Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Jul 052014

Malibu

I was driving down the freeway between 70 & 75 mph. I heard brakes screeching behind me. I then realized that my cruz had also went off. I knew that my brake lights had come on for no reason again as they had in the past. I was sure cars were going to start rear ending each other because they thought I had slammed on my brakes. When this is occurring with my vehicle the brake lights are off when I'm stopped at a light or a stop sign and the brake lights come on when I take my foot off the brakes. The car will jerk like it is trying to stall. The RPM's will surge to 4000 while at the same time the car is slowing down. The cruz will not engage when the brake lights are on. These problems only occurs when the brake lights will not go off.

- Pierson, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake light turn on without braking, brake lights don work while braking, traction control becomes disabled, cruise will not activate, will not come out of park.

- Ransomeville, NY, USA

Jul 022014

Malibu

I had a lady follow me down a 55mph highway this morning, into my parking lot at work, to tell me that all of my brake lights were on as I was driving. Once I reached a speed of 15mph or faster, my brake lights would come on and go off when I would brake. She said she followed me to make sure I knew of the issue and that she almost rear-ended me, but was mindful that there was an issue with my brakes so followed a bit further behind. I also have recently noticed that my service traction and service ESC display warnings are on my dashboard, and my cruise control does not work. In researching this issue, there is an apparent recall on that affects my make/model year vehicle. I called the dealership and was advised (after providing my VIN) that my car was not covered under the recall. I am wondering how it is determined what VIN's are covered and which are not. I am clearly with a safety issue on my car and someone was kind enough to be watching out for me this morning.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Aug 262013

Malibu

While driving the vehicle, the service light came on for ESC/traction control and also my brake lights came on while my foot was on accelerator, I applied the brake and the brake light turned off, but when I accelerated again the brake light came back on after a few seconds. On different occasions while driving on the freeway the same thing happened and I was unable to engage the cruise control. When I turn off the car and restart it, the service light turns off but only momentarily. It eventually comes back on. Extremely irritating, inconvenient, and dangerous!

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Jun 132010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights had an intermittent short circuit. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the brake pedal actuator needed to be adjusted twice; however, the failure recurred. The power locks failed and don't work from the inside of the vehicle. The contact was not included in NHTSA recall campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was scheduled to be inspected and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 09/16/14 the consumer stated he believes the BCM is faulty beyond a bad connection; causing the power locks to malfunction. Updated 1/15/15

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Oct 282011

Malibu 6-cyl

My brake light would come on for no apparent reason then goes off when I touch my brakes. This has happened at least 6 times that I know of. Also, my stability control light comes on once every couple of months and said it needs maintenance. When I call the dealership and the run my VIN they say my car is not listed.

- New Palestine, IN, USA

Jun 122014

Malibu

Having problems with 2009 Chevy Malibu lt. Brake lights stay on constant, and turns off when brake pedal is pressed. What ever the problem has effected the traction control and cruise control. Been to dealer twice. First time they put in a new brake switch and said it was faulty and put some gel on some connectors "250$" week later having same problem. Took back to dealer. Know there replacing wiring and connectors saying its a wiring issue "645$"...

- Groton , SD, USA

May 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving on multiple occasions, the service traction, service ESC, and ESC off warning lights have illuminated on my dash. On two of these occasions, motorists have attracted my attention and notified me that my brake lights are reversed. Apparently, the brake lights stay on when the brakes are not applied, and the lights go off when the brakes are applied. I assume this only happens when the warning lights appear, which is at random times on the highway.

- Sunderland, MD, USA

Dec 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at 70 mph with cruise control engaged, the third brake light in the rear window would randomly come on causing the cruise control to shut off. Soon after this happens I get warnings on the dash to service the ecs and traction control system. It has been getting gradually worse and with the brake light activating, could cause drivers behind me to think I am stopping when I am not. This problem was mentioned in an article in usa today a couple of weeks ago, that GM will be issuing a recall for.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

May 212014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a delay in response. In addition, the ESC active warning light illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 135,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

The traction control and service ESC lights come on. The brake light come on while driving but will not come on when the brake is pushed. The cruise control stops working and it's loud when trying to accelerate.

- Monmouth, IL, USA

May 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevy Malibu's, service traction control and electronic stability control lights come on the dash when driving. Rear brake lights do not illuminate when the brake pedal is pushed and stay on when I am not pressing on the brake.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

As I was approaching a red light there was a car in front of me, I went to push the brake and the brakes did not work, I almost hit the car in front of me but the light turned green before I could hit the car.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

While night driving at 55 mph on a busy, wet highway, I noticed in my rearview mirror that the center brake light had illuminated on my car. I checked to see if the pedal was stuck by lifting it with my foot; it was not stuck. Then I quickly tapped the brakes - the brake light went off only to re-illuminate seconds later. I quickly exited the highway as motorists were beginning to beep at me. I continued to press and release the brake pedal on the off ramp, only to receive the same response from the brake light system. While driving, the brake light would stay on; upon slowing or stopping, the brake light would go off. I have looked at this issue online and see that this is a common complaint from owners of the 2009 Malibu. A recall has been in question since March of 2013; I stress that the NHTSA needs to address this issue, as the malfunction is severe enough to cause fatalities.

- Southington, OH, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu

While driving the brake lights will come on for no reason and the service traction control warning will activate. If you tap the brakes the lights will go off for a few seconds but then come back on. If you apply the brakes to stop the lights go out and people behind you are confused. We get honked at and hand gestures constantly. We replaced the brake light switch and it was recalibrated and the problem still exists. We checked the fuse and put dialetric grease on it as suggested by the dealer and still the brake lights activate without touching the pedal. GM needs to fix this before someone is killed.

- Harris, MN, USA

Oct 182013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights turn on when brake pedal is not pressed, and goes off when brakes are touched lightly; shortly after, the brake lights come back on when pedal is released. Several cars have come close to rear-ending me due to the brake light failure. Took to Chevrolet dealer, they said the wiring harness looked good, no service performed on it.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Apr 022014

Malibu 4-cyl

I went to start the car and pressed the parking brake pedal, when suddenly I heard a loud noise and have no parking brake. I took the car to the dealer and their diagnose was that the parking brake cable broke because the rear brake pads were low, I am claiming them this is a mechanical defect that can cause an accident, due to a car roll over or not having an emergency brake. The pads were low but did not were on metal.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Sep 142008

Malibu 4-cyl

On September 14, 2008 at approximately 12:30 am, the car I was driving suddenly went into a skid after which I aggressively deployed the brakes when the airbags deployed leaving me unconscious and not in control of the car. The car then hit the barrier and then a parked disabled car at a high speed. I was injured and the driver of the parked car was fatally killed. I went to prison for five years because no one would believe my story.

- Washington Dc, DC, USA

Jun 072013

Malibu 4-cyl

ESC light stays on has been replaced 3 times. Causes traction control not to work properly also brake lights fail to work or will stay on and or stay off. Have reported to Chevy dealer in traver city Michigan they say nothing is wrong.. but something is wrong... or not right I never know if my tail lights or brake lights are going to work and traction control...

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu

For the last year or so I have been having issues with my brake lights ingaging and my cruise control inoperable. I currently have a 2009 Malibu. A friend was driving behind me once and mentioned later that I was riding my brakes all the way home. I was not. I notice a few days later this happened again, but it was dusk and I could see from my rear window the reflection of my break light, it was on and my brake was not ingaged. This has happened several other times, to my knowledge. If I tap my brakes the lights will go off, however will come back on within a few seconds. I'm highly concerned about a rear end collision. If I actually do have to stop quickly and the person behind me hitting me because my break lights are not functioning properly. I've taken it in to a mechanic and they can't replicate the issues. It's intermittent.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA