5.7

Mar 042009

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 35 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle and was unable to shift gears. She was unable to stop the vehicle and shift into park. She drove to the dealer and they assisted her in placing the vehicle into park and shutting it off. There were no warnings prior to the failure. While at the dealer, a technician determined that the shift lever assembly failed. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $206. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 22,378 and current mileage was 22,382. Updated 03-30-09 updated 03/31/09. Updated 11/22/11 the consumer stated the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The dealer stated the steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. Updated 03/05/12

- Woburn, MA, USA

Jul 102008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While backing out of the driveway at 5 mph, the vehicle swerved to the left when the contact attempted to swerve right. The vehicle was difficult to turn and unable to be moved to the left. The power steering did not work when turned to the right, and the steering wheel was very loose when it was turned to the left. The failure has occurred twice. She took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed that the steering column needed to be replaced. There is no recall for the failure; however, she found numerous complaints and one possible investigation. The contact feels that a four year old vehicle should not be experiencing these types of failures. The current and failure mileages were 74,404. Update 09/10/08 the consumer stated the power steering failed 3 times. The dealer replaced the steering column. Updated 09/16/08.

- Richlands, VA, USA

Oct 242007

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the car icon light would illuminate intermittently on the dashboard. On one occasion, the vehicle experienced loss of power steering. The dealer replaced the steering column. The current mileage was 56,011 and failure mileage was 53,300. Updated 04/08/08.

- Castile, NY, USA

Jul 102004

Malibu 6-cyl

Bought 6 cylinder 2004 Malibu with 2000 miles from dealer. Within two months, steering failed. Steering column was replaced. Since then steering column has been replaced a total of four times for continued "clunking" noise in front steering area. Last time car was still in warranty. Car now has 62,000 miles and continues to clunk just as when new and as each column was replaced.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jul 152007

Malibu

In September 2005 I took the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu to the dealer to check a problem in the steering column. The dealership fixed the problem and the manager as much as admitted that there was something defective in the steering column of that particular vehicle. I paid for the repairs, but I immediately called General Motors, and told some one there that I didn't think it was right to be charged for a repair on something in the vehicle that was known to be defective. That office then called the dealership and spoke to the manager and they reimbursed me for the repair. Well, now the steering was acting up again. This time the vehicle pulled strongly to the left when being driven. It also made a strange noise when turning the wheel, similar to the one it made previously when repairs had to be done. I had the vehicle checked several times, and have been told that they could not find anything wrong. Tomorrow I am going to ask them to check into the actual steering mechanism to see if that was where the problem was coming from. If I am right I would like to know if I will be able to get the manufacturer of this vehicle to approve of paying for the repair.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 102005

Malibu 6-cyl

There was a cluncking sound every time I turn the wheel to the left or the right. I took the car to the dealer on two occasions for repair, and they replaced the steering column both times, the car still cluncked..the dealer said the cluncking sound was okay and not to bring it back.the right wheel bearing was replaced, and now the gas gauge did not work. Also, I was told when the gas gauge failed it wa S an early warning that the fuel pump will soon need to be replaced.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Oct 102005

Malibu 6-cyl

There wa sa cluncking sound every time I turned the wheel to the left or the right. I sent the car to the dealer on two occasions for repairs, and they replaced the steering column both times, the car still cluncked..the dealer said the cluncking sound was okay and not to bring it back.the right wheel bearing was replaced, and now the gas gaug efailed. 1 was told when the gas gauge failure was an early warning that the fuel pump will soon need to be replaced.

- Hiltin, NY, USA

Jul 192006

Malibu 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving on the freeway, the steering column locked up. The 2004 Chevrolet was the first year manufactured with a electric steering column. In April 2005, the steering column was making a noise and was tight resulting in difficult steering for sharp turns. To correct the problem, the dealer replaced the steering column. In July 2006, there was a second failure to the steering column, it locked up.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

May 252006

Malibu 4-cyl

In two occasions I experienced a complete loss of steering.the car a Chevrolet model Malibu year 2004 was transported to a Chevrolet dealer(norwood Chevrolet) in warwick ri. The mechanic diagnosed a steering column shift-torque sensor failure.GM admitted that they had an internal recall. The steering column was replaced as per GM customer relation manager.the bill was $610.48 dollars.theynever refund me because the new manager stated that the recall was lifted.please evaluate and advise me what to do. Thank you.

- Warwick, RI, USA

May 112004

Malibu 6-cyl

Defective steering column shaft, took it in April 4 2006 for the third time General Motors doesn't have the part to fix it. Its on a nationwide backorder. I'm stuck driving a car that has a defective steering column.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 112006

Malibu 6-cyl Diesel

: the contact stated while driving 30 mph the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle has been to the dealership twice for repairs, but the problem reoccurs. The dealership and manufacturer were notified however, no additional repairs have been made.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Sep 192004

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel shakes all by itself and was replaced by dealer. Now there is a clunking noise when turning the wheel. Front rotors warped, replaced by dealer, now warped again. Front axle seal leaking on exhaust, replaced by dealer, now leaking again causing a foul oil burning smell in the car.

- Stewartsville, NJ, USA

Oct 172005

Malibu 6-cyl

Dt contact stated the steering wheel would move by itself. The contact would try to turn the steering wheel and the steering wheel would turn in the opposite direction this happened on May 15, 2004, and the dealer replaced the steering column. On October 17, 2005.,the same thing happened again and the vehicle was going into the local dealer today. There was no prior warning. This happened on dry road conditions. Also on September 1, 2005 the gas light kept coming on., took the vehicle to the dealer, and they said there was a crack in the exhaust system. The dealer replaced the exhaust system. Now, the light is back on, and the dealer is going to check that too. Updated 11/16/2005 -

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 082005

Malibu 6-cyl

I purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu ls in April of 2004. Since that time there have been many safety issues with this vehicle. The first of the issues was the brakes locking up while driving the vehicle. The dealership repaired this under a recall along with some seat belt and air bag related recalls. The vehicle has also never steered correctly and the electronic steering column has been replaced three times. I currently have around 33,000 miles on the car now and the steering has failed again. I will have it towed to the dealership this week to see if they can ever repair the steering issues. There were also issues of the key getting stuck in the ignition and the shifter moving out of the park position without any keys in the ignition. I also sued GM for $6,500 - according to the attorney GM would not buy back the vehicle. In my opinion this vehicle is not safe at all. I am afraid to drive it.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Oct 282004

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel quivers when stopped, check steering displayed, power steering went out (1st time service 10/28/04) thump noise when turning (2nd time service 08/29/05) both service orders state replace failed steering column. Vehicle is making the same thump noise again so it will be taken in for 3rd time service.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 202003

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving the steering column shut down on me while driving, the second time the steering column was jerking and the third time I could hear clunking noise coming from the vehicle.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

May 042005

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy mailbu ls and it has been about a month ago I was driving and w/out any notice the power steering column broke. And on today I tried to retrive a report on-line to find out if this car has giving anyone else a problem and it sure has. About a couple months before I purchase it had been in the dealership getting service. I no that it this is not very safe because I almost got rear ended and I had to turn so deep because the power steering went out right on the spot that I could have got hit from the front as well. There was no accident but who knows the next time so I will like it to be noted that this is a serious problem

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 182004

Malibu 6-cyl

The car cut off while I was driving and in heavy traffic more than once. There was no warning that this would happen. The car was serviced before for this problem but it continued to happen. I have had 3 recalls, the horn fuse has been replaced twice, and the blinker is currently out. The steering collar has also been replaced. This car was supposed to be a new car.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 102004

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu ls, it is not yet 18 months old and I have to bring it in for the 2nd steering column replacement this Monday. I have done some research and have found out that hundreds of people have had similar/worse problems with sterring. Some examples include complete loss of steering, loss of power steering, a loud thudding sound when turning th wheel during right turns (this is what my car has been doing), I had my 2nd steering column put in my car in Nov 04, when my car was 10 months old, I now am having the same problem/sound again and need to bring it in for a 3rd steering column, meaning it came with a defective one, was evidently repaired with a defective one and who knows what will happen 6 months from now. I am very concerned about this. I have spoken to my dealership, filed a complaint with Chevy and was told by both that have only issued "bulletins" for mechanics. I feel a recall should be considered as this is a very serious problem, loss of steering control should not be taken lightly. So, to wrap this up, I had my car for 10 months and needed a new steering column (11/04) now 6 months later I will be getting another. Please look into this dangerouse defect and feel free contact me if I can assist any further.

- Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Mar 182005

Malibu

The steering column was replaced on my car twice since I purchased it in November of 2003. I lose all ability to steer at 60 mph and have to stop immediately.

- Centralia, MO, USA