I had owned my car probably a year, I took it to the dealer where I bought my car and the owner of the dealership refused to fix the car because he said it was not a recall and it would involve taking the engine out.

The problem was not that bad at that time but as the years have gone by it has gotten worse. Sometimes the car shakes or even stops completely for no reason which terrified me. If your driving in city traffic can you imagine what this would do? Thank God I was just at an intersection on a country road when this happened to me.

When I finally figured that it was using a quart every 400 miles and by this time my car was paid off I decided I better have a mechanic check it out because I wanted to get a new car but I'm an honest person and I did not want to do to the dealership what had been done to me 7 years ago. Well today (2-6-19) the mechanic informs me that it was a miracle that I made the 4 hour drive safely to his shop because the engine is shot.

So now I have to borrow money to pay for an engine and parts to replace the one that is no good for a car that I now hate. I wanted a 2019 new car but I can guarantee the next SUV I buy WILL NOT BE A CHEVY. I just got done posting all this information on Facebook so my hometown dealer will be able to read all about it and all the community can also read about my experience 7 years ago. They have a great reputation or at least they did!!

- Tina W., Cherokee, OK, US

Apr 012017

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption, continuously adding oil.

- Patti J., Jeffersonton, US

Nov 212018

Equinox LT 2.4L Ecotec

Wife used to drive this vehicle. She is very diligent at taking her vehicles in for routine maintenance. We planned on getting her a newer vehicle and I took over this one. She warned me that there was not able oil consumption and she had been taking it in to our local Valvoline for regular top offs.

After I took the vehicle over I to noticed the amount of oil consumption. Neither of us were ever aware of any campaigns or service bulletin concerning our issues until my vehicle died one day. It hasn't run since November of this year(2018). We were planning a trip to Michigan, thankful it quit before or it would have been worse. After it died I had noticed the check engine light came on which I've never seen before.

I used my scan tool and found a p228d code that says excessive fuel pressure. Suggestions for repair were high pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel sensor or camshaft worn. I am a technician and decided to try to repair my car myself to save on labor costs. the vehicle still wouldn't start. I've taken it to a local garage who determined it was a solid issue with the engine but didn't dig to deep and advised me to contact the manufacturer.

After contacting the manufacturer they asked that I send it to gm authorized dealer. Now the vehicle is at the dealer and they say all of my issues are caused by the timing chain having slipped and my vehicle won't be covered under the special extended warranty issued for oil consumption bulletin. I have recently been told that the gm senior advisors are going to be in touch with the dealership as well as me to discuss this issue and resolution further.

Cross your fingers with me that they repair it but it is well known that this problem needs to be settled.

- Johnathon B., Syracuse, NY, US

Oct 112018

Equinox LS 2.4L

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox that is having Oil Consumption problems. It first started out last year when I did an oil change and after about 2000 miles my gauge said I had 50% oil life left but when I checked it I noticed that it was completely out of oil and my car was sounding like a diesel truck. GM needs to do a recall on all 2012 Chevy Equinox 2.4L and fix the problem no matter the mileage of the vehicle.

I took it to a dealership in FL and was informed there was nothing wrong with it to just add a quart of oil when it starts to get low. I have done the regular Oil changes on my car ever 5000-6000 miles like recommended. Had the oil changed before moving back to IL drove 900 miles and my car was completely out of oil by time I got to my new home in IL from FL.

Took it to a dealership today on 1/10/2019 they did another oil change on it told me to bring it back after driving it 750 miles to see where the oil is reading at on the dipstick. The dealership in Paris, IL currently has 4 2012 Chevy Equinox they are currently replacing the pistons and rings on the engines for the very same problem.

There is a bulletin out on the problem and GM is only wanting to fix the problem for free if the vehicle is below 120,000 miles. I was roughly around that when I took it to the dealership in FL and was informed nothing was wrong with my engine consuming the oil. Now that I am well over the 120,000 miles I will have to pay out of my pocket to have my car fixed when GM knows this is an ongoing problem but does not want to fix the problem for anyone who has the 2012 Chevy Equinox. I never received a letter stating this could be a problem with the year make and model.

- Jessica M., Marshall, IL, US

Oct 172018

Equinox LS 2.4L

Went and had some work done on the car. They stated that my vehicle is burning through oil incredibly fast. They stated that there is a recall for this issue in my car. I will be complaining to Chevy. Hopefully they will fix it.

- Logan C., Belgrade, US

Aug 152018

Equinox LS

I bought this car in Nov of 17' from a dealership. Yep, they saw me coming. Right away I noticed it was using oil, too much oil. I took it to the dealership for it's first oil change, complained about the problem and was told "it's normal" to use oil. A few weeks later, or maybe month or so, car starting stalling and running awful, checked oil and it was BONE dry. Had to have it towed to the dealership at my expense. Went through their pain in butt test and had pistons and rings replaced at no cost. So happy I was, for a month or so....started happening again, car hesitating and running awful.

Took it to dealership for oil change, and complained about problem, basically I was told that I'd have to go thru another test and if it was anything other than New pistons and rings they JUST PUT IN I'd be out of my pocket. I reached out to GM/Chevy about this, and basically was told too bad so sad.

I will NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN. And I am disgusted that they don't stand behind their product KNOWING there is an issue with this year car! I'll be trading in ASAP.

- Tracy G., Ballston Spa, US

Nov 032016

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

I received a letter from Chevrolet, Milwaukee, WI stating my vehicle may exhibit excessive oil consumption due to piston ring wear. If this condition is present, an audible rattle or knock from the engine may be heard. The engine oil pressure telltale may illuminate on the instrument panel or the following message may appear in the Driver Information Center "oil pressure low - stop engine".

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition within 7.5 year of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

This issue is still a huge problem for my vehicle. The dealership does not believe me that it uses 1 - 2 quarters of oil every 1,000 miles. I complain about the rattle or knocking the engine does when the oil gets too low. The dealership has changed the oil in my vehicle just about every time it has been due. The oil has always been changed by a certified mechanic. The dealership did one consumption test and said stated was normal for my vehicle to use this much oil. The consumption test is where they check the oil every 1,000 miles. Each time I stopped by to have them check the oil level it took about one hour!!!

Maybe it is normal for this vehicle to use so much motor oil!!! I have never owned a vehicle before this one to use so much oil. I have owned over 12 vehicles.

- Susan B., Vincentown, NJ, US

Sep 272017

Equinox 2.4L

Purchased my 2012 Equinox in May 2017. By September 2017 I recognized a major oil consumption issue. Contacted the dealer I purchased it from who helped connect me with a GM dealer nearby. The GM dealer performed oil consumption test, helped me by contacting GM to plead my case. Even though the vehicle was 4,000 miles over the designated mileage for coverage GM covered all but $1300.00 to basically rebuild my engine. I'm still upset to have thought I was purchasing a dependable vehicle only to have to fork over that much money for a fix. Thankfully I noticed the engine noise early to prompt me to check the oil as the oil light never did come on showing low oil and it was almost bone dry on a Friday night at 11 p.m. in rural Minnesota. Thankfully my boyfriend at the time had oil at his farm place. How does a person become a part of the lawsuit?

- Tammie M., Ortonville, MN, US

Jun 012018

Equinox LS

The engine on my car was burning oil. After going through Chevy's oil consumption test (which proved it was burning 1 to 2 quarts of oil every thousand miles), they replaced the rings and seals on my engine along with a few other things that were wrong because of their crappy engine!!! Also, the extra things that were wrong, Chevy didn't want to cover them. Argued with corporate and they did finally cover part of the extra costs. However, now because of their crappy engine, my car keeps coding the catalytic converter because of all of the oil that burnt through it. The technician even tells me its because of the oil consumption issue, but Chevy still refuses to cover it!!!!!!!!

Beyond annoyed and frustrated after buying a certified used car. This honestly has made my mind up to never buy a Chevy product again.

- Sarah F., Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 122018

Equinox EX

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Purchased Equinox at the end of June with 85,557 miles. Ran like a champ, loved it, very happy I purchased it. Frequently checked the "Oil Life" percentage. At 25%, the car started making an awful noise. At first it was mainly when I turned to the left. It also made the noise when I accelerated and then gradually it was noisy no matter which direction I turned. The car would lurch when idling at a stop light, even with my foot barely on the brake. It was extremely terrifying.

Have this car for less 3 months and this is happening??? Took to Monro for an oil change even though the Oil Life was only at 25%. Brett said the oil change shouldn't have to happen until about 10% or less. I insisted he change it anyway, with synthetic please, due to the noise it was making and how it was acting. I walked away to do kill time when I rec'd a call from him informing me that he WOULD NOT DO AN OIL CHANGE. He went on to explain that the noise it was making was from something knocking and if he were to do an oil change, he would be responsible for the engine should it "blow". He went on to inform me that the engine is going to be needed to replaced. It could last 3 hours or 3 months. In tears, I asked how much that would (guesstimate) cost and he told me easily $5,000--this is almost half of what I paid for the damn car. His last comment to me was, "Oh, I would suggest you drive right up to AutoZone and purchase 4 quarts of oil because you HAVE NO OIL"!! Really? My oil light did not come on, my percentage was 25%.... and I'm going to have to have work done to it that I simply cannot afford. If I had the money, I would have purchased a newer vehicle! I am on my mission to start to network and find out what I can, what I am deserved of this situation. I did discover there is a Class Action Law suit including 2010-2017. Why should I be responsible for the repairs of someone else's mistake?

- catphillips, Columbia, US

Sep 012017

Equinox LX 2.4L

Engine knocks, excessive oil consumption (Burns about 4qts a month in oil), loss of power,

- Anthony M., Springfield, US

Jan 012015

Equinox 2LT 2.4L

Bought car in 2014. Noticed relatively soon that there was excessive oil consumption which has led to other issues.

Started having issues with a kick in the engine when accelerating (hesitation). The engine would shake and die for no reason.

We have replaced:

Exhaust Manifold Catalytic Converter 2 O Rings Due to engine oil leaking 2 oxygen sensors

After all this, we then had to fork out the money to replace the entire engine.

- Melissa H.,

Jun 132017

Equinox LS 2.4L Dohc

Each time I would have the oil changed I would mention that car was using oil. There answer was its normal to use some oil. Well after going on a long trip I checked the oil and guess what no oil showed on dip stick. Went into dealer and than they said they would do a oil consumption test. After bring it back in 2000 miles they decided to schedule a ring replacement on my car which they did.

- Bill R., Shelby Charter Township, US

Mar 312016

Equinox LX 3.2L

I was using 2+ quarts of oil every 1000 miles. After some inspection by my dealer, GM paid for a new engine replacement. I am happy with that. I was not even the original owner of the car. So if you have this problem, precedent has been set. Good luck. The Equinox is other wise a great little SUV.

- Dennis L., Lincoln, CA, US

Aug 142018

Equinox Flex-fuel 2.4L

BEFORE EACH OIL CHANGE WE ARE PUTTING IN A QUART AND A HALF OF OIL EVERY MONTH,

- Debi W., Millbury, OH, US

Jun 062018

Equinox LT 2.4L

I have to keep getting lil changes like once a month, really getting costly for a car with only 72,000 miles

- Rashid J., Evansville, US

Feb 162018

Equinox LT

Purchased our 2012 Equinox in September of 2016. In February of 2017 drove it home from 10 miles away, entered the garage and it killed out. Restarted it and it killed out again. Told my husband when he came home and he checked oil and said it was a little low. Went in to eat dinner, came out to do chores and all the oil had run out onto the garage floor. Had it towed and a friend told us that it had blown the engine seal and that that shouldn't happen to a vehicle with 80,000 miles.

Called the dealership where we had purchased and they said probably moisture built up and blew the seal. Called another Chevy dealership and they said that it could be the pistons etc and that GM would pay to have pistons etc. changed but not labor. Took it to that dealership and in checking they found out that the pistons had already been changed and GM had paid. So this happened twice to the same vehicle. This time it screwed up the fuel pump, got into the PCV port, carbon built up and blew the seal again. $1800 bill.

Called GM and it was 4 months after the warranty and a snotty girl told me there was nothing they could do about it. Would never buy another one again. How do you get in on this class action law suit?

- Janice L., Dundee, US

Mar 272017

Equinox LT 2.4L

When I purchased the Equinox new, they told me you can go 14,000 miles before you change the oil & do not change it till the display tells you. So I did that. Then there was a recall on the oil monitor, but I still could go a year without changing my oil..ok..

So In February 2017 my car sounded like I was driving a diesel, it knocked & clanked so bad, but the oil monitor said I still had 40% oil life left.. I went ahead & changed the oil & the noise lessened but then the check engine light came on & the remote start would not work.

I took it to Landers & they fixed it at no charge.. but never said a word about the oil situation & checking it every time I fuel up. I am 61 & really do not want a car that is this difficult to work with. Now the problems are back & do you think they have offered me an Oil Consumption test??? No.. they do not want to fix it..

- Charlene W., Oklahoma City, US