Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

Feb 172014

HHR

The contact own a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the air bags erroneously deployed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who could not diagnose why the failure occurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000. Remailed 08/06/2014

- North Branford, CT, USA

Jul 012009

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the air bag system was malfunctioning. As a result, the air bag assembly needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 700 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- South Point , OH, USA

Jan 102014

HHR

2009 Chevy HHR, the air bag light come on and goes off multiple times a day. The passenger seat belt is locked up, I purchased the pos 3 months ago it has not had its first oil change yet. I have heard the wiring is a issue and its all built in Mexico which makes me sleep well. Obviously its a big issue but im sure we don't want to make a big deal of air bags failing at 60,000 miles, lots of online complaints on air bags, if something happens to me in this crap car its been addressed with the gov. Don't buy Hhrs there outsourced junk, matter of fact my 2003 2500hd is a crap pile too, with 90K on the clock, replaced almost everything electrical on it.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 012011

HHR

The contact owns 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on three separate occasions. The front passenger's seat inflater harness connectors were cleaned, taped and lubricated each time. The technician informed the contact that the air bags were inoperable whenever the warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 21,297.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Sep 032013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the air bag module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000. The VIN was not available.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 022011

HHR 4-cyl

With a chime the repair air bag safety light comes on. This has continued even though repaired twice by Chevy dealerships. First they repaired the roof rail connector. Next incident they replaced the passenger seatbelt. Two years later the light continues to come on and off (with preceding chime) on a daily basis.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Oct 282013

HHR

For no apparent reason the "service air bag" warning light comes on. Occurs while smoothly traveling at 60 mph on I-70. Cannot get light to go off or reset. Vehicle has never been hit, bumped or jolted. Web posts indicate this is a common HHR problem. GM needs or to make this right.

- Tecumseh, KS, USA

Aug 152013

HHR

I also have a 2009 HHR with 47000 miles and the service airbag light is coming on frequently. I plan to take it in to the dealer. This looks like a common problem and should be recalled.

- Ashland, WI, USA

Aug 042013

HHR 4-cyl

Driving and airbags just blew up and caused me to run into pole. Could not stop, and could not see because of airbags. Car was damaged beyond repaired. I was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. Injury was caused to legs, chest, stomach, back.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 012013

HHR 4-cyl

My airbag light came on and my passenger seatbelt keeps locking. There are numerous other HHR owners with the same problem.

- Randolph, NY, USA

May 182011

HHR 4-cyl

This is my 2nd HHR first was great this is horrible. First problem was my locking mechanism on drivers side would not work. After the third time in the dealership they changed out the lock mechanism. Then I started having problems with my window not rolling down and my dash light going out for a period of 2-3 seconds. They fixed the window but could never find out what was going on with the dash. Then my airbag service light started coming on I had to take in twice for this incident. My steering problem started when I took my son in to do his driving test and all of a sudden it became very difficult to turn. We parked the car gave it a few minutes and started driving again, did the test and on the way home it happened again. We have just had to many problems with this vehicle.

- Willis , TX, USA

Apr 292013

HHR

I was sitting with the car idle at home and the air bag light came on. I looked it up and it said that the air bag is more than likely defected due to an electrical issue. My concern is that the air bag could go off while I am driving or not go off in an accident.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 062013

HHR

I was in a car accident on 3/6/13. Before the accident I passed out due to a later found heart condition. I failed to negotiate a left turn due to passing out. I sheared off a street sign, went through a chain link fence, was airborne over a hill and dropped approximately 25 feet. My car was a total loss as determined by my insurance company. My driver side airbag did not deploy. I spoke with GM to file a claim and an investigator went to investigate my car and determined that the airbag should have not deployed. I asked for a copy of the report for my personal records. GM is telling me that they will not release it due to it being GM property. I would like to know how to proceed from here. If more detail and specific dates are needed please feel to request it. I have all of the names and dates as needed.

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

Jan 022013

HHR 4-cyl

The service air bag light comes on and goes off intermittently. Dealer ran diagnostic checks and stated "passenger side dash airbag connector needs to be replaced". this vehicle has never had an accident, has never had any work done under the dash or to the air bag restraint system.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 142013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that he applied the brakes and as the vehicle stopped, the roof-mounted air bag deployed inadvertently. The vehicle was not involved in any type of crash. As a result, the contact sustained injuries to her head and neck and was transported to the hospital for treatment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who notified the manufacturer, and advised that a representative would be sent to inspect the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 2/13/13 the consumer stated GM offered to buy the vehicle back, but by the time she pays off the loan, there would not be enough money to buy another vehicle. Updated 02/14/13

- Carbobdale, PA, USA

Oct 102012

HHR 4-cyl

The service airbag keeps coming on. The dealer said that I need a new airbag and they want me to pay for it. I feel that this is a manufacture default.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 012011

HHR 4-cyl

Air bag light turned on in the vehicle, but after a while it would turn off and then come back on again. The dealer repaired the problem and the light went away. Less than one year later when the car had 50000 mi the problem re-occurred. There appears to be a wiring issue with the airbags in this vehicle as there are many similar complaints from other owners.

- Reston, NJ, USA

Oct 092012

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving on 30 mph zone at 30 mph, when the service air bags came on my dashboard.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jul 012010

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the turn signal lights were inoperable and would not illuminate when engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the vehicle was operating as normal. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light illuminated and he was told by the dealer that the air bags would not function in the event of a crash until they were repaired. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred one year later. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 48,000. Updated 8/6/12 the consumer stated the air bag issue was resolved. However, the turn signals did not cancel in a timely manner after completing a turn. Updated 08/14/12

- North Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 152012

HHR 4-cyl

Without incident, the service airbag alert illuminated and has continued to stay on the majority of the time for the last 5 days. Momentarily, the alert light will turn off but re-illuminate again without incident. This is similar to the other posts and complaints I have read.

- Plainfield, IL, USA