Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Jun 072019

Malibu

ESC car, car completely shuts down and ESC tracking light comes on and it says no power/low power ESC - this can cause an accident. The car completely shuts down!

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 202019

Malibu

Issue started with gear shift not going into park and then power steering started having issues and quit working while driving with wheel shaking back and forth. Next transmission began slipping and now barely shifts. Wheel jerks so hard when I turn now that it kicks my hand off wheel. Coughlin automotive in london, Ohio told us that recall had been fixed but refuses to give us proof. Power steering has gone out in the middle of turning.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 012019

Malibu

Starting last week, I've noticed that my brake lights turn on when I'm not even touching the brake pedal. It happens all the time and the brake lights turn on when I'm accelerating and then turn off when I apply the brakes. I have to really push down hard on the brake pedal to have the brake lights turn on. The electronic stability control and traction lights also appeared on my dashboard and that's when I took my vehicle to the car shop today, but there was nothing wrong with my brakes, brake pads or suspension system. I looked online to find the recall number 14V252000 matching the exact description of what I'm experiencing in my Chevy Malibu. I searched on VIN on the online database, but my car didn't appear in the search even though my car matches the make, model, year and manufacture date range (August 2008).

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 022019

Malibu

While driving down the highway there was a sudden loss of electric power steering. Just as described in bulletin 114116, making it hard for me to turn the steering wheel which caused the car to shake terribly.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

May 182019

Malibu

Randomly without warning the ESC light will come on and the cars electric steering goes out and makes it nearly impossible to steer. As of now you can shut the car down and wait a few minutes and start the vehicle and it will work but then shut down within 10 miles. This makes the car extremely dangerous to drive.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Feb 152019

Malibu

While driving on highway, traction service indicator would come on as well as ESC indicating it was off, also brake lights would stay on all the time and cruise control would not work, vehicle would downshift at highway speeds (approximately 60 mph). Passenger side lower beam light continues to blowout (have replaced three times in as many months) also turn signal will not always click off after turning. As far as repairs on traction, ESC brake lights and downshifting, I removed the BCM connector, cleaned it and used dielectric grease on it and as of now seems to have resolved the problem, however, the headlight problem is ongoing as well as the turn indicator, if you will go online, (google) lower beam headlight problem on Chevy Malibu's as well as as the other electrical problems, you will find numberous complaints, but no recalls

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Feb 282019

Malibu

Brake lights stay on while driving and brake light goes off when stepping on the brake pedal. The lights are intermittently working and I've taken the car to get the problem taken care of, but it returns.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 172019

Malibu

Takata recall. ESC triggers with turns, power steering shuts down making it difficult to turn. On multiple occasions steering has failed causing me to stop in the middle of traffic, luckily able to avoid accidents. 09' Malibu @ 148K

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Apr 092019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering was faulty and excessive force had to be used to turn the steering wheel. In addition, the electronic stability control indicator (ESC) illuminated and the contact's spouse changed the brake hubs more than twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ESC sensor needed to be serviced and a new power steering system needed to be installed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer and dealer were not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 154,700.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Mar 292019

Malibu

When starting my car, I attempt to take it out of park and I need to step on my brakes as if I am slamming them just to move my car out of park. My brake lights are reversed, I noticed this at night when a car almost hit me. I thought it was the brake sensor so I changed it and that didn┐T fix the issue. Since then 3 cars have almost hit me because of this braking issue. While driving my traction light also comes on, it states 'service traction, service ESC┐ and makes my car shake.

- Providence, NC, USA

Apr 062019

Malibu

Takata recall. The whole car appears to be having problems at once. We go and get a certain minor problem fix and the next things pops up. Having problems driving acceleration and breaking. Doesn┐T seem to be safe to drive.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Mar 222019

Malibu

While operating my 2009 Chevy Malibu 4cyl in a turn, the electric power steering without any warning failed. A warning indicator afterwards then flashed power steering and electronic stability control failure. The result was almost total loss of control of vehicle while driving in heavy city traffic going through a traffic circle with children in backseat of my vehicle. This is because without warning the electronic power steering failed which caused me to panic emotionally and also caused me great physical difficulty as I am a woman and I all of a sudden had to garner all this strength to manually steer the vehicle in heavy city traffic. Chevy is aware of this defect and will repair this if the vehicle is less than 10 years old and had less than 150,000 miles. We could have all died in a car crash. I think this should be recalled as this is a safety hazard that comes without any warning and renders the vehicle undrivable unless repaired as it is unsafe. The Chevy mechanic indicates if both the sensor and motor need to be replaced it will cost $1200. My husband is a veteran and we cannot afford this costly repair.

- New London, WI, USA

Mar 252019

Malibu

The service ESC light came on, then the power steering light came on. I was in motion at the time about to make a turn. After a few days of the problem being intermittent, my car wouldn┐T start at all. I tried to start it and nothing. Replaced battery and a engine power reduced light came on. Car still won┐T start.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Mar 202019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. When making a turn, the steering failed and the electronic stability control indicator illuminated. The contact was able to gain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 012019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While operating the vehicle, the service ESC and power steering warning messages appeared. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist. The local dealer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jan 312019

Malibu

My power source in car won┐T work, my cruise control won┐T work, my power steering went out fist I would just have to restart the car and it would be fine not anymore. Some times my car completely locks up in the middle of driving, my headlights sometimes work and sometimes don┐T

- Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 042019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 75 mph, the power steering failed. Also, the ESC device, power steering, and traction control indicators illuminated. The contact had to use extra strength to steer the vehicle. The contact's parent had to come pick up the contact. The vehicle was not towed. The contact called kelley Chevrolet (5220 value drive, fort wayne, in 46805, (260) 484-5566) and was advised to call GM's customer service line. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 171,000.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Feb 202019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While operating the vehicle, the power steering malfunctioned and the steering wheel became difficult to turn in either direction. Also, the traction control, electronic stability control, and service power steering warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle became difficult to stop. Griffin Chevrolet (11100 w. metro auto mall, milwalkee, wi) and the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Milwalkee, WI, USA

Mar 072019

Malibu

My steering wheel wobbles/shakes extremely during stop of vehicle as well as in drive. At one point it said power steering service etc. I came across recall #14V153000, dealers and website says not found on my vehicle. I am wondering why that is since my problems are the same as the ones stated along with the same make, mode and year

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 092019

Malibu

Power steering, along with some other electric problems I am having with this car. I have only had the car for 3 years and already the steering wheel locks up frequently while driving my car on the highways, and traveling through the city. Last night the power steering locked as me and my child was driving home. I had to leave the car parked on a side street because the car would not allow me to turn the steering wheel to operate the car properly. At this time I am seeking immediate help with this issue.

- Dundalk, MD, USA