8.0

$3,200

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (10 reports)
  3. replaced piston rings (6 reports)
  4. have gm recall all defective 2.4 engines (3 reports)
  5. replaced pistons / rings / oil sesnor (2 reports)
  6. not fixed (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Apr 072018

Equinox 2LT 3.0L

Decided to start doing my own oil changes on my 2012 Equinox.. The oil life monitor read 10% and no check oil light. I drained out the used oil in a catch pan. Drained the filter into the same catch pan. I only recovered about 4.25 quarts. I replaced the oil with 5.5 quarts of fresh oil. I thought this was odd. I checked the TSB for this issue. I never received a letter or notice from GM. I use to take this vehicle for service and oil changes at reputable maintenance shop. But they do not check to see how much oil is removed when changing the oil. I check my service maintenance interval (which stated to check oil levels at the 7500 miles periods). The vehicle has low oil sensor and a oil life monitor but GM could not send out a notice to all the owners of this vehicle. How much does a bulk mailing cost? I will see how much Chevrolet stands behind their products, when I take it in for an evaluation.

- Ron P., Hillside, US

Apr 072018

Equinox LT 4

After my check engine light came on I took it to Auto Zone so they could get the codes. They gave me a print out that stated Code P0010 indicates that the Bank 1 Intake Camshaft Position Actuator electrical circuit had a fault lodged in the computer or was disconnected for a predetermined period of time. Called the dealership where I purchased they said it would be a week before they could Check it!!! I stopped driving. After a week I finally was able to take it to them. They asked me could I leave it ( I said sure) after a few days still did not hear from them! I called and they stated that the technician hadn't looked at it!!!!! This is my only car! It would have been ok if they had said well we looked at the codes and this is what we have to do..................... But just to say he haven't looked at it and we'll call you back!!!! I had this problem less than a year ago!... I was very disappointed in the lack of service!

My car in currently getting fixed by a local mechanic. Not exactly sure how much this will cost. He did tell me that my car is consuming oil😳 I'm just very frustrated that the dealership could not help me in a timely manner!

- Phyllis P., Oxford, US

Apr 012018

Equinox LX 2.4L

GM needs to back up their word and cover this problem. Stop turning their heads at customers who have put trust in them and purchased their vehicles. 111,000 miles and my timing chain broke and bent the valves. $6,700.00 for a new motor. I CANNOT do that. I still pay on the car and am a single mom of a 6 & 7 year old. Take responsibility GM and do what is right, not wanting something for nothing, just what is the right thing to do.

- alishao, West Blocton, US

Jan 012018

Equinox LT 2.4L

Car is a lemon. It always is being repaired. I had a Vega that was more reliable.

- John B., Maple Grove, US

Oct 172013

Equinox LT 2.4L 4cl

Engine lost compression. Mechanic said fluids looked low. I've always kept up with oil changes and was surprised to hear this but have since found out about excessive oil consumption. I drive long distances which likely exasperated the problem. No low oil notification. Replaced engine.

- Dave Z., Grayslake, IL, USA

Feb 192018

Equinox

I bought a 2012 Chevy Equinox in 2015 (3 years old), it had 55k on the engine. I did not buy the extended warranty because well it was practically brand new vehicle! I had the oil change religiously every 3000 miles or sooner! I have all those receipts! I started the oil consumption test but after 3 visits could not keep up with paying $50 a month to have it serviced (terrible mistake on my part). Went to go to an appt on 2/19/18 and my car died in the middle of the road.

Had it towed to my mechanic who ran a diagnostic on the problem they changed the starter, did not work and cost me $600. He than tried fixing the rocker arm no luck my engine is shot due to the oil consumption! I contacted the dealer I bought the car from, who stated they could not help me. I contacted GM who stated they could not help me because I did not finish the oil consumption test!!! So I call GM Corporate same thing. So now I am without a vehicle that I still owe $14k on that I cannot drive and no one cares!!! It really pisses me off because even my mechanic stated my engine blew because of the oil issue! WTF!

- Amy C., Harrisonburg, VA, US

Aug 102017

Equinox

After the dealership replaced the pistons and rings in our 2012 Equinox (67k miles at time), within 1 month same issues of excessive oil consumption returned. Brought to dealerships attention. Was told that GM/Chev standard was we had to wait 12k miles for new pistons and rings to seat themselves. We had to go to dealership about every 500-1000 miles to top off oil. Would get the rattle. At 72925 miles, driving onto Highway, accelerating up to speed and merging, engine cuts almost out, dash warning of Engine low power (or whatever it is) and Intelitrac needs servicing came on. Nearly got deep trunked by semi truck (had my 8 yoa son with me in car on way to doctor appointment). Limped it back to dealership. Oil was 2.5 quarts low (literally topped off 1000 miles ago), also learned the fuel pump had thrown the codes. Dealership would not commit to the oil consumption being from the prior issues and also said the timing chain appears to have skipped or jumped ahead of time. I had to authorize 6 hrs of labor to allow dealership to tear down and search for point of failure. they intend to charge me $700.00 labor if timing chain failure is not related to the original problem. And they would not cover the fuel pump as we are 2000 miles past original warranty (still within time but not mileage). So, if they don't resolve this, we will be charged about $400.00 for the fuel pump. I did put a call into Cheverolet Customer Care and spoke to John. He seemed sincere over the phone and was concerned about the issues, especially the fuel pump. As of yet, have not heard back from dealership on vehicle status, We will hear back from Chev Service Tech Manager within 24-48 hrs to discuss the warranty.I did find a special GM bulletin "16118: Special Coverage Adjustment-Excessive Oil Consumption-2012 Equinox" Basically says that if excessive oil consumption occurs, the special coverage covers the issue for 7 years 6 months or 120k miles or whichever comes first from date vehicle was put into service... https://gm.oemdtc.com/7458/16118. Hoping for a resolution soon.

- bcortani, Port Angeles, US

Jan 012018

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

Brought this (used) 2012 Chevy Equinox in December of 2017. I'm so hot because this car has given me nothing but headaches from the date of purchase. It's been in the garage numerous times, stop counting since its purchase for terrible engine (rattling and knocking) noises, stalling, jerking when idling and lots and lots of oil consumption. Damn, you would think I owned a damn oil company for all the oil they told me to keep putting in and oil changes.

Well, it finally came to a head driving to work on 1/2/18, the car went into a total meltdown. The car displayed check oil light soon, the engine display light came on, the reduced power can on, stalling the car and what other sh*t could I possible think of...and what's so damn sickening is I put 2 quarts of oil in Saturday 12/30/2017 and then 2 quarts of oil in 1/1/18, but I guess the car is known to eat oil....yea OK. Well, I drove it straight to the garage, they investigated it all day, finally called me and told me, not so good news, they put it on the lift and said they found oil sprayed all over the underneath and back. They said there was no oil in the engine, really I just put 4 quarts in! They did an oil change and it totally pissed out from the engines Master seal. They think it's burned up, meaning we're talking expense repair, if not totally shot engine. The best part is the dealer states it's not covered under warranty because it's not part of the power train, but it's still part of the engine. I'm very, very pissed, upset and hostile! This is such bullshit, pay good money for what, I know why I hate car dealers so much. I knew when I was looking, not to by a Chevy, but I did and I'm getting exactly what I expected, SH*T. I'm so tired and now down a car and lots of money. Come on GM, do something right, like a recall about this crap that several people are having issues with. A model that eats oil and blows up. Ridiculous !!

- Thomas C., Clinton, US

May 042015

Equinox LTZ

I bought my 2012 Chevy Equinox in 2013. I noticed right away that it seemed to use much more oil than any other vehicle I had ever had. When I brought it to the dealership their answer was "some cars just use more oil" FINALLY, 4 years later, they issue a recall. Just wondering, with everyone else who had complained, did your vehicle also have a "cracked manifold" that they could take care of much easier and for less money while having the recall?

- Lauren J., Northbridge, US

Sep 292015

Equinox AWD 4 cyl

Excessive oil consumption between oil changes. I have added at least 2 quarts of oil every 2 weeks between oil changes. Drove my son to work and the engine started making noise,, had 2 put a quart of oil in engine. Drove to Chevrolet.. mechanic says engine is bad and oil was down three quarts...not even due for scheduled oil changes.. Been running oil consumption test..Chevy know these 2012 Chevy Equinox's were defective.

- lateria717, Eastpointe, US

Aug 142017

Equinox 2.4L

It seems that many people are having a problem with this. There is a Special Coverage from GM for THIS coverage 16118. I don't know what the problem is, but there needs to be a permanent fix. This special coverage is for excessive oil consumption.

- tglicari, Barrington, US

Nov 012016

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

Purchased my Equinox as a used vehicle, but with only 9k miles on it. Didn't notice anyting until last year when the engine started making a strange fluttering/rattling sound one day at about 75k miles. I called my son because he is pretty knowledgeable about cars, and he says for me to immediately go to the nearest auto parts store or dealership and have someone check my oil, because engines will make that sound when they are running with no oil.

He was right -- the employee at an AutoZone store that was close by said they couldn't get any oil whatsoever to register. I had them add oil so I could drive it home, and my son said we needed to check it every week at least and see if this problem continued. It did. The car would regularly be low on oil and we could find no evidence of leaks in our garage or driveway.

Not long after this I received a letter from GM saying they had been made aware of the oil consumption problem and for me to bring the car to my dealership if I noticed the issue, so I took the letter and went to my local dealership, Randy Marion Chevrolet. They advised me I needed to start an oil consumption test to document that the car was truly consuming oil before GM would pay for the repair.

The first time in I was told to bring the car in every 1000 miles, which I did, and then was told I had to bring it every 2000 miles instead, and that we needed to start the test over (after about 2 or 3 trips to the dealership with low oil). So we started the tests over and I went about every 2000 miles this time. They told me we had to document it 4 times. I was concerned about driving the car another 8000 miles with this problem and potentially causing MORE damage to my engine, but they said this was what GM required. No choice, so I went about every 2000 miles.

At the 4th trip, thinking I had finally gone through every hoop possible to get my car fixed, the technician tells me "oh, sorry, you had 2300 miles this time between your tests and we can't document this time (even though I was 2 quarts low) so we have to start the whole test process OVER AGAIN and document another 4 times that it's low. 4 times equals ANOTHER 8000 miles on my engine that has already been DOCUMENTED to have OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES. I went through the roof to say the least.

Technician tells me the service manager will talk to me and explain. Service manager tells me GM is being super picky on reimbursing dealerships for this problem and if they don't have every "T" crossed and "i" dotted they won't get reimbursed for the repair. After me throwing another major fit over having to start this blasted test over again after months of coming to the dealership to try to get the repair, he says to bring it one more time and if it's low on oil they will send it to GM to see if they will fix it.

Sorry this complaint is so wordy, but this is just so everyone can see how absolutely ridiculous this whole process is to get a KNOWN PROBLEM fixed by GM. I've been a loyal GM customer for 30 years, having bought a multitude of vehicles, from cars to trucks, suburbans, and diesel dually pickup trucks for our farm. So disappointed that GM seems to be trying to avoid a recall on this obvious defect. I'm trading next year and the next vehicle WILL NOT be a GM.

Update from Dec 27, 2017: Update -- after about 7 months of trying to jump through every hoop imaginable to get my Equinox fixed for the excessive oil consumption problem at my local dealership, Randy Marion Chevrolet, my car started making a different, much louder noise and losing power. I took it immediately to the dealership where I was told "ok now we can fix your car. GM has approved the repair. Your timing chain needs replacing." The letter GM had sent me told me the repair for excessive oil consumption had to do with defective pistons or piston rings and I asked them why they thought fixing the timing chain would solve the excessive oil consumption problem. The service rep at Randy Marion Chevrolet told me that the timing chain would also cause it to consume excessive oil. I was suspicious, to say the least, that this would not fix the oil problem, but they refused to do any other repair. They wanted to replace the timing chain. When I picked up the car, the loud noise was gone and the power was back to normal, so I hoped that maybe they were right and the oil consumption problem would be fixed also. WRONG. After only about 4 weeks and 2000 more miles my car again started making the noise that I had gotten used to when my oil was low. I took it to Randy Marion again and it was 3 quarts low on oil. I said, so now you will fix the defective piston rings like my letter says are causing the problem? The reply was "no, sorry, but since we repaired your timing chain and that didn't fix the oil problem, we have to start your oil consumption test all over again." Can't believe this crap. I called GM customer service to complain and the first senior advisor that reached out to me agreed with me, saying they should have fixed the piston rings because that was what the letter indicated. She said she would call the dealership and discuss. After 2 or 3 weeks I get a call from someone different who tells me that the dealership is correct and GM requires the oil consumption test to be redone if the timing chain is replaced, and that this was their policy. I replied it didn't say anything about a timing chain in the letter they sent me. It clearly says the oil consumption problem has been linked to defective piston rings. And I have documented at least 5 times over the past 8 or 9 months that my car has excessive oil consumption. But I guess my hands are tied here. It's like no one at GM or the dealership has common sense. Or possibly they are just trying to frustrate me to the point where I trade the car and leave them alone. I'm not doing that, though. I will make sure this car gets fixed, trade it, and will never buy another GM again. I've owned GM vehicles all my adult life, and have 3 in the driveway now. But this experience has shown me how GM does not care about customers, and Randy Marion Chevrolet in my opinion is not to be trusted. They have given me the run around for nearly a year for a well documented problem. Run, don't walk from this dealership.

- Gina C., Mount Ulla, US

Apr 122017

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

My car started to have a rattle noise and some hesitation. I called dealer and they got it in the next day. They diagnosed the problem and stated there was less then two quarts of oil in the system and needed new timing chain package, chain, exhaust actuator, intake actuator, tensioner, gasket, coolant and seal ($1697.16). This was unbelievable to me as it hadn't used or leaked any oil between oil changes. This is not normal for a car with only 73,000 miles and regular oil changes. When they were diagnosing my car I was talking to a Salesman about buying a new Acardia. We actually made a deal before I knew what was wrong with my Equinox. I found out before I left the dealer and had them fix it before trading it in. The warranty had run out and didn't find out until later that GM was having problems with the piston rings on this motor. I didn't want to stick them with the cost of repairs, but later find out I am the one getting hosed here. One month later received a letter from GM about the excessive oil consumption in this motor and how to get reimbursement for previous repairs. I filled in the form and gave it to my local dealer that did the repairs. They told me that the dealer or GM would contact me and let me know about the reimbursement. Six weeks later after hearing nothing from either. I contacted my salesman that I have known for many years. He said; he would find out the status and get back to me. A week later after hearing nothing from him, I called him again and he stated he had been in the hospital and he will get back to me. A week later after hearing nothing again I called the Customer Service Center and requested the status of my claim. They took all my info and would have a representative get back to me. A few days later Camille called and talked to my wife. She stated that they had reviewed my claim and decided to deny it for the reason that no oil consumption test was performed on my equinox at the time of repair. The letter I received for the reimbursement didn't say anything about a consumption test nor did I know anything about the piston ring problem GM was having with this motor. The dealer must have known and didn't do the test or tell me of the issue since this problem has been around for years as I now find out. I feel sorry for the next owner of this car because the piston rings were not changed and will almost certainly fail again. I have no way to notify the new owner and tell them to check the oil every gas fill up as GM now recommends, which is ridiculous. No one would buy a car if they had to do that. I believe that GM should do the right thing and recall all defective motors and or repair at no cost to the owner. They state that satisfaction with their product is very important to them.( What a joke!) I now wish I hadn't bought the new Acadia. I have been buying GM since 1983 and will be buying a new truck in the near future. You can be sure I won't be buying GM anymore.

CWH

Update from Jan 24, 2018: UpDate: I had discussion with service manager about GM not honoring the repair for this problem. He asked me to provide proof of regular oil changes and he would try to get GM to honor the repairs. A couple weeks later he asked me to stop in to the dealership at my convenience to discuss the outcome. When I stopped in and talked to him he told me that after his discussion with GM that they would reimburse me for half of my repairs and that their dealership would pay the other half. He handed me a check for the whole amount and I couldn't have been happier. I thanked him for taking the time to pursue it and that they had restored my faith somewhat in GM and the dealership. Perseverance can pay off so don't give up. I may have to reconsider GM for my next truck.

- cwh, Carthage, US

Jul 012016

Equinox LS 4 cyl

Still makes a God-awful noise when it starts up cold.

Already had it back for engine malfunction after engine rebuild.

- rcmcq, Pittsburgh, US

Jul 262016

Equinox LT 2.4L

I purchased my 2012 Equinox from a dealership in Kalamazoo Michigan, soon after the purchase I kept smelling a foul odor, I called the dealership and the service girl knew exactly what it was, I took it in and they fixed it, for a while, now the smell has come back. I have had problems with hard shifting since I have had it, every time I took it in for service I mentioned the transmission shifting hard, they checked it out and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. When my husband came home (he was working out of state at that time) I mentioned to my him I thought my car was making a weird noise and just didn't seem right, we took it to the dealership and they said it was low on oil. They started an oil consumption on the vehicle, the first time I brought it back to get it checked they said we need to get this in to get repaired. They replaced pistons, connecting rod and bearing replacement. Now a year later my car stalled on me a couple of times, then my husband I are were out of town and the car stalled 3 times. I called On-Star and they told me it was in the emissions. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the intake exhaust cam solenoid. Since it was burning 2 quarts every 1,000 miles and the solenoid went out I am wondering what else is going to happen to my car due to running so low on oil 3 or 4 times before they fixed it. I called GM they said they dealership would give me a loyalty for $1,000 on a new vehicle or a lease turn in. Hmmm is that all I am worth to them. Currently in my driveway I have an Equinox, Grand Prix, CamaroZ28 and a Malibu.

- Jody S., Portage, US

May 092017

Equinox

Bought 2012 Equinox new from local dealer. All maintenance and fluid Dealership told us this was normal and changes performed by dealership at the recommended intervals. At about 40k miles vehicle developed a rattle. Dealership advised us this was normal, they added oil and it took rattle away. We were not informed by dealer the local dealership we bought car from lost their this was a major issue that had been discovered with this model/series vehicle. This went on for about 2 years. Dealership lost their Chevy affiliation and warranty issues transferred to another local dealership. At about 67k , after consistent low oil issues, dealership started oil consumption, they replaced pistons and rings under drive train warranty.

- bcortani, Port Angeles, US

Jun 082016

Equinox LT 2.4L

Have to go every 1000 miles for a oil consumption check. Just fix this thing, I don't have time to sit for an hour every 1000 miles while they check a problem they know is wrong. I need to contact GM directly and flip out before I drive this car into a wall, that will fix it. This issue was happening from the day I bought this car from Berger Chevy and they played stupid and sold it anyway. A dealer that sells bad cars knowing they are bad is bull sh*t. The seller is just a responsible as GM themselves.

- Kathy T., Grand Rapids, MI, US

Jul 102015

Equinox

I had the exact same issues as everyone else. The 2012 Equinox started to sound like an old Model T and would die at red lights. I took to our mechanic and he said there was no oil in the car! He called the Chevy rep for us which came to look and told him we needed a new engine because we let it run with no oil. Our mechanic said well I change their oil every 5,000 miles so I know that's not true. The rep said they need to be changing every 1,000 miles! We could not believe it so I called Detroit. GM said this was normal and my husband should be putting oil in it all the time. We went with a brand new engine because were told if we put an old one in the same thing would happen again. Once its paid off it will be gone! We will never buy another Chevrolet again! Now my daughter drives it, we taught her how to check the oil and add if needed! OMG REALLY????

- Lori P., RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA, USA

May 272015

Equinox LT 2.4L

I had 2 oil consumption tests done in 2015 before 100,000 miles and was told both times that my car "met the specs". I have to travel around with quarts of oil in my car because I constantly have to check the oil and fill it up.

I recently received a letter from Chevrolet stating that they now acknowledge an oil consumption problem with this model year Equinox. My problem is I now have 138,000 miles and the fix is for vehicles with less than 120,000 miles. Neither my car dealership (Anoka MN) or Chevrolet are willing to fix the problem because I now have over 120,000 miles, even though I was having the problem below 100,000 miles.

I am definitely angry about this and am going to go to the top to address this issue. I'd like to know why 120,000 miles is the "magical number" for mileage. I am looking for a new vehicle and will not buy an Equinox and will not by a Chevrolet. I feel I have not been dealt with fairly.

- Elizabeth L., Wyoming, MN, US

Jun 062017

Equinox 2.4L

I BOUGHT A 2012 CHEVROLET EQUINOX WITH APPROX 2000 MILES AT TIME OF PURCHASE. AROUND 20,000 MILES I NOTICED IT USING OIL BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. TOOK IT TO CHEVROLET IN 2015, TOLD THEM THE PROBLEM. THEY REPLACED THE SEAL WITH OIL FILTER. THE LAST YEAR IT HAS STALLED, ENGINE KNOCK AND STILL USING MORE OIL. I GOT A LETTER MAY 2017 SAYING I NEED TO TAKE THE EQUINOX TO CHEVROLET DEALER IF I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS STATED IN THE LETTER, WHICH I HAVE AND STILL DO. THEY TOLD ME I HAD TO DRIVE IT 500 MILES, BRING IT BACK TO DO A ENGINE OIL PRESSURE TEST. AM STILL DRIVING IT. AFRAID TO BUT VERY WORRIED AND CONCERNED ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

- Pamela C., Jasper, AR, US