2.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Apr 142017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While idling at a stop, the vehicle lost power without warning. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle and it returned to normal. The contact was able to drive home and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the failure occurred when the vehicle was idling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact called the manufacturer and received case number: 8-2921520333. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000.

- Bryant, AR, USA

Feb 012017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The steering wheel began to severely vibrate, which made it difficult to control the vehicle. The dealer was unable to replicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Moore, SC, USA

Mar 072017

Malibu

I recently bought this car at a buy here pay here and after one say the power steering went completely out on the vehicle. I researched and found a recall on the power steering unity but dealership said it was expired?

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Mar 022017

Malibu

Failed NJ dmv inspection, engine icon, PO714,715 emissions codes. Corrected and icon went off. 5 days later, while stopped at light, transmission lost forward, 2 days later, lost reverse. Codes PO716 came up. Car is a California pvec covered for a long list of failed parts, 53,000 miles, 8 yrs old, covered I thought for 15 yrs/150,000 for trans failure due to exactly this history. Dealer new trans $4000, denied it was due to covered parts. Removed and examined trans, showed metal, "from wave plate likely". therefore not covered, per dealer. Service mgr said has seen failures in lower mileage than this. I am asked to pay for break down of trans to diagnose uncovered repair, admittedly a 2-3 hour job. Decided to not repair, sell for salvage. Lease another car from dealer hoping for a better outcome down the line.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Feb 262017

Malibu

I have had the same issue as others (see complaint ids below for reference). Mine started at at 104,740 miles - very similar to ever other person. The dealer says they too believe exactly what I describe below fits the problem with the transmission clutch wave plate service bulletin (which I hope will be covered but do not think it will based on what I see on my GM owner center account and my VIN number┐hope I┐M wrong, I take it into the dealer in the morning again!) when I accelerated from a stop around third gear the vehicle's rpms slammed up to around 7K and then around fifth gear (I think around 55 mph) it slipped again, when I went to slow down it hung on the way down. Then, when I pulled into the left turn lane the car went into "limp" mode (think Michigan uturn). I then thought to myself, I should try shutting it off when the cars in front of me stops because I don't want more issues with the transmission. So, I did and that's when it wouldn't shift again into drive nor go into reverse (wasn┐T expecting that). When I was in the left hand turn lane it caused traffic to backup onto the highway (55mph), not only putting myself in danger but every person behind me that attempted to pass me (I was on my way to church┐and so were 2,500 other attendees). Thankfully a police officer came until the wrecker arrived (1 hour later)┐but until the officer arrived (took about 20 min.)┐folks were making some very ┐gutsy┐ moves to get around me. Reference complaint NHTSA id number: 10909571, 10806366, 10749558, 10712799, 10824378, 10611131, 10267834, 10290424, 10617224, 10654655, 10837023, 10726704, 10852752 reference service bulletin: Https://www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm507769/sb-10057961-2162.pdf

- Troy, MI, USA

Jan 292015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed to switch into the park position and the parking indicator would not illuminate. The vehicle failed to start. The issue occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign number: 12V460000 (power train) and service bulletin number: 12106, but the VIN was excluded. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Oct 182016

Malibu

Vehicle shut off while I was driving on city street to pick up my daughter from school, and has not started since. No traction, service ESC and power loss messages appeared on the dash display. The dealer was unable to communicate with the onboard computers.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the cruise control was activated, it randomly deactivated. Also, when the brake pedal was depressed, the center brake light would not illuminate and the rear brake lights illuminated very dimly. The contact also indicated that the transmission was replaced due to failures that prevented the vehicle from accelerating normally. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 222016

Malibu

The wave plate had fractured at 114,000 miles according to the repair shop and my transmission needs to be completely replaced. The vehicle will not go over 30mph and will not go in reverse. I cannot afford a repair of this magnitude and everyone I have talked with said this should not have happened with this many miles. I have had this car for less than 3 years. I see there are many complaints. How do I find out if my car is covered for the 10yr/120K warranty?

- Lapeer, MI, USA

May 102015

Malibu

Door locks and windows stopped working in suspect due to some electrical problems. And when I'm on the gas it won't pick up any speed and I think that's due to the cam shaft. And I know im not the only one having the same problems with the same car. It's really becoming a problem

- Dekalb, MS, USA

Feb 022016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was stopped at a red light, the check engine, traction control off, and stability control off warning lights illuminated. While the vehicle was parked on a hill, it independently rolled backwards without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the passenger side headlight failed to operate intermittently. The contact mentioned that the bulb was replaced multiple times, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness was burned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 09V073000 (power train) and 12V460000 (power train). The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 022016

Malibu

I put my car in reverse it backed out of my driveway fine but as I shifted gear from reverse to drive my engine would rev but I wouldn't go anywhere and as I took my foot off the gas it would roll back even after I put it in park it would act like it wanted to roll back. Also the window locks wouldn't open if the car was in park and key out of ignition.....

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Aug 012015

Malibu

Timing chain broke in 2015 totaling the motor of the car- had to have motor replaced cost thousands of dollars. Car stalled when putting it into park in a parking spot and would start after that- no previous issues.

- Hornell, NY, USA

May 062016

Malibu

2009my Malibu, timing chain broken. Other issues including valves, both front outer tie rods, alignment, A/C compressor, both sway bar links, right front axle seal, and rea brake pads

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various highway speeds and braking, the vehicle would not accelerate over 30 mph. The contact stated that the acceleration would be delayed and the vehicle would jerk prior to accelerating from a completed stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave plate had fractured and the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 102015

Malibu

When hooked up to the computer it threw the code transmission control module. The car is stuck in one gear, sometimes it is 1st gear sometimes it is 5th gear. You never know when you start the car andealers take off what gear it will be in.

- Fredericktown, MO, USA

Feb 052016

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the wave plate in the transmission had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,399. Updated 04/11/16

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jan 202016

Malibu

Hard shift developing between 4th & 5th gear as well as reverse beginning to slip. There is a 10 year/120,000 mile campaign issued by GM concerning the 6T45 as well as the 6T70 / 75 transmissions concerning defective 3-5-R wave plates, but does not include the 6T40 transmission which my vehicle has. The defective internal parts in question are shared between the 6T40 as well as the 6T45 so I dont understand how my model transmission is not included in this campaign to solve this known issue.

- Highland, MI, USA

Jan 272014

Malibu

Transmission bell housing and torque converter seals. Why was the transmission not under warranty for this repair. I purchased the car at 36,045 miles, at 78,798 miles this transmission pan leakage occurs. This result in 3rd gear shift slipping. Rendering me to pay a total to roger dean of $1,234.15, mind you the seals were $30 and the labor $1086.40. There must have been a defect in the seals for that situation to occur in the transmission. Please investigate. Purchase car from roger dean on 7/30/11 at 36,045 miles. Had repairs done on 1/28/14 at 78,798 miles.

- Riviera Beach, FL, USA

Oct 232015

Malibu

October 23, 2015, my wife was driving the 2009 Malibu to work when, all of a sudden, the transmission would not shift. She was able to get to the side of the road and stopped. She tried to go forward and the car stayed in first gear. She stopped tried to back up and it would not go. She called me and, I was able to get the car home slowly in first gear. We knew the warranty was done as of the 5 years but only had 65,000 miles on it. So, after reading on line about dealerships using used parts to fix the transmission, we chose atlas transmission to do the work. We were told the wave plate broke basically taking out the trans and needed a new trans. $2808 later we had the car fixed. I contacted Chevrolet anf GM about this since I read the coverage on the 6 speed automatic was extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. I was told my car was not in that recall and they couldnt do anything to help me since it was a government mandated coverage because it was a safety issue. Really"-- my wife breaking down in traffic on the highway was not a safety issue? --really?-- I am very dissappointed in Chevrolet and General Motors. I have driven their cars for 40 years! --a known problem with the wave plate, a transmission replaced at 65,000 miles because of the known problem. $2808 cash out of my pocket because of a known problem and they cant do anything for me ? I think that sucks! I was offered a gift card for the service department or to buy accessories for my car as compensation for the problem. --really"--- wow, I thought GM would step up to the plate on this one, especially because they were covering other transmissions with the same problem. --well, they definately lost me as a future customer. I traded it in om a new Ford escape for my wife. A much better choice as I see it. Im sure they will take better care of their customers, ---as they did in the past.

- Middleburg Hts, OH, USA