8.7

$3,020

Most common solutions:

2. replace rings and pistons (12 reports)
  3. replace engine (3 reports)
  4. replace intake and output solenoids (3 reports)
  5. intake manifold and crankshaft seal replaced (1 reports)
  6. replace rear main seal, exhaust manifold, & o2 sensor (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

May 012019

Equinox LS

This has truly been the most annoying and scary problem! I'm constantly having to add oil, approx 4-6 quarts per month. Yes, I do have regular oil changes performed by a mechanic. Constantly have to restock the 4-6 quarts of oil that I keep as "spares just in case" in the back of my Equinox. The engine light would come on, act like it wants to stall out, totally freaking me out! Knowing how important proper oil level is, I always check that first. ALWAYS, the oil is extremely low, sometimes not even showing up on the dipstick and I just added oil less than a week ago! So, I add more oil, time and time again. Sometimes 1 quart, sometimes, 1, 3, 4 quarts! Its ridiculous! Constantly checking under my vehicle to see if any has leaked all over the ground. Never a drop, it just keeps burning it. I have taken it to a mechanic at least 3 separate times to hear, I don't see any oil leak, it has to be using the oil. Well, thanks Einstein! As a single mom, I have enough to worry about without having to worry about my engine blowing up every time I have to drive somewhere. It's stressful and has me paranoid to drive long distances because I'm paranoid I'm going to get stranded on the side of the road with a blown up engine and no money to pay for a new one! I definitely expected much more quality out of Chevy/GM. And then to find out that they hid the problem! I'm beyond mad and will never look at Chevy/GM as a reliable, trusted vehicle if they don't get this fixed. Just disgusted....

- Jill B., Saint George, SC, US

Dec 022016

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

Wish we hadn't bough this car!! I got a 2013 equinox LTZ with a huge oil consumption. I don't qualify for the recall due to high mileage now. My car gets an oil change every month and I add 1 qrt per week. Where does the oil goes?? The dip stick is always dry. My car is commuter 80 miles in, 80 miles out and I'm surprised it has not broken down. Just the fact that the oil vanishes fast is what bums me out. I had a huge leak under the car oil all over the frame and pulleys. I went and changed the crank shaft o ring seal and fixed the leak, but it turns out that seal keeps breaking, so I had to change it 3 months later and now again I will change it because I see oil leak again. I can hear the engine bone dry on oil all the time..no engine light whatsoever though!!!?? wtf is wrong with this car?? No more Eco Chevy for me!!

- Uriel H., Stockton, US

Nov 152015

Equinox LS 2.4L

I’ve had my 2013 Chevrolet Equinox since 2015. I’ve had pistons replaced, oil leak “repaired”, and now my engine. It’s been issues after issue since I’ve gotten this car and the dealership says there’s nothing they can do. I have to put oil in my car every 3 weeks. I’ve been stranded with my kids and I’ve had to miss work due to my car constantly having issues and being in the shop. You pay good money for a lemon and no help. The dealership didn’t even tell me about recalls and I’m at the dealership ever other month. I happened to check online. Smh. No more Chevy or GM period for me.

- Serita H., Decatur, US

Jan 312019

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

On 1/31/2019 I was pulling in my driveway when my car stalled. No check engine lights or anything came on. It started right back up, I finished pulling in my driveway and it stalled again. Started up again and engine was making a knocking noise. Immediately shut car off. When inspecting the car, the whole underneath of my car was covered in oil and oil was dripping out from under the engine. Had car towed to dealership. Was told the PCV unit had become "junked up" causing it to put out too much pressure which caused the rear main seal to blow out and crack the exhaust manifold, and that it messed up an oxygen sensor. Well the warranty on my vehicle had run out in 8/2018, so my out of pocket expense was $2,612. I did much research on this and it is a common problem!!!! How is this not a recall issue???? 2 weeks after getting my car back my radio quit working....that's another $1200 expense!!!! Also a common problem!!!

- Stephanie W., Elizabeth, WV, US

May 012017

Equinox LT 2.4L

Problem started 2 years ago! I thought my 2013 Equinox was leaking because their was no blue smoke or burning oil smell. I had 3 different shops tell me that they found no leak. IMPOSSIBLE I said! With as much oil I was adding, it had to be leaking!! I am adding at least a quart every 2 weeks.! This is ridiculous!!! This was my first new car and I can't believe GM would be as snaky as they are!! This is a HUGE and EXPENSIVE issue!!

- Jason H., Maple, WI, US

Feb 012019

Equinox LX 4L

I OWE $10,000 ON THIS CAR AND I NEED CHEVY TO FIX IT! IT IS BURNING OIL LIKE CRAZY

The Chevrolet Equinox Ecotec engine lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Ellen Berman and Dayana Guach, et al., v. General Motors LLC.

The plaintiffs are represented by Ahdoot & Wolfson, P.C., Greg Coleman Law, and Whitfield, Bryson & Mason LLP.

Chevy Equinox oil consumption complaints:

- Joyce C., Canton, US

May 102019

Equinox LT 2.4L

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox. I just paid $2600.00 in January because the engine light came on and they supposedly fixed the problem. Yesterday the engine light came on again (camshaft sensor). I took it to the same dealer (Christensen Chevy in Highland Indiana) again. Now they tell me it is going to be $3500.00 to fix the problem. They said it is using excessive oil and I need my pistons and rings changed. This problem should have been fixed in January. Now I am reading that they are supposed to tell me to do an oil consumption test. I was never told this by them. I am reading about it now. I believe Chevy should recall these engines and fix them properly. I am reading now that this was a known problem by Chevy and they do not care. I will be willing to join ANY lawsuit case that comes along about this problem. I need a car now and I cannot pay $3600.00 after already paying $2600.00 four months ago. Believe me Chevy will never get my business again. I still need this problem fixed.

- Joyce W., Merrillville, US

Jun 012018

Equinox LS

I bought this car 2016 and started having problem with oil consumption first year I owned it. I took it in for oil change and I was completely out of oil. The dealer, Neil Huffman Chev, in Frankfort KY told there was an oil consumption issue with the Equinox and I had to do an oil consumption test every 500 miles for 5,000 miles. We did this at end they called GM and were advised they wouldn't do anything it hadn't lost enough oil.

Bought in again down the road for oil change and it was out of oil again so they told me do the oil consumption test again. WELL guess what. I had check engine light come on after having it show oil loss every 500 miles and dealer is now telling no idea why someone had me do this test as this vehicle isn't included in oil consumption problem.

Now they tell me I need timing chain, piston rings etc a new engine!! I owe 8,000 more than the car is worth and have no money to buy a new engine so I am screwed. I bought extended warranty as it had 70k miles when I bought and ext warranty goes to $100k apparently..HERE IS THE RUB...if they had dealt with this the first time we saw it was running out of oil which was over 10,000 miles ago I would've been on my extended warranty!!

It hurts..the dealer screed up and GM sucks

- Sheila E., Frankfort, KY, US

Jan 262018

Equinox LS 2.4L

Purchased this 2013 Equinox used January 2018 90K miles when bought. 2 weeks after purchase on a trip from VA to PA - on the highway and all the sudden the car shuts off, dashboard flashing all lights- engine power reduced. 70 mph to 0 in 1 second. Thank the heavens that I was able to get the car off the road to the shoulder before getting slammed in the rear. I cut the car off checked the water and oil and there was no oil showing on the dipstick. I had just had the oil change 2 days before the trip $80 (oil change). Called triple A and they towed me to the nearest repair shop.

The repair shop said it was nothing wrong just ran it low on oil- BULLSHIT! Added 4 quarts of oil to the car and then tried to start the car and it was buck jumping and rocking back and forth, cut the car off tried to start again and same issue. After sitting for 3 hours (car still won't start)

on the 5th hour of sitting the car finally started. I was able to make it home.

- Jennifer R., Scottsville, US

Dec 212018

Equinox

Equinox began jerking when stalled. It shook violently. I took it in. I was told I was out of oil. The Check Engine light never came on. I was not due for an oil change. Tire place said it burns oil. They charged me for an oil change. One month later same issue.

I take it into the dealership. I am a few months over on the power train warranty. They charge me $400 to clean engine and add oil then tell me the fix is to pay $3500 for new pistons/rings among other things. As I am waiting to get my vehicle a lady with another 2013 Equinox tells me that she has the same problem. She brings her Equinox to the dealership every 1000 miles. They fill up her oil at no charge. I think ask Service Advisor if this is a common problem and he says yes, but not a major problem because their is no recall. I ask WHY IS THERE NO RECALL??????? A $3500 repair is not major?????

I am very upset now. Still paying on this darn lemon. Chevrolet likes to advertise that they are the most reliable. LOL. That JD Power study rates vehicles after 90 days. That means nothing. I want a vehicle that lasts. Who do I contact to complain?

- Tre B., Warren, MI, US

Jan 302019

Equinox LX

Not knowing about the excessive oil consumption prior to the incident and not doing enough research before buying. I am very disappointed in this issue since the part itself is less than $30.00 but the deal was wanting $4,000.00 to fix, ridiculous. Never had bought the extended warranty before, thank goodness I was talked into purchasing this time and the repairs will cost me $200.00. However, I have been told that this problem could occur again next winter. There is no way I would be able to afford this problem again, let alone the inconvenience this has caused. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall on this problem Chevrolet is having. How do I get on the class action lawsuit?

- Lisa B., Barnhart, US

Aug 052017

Equinox LS 2.4L

Add us to the list! 2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4L burning through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles! Purchased used from a Chevy dealer in May 2017 with around 60K mi, oil changes every 5,000 mi. Didn't notice a problem until August 2018 when we noticed the vehicle running really rough and noisily. We were stunned to find it needed 5 quarts of oil!

Long story, we did the oil consumption test 3 times with the dealer before they acknowledged it has a problem. It's going back in to the dealer for them to look further into it. I'm definitely not encouraged by the complaints I'm reading here about GM refusing to fix the issue despite having known about this issue since the 2010 model year. I'm going to try and find out the status of a lawsuit filed last February for this exact problem.

- Shopper J., Concord, NH, US

Nov 052018

Equinox Limited 2.4L, V4

I have had to add at least 3 quarts of Mobil Oil1 in between the last two oil changes.

- Chris H., Bloomington, IN, US

Aug 012016

Equinox LT 2.4L

Had to check and add oil several times a month in addition to regular oil changes. Couldn't figure out the problem but it went through a lot of oil.

- Jenn C., Shipman, VA, US

Jan 262019

Equinox

Bought Equinox new in 2013, had it serviced regularly, oil changed every 3000 mile, driven by my wife. Paid off November 2018. Car started sputtering on a trip and broke down along side the road with 76000 miles on it. Towed to a Chevy dealer, dealer said engine needed replaced, cause low oil, contacted Chevy customer service, a week later they got back to me. They offered to cover 30% of the dealer estimate of $7200, but the dealer had to use a new Chevy engine, which is apparently $2500 more than a 3rd party engine. So disappointed Chevy knew this was an issue and chose not to contact owners. Long story short, if you have GM stock, sell now, because no one in my family will ever purchase a GM product again and from reading the complaints, that's the going theme.

- Nelson E., Penn Yan, US

Aug 012018

Equinox LT 4

After having to make numerous to a doctor 150 miles away (one way) my husband decided to check my oil. This was 2000 miles after oil change. We added oil. I contacted Chevrolet. They asked me to my local dealer for an oil consumption test. Each time after one thousand miles they added some oil. I had to make the trip to Columbia this last time every week for six weeks for injections. My car used 2 1/2 quarts of oil. The dealer says that is within Chevrolet guide lines! What can I expect at 100,000 miles? The Chevrolet rep keeps asking if my car is fixed? So she says she's contacting Scenic Chevrolet. At any rate my car is burning oil and they say the engine was designed to do so. I asked if they tell people that? The studdering starts then. I really hold no hope they'll fix my car. It makes me sick.

Update from Dec 17, 2018: My update is they want me to do an oil consumption test with a dealer 26 miles away. This after they told me the Equinox is operating within Chevrolet guidelines. And I quote " it was designed to do this". When I ask if they tell people that, they begin to studder

Update from Feb 1, 2019: Chevrolet has asked me now to do an oil consumption test with a dealer 26 miles away. My appointment is next

week, (we're still 2000 miles from sticker change). My husband checked it yesterday, it's down to one mark till no

oil. So now until I see them Wednesday, I'm afraid to drive my car. This time I haven't been to Columbia this is

round town driving! I'm sick of this car. It has not been fixed nor do I believe they will fix it.

- Alice G., Seneca, US

Oct 202018

Equinox LTX 2.4L 4 cyl

This has been ongoing for a while but adding oil would solve the problem temporarily. My car was not correctly monitoring my oil levels and I would find it bone dry long before I was due for an oil change. It would hop up and down while idling at stop lights. It got progressively worse.

I had a mechanic change out the spark plugs and add oil. He said this was short-term fix and the larger fix was probably not worth it as it would be at least a couple thousand dollars. We started checking the oil levels weekly.

Finally, regardless of having oil, it began to not accelerate, bounce up and down while idling, and it was seemingly not safe to drive. It would also stall out on me when sitting in traffic. I took it to another mechanic, and he said the piston would need to be replaced, which would be well over a grand, and that would not be worth putting into this car.

- Katherine G., Nashville, TN, US

Jan 112019

Equinox LE 4 cyl

We have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, that is useless and it isn’t even paid off. We had no idea there was a problem with our car until this morning when it quit running. After having it tow to our mechanic, we found out there was no oil and the engine was fried. We just had the oil changed less than 2 months ago. No oil light ever came on. We are very diligent about our oil changes. Now we have a car with 55,000 miles and it needs a new engine, which our mechanic says will be a waste because the engines for this car all have the same issues.

When I called the dealer, he told me I should be checking the oil weekly, if I would have I would have noticed the low oil and then my engine would not have been destroyed. I have never heard of checking your oil weekly, I don’t even put gas in it weekly. I told him the oil light never came on, which he ignored.

Any suggestions at all do I just junk a car I still owe $5000 on. Or pay $3000 - $4000, to fix it and then trade it in.

- Daniel M., Erie, US

Aug 012017

Equinox LX 2.4L

I had issues with my 2013 Equinox starting sometime in Spring 2017. I noticed between oil changes I was having to add a quart or so of oil. After some online research about issues with these cars burning oil, I contacted a local Chevrolet dealer and they recommended to me that I bring the car in for an "oil consumption test." After having to start the "oil consumption test" a second time, (directions were not clear on the initial instructions to bring the car in every 1,000 miles and was told to come in when it was 1 qt low), the vehicle clearly failed and GM was notified by the dealership. I was down 3.75 quarts by the end of the test. I was then informed by the dealership, per GM, because the car fell out of warranty while completing the "oil consumption test" that they could only assist with a $1550 payment towards the cost of $3100 in engine repairs. These oil issues started around 55K miles. I was irate and sent a letter to Chevrolet Divisional as recommended by a "senior advisor" (866) 790-5600 back in June 2018 to ask them to fix the problem.

Now here we are in 9/2018, no word from "Chevrolet Divisional PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170 and yet another call to Chevrolet to fight for what is right and still seeking a "no cost repair" to my vehicle. At this time, I am driving around with an extra quart of oil in my back seat. Really, at 70K miles at this point and 3+ quarts added between oil changes, there obviously is a known proven problem and they don't care. They ignore it. Not happy, but I'll keep after Chevrolet for repairs.

- Brenda C., Hope, US

Jan 012015

Equinox

Never, ever buy a Chevy Equinox. Currently have a 2013 Chevy Equinox and the thing is a piece of garbage. It eats oil at an excessive rate. Don't have a leak so its going somewhere? This has been going on for quite some time but have always got the run around. We now have a case of oil in the car at all times so that we can add oil when there is none in it. I just called the dealer today because I have seen all the reviews about this happening to a lot of customers.

They told me that they would have to do an oil consumption test to determine if there is in fact an issue. That would be at my expense! Are you kidding!??? But, if it is determined that I haven't been imagining things and that the car is a piece of junk then we would be responsible for the repairs since the warranty ended in Feb 2018. The oil has been an ongoing issue and I have always mentioned that when I take it into the shop, whether it be the dealer or local garage. I am always told the same thing. Cars use oil, there are no recalls, blah, blah, blah. I don't know how many solenoids have been replaced on this thing.

And, just in April 2018, I had it at the dealer for a week because the engine light was on and it failed emissions for inspection. It needed a new exhaust manifold because it was cracked, the catalyst in the converter melted internally resulting in needing a new catalytic converter. The oil usage was also mentioned at this visit. If stopped at a light, the car will rock back and forth and it sounds like a tractor trailer.

I'ts down right terrible that Chevy is doing nothing in regards to fixing these issues and making things right for their customers. We spent over $30,000 on a lemon and Chevy is taking no responsibility for making junk cars. They have been aware of these problems for quite some time. I was told by customer service today that my particular VIN # needs to be affected? Well, I'm the one driving the vehicle...I don't need you to tell me if its affected or not, IT IS!!! And, I most certainly should not have to pay for an oil consumption test for it to tell you exactly what I'm telling you! And I most certainly should not have to pay for repairs on a vehicle that was poorly made.

Maybe if Chevy would have addressed these issues instead of ignoring them it may have not affected so many people. We will never purchase another Chevy/GM vehicle again.

- Kevin H., Pittsburgh, US