8.1

$2,540

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (14 reports)
  3. replaced piston rings (9 reports)
  4. not fixed (6 reports)
  5. have gm recall all defective 2.4 engines (4 reports)
  6. replaced pistons / rings / oil sesnor (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Oct 172018

Equinox LS 2.4L

Went and had some work done on the car. They stated that my vehicle is burning through oil incredibly fast. They stated that there is a recall for this issue in my car. I will be complaining to Chevy. Hopefully they will fix it.

- Logan C., Belgrade, US

Aug 152018

Equinox LS

I bought this car in Nov of 17' from a dealership. Yep, they saw me coming. Right away I noticed it was using oil, too much oil. I took it to the dealership for it's first oil change, complained about the problem and was told "it's normal" to use oil. A few weeks later, or maybe month or so, car starting stalling and running awful, checked oil and it was BONE dry. Had to have it towed to the dealership at my expense. Went through their pain in butt test and had pistons and rings replaced at no cost. So happy I was, for a month or so....started happening again, car hesitating and running awful.

Took it to dealership for oil change, and complained about problem, basically I was told that I'd have to go thru another test and if it was anything other than New pistons and rings they JUST PUT IN I'd be out of my pocket. I reached out to GM/Chevy about this, and basically was told too bad so sad.

I will NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN. And I am disgusted that they don't stand behind their product KNOWING there is an issue with this year car! I'll be trading in ASAP.

- Tracy G., Ballston Spa, US

Nov 032016

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

I received a letter from Chevrolet, Milwaukee, WI stating my vehicle may exhibit excessive oil consumption due to piston ring wear. If this condition is present, an audible rattle or knock from the engine may be heard. The engine oil pressure telltale may illuminate on the instrument panel or the following message may appear in the Driver Information Center "oil pressure low - stop engine".

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition within 7.5 year of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

This issue is still a huge problem for my vehicle. The dealership does not believe me that it uses 1 - 2 quarters of oil every 1,000 miles. I complain about the rattle or knocking the engine does when the oil gets too low. The dealership has changed the oil in my vehicle just about every time it has been due. The oil has always been changed by a certified mechanic. The dealership did one consumption test and said stated was normal for my vehicle to use this much oil. The consumption test is where they check the oil every 1,000 miles. Each time I stopped by to have them check the oil level it took about one hour!!!

Maybe it is normal for this vehicle to use so much motor oil!!! I have never owned a vehicle before this one to use so much oil. I have owned over 12 vehicles.

- Susan B., Vincentown, NJ, US

Sep 272017

Equinox 2.4L

Purchased my 2012 Equinox in May 2017. By September 2017 I recognized a major oil consumption issue. Contacted the dealer I purchased it from who helped connect me with a GM dealer nearby. The GM dealer performed oil consumption test, helped me by contacting GM to plead my case. Even though the vehicle was 4,000 miles over the designated mileage for coverage GM covered all but $1300.00 to basically rebuild my engine. I'm still upset to have thought I was purchasing a dependable vehicle only to have to fork over that much money for a fix. Thankfully I noticed the engine noise early to prompt me to check the oil as the oil light never did come on showing low oil and it was almost bone dry on a Friday night at 11 p.m. in rural Minnesota. Thankfully my boyfriend at the time had oil at his farm place. How does a person become a part of the lawsuit?

- Tammie M., Ortonville, MN, US

Jun 012018

Equinox LS

The engine on my car was burning oil. After going through Chevy's oil consumption test (which proved it was burning 1 to 2 quarts of oil every thousand miles), they replaced the rings and seals on my engine along with a few other things that were wrong because of their crappy engine!!! Also, the extra things that were wrong, Chevy didn't want to cover them. Argued with corporate and they did finally cover part of the extra costs. However, now because of their crappy engine, my car keeps coding the catalytic converter because of all of the oil that burnt through it. The technician even tells me its because of the oil consumption issue, but Chevy still refuses to cover it!!!!!!!!

Beyond annoyed and frustrated after buying a certified used car. This honestly has made my mind up to never buy a Chevy product again.

- Sarah F., Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 122018

Equinox EX

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

Purchased Equinox at the end of June with 85,557 miles. Ran like a champ, loved it, very happy I purchased it. Frequently checked the "Oil Life" percentage. At 25%, the car started making an awful noise. At first it was mainly when I turned to the left. It also made the noise when I accelerated and then gradually it was noisy no matter which direction I turned. The car would lurch when idling at a stop light, even with my foot barely on the brake. It was extremely terrifying.

Have this car for less 3 months and this is happening??? Took to Monro for an oil change even though the Oil Life was only at 25%. Brett said the oil change shouldn't have to happen until about 10% or less. I insisted he change it anyway, with synthetic please, due to the noise it was making and how it was acting. I walked away to do kill time when I rec'd a call from him informing me that he WOULD NOT DO AN OIL CHANGE. He went on to explain that the noise it was making was from something knocking and if he were to do an oil change, he would be responsible for the engine should it "blow". He went on to inform me that the engine is going to be needed to replaced. It could last 3 hours or 3 months. In tears, I asked how much that would (guesstimate) cost and he told me easily $5,000--this is almost half of what I paid for the damn car. His last comment to me was, "Oh, I would suggest you drive right up to AutoZone and purchase 4 quarts of oil because you HAVE NO OIL"!! Really? My oil light did not come on, my percentage was 25%.... and I'm going to have to have work done to it that I simply cannot afford. If I had the money, I would have purchased a newer vehicle! I am on my mission to start to network and find out what I can, what I am deserved of this situation. I did discover there is a Class Action Law suit including 2010-2017. Why should I be responsible for the repairs of someone else's mistake?

- catphillips, Columbia, US

Sep 012017

Equinox LX 2.4L

Engine knocks, excessive oil consumption (Burns about 4qts a month in oil), loss of power,

- Anthony M., Springfield, US

Jan 012015

Equinox 2LT 2.4L

Bought car in 2014. Noticed relatively soon that there was excessive oil consumption which has led to other issues.

Started having issues with a kick in the engine when accelerating (hesitation). The engine would shake and die for no reason.

We have replaced:

Exhaust Manifold Catalytic Converter 2 O Rings Due to engine oil leaking 2 oxygen sensors

After all this, we then had to fork out the money to replace the entire engine.

- Melissa H.,

Jun 132017

Equinox LS 2.4L Dohc

Each time I would have the oil changed I would mention that car was using oil. There answer was its normal to use some oil. Well after going on a long trip I checked the oil and guess what no oil showed on dip stick. Went into dealer and than they said they would do a oil consumption test. After bring it back in 2000 miles they decided to schedule a ring replacement on my car which they did.

- Bill R., Shelby Charter Township, US

Mar 312016

Equinox LX 3.2L

I was using 2+ quarts of oil every 1000 miles. After some inspection by my dealer, GM paid for a new engine replacement. I am happy with that. I was not even the original owner of the car. So if you have this problem, precedent has been set. Good luck. The Equinox is other wise a great little SUV.

- Dennis L., Lincoln, CA, US

Aug 142018

Equinox Flex-fuel 2.4L

BEFORE EACH OIL CHANGE WE ARE PUTTING IN A QUART AND A HALF OF OIL EVERY MONTH,

- Debi W., Millbury, OH, US

Jun 062018

Equinox LT 2.4L

I have to keep getting lil changes like once a month, really getting costly for a car with only 72,000 miles

- Rashid J., Evansville, US

Feb 162018

Equinox LT

Purchased our 2012 Equinox in September of 2016. In February of 2017 drove it home from 10 miles away, entered the garage and it killed out. Restarted it and it killed out again. Told my husband when he came home and he checked oil and said it was a little low. Went in to eat dinner, came out to do chores and all the oil had run out onto the garage floor. Had it towed and a friend told us that it had blown the engine seal and that that shouldn't happen to a vehicle with 80,000 miles.

Called the dealership where we had purchased and they said probably moisture built up and blew the seal. Called another Chevy dealership and they said that it could be the pistons etc and that GM would pay to have pistons etc. changed but not labor. Took it to that dealership and in checking they found out that the pistons had already been changed and GM had paid. So this happened twice to the same vehicle. This time it screwed up the fuel pump, got into the PCV port, carbon built up and blew the seal again. $1800 bill.

Called GM and it was 4 months after the warranty and a snotty girl told me there was nothing they could do about it. Would never buy another one again. How do you get in on this class action law suit?

- Janice L., Dundee, US

Mar 272017

Equinox LT 2.4L

When I purchased the Equinox new, they told me you can go 14,000 miles before you change the oil & do not change it till the display tells you. So I did that. Then there was a recall on the oil monitor, but I still could go a year without changing my oil..ok..

So In February 2017 my car sounded like I was driving a diesel, it knocked & clanked so bad, but the oil monitor said I still had 40% oil life left.. I went ahead & changed the oil & the noise lessened but then the check engine light came on & the remote start would not work.

I took it to Landers & they fixed it at no charge.. but never said a word about the oil situation & checking it every time I fuel up. I am 61 & really do not want a car that is this difficult to work with. Now the problems are back & do you think they have offered me an Oil Consumption test??? No.. they do not want to fix it..

- Charlene W., Oklahoma City, US

Nov 102015

Equinox LT 4 cyl

I had the car worked on for a recall that I didn't get until the warranty was over. I paid over $200 to Foy Motors last year but I cannot find my receipts or letters. I was told about a fault in these engines a long time before, but the warranty was gone and I could not afford a new engine. I just now found about all of the lawsuits.

The car is in my grand daughter's name and my deceased husbands name as a co-signer. We have been driving the car and adding oil and having oil changes. There are no leaks and it doesn't smoke out of the tail pipes. I think that we deserve a new engine because my grand daughter had to get another car because this one is unreliable. She is a nurse. and did home-health nursing and had to travel many miles.

- Diana R., Converse, US

Feb 052018

Equinox Moch V6

I have always bought my cars in at Buxman Motors I guess my mom did so I did too. I went to the same salesman time after time Scott Koehn and Mel Buxman never did me wrong. John in the parts dept. was also a good man. They always put the customer first.

I bought a Chevy Equinox in Aug 2015 and it was the best car. I never really had any issues with it. I have never had issues with any of my recent Equinox's in fact I traded in my old one, which was a 2004. In February car had a major rear cell bust and my car locked and sat for 3 weeks, as I fought to get Midway Motors and the Warranty Company to fix the car. I was still under the 100,000 miles and I wanted it fixed. It took 3 weeks to get it fixed and it was finally fixed. Since than I continue to have issues with the oil consumption. Oil is being added on a weekly basis, from 1/3 quart low to up to a quart low in a week. I do not understand. I have been dealing with it for about 3 months. I was told it was because my car was old. My car does not leak oil anywhere at all. I never had this problem until the major problem that happened in February. Then it has been downhill since then. So I have gotten all of my oil changes and maintenance done at Midway Motors so they can see I do take care of my car and I do make sure it is getting the care it needs. But oil is not cheap, @$5.00 each time does add up. Midway never told me about the oil consumption problem, nor did GMAC I had to Google and realize that several thousand people around the USA have this issue too. I can spend all my money to fix it all, but until the engine is replaced it will not be fixed. I think you would want to please your customers and fix this before it got out of hand. I do not even have the car paid off. I am going to have to start caring oil in car so I do not get caught without oil. They can do the oil consumption test but, it will max out at 120,000 miles and then it will be my problem not GMAC or Mid Way Motors.

My oil light never comes on, and I have addressed that several times, even after the February issue when it blew the oil everywhere and my car shut the motor down.

I am definitely angry about this and am going to go to the top to address this issue. I'd like to know why 120,000 miles is the "magical number" for mileage. When I do look for a new vehicle I will not buy an Equinox. I am having problems with excessive oil consumption and oil light not coming on (oil changed every 3000 miles)..In February I had the bad knocking and the engine shut down and the oil light never came on, even when I am quart low the engine light still does not come on. I mention this and still nothing changes. If Chevy knows about these problems, then they should recall to fix it or provide extended warranty to cover it. I didn't know about this site til today..... I feel I have not been dealt with fairly.

I am sad that we spend our good money on a car and people want us to become part of their family, but this is just wrong.

- Lisa B., north newton, KS, US

Apr 072018

Equinox 2LT 3.0L

Decided to start doing my own oil changes on my 2012 Equinox.. The oil life monitor read 10% and no check oil light. I drained out the used oil in a catch pan. Drained the filter into the same catch pan. I only recovered about 4.25 quarts. I replaced the oil with 5.5 quarts of fresh oil. I thought this was odd. I checked the TSB for this issue. I never received a letter or notice from GM. I use to take this vehicle for service and oil changes at reputable maintenance shop. But they do not check to see how much oil is removed when changing the oil. I check my service maintenance interval (which stated to check oil levels at the 7500 miles periods). The vehicle has low oil sensor and a oil life monitor but GM could not send out a notice to all the owners of this vehicle. How much does a bulk mailing cost? I will see how much Chevrolet stands behind their products, when I take it in for an evaluation.

- Ron P., Hillside, US

Apr 072018

Equinox LT 4

After my check engine light came on I took it to Auto Zone so they could get the codes. They gave me a print out that stated Code P0010 indicates that the Bank 1 Intake Camshaft Position Actuator electrical circuit had a fault lodged in the computer or was disconnected for a predetermined period of time. Called the dealership where I purchased they said it would be a week before they could Check it!!! I stopped driving. After a week I finally was able to take it to them. They asked me could I leave it ( I said sure) after a few days still did not hear from them! I called and they stated that the technician hadn't looked at it!!!!! This is my only car! It would have been ok if they had said well we looked at the codes and this is what we have to do..................... But just to say he haven't looked at it and we'll call you back!!!! I had this problem less than a year ago!... I was very disappointed in the lack of service!

My car in currently getting fixed by a local mechanic. Not exactly sure how much this will cost. He did tell me that my car is consuming oil😳 I'm just very frustrated that the dealership could not help me in a timely manner!

- Phyllis P., Oxford, US

Apr 012018

Equinox LX 2.4L

GM needs to back up their word and cover this problem. Stop turning their heads at customers who have put trust in them and purchased their vehicles. 111,000 miles and my timing chain broke and bent the valves. $6,700.00 for a new motor. I CANNOT do that. I still pay on the car and am a single mom of a 6 & 7 year old. Take responsibility GM and do what is right, not wanting something for nothing, just what is the right thing to do.

- alishao, West Blocton, US

Jan 012018

Equinox LT 2.4L

Car is a lemon. It always is being repaired. I had a Vega that was more reliable.

- John B., Maple Grove, US