Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

May 152014

Impala 6-cyl

I have noticed a sort of jerking or chugging feeling while traveling at different speeds and different environments, such as highway and city. The problem does seem to be worsening. The service technician at the dealership referred to this as a "fishbite". I did not seem to really notice the problem until repair was made to the manifold and crank case gaskets, due to a severe oil leak. The dealership did look into my concern for the "fishbite", but a code was not found and they were unable to duplicate the problem. Is this a precursor to the other complaints involving loss of power while driving?

- Warren, MI, USA

Jun 302014

Impala 6-cyl

Accelerator pedal position sensor app went out. After checking with several car service departments they said I should report this. Lots of people with this same car our having this problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 302014

Impala 6-cyl

One day before I was to take a vacation from Missouri to Texas, my check engine light came on. My mechanic told me the code had something to do with a fuel canister, but it shouldn't pose a problem. As I was driving 75 mph on the highway inside the Texas state line, after 7 hours of driving, mostly in rain all day, the car started doing a jerking type action & then my traction control light came on, w/a warning msg saying, "service traction control; engine power reduced." Going 75 mph I lost all control! no lights, no A/C (which is a separate, loud, clicking issue I could address), no power steering, no power brakes! I had all I could do to just point my car to the side of the road & coast to a stop, in the middle of nowhere w/out a service station in sight! I tried 3X to restart the vehicle to no avail. As I sat there in bewilderment & fright of what just happened, I contemplated what to do. After about 5 minutes, I decided to try & start it 1 more time. This time, it started up. However, the check engine light & the service airbag light (again, another issue I've had with the vehicle since the day I purchased it) were still lit up but the traction control light & the warning messages had gone off. I continued to my destination & the following day (Saturday) I took the vehicle to the local GM dealership where they proceeded to do a diagnostic test &, of course, "could not replicate the problem, " therefore they could not "find anything wrong." They gladly depleted my vacation expenses of $100 & sent me on my way with a reassurance that "if it happens again while you're here, come back by & we will test it again but we won't charge you for it." How nice of them. :{ GM seems to enjoy doing that. And the NHTSA doesn't seem to want to take the initiative to investigate this prevalent problem w/these cars. If something bad happens, I'll sue the pants off of them.

- Cape Fair, MO, USA

Jun 172014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and suddenly lost speed and the engine light came on and also a couple of messages. "reduce engine power" and "service traction control". I have encounter a lot of Impala owners with the same problem, which leads me to believe is a manufactures mistake.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 142014

Impala 6-cyl

I am complaining about an incident that happened to me on Saturday, June 14th 2014. I was driving about 70 mph (I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala) when my check engine light came on. Not long after that did I notice that my engine had shut off and my power steering had went out. Come to find out today (6/17/2014), GM had an ignition recall. Since the same exact description happened to my vehicle I thought for sure that it was under the recall. I tried to call my local dealer to get it resolved, and shockingly my car did not have a recall under it. I tried to call GM directly and tell them what happened to me, but they said that they could not help me being that my car was not under the recall. My concern is that GM is not taking full responsibility for all of these incidents. Its just not right, its not good business on their behalf, and its not ethical. If any of my driving conditions had been different, I could have been involved in a lethal accident. Not only does it pose a threat to myself, but if I had other passengers in my vehicle and also other drivers on the road. Something has to be done about this and GM needs to take full responsibility for the faults that they produced.

- Rantoul, IL, USA

Jan 182013

Impala 6-cyl

I was on highway one evening and my cruise control was engaged. My power went out completely on the car. I immediately noticed that the car shut down and I was able to coast to the side of the highway. After gathering my bearings, I was able to turn the car back on and drive off the freeway. It was determined that my oil was low (no warning light). Prior to this incident, I was going down hill on a local street when my warning system came on and indicated that I had reduced engine power and traction stability control issues. After going to the dealer, it was determined that my oil was extremely low, however no leaks or cause was ever found. Prior to this, I had to get my accelerator sensor replaced because the reduced engine power warning came on. It was not covered under warranty and I had to pay several hundred dollars to 'fix' the issue. As recently as yesterday, June 16, 2014, I turned my car on and the reduced engine power and traction control warning came on. I immediately turned the car off and checked the oil. It was low but no warning light to indicate this issue came on (same as in the past). I faithfully get my oil changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever is first. My oil life was at 54% yesterday and I did take it in for an oil change this morning. It is obvious based on others experiences, that this is a known issue amongst 2009 Impala owners. The fact that I did not receive a warning when I was on a major highway and my car shut off while still in motion, is extremely scary and it traumatized my son tremendously. I am hoping that some type of investigation will be initiated because it could result in serious injuries or even death.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Jun 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the traction control, emissions and engine lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic.the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Green Springs, OH, USA

Jun 102014

Impala 6-cyl

I was accelerating to merge left into a highway. Weather was dry and hot. Traction control light came on along with engine light car shows message: "service traction control", "engine power reduced". car takes longer to accelerate. After I turned off the car and turn it on, traction control light disappeared. Engine light remains on.

- Denton, TX, USA

May 132014

Impala 6-cyl

I was accelerating and turning left at the same time after a stop sign into a 40 mph road. Weather was hot and dry. Traction control and engine light came on immediately. Car shows message: Service traction control, engine power reduced.

- Denton, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, service traction control will come on along with the engine light, and they flicker on and off, and cause the car to jerk, the locks to relock, my fuel gauge to go out of place, and sometimes cause the car to turn off. I have taken my car to an actual Chevrolet dealership, but they stated that there was nothing wrong with the car because they tried and no problems were diagnosed when they used the scan tool. I don't know what to do. Some people say that it may have something to do with my transmission; others say that it is something electrical; while others say that a wire is not connecting or is touching something. One dealer stated that this is happen in all 2007-2012 Impala once they hit a certain miles.

- Irving , TX, USA

May 202014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving under normal conditions the vehicle speed suddenly and without warning loss of vehicle forward motion, dropping to approx 25 mph. "engine power reduced" and traction service light came on. This has happened repeatedly causing a traffic danger problem. Returned to dealer a number of tmes. Problem continues, suddenly and without warning loss of power on roadway. Extraemly dangerous in the heavy traffic conditions of sudden inexplicable loss of vehicle forward motion. Have to put on safety flashersand move to far right of roadway area..

- Vineland, NJ, USA

May 282014

Impala 6-cyl

We own the car listed above and have for over two years. We bought it at a dealership in East Tennessee. The car was previously used as a rent a car for enterprise. Not even a year after we bought the vehicle we had to replace the transmission. The biggest problem is the fact I have drove this car and all issues stated for a recall we have had a problem with. The most recent is the vehicle shutting off while driving it on highways. It's is saying service engine light mad than will say service traction control, than it will shutoff I been going 70 down an interstate and it shutoff mad about kill us. We had the vehicle checked and the accelerator pedal sensor or something like that is the problem by what technician say. I am just now starting to research the issues we have and found numerous recalls on this vehicle in which we have the problems listed above and more. Mainly the airbag steering control arm and vehicle just shutting off. I guess the best way to sum it up is they sold us a lemon perhaps but after looking at the recall list our vehicle meets the requirements for sure. Too many problems for a new vehicle. Just looking to take care of the problem before the car injures us or someone else on the highways. Hope this doesn't take long to get resolved because deaths could occur. Thanks for your time hope to speak with someone soon before it's too late. I mean I thought something major was wrong but the automd website really assured what we been thinking. Thanks for your time.

- Wartburg, TN, USA

May 232014

Impala

After purchasing this "one owner driven by "betty white" car on March 27, 2014 we have fallen in love with the car.supposedly purchased from the dealer were the original owner traded it in.with only approx. 34,800 miles....so much so we purchased another one...a 2014 (not new body style). I'm driving home from work at about 6:45am on a normal sunny morning in a residential neighborhood when all of a sudden I get an alert stating "reduced engine power/service traction control alert...the call lost most power and was shifting strangely...I have done some internet research and this seems to be a common problem with GM cars between 2008- and 2011...we have only made one payment on this vehicle and are currently trying to contact the dealer and waiting on a return call.......the same problem happened again last night and he barely made it to work....sometimes when this alert is not on the engine light is on...sometimes no lights at all...but this is potentially a very dangerous situation especially if traveling at a high rate of speed on expressway or something...if GM is aware of this problem...which they appear to be based on my research, there should be a bulletin or a recall available to fix said problem....I hope we do not have to pursue any further action against GM and that the dealer will make this right...this car is like brand new!!

- Grove City, OH, USA

May 102014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while traveling 65 mph, the engine light illuminated and the engine seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 150,220. The VIN was not provided.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

May 082014

Impala 6-cyl

It's apparently the standard Impala issue of the car's dash reading engine power reduced. The car has less than 100,000 miles and my I was driving home from work in rush hour when the dash read engine power reduced. I immediately phoned my husband. He insisted that I get in the right lane and be prepared for the car to die. My husband then mistakenly told me to drive to a specific exit out of the inner city before exiting the highway. Next the check stability message came on. He was like ok that's weird but lets get you home. Then the car decided to lose power brakes and steering. My hands are literally blistered getting it off the road. I guided it of the highway as he looked up the issue. Finding hundreds of these same accounts he told me to hold on a bit and restart the car. It worked and I drove it home. Had my husband not insisted I move over and be prepared this could have been a very different issue.

- Berea, OH, USA

May 042014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power as the reduced engine and the service traction stability system warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 8,337.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

Jun 142010

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at approximately 70mph, my check engine light came on. About 5 seconds later, my service traction control came on. As I kept driving, I lost power to my engine. Finally, my engine was disabled and I couldn't drive anymore. Luckily, I was able to pull over. After 5 minutes, I was able to start up my car. I replaced the throttle body, but my car still keeps doing this. This is very unsafe. GM needs to recall its cars.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving home on the freeway at about 70 mph and the service engine light went on with it saying "reduced engine power" on display. About 10 seconds later I could not accelerate, the car began to start slowing down and I lost ability to maneuver the steering easily as the steering wheel locked up. I was able to pull off on the side of the freeway and I had to turn the car off and wait about 10 minutes for the problem to clear up.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction control comes up and reduce engine power. Never had any prior issues with my vehicle until now. Just got it back from the dealership today and having to take it back tomorrow because the same thing occurred again. I need this issue resolved and am not the only on that has had this issue. I need my vehicle fixed and do not feel that I should have to pay for a manufacturing issue.

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Oct 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I have had numerous problems with my 2009 Impala. From the very beginning with only 100+ miles on it and the problems continue today. The dash will say reduced engine power and as I was going down the road at 55 miles an hour my car just shut off. I was able to get it to the side of the road and just sat there wondering what was going on. It wouldn't do anything, it was just completely off. I was about to call for aaa and tried one more time and it started. This happened again in November of 2013 as well and I was going 45 on a country rd. Again I was able to pull to the side and sat there and waited again. When this happens the car will do nothing. I have problems with my traction control, making a strange grinding type noise and bogs the car down from moving when I am trying to accelerate from a stop or trying to turn either left or right. I have had problems with my air bag lights coming on and telling me to service my air bags. It comes on and goes off and comes on and goes off. The dash light will come on and tell me to shut engine off now for low oil pressure, this has happened for 4 years, the car is 5 years old. This car was never a good car from the very day it came off the lot.

- New Castle, PA, USA