Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Apr 242013

Impala 6-cyl

While merging onto a two lane highway my Impala suddenly lost power and I received a "low engine power" warning and then " service traction control" the check engine light comes on and the car runs roughly at reduced power - you need to pull over and shut the car off until you can start it again. This is a very dangerous issue that GM refuses to acknowledge. In this instance I had my daughter in the car - I also lost the power brakes. I have been to two Chevrolet dealers and a Buick dealer because this has happened several times over the past year and a half. They replaced my throttle body, oil sensor, battery and something else and charged me over $2000 for the three visits and I am still experiencing the issue. I have also been to a local repair shop and had the wiring harness changed and had several diagnostics done. After all this the problem still exists. I normally don't write letters but, this is a very dangerous situation and many others are experiencing the same thing based on the message boards I have read. My concern is that GM refused to help or issue a recall. My fear is that someone gets seriously hurt or killed before GM answers for this. This is not good for GM. My hope is that someone finally addresses this issue before someone is killed. In my last communication with GM - I was told to take my car to a dealer for a diagnostic at my own expense. So, basically I am on my own and they offered to do nothing. Just not right!

- Scituate, MA, USA

May 192013

Impala

About 2 months ago I was on the interstate & I received the message 'service stabilitrak, engine power reduced '. I was using cruise control at about 75 which immediately cut off, the cars speed dropped quite a bit, I stopped for fuel, turned the car back on & the error was gone. Just a few days ago the same issue happened, I was only going about 40 this time, the message flashed & my cars power immediately began to drop. I could feel the cars hesitation when I attempted to accelerate & then it jolted a few times & cruised fine. The issue seems to be a sensor in the pedal which is common with this car. The fact that my engines power can cut at anytime, including in the middle of highway traffic is a scary thought.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 262013

Impala 6-cyl

I recently purchased a Chevrolet Impala ltz 2009 model a few months ago and it has 82,000 on it. While driving on the highway my check engine light came on. It said that I had a bad accelerator sensor. Followed by a flashing light that said my car had reduced engine speed. I have looked up many times about this issue with my car and many other people have had problems with a bad gas pedal. GM knows and I'm confused as to why they never asked for a recall on this.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

May 192013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when the check engine warning indicator illuminated continuously as there was a sudden reduction in engine power. The contact was able to continue driving. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 062013

Impala 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago my service traction control light appeared on the dash. Being the person that I am I was very concerned with this issue and took it to have it checked by the dealership. They told me that this will occasionally come on with the amount of rain we had in our area.they said when it has the opportunity to dry out it will go off. Well to date it has not gone off but stays on the majority of the time. Now it is having fun with the reduce power light which basically slows down the car. Not only are the flip flopping but when I push the brakes it sometimes acts as if it will catch but then let go and catch again. How scary is this when you feel your brakes will not stop the car" this is not a good feeling. Called the dealership to get an appointment and it will cost me $85 to $100 to have this put on a machine to see what the problem is. And get this just like everyone else this is not a covered problem. My question is why" I have tried very hard to stick with Chevrolet products but this is really making me rethink my decision. Everyone seems to be having the same issues with these alerts and sensors. I am not one to sink a whole lot of money into a car with repairs, I will get rid of it immediately. I maintain my car on a regular basis.

- Conway, SC, USA

Apr 252013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving. Apprx 30-45mph. Random service light appeared showed as "reduced power engine" vehicle then automatically slowed down. Turns off without notice. Un-safe. Over 1500 reviews same situation same vehicle.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 302013

Impala 8-cyl

My Chevrolet Impala reduces the power of the engine down to 20 mph or less and indicates check traction control and reduced engine power. I was almost rear ended because of this and had to pull off the freeway to avoid further potential collisions.

- Discovery Bay, CA, USA

Apr 192013

Impala

The vehicle suddenly decelerated and displayed messages: "reduced engine power" and "service traction control". this was the second incident. The first incident resulted in the engine shutting off completely after the same initial symptoms described; locking up the steering during rush hour traffic (estimated 65 mph, no injures, approx. 4 month ago). Our mechanic cleaned out the throttle body sensor after the first incident, and phoned the dealership with the trouble codes. The dealership refused warranty service as the trouble codes had gone by the time the car had arrived at their shop, and would not take our mechanic's phone conversation as evidence. We were informed that the three services commonly performed to fix the problem were to replace the throttle body, throttle body sensor, and accelerator pedal; the latter not covered under warranty.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 072013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the traction control and check engine warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer. The failure and current mileage was 62,000. Updated 06/17/13

- Walton, NY, USA

Apr 072013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the hwy when the message appear on the boar "engine power reduce " I was scared because I have never had that problem. I when online and saw that people were having the same problem. It was weird because they all seen to be in the same month like if it was program to happen. So I want an explanation on what's going on with my car" what's the message about? do I have to change the motor " I just don't know what to do anymore this car has a lot of problem I just want some answers. Thanks for reading.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 062012

Service traction engine power reduce. ## VIN failed ##

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 212013

Impala 6-cyl

Turned car on and the check engine light came on. Took to mechanic who said it was the air injection solenoid valve and that it is such a common part replacement on these models that they keep the exact part in stock! they want over $400 to repair.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Aug 092011

Impala

Reduced engine power light/ servicetraction control light flash across my dashboard every morning when I drive my car. The car slows down and will not gain speed. It does this every morning. This issue need to be a recall. This problem is happening to every Chevy Impala owners I know.

- Albany, GA, USA

Mar 162013

- Independence, MO, USA

Mar 152013

Impala

Driving on freeway, check engine light come pn...few miles on freeway car jerk...message on dash engine power loss then throttle body disabled the engine shuts off while im driving 60 mph...18 wheeler blind me so I swerve off freeway due to steering wheel hard to turn...I sit on side of freeway F 10 minutes...turn key and no sound. Car will not start...call friend for help. After 30 minutes car starts I could have been killed with car shutting down on freeway...GM fix issues. Or pay big later..death trap.

- New Waverly, TX, USA

Oct 062012

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate all of a sudden I feel the vehicle slow down and the message center displays "traction control off" "engine power reduced". I was traveling about 65mph at the time however to maintain that speed after this happened I had to press the gas pedal further. The stabilitrak light stayed on for a days also.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 122013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala lt & was driving aproximately 50mph down the road when all of a sudden the "service traction control message came on, the check engine light came on & engine power will be reduced message came on". the cars speed dropped down to about 40mph & would hardly go. I didn't know what was going on. It really scared me because I thought my car was going to cut off. I did get to work safely but I am terrified to drive this car. I searched message boards on the internet & came across 297 messages from other people who own GM vehicles that this has happened to. A couple of people said their cars actually cut off on them while going down the highway at a high rate of speed. One was involved in an accident. The problem from what I have read has something to do with the accelerator pedal position sensor or throttle body. From what I have read GM knows about this problem but has not done a recall on this. A couple of people posted that their local Chevy dealership covered the repair even though their cars were no longer under warranty. I called my local Chevy dealership and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it. They said that I would have to pay for repairs myself. To me, this is unacceptable. I could have a wreck & get killed or kill someone else. I don't understand why a company would clearly know about a problem with their vehicles and do nothing about it. I think that GM should cover the repairs to my vehicle and to any others that are having this problem.

- East Bend, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala that I purchased in 2010. Several months later, the car began to read check engine, service traction control, reduced engine power, then stalls and jerks while I'm driving. It happens intermittently. I took it to autozone to have them check the computer code. They said it was the accelerator pedal position sensor. The car only has about 50,000 miles on it. I am planning O taking it to the dealership because it is happening more often and I am afraid that I will have an accident as a result of this problem.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 072012

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the engine stalled with the illumination of the check engine and traction control warning indicators. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed as normal. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Burligane, KS, USA

Sep 192012

Impala

Purchased vehicle on 9/6/2012 used with 27,479 miles. On 9/19/2012 with 27,960 miles, I was accelerating on an onramp getting on a highway and two messages appeared on my dash: "reduced engine power" and "service traction control as well as the check engine light. Experience rough and hesitant shifting between gears and could not go faster than 35mph. Was able to safely navigate home on side roads. I took it to the dealer I purchased it from for service and was told it was reading code P2138 and the throttle pedal assembly needed to be replaced. The service was covered under the dealer's warranty and I was set to go. Flash forward to 10/24/2012 with 29,355 miles, I was driving on a side road and the same messages came up. I called on star and they performed a diagnostic which resulted in the computer reading codes P2138 and C0242. Experienced out of control wheel spinning and sensitive braking. Took it to a dealer in the area I was currently in traveling for business and they could not diagnose with any issue. All codes and lights were not engaged. I still did not feel safe driving my vehicle due to problem with accelerator and had towed to the purchasing dealer near my home. They also could not diagnose with any issue as they could not duplicate the error. This is a serious safety concern and a problem (especially on the highway) with a popular model. I have also filed a complaint with GM on this issue and am hoping to have it resolved immediately.

- Portland, ME, USA