Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

Mar 012019

Impala

One day I was driving my car home making a right turn and my engine started making noise and was acting as if it was going to cut off. So I parked my car called my mechanic he came over and looked at the car I said it could be a possible rocker arm that has gone in the car or I could have something to do with the check engine light coming on giving me a code for a cam positioning sensor / solenoid. Also when I purchase the car not too long after me driving I noticed there was some noise coming from my back tires. I couldn't figure it out for a while until one day I looked at my tires and noticed that on the inside there was a considerable amount of scraping going on wearing away my tread. It would always seem to happen when I got new tires on the car so I thought maybe the tires were too big for the car but I ordered what the manufactor suggested the tire size should be for the car. So I had a tire specialist look at it and an alignment specialist look at it and they told me that the suspension springs may be causing my issue. They said that I should not have to change the size of my tire for them to fit because the manufacturer specifications are correct and the tires were the right size for the car.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Nov 022015

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated and jerked forward. The contact took the vehicle to gregg young Chevrolet (17750 burt St, omaha, ne 68118, (402) 509-3028) twice, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. On one occasion, the contact's vehicle lurched forward and crashed into another vehicle that turned in front of the contact. The crash was a T-bone collision. A police report was filed. The contact and other driver were injured and transported to the hospital for medical attention. The vehicle was towed to huber Cadillac (11102 w Dodge rd, omaha, ne 68154, (402) 496-5400), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, coil, and fuel injector (twice); however, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 282019

Impala

Very bad knocking noise also electrical fire could've caught on fire

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 312019

Impala

Lights came on dash service throttle, reduced engine power. I was driving down the highway on 8/16/2018 going 55 when the car started to chatter and I struggled to pull over to the side of the road, I almost was rear ended because it was so sudden. I shut the car off and let it sit for a bit then it started and I went on. Today it did it and it still wont start after hours.

- West Liberty, IA, USA

Nov 122017

Impala

Vehicle hesitates throttle body causes car to jerk cut off not pick up speed always idled up speed sensor reads 107 mph when only going 30mph stalls. Almost was rear ended because car shut off in the middle of driving.I have my car regularly serviced and all of a sudden this started happening. My blendoor aculater cause my heat not to sometimes come on and it makes this loud clicking noise. Most if no all Impala have this problem and GM knows about all the things I told you about yet they dont wanna recall the vehicle

- Concord, NC, USA

Jan 242019

Impala

While I was driving, the car gave a notice of reduced engine power, then a few miles later, another notice came on service throttle disabling service. And the car shut off! with no warning, and no way to get to safety. If I wasn't in an area that had a shoulder I could get to quickly or if there was any traffic near me, I would be dead! this is incredibly unsafe and is going to get someone killed, if it hasnt already! that has to be some sort of flaw in the programing. If I would have been on the highway, which is where I normally am at that time of day, I would have had no time to react and get to a safe area before the car shut down on me. It also locked up the steering wheel and braking system so I had next to no power. It was incredibly scary. I am just glad that I was driving the car, instead of my elderly mother. She very well may have had a heart attack from the fear. In no way should a car just shut down mid-drive like that! I cant even begin to explain the amount of ways how badly that could go wrong, and this seems to be a common issue with Chevy vehicles and the throttle body. Even if the throttle body is going bad, in no way should your car be programed to just shut off mid-drive, ever. I really hope that is a programing flaw and not intentional, because if that is intentional, you are truly trying to kill people. What is it going to take for Chevy/GM to get the issue fixed" how many people getting killed in unnecessary accidents is it going to take" I pray that myself or my family isn't one of them! please Chevy/GM, get this issue fixed already.

- Hunlock Creek, PA, USA

May 152018

Impala

The contact called on behalf of the owner of a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. On several occasions, the vehicle failed to start and the reduced power warning indicator illuminated. Additionally, while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic and fault code: P-2135 was retrieved. The mechanic replaced the ECM, throttle body, accelerator pedal mechanism, and the wiring harness between the ECM and throttle body; however, the failure recurred. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Oolitic, IN, USA

Oct 052018

Impala

My vehicle experiences an ┐engine power is reduced┐ message in addition to losing capability of driving faster than 40 mph likely as a result of a common fault by the manufacturer.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 192018

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 60 mph, the reduced engine power and the service stability control indicators illuminated as the vehicle decelerated. Staten island Buick GMC (1855 hylan blvd, staten island, NY 10305) diagnosed that sensors T2135: (throttle body) and P2138: (accelerator pedal actuator) failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer offered to assist with the replacement of the throttle body, but not the accelerator pedal. The failure mileage was 59,502.

- Staen Island, NY, USA

Aug 022017

Impala

When my Impala is in motion within the minutes it states engine power reduced and it slows down the car. If I drive 60 mph or more when engine power is reduced then it says service shuttling down and the car will completely shut down it's a big safety hazard especially when I┐M on the freeway.

- Chaparral, NM, USA

Dec 282017

Impala

Leaking and can't identify if front engine cover oil is leaking, or engine oil filter adapter gasket, or head gasket oil leak. Help! I was having my oil changed.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 192017

Impala

First, the key will not come out of the ignition without pressing the release key switch located under the steering wheel. Then the car won't accelerate over 20 mph in D while driving anywhere, it won't go over 40 in D3. Not sure why but this is what is happening with the Impala.

- Hewitt, TX, USA

Aug 202017

Impala

Engime power reduced seevice tractuon control. While driving power is cut to near nothing. About 20 mph. After shutting the car off and starting a few hours later it's fine. A couple days later it happens again. Faulty equipment from GM.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 032017

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 40 mph, the engine reduced power indicator illuminated and the vehicle began to reduce in speed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle positioning sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was called and informed the contact that if a diagnostic fee was paid, the vehicle could be covered under a technical service bulletin. The contact stated that he did not have money for a diagnostic fee. The failure mileage was approximately 34,000.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Nov 152016

Impala

I was driving in traffic around 5:30pm cst on us 59 N and rankin rd Tuesday 11/15/16 when my vehicle lost engine power. I was unable to accelerate or steer and the only light that came on in the car was the service tire monitor system. I managed, somehow, to steer the vehicle to the left shoulder of the freeway and put it in park. I turned off the vehicle and when I went start it again, after releasing the key, it made a stuttering to start sound over and over again even though I was no longer touching the key. When I tried to start it again it turn on and then back off and continued to do this at least 3 more times. I eventually had it towed to my home and after reading online today at forums.edmonds.com many people have been having this issue with Impala's and Suburban's from GM for at least 4 years now, first post is back in 2012. GM needs to put a recall on these vehicles and fix the issue before it more fatalities, as proven in their earlier 2014-2015 recall. They just did a recall about a year ago for Impala's having an issue where the ignition switch would then switch into the off position while driving if you hit a bump too hard and had too much weight on your keys. I got my vehicle serviced for that recall issue but it seems like their fix for that was incorrect and not the issue seeing as my vehicle, and several others, still shuts down while driving and the ignition is still in the on (not off) position, you lose acceleration and steering. This is extremely dangerous and will cause more deaths, injuries, and accidents. Please get this to GM and have them correct this issue in all their models with sensor throttle body's instead of wired ones. They also need to fix the issue of door and A/C accuators in their models, as its been described to me as a common issue in GM models. This is a very unsafe issue for all drivers GM or not. More accidents will follow.

- New Caney, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Impala

Two different outcomes but stem from the same issue. While trying to start my vehicle I get a click and care won't start at all. Sometimes after several tries it does fire up. Also when it does start it will sometimes stall. Most recently while traveling didn't the interstate it stalled going 75mph leaving me to coast and disrupt 4 lanes of traffic.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 292016

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. As soon as the vehicle was started, the reduce engine power and service traction control warning indicators illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle for approximately 6 miles at 25 mph before the vehicle stalled. The engine powered off and the starter disabled warning indicators illuminated. The contact had to coast the vehicle to the side of the road to a complete stop. After a few minutes, the vehicle restarted and operated normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000. Updated 08/30/16

- Clairton, PA, USA

May 212016

Impala

Takata recall. It happen to me twice I got two kids the car lost power from 45 to ten. Engine light is on. The code thst comes up is P2138 this is not ok needs to get fixed. First time it happen I was on a highway the car behind me almost hit me due to the engine power loss.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Feb 282016

Impala

I got a jump after the engine light came on. Took it to get ichecked they say its my ECM. What is that and is it related to that electrical recall. I was in park

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012014

Impala

This vehicle has been recalled due to air bags, and in a year no one has been able to get the repairs done to the vehicle. But furthermore the car has several other mechanical issues that I am showing as a trend with Impala being that my sister and cousin have one also in different years, the car makes a ticking noise when the air or heat is turned on the passenger side delivers opposite temp as the driver so if air is on the passenger will deliver heat and vice versa. If the car goes over a speed bump the engine reduces power and service stabilitrak appears across the lighting as well as the car dropping out of gear if I go over any bump. This is very dangerous especially being that my children and I were in this car and it decided to do this on the interstate at night in 70 mph traffic. After doing research on the vehicle I am showing that I am not the only person with all of these problems listed, and it bothers me that none of these issues have been recalled just as the air bags were even though I think the recall, is just to save face because no one is actually doing the work to get them fixed. At first I thought these things were just mechanical problems with age of car but after research these are issues that are in cars made in this time frame and warrants a recall for the safety of consumers.

- Pensacola, FL, USA