Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Apr 162019

Impala

While driving on roads and interstates, I frequently receive a dash notification "engine power reduced" and my service traction control and check engine light comes on. When this happens, my vehicle loses speed and cannot accelerate above 40mph - dangerous, especially on an interstate. The notification lights and symptoms occasionally go away after turning the engine off and on, only to come back later. I cannot find and answer to this problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 182018

Impala

Lately, I have been having issues with the acceleration of my vehicle. Every so often, my engine light comes on and I get a "engine reduced" notification, and my vehicle slows down. Whenever I reach 40mph, my hp meter drops and my car starts shaking. There has even been a time when my car would completely shut off and display "ignition disabled". each time this has happened, the vehicle was moving on a highway. I went to a shop to get the error codes and I will upload them.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 202017

Impala

Issues with the airbag and light the blinkers shorted out, the car kept dying and the key got stuck in the ignition in a parking lot. The gear shifter was getting stuck in different gears been undrivable since the beginning of August 2018 didn't know about the recalls till August but the recalls are in 2016 and 2014

- Flint, MI, USA

Aug 012018

Impala

I started my car and the check engine light and service traction control lights both came on. I got on the highway and tried to accelerate to merge into the lane and my car would not accelerate and the steering wheel locked. Luckily I was able to get into the emergency lane before my car shut off, but I was very close to being blasted by an oncoming semi truck. This could┐ve been fatal to me if I had not gotten over in time.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jun 012017

Impala

"takata recall " everytime I drive my vehicle 5 seconds the car jerks makes loud sound, starts beeping, messages appear flashing back and forth engine power reduced, service traction control, car slows down, car jerks and chugs, makes loud sound, beeping noise from message board, throttle something appears, steering wheel locks, car stops, can't steer car out of road, won't crank, my car sits in the road.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 142018

Impala

I was driving alone on the highway and noticed that the rmp gauges was going up and down, then suddenly a message on the dash read, service traction control, then a few seconds later another message read, engine power reduced and the car would not pick up any speed. This was very scary and confusing because the next day I had no isses but has now it did the same thing today. Please help.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 232018

Impala

As I go down the road the engine light comes on and the stabletrek waring trackion light also comes on light and power reduce engine power light comes on but not all the time it goes off after a day or so and than no one can fine the problem.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Jan 122018

Impala

What has to happen before something is done about this problem ? traction control light and reduce engine power light comes on going down the interstate and the car shuts down and you have to try and get car pulled over to the side of the road without hitting someone or getting hit. This is a very common problem with this vehicle and nothing is being done about it. I would really like a response on this problem. This happens a lot so your date you want incident happening is really not right.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Sep 012017

Impala

Car hesitates on acceleration from a stop. Rpms go up but car goes very slow, like if it has lost a lot of power. Once it stops hesitating it bangs into gear and speeds forward. It can possibly cause a crash if driver is not aware its hesitating.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Dec 132017

Impala

TL- contact owns a 2009 Chevy Impala lt... transmission shut off while driving down main road... transmission started having problems back in June of 2017. Transmission reduced power and shut off completely...contact was on main road when vehicle shut off vehicle shut off after a second time of the beltway.......vehicle started back up after thirty minutes.... TR..... received tk holdings notice traction control system light comes on.... contact called Chevy and airbags were replaced already.... 0 recalls associated with this VIN

- Ruffin, SC, USA

Nov 172017

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While operating the vehicle, the ABS sensor suddenly illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate normally. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer and local dealer were not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 124,500.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 202017

Reduced engine power

- Kingwood, TX, USA

May 082017

Impala

The contact's boyfriend owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. On several occasions, while the contact was driving her boyfriend's vehicle at normal speeds, the vehicle independently slowed down. The contact pulled over to restart the vehicle. While the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated rapidly and the traction control indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

May 082017

Impala

After starting my car and pressing on the accelerator car starts to jerk lights flicker and the message service traction control. The car will sometimes lose power. And does this while driving and will not accererate. I have changed the accerator petal positioning sensor as well as the battery. I do not feel safe driving this care whatsoever. And I've seen that many other Impala have had this issues. This has happened many times. I should not have to pay for repairs when this is clearly a manufacturer issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 182017

Impala

While accelerating the traction control kicks in and cannot accelerate. This has happened while backing up, driving straight, and turning. It has mainly been happening while driving in the city. When I push the gas pedal the car doesn't move. I have almost been hit by other vehicles while stuck.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Feb 202017

Impala

The traction control light is on, the cruise control does not work and the brake lights are on all the time.

- Starbuck, MN, USA

Dec 242016

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 25 mph and approaching an intersection the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a solder connection in the accelerator position sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 02/21/17

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Dec 242016

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the accelerator pedal fractured being detached from the floorboard. The contact was able to come to a complete stop and activate the hazard lights. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, however the vehicle was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Montross, VA, USA

Sep 272016

Impala

The airbag light comes on intermittently. Was in a collision and the airbag did not deploy. The car was repaired but airbag light still comes on. Also the horn does not work when I press on the steering wheel. The cruise control does not work either. The lights on the cruise control buttons do not light up.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Oct 262016

Impala

Traction control service reduced engine speed and check engine light appeared on dash while I was driving. I had been driving less than 5 minute at speed limit of 40 mph. I looked this up online.there were many complaints by people having this dame issue. There were people saying their lives were endangered.they were driving and their engine just shut off.this many people having issues with 2009 Impala.this is obviously a defect by the manufacturer. I feel unsafe driving this car. And friends are telling me that Ford cares about the safety of people an takes care of their customers. I am hoping Chevrolet will prove that customers safety is number one priority. And does a recall on this issue asap.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA