Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Oct 012012

Impala 6-cyl

While traveling on the expressway a check traction system warning appeared along with reduced engine power. After approx. 10 miles the engine shut down and I was forced to pull off to the side of the road. I shut the engine off and attempted to restart and the starter would not engage. After waiting approx. 3 minutes I was able to start the car and warning system was gone however the check engine light remained.

- Mt Pleasant, MI, USA

Sep 242012

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving to golf on Monday September 24th, on interstate I-80 heading West, my 2009 Chevy Impala onboard computer stated the following, service traction control, reduced power, starter disabled and the check engine light all at roughly the same time. My car completely died and I had no power steering. Luckily I was able to coast out of harms way and get to the side of the road. I checked some wires under the hood and didn't find anything loose. When I attempted to start the car back-up, the onboard computer flashed, starter disabled. I sat with the car for about 15 minutes and tried once more. This time it started and ran normal, but the check engine like was on(still is). How scary is this really? enough to make me hate driving this car anywhere. Not to mention I'm a single dad of 4, who needs to get to work, school and many other things.

- Bennington, NE, USA

Sep 222012

Impala 6-cyl

While traveling on I-95 at about 75mph, the following message appeared on the dash, " repair traction control system... engine power is reducing". thankfully, I was approaching a rest area, so I safely coasted to a secure area. After escaping a potentially fatal accident, I researched this traction control message, only to discover innumerable customers had the same problem. This issue should be investigated since it is a universal problem, one that is endangering the lives of GM and other drivers on the highway.

- Hamptonc, SC, USA

Nov 072011

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving to work on the freeway then I noticed that my car's RPM started bouncing up and down from two and a half to two and back and forth and then my check engine light turns on and says engine power is reduced and as well as the service traction light turns on. I see that I have to press on the gas pedal a lot more further down for my car to stay at 60 mph and after 2 minutes of this my car's RPM drops to 0. my car turns off with the car reading starter disabled and service throttle. I had to pull to the shoulder. This incident had made me late for work and this incident happens a lot now. This can happen from once every two or three weeks to twice a week. Just recently my car's seat belts will become undone without anyone clicking the button for it to release. Also recently my service airbags light has came on.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 232012

Impala

After braking to make a turn, the following warnings came on: Reduced engine power, service stabilatrak, and traction control off. Plus the engine warning light came on. Fortunately no accident occurred from this and I did experience reduction in engine power. These warnings remained on from the onset until this morning, 06/25/12, when I checked it again. Now the warnings are not there. I started the car and moved it to see if they would come back on and so far, nothing. I have read that there have been numerous complaints of this problem with GM vehicles particularly this model. I want to add our vehicle to the complaint list due to the uncertainty of dependability of the car and the potential for serious problem and potential for accident.. I hope that with enough complaints, a recall will be issued by GM.

- Saint Clair, MO, USA