8.5

$5,200.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace rings and pistons (4 reports)
  3. replace engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Nov 122017

Equinox LT

My car is consuming excessive oil. My car was completely out of oil 2 weeks after an oil change, the car was making a loud noise and hesitating when you stepped on the gas. The piston rings and seals are bad. I am 19,000 miles over the warranty. GM is covering the 2011&2012 model up to 120000 miles. I took it to the dealer and the did an oil consumption test. They called Chevy and they would not cover it. They offered to pay 10% of the repair. I owe a lot of money on this car, it is a known failure and there should be a recall.

- , Douglasville, US

May 082017

Equinox

Brought our car in for the oil consumption test. After 1200 miles we had burned through a quart and a half of oil. Dealership said we are covered and they would fix the problem. Dropped the car off and the next day they called to say that we don't qualify now. Apparently only 2012 Equinoxes are covered. BS! We have proven that we burn through more oil than GM standards and no one is willing to take the blame and fix the issue. So we are stuck owing 15,000+ on a vehicle that sucks. Feeling extra screwed.

- , Kincheloe, US

Jan 162018

Equinox LT 2.4L

Purchased new 2013 equinox without any problems. Purchased extended warranty to 100k miles. In October 2017, had 100k service performed, no mention of oil being low at regular oil changes and service. On January 16, 2018, engine light came on, called mechanic and told to drive to shop. Reduced engine power message came on while driving, car died about a half a mile to the shop. When I got the car to the shop, was told there was no oil in the engine. They told me there were known problems with the engine over-consuming oil and that there had been recalls in the earlier models for same. They were unable to purchase the same engine due to it no longer being available and had to purchase an "updated" engine from the dealer. I called GM and filed a complaint and was told there is not currently a recall on my model year, but to save receipts for the repair cost and they created a claim number. The vehicle has been well maintained and serviced regularly. I followed the vehicle recommendations on oil changes, however will be going per my mechanics recommended service. It's crazy that there is not a digital warning that pops up when there is no oil in your engine, yet it still said 35% left til next oil change?????

- , Smithfield, US

Jan 152016

Equinox

I purchased this vehicle for my daughter after her 2008 Equinox was total in a wreck. The 2013 still had factory warranty. My daughter took it to Bacon Chevrolet in Athens, TX and got the royal run around. First, they said the excessive oil consumption was a broken timing chain; which they replace under warranty. The excessive oil consumption continued (which I expected, and confirmed with a reputable mechanic).

My daughter again took the Equinox to Bacon, now with a little over 100,000 miles. They estimated $3500 - $4200 to fix the problem, and not under warranty. I spoke with the service manger, who informed me that Chevrolet may kick in some money, but would not know how much until after tearing into the engine. I was pissed. I contacted Chevrolet owners, voiced my complaint with no avail. I was even my pissed off when I Googled 2013 Equinox problems and found numerous complaints with oil consumption problems, some with recalls, depending on VIN.

I contacted the service manager at Bacon to check if this car was part of the recall; and it was not with in the VIN with recall for excessive oil consumption. I have owned numerous Chevrolet vehicles and currently have two; however, after this experience with Chevrolet, with a known problem year vehicle and lack of taking responsibility by the dealership service department and Chevrolet owners, I will be looking at other makes, period. Adios, Chevrolet!

- , Athens, US

Jan 052018

Equinox LT 2.4L

Have not found out yet what GM will do 40 Days out of warranty. Car was running fine then my wife smelled oil and exhaust, then check engine light came on, Reduced power setting codes P228D and P0014. Looked car over and noticed Oil Leaking out of engine, at 61,000 miles a vehicle should not have major issues with the engine.

Update from Jan 10, 2018: turns out pcv valve froze causing pressure to blow main crank seal, High fuel pressure regulator and another sensor shot,, Gm wants me to pay 1200.00 towards repair There is a TSB for the PCV valve causing this issue from 2010 to 2013 models, however they say my motor is not included. I call B.S. this is a known issue with this motor and to exclude any motor from this added warranty of 10 yr 1000000 mile increase is utterly a slap in the face to owners. will be starting a complaint with GM and Social Media campaign until this is remedied.

- , Mason, US

Jun 012017

Equinox LS 3.2L

My Equinox starting making and really odd knocking sound. I was really close to needing an oil change at my usual 3 k mile interval, so I decided to take it in early and let them know of the knocking sound. Glad that I did decide to go in early because the guy at the dealership said it was bone dry! I must admit that I never lift the hood of my car unless I need to add washer fluid. Which is why I am adamant about taking my car in for routine maintenance and regular oil changes to the same dealership that I purchased my car.

The service tech, said that he had heard of similar issues in the Equinox and suggested that I return every 1 k miles to have a oil consumption test. I returned as suggested every 1 k miles. Let me tell you that going to the dealership every 1 k miles is no easy task when your schedule is already hectic and full of work and children activities, but I did it. Well at the end of the oil consumption test which was until my next scheduled oil change (3 k miles late) I learned that although my car was using too much oil it was still within the "boundaries" allowable per GM protocol. Just bring it back if the same knocking continues. Very next oil change exact same issue and I am back to spending extra time in the dealership again.

I personally bought a newer model car to avoid spending so much time in the dealership handling issues such as these. This is ridiculous!

- , Detroit, US

Nov 042017

Equinox LT2 2.4L

I bought this car at 17,000 miles and have it meticulously maintained. September 2016 I had a engine rattling noise and took it in to the dealer for check. They said it my timing chain needed to be replaced but was covered under my warranty. They replaced and vehicle has been fine. Check engine light came on October/November 2017 and took it to dealer and they said it was 2 sensors covered by my power train warranty that needed replaced. Now December 2017 heard a bad rattling noise no check engine light took to dealer and they said I was a quart low on oil and there was carbon build up in the pistons which indicate my piston and valves need to be replaced (also covered under warranty). My car now has 94,000 miles and will be out of warranty soon. Chevy/GMC needs to do a recall on this problem there is obviously issues!!

- , Sand Springs, US

Oct 072017

Equinox LT

I purchased a brand new 2013 Chevrolet Equinox in 2013 and after four years of ownership started experiencing issues with the engine. First issue occurred January 2017, Engine rough idle at red lights, then check engine light, then loud engine knocking noise, finally all of the oil leaked out. Towed vehicle to Chevrolet dealer and after a week thought it was repaired. June 2017, again loud rough idle at light followed by check engine light staying on. Took it the the dealership and thought it was repaired. Now first week of October 2017 same issue rough idle at lights and check engine light. Took it to the dealership, vehicle misfires 793 times showing on scan, showing issue on scan, but can only recommend a top engine cleaning. Also dipstick registering NO OIL. Then I remembered 3-4 other times when I didn't take my vehicle to the dealership for oil changes the other service people advised me that my oil was very low, almost no oil. I refused the top engine cleaning but added oil then rough idle stopped and check engine light went off. This engine is defective, burns an excessive amount of engine oil, and the dealership/GM doesn't have a solution because they will not acknowledge a problem. DO NOT BUY A GM VEHICLE. They don't stand behind their product. I contacted GM customer service and their executive office and they are extremely unhelpful.

- , Detroit, US

Sep 252017

Equinox LT

my 2013 Equinox has started using oil like crazy, does not smoke and no oil leak, I came to this website and saw how many of these suvs are having the same problem. Is Chevrolet going to fix this issue?

- , Flat Rock, US

Jan 172014

Equinox LS 2.4L

I have had this vehicle back to the Dealer over 15 times and have been told the same BS every time "THIS IS NORMAL". Since when did the GM DEALERS become members of CONGRESS?? I have never had a problem with any of my GM Vehicles before! I had a Chevy Express Van 1500 that I had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it and never had a PROBLEM like I am having with this Equinox! I have been to 3 Different Dealers and have been told the same BS every time! The last time I took the Equinox in to the Dealer they said that there are "NO RECORDS" of the vehicle being brought in to any Dealerships for this problem!

It is a SHAME that GM does not CARE and they just keep giving everyone the run around! My wife loves this vehicle but I am about ready to get rid of it and buy a Jeep! I need a vehicle that is dependable because I am DISABLED. I am thinking about contacting the MEDIA and asking for help with this problem because I am not getting anywhere with the Dealerships, or GM.

The biggest joke is when you call the GM REPS and get told that someone will call you back, I have been waiting for 5 months on a return phone call and yes I have called every day including Weekends and Holidays. SHAME ON YOU GM!!!!!!

- , Medina, US

Jan 172017

Equinox LS 2.4L

We leased my 2013 Chevy Equinox in Nov 2012. Then I decided to keep it once the lease ran out. It was great and I loved it. Never had any issues until earlier in 2017 when I had gotten my oil changed and approx 3 weeks later started hearing a "scraping" sound when starting my vehicle and stepping on the gas. My engine just didn't sound right. I took it to my mechanic and they proceeded to tell me that I didn't have any oil in my car! What? I just had the oil changed and a cleaner put through. I thought the oil change place had done something to mess it up. I didn't know what to do or that there was even a problem with these vehicles. They changed my oil again and reset the engine light. I was told to check my oil every 1000 miles and that Chevy says that is normal to have to put oil in that routinely. This coming from my mechanic (he doesn't agree that it's normal). Over the course of about 9 months, I have had to deal with this and checking my oil and putting 1 to 1 1/2 quarts in every 1000 miles. The last time I was in (about 1 month ago), it was suggested that I trade it in for a different vehicle as it would be too expensive to fix. The problem is that I still owe more than it's worth. Wasn't sure what to do. Then, a couple of days ago, I smoked a deer. After having the damage assessed and having informed the insurance assessor of the previous engine problem, he stated that there was a lot of damage and since I had the issue with my vehicle burning oil, he would deem it totaled. He also told me that a lot of people were having the same issue, but at this point Chevy has not acknowledged the problem to the point of having a recall. He stated that it would be $5000-6000 to repair it after my repairs from the deer accident. I can't believe so many people are having the same issue, yet Chevy continues to look the other way! I will not be purchasing another Chevy equinox.

- , Big Rapids, US

Aug 122017

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

On August 12, 2017 I noticed that my engine starting knocking. Initially I thought it was bad gasoline so I tried a different gas station. The problem continued to persist so I started looking online for possible solutions. I saw that others had complained of the same issue as a result of excessive oil consumption. I am getting oil changes at the recommended mileage at the Chevy dealership. My oil gauge registered 18% oil life. I checked the oil and low and behold it was bone dry! Added a quart of dexos1 knocking stopped. I am going to the dealership immediately to get oil and filter. I will most certainly report the issue to the dealer since I was there at the end of April for an oil change.

- , Lanham, US

Jul 052017

Equinox

On June 12, 2017: I drove 25 miles to work with no problems. I left work and got about a half mile and heard loud knocking noises. I pulled over in the nearest gas station and checked the oil. Nothing registered on the stick. There was no oil on the ground, blown on the inside of the motor or underneath. I called my mechanic and he suggested I put in 3 QTS of oil in it (he just changed the oil 3k miles earlier) and get it down to him right away. He found nothing wrong with diagnostics and told me to keep an eye on it. After a thousand more miles we checked the oil again and it was another quart low. Then on July 5, 2017 we started it after a short drive and it started knocking again. This time the oil was full. I will be calling the local Chevrolet dealer to see what can be done. I was told there is another recall coming out for this very same problem.

- , Litchfield, Minnesota, US

May 012016

Equinox LX

I BOUGHT THIS 2013 CHEVY EQUINOX FOR MY 21 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER, PAID 13,000$ FOR THE POS....SHE HAD A 2008 EQUINOX WITH NO PROBLEMS......THIS ONE IS USING OIL LIKE CRAZY, THEY TOLD ME IT WAS STANDARD FOR A CHEVY TO USE A QUART OF OIL EVERY 2000 MILES, THEY SURE AS HELL DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN I BOUGHT IT...I TOLD THEM A 21 YEAR OLD COLLEGE STUDENT WOULD BE USING IT AND I NEEDED SOMETHING SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT. THEY ALSO TOLD ME THEY JUST DID AN OIL CHANGE AND FILLED ALL THE FLUIDS, A FEW WEEKS LATER I HAD HER CHECK THE OIL.....COMPLETELY EMPTY...WHEN I CALLED THEM THEY SAID IT'S BECAUSE THE CAR HAD BEEN SITTING THERE FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND HAD NO OIL, I TOLD THEM WHEN I BOUGHT IT, THEY ASSURED ME THE OIL HAD JUST BEEN CHANGED. HE STUDDERED SOMETHING AND SAID I DON'T KNOW WHO TOLD YOU THAT, I SAID YOUR SALESPERSON, THAT JUST SO HAPPEN TO NO LONGER WORK THERE. I AM PISSED BEYOND PISSED. I AM ABOUT TO PARK THAT POS ON THEIR LAWN WITH A LEMON SIGN ON IT. THEY LIED LIED LIED AND LIED SOME MORE.

SLIDELL, LA

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Feb 082016

Equinox LS 2.4L

Car uses a quart of oil every 750 miles.... Change oil and filter every 3 to 5k miles.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Apr 152015

Equinox LX 2.4L

Bought the Chevy for my wife and it's an ongoing adventure. Gas cap does not seal at 5 below zero, check engine light comes on. Fill up gas at 10 below zero, evap filter fills with gas and fill the car with gas fumes for the next 30 minutes on the freeway. But worst of all is the oil use, it's down a quart every other week. If you take a 400 mile drive by end of your destination, engine runs rough check engine light comes on. It's a pain in the ass, which Chevy call normal use. We typically run ours cars 150 to 200 k to practical end of life span (for us) before selling or trading in. At 52 K the Equinox is about the end of being dependable to drive. What a shame!

- , Chanhassen, MN, US

Jul 142016

Equinox LS 2.4L

We bought a 2013 Chevy Equinox LS 2.4 L 4 Cyl in May 2013. We have noticed an excessive amount of oil use. The last 2 times we checked the dipstick showed no oil. We maintain all of our vehicles through the dealership. After reading this web site, I see other have had the same issue. When we took the Equinox back to the dealer in July @ 28000 miles,. we had to add 2 qts to get there safely. We took it back 1000 miles later, dealer said it was fine but they are aware there is an issue with some of the Equinox's. Today, we checked the oil. Completely empty once again after going 4000 miles.

- , Westville, IN, USA

Jun 012016

Equinox LT

Since purchasing my vehicle I have always had it serviced on time. Recently it started consuming oil to the point where there was almost none. My vehicle uses synthetic oil. There is no oil leak, yet after having it changed not even a month later the oil is nearly gone. Getting my oil changed is not cheap and having this issue is starting to be an issue.

- , Rosemead, CA, USA

Nov 042016

Equinox 2.4L

After two valve jobs at 16,000 and 83,000 miles I am at the end of my warranty (98,540 miles) and have no oil showing on my dipstick after 3,000 miles on an oil change. The dealer who did the last job in Az. said they would need to do pistons and rings if it did it again. I have put so many miles on from "oil consumption" tests that I am very frustrated and will be heading to the Oregon dealer Monday morning--in hopes they will not have to do another oil consumption test--this has gotten to be rididulous. I will be contacting Chevrolet if that is the case. To be continued...

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Oct 252016

Equinox 2.4L V4

I took my truck to the dealer due to a loud engine noise and sluggish movement between gears. Had to have my oil change. They said I was almost 3 quarts of oil short. Luckily no engine damaged!!! They told me this is normal for my truck to burn oil every 1000 miles due to the high friction of running this 4 cylinder type of engine. This is not normal. This is unacceptable to have to check my oil all the time to see if I'm short. Also, oil light indicator light NEVER came on. In summary, Very bad job Chevy!!

- , Lyndhurst, NJ, USA