Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Jun 152018

Malibu

Passenger rear and front door automatic lock doesn't work and passenger has to manually pull it up to get out of car. Electrical panel will reset and then come back normal. Speed, gas, and RPM needles will bounce to 0, E, 0 and then go normal.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 122017

Malibu

Key fob quit working. Bought new key fob from Chevrolet and Chevrolet mechanic could not get it to program. Lock switches on door stop working. Car will lock itself. Had to pay for lock smith because it locked me out.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Dec 112017

Malibu

Every time it rains or is very humid my all of the door locks will randomly lock and unlock ż whether IżM driving or the car is off and I am not inside. Its creepy. The door panel on the driver side initially stopped working and was replaced in January 2018 but by Feb the panel had stopped working again. The passenger side door only locks manually and never responded to driver side door panel controls when they were functioning. Now that my warranty has expired, manual locking it is.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Dec 012017

Malibu

I am not sure where to start. Door locks intermittently don't work, bluetooth just stopped working, have had to change headlight bulbs 3 times in 2 years, power steering went out (had that repaired by dealer at not cost), ac/heater/defroster used to shut off intermittently, now it just stopped working, driver's side seat heater stopped working, instrument panel randomly throws up error code (example: Service airbag, service engine) oh and the paint is fading on hood roof and trunk. Car has 75,000 miles and I used to love it. No I won't drive it out of town.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Mar 142018

Malibu

Takata recal, my cars lock button stopped working and my key pads as well as my headlights go out and come back on on their own. My car was in my driveway and all this happened a few weeks of eachother. Went to change my bulb and old bulb came back on. As well as when all my electrical went bad it was sitting in my driveway all night and battery quit working.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Mar 292018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated. Twenty minutes later, the traction control and service ESC warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that a message appeared on the dashboard indicating "engine power reduced" and the speed decreased to 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to moran Chevrolet clinton twp (35500 gratiot ave, charter twp of clinton, mi 48035, (586) 307-5902) where it was diagnosed that the faulty solenoid valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,937.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 232018

Malibu

The car keeps dying and shutting off. I have replaced 2 new batteries and an alternator. When I am driving the car will either just die or start to die and all of the lights come on, power steering, ESC emergency brake all of them and then the car eventually dies.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Mar 252018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the front driver's seat heating system failed, causing the front driver's seat to overheat and cause two burnt holes. In addition, the contacts jacket burned due to the failure. There were no injuries sustained. A dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Ludlow, KY, USA

Jan 052018

Malibu

Power steering becomes stiff after idling for a few moments. Shut the engine off and restart and problem goes away. Brake lights work intermittently. Power door locks work intermittently when lock button is pushed several times. Unlocking doesn't work at all unless car is put in reverse then back into park.

- Bellevue, KY, USA

Mar 072018

Malibu

Have lost all power steering, sensor is messed up, brakes are barely working, why wasn't a recall issued for all 2009 Malibu? this is beyond dangerous.

- Holly Springs, MS, USA

Jan 272018

Malibu

I have replaced my passenger side headlight three times now within the last two years. I dont think headlights need to be replaced this often. My passenger headlight will go on and then a little while later will go off. I just recently replaced my headlight two weeks ago and its now doing the same thing...it comes on and later goes off...

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jan 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was driven to the contact's residence. The contact drove the vehicle to merel Chevrolet (800 w henderson ave, porterville, ca 93257), but a failure code could not be produced and the dealer could not assist. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired and continued to shut off without warning. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Portervill, CA, USA

Jan 192018

Malibu

Takata recall I was at a stop sign at a very busy intersection. When I pulled out my power steering went out. I had no way in turning the vehicle. I had to reverse the vehicle and put it in park then turn off the vehicle. When turning back on vehicle was fine. Drove a mile to local bank and it did it again in the drive thru. As I was trying to make it to work it went out as I was pulling into parking lot. The first time power steering went out two lanes of oncoming traffic had to stop to keep from hitting my vehicle. I was completely exposed. This is a family vehicle and in 9 years this should not be a concern for my family. The car said "power steering" & "ESC" when it locked down. There is a recall # 14772 for 2004-2007 Malibu's that state the same issue I am having.

- Sylva, NC, USA

Oct 062017

Malibu

Driving the Malibu down the country road and some code flashed on the dash and then said power reduction and now its making a weird noise and car only drives slow, if this happens on a highway their will be a crash as when the power reduction kicked on it turned off traction control and power steering making it hard to move the steering wheel thank goodness I was in the country with little traffic.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

May 252014

Malibu

Rear door locks will not open when car is put in park also will not open with remote.

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Sep 142017

Malibu

Car will not start and it gives message of service traction, service ESC. I see that other 2009 maliibu have been recalled for the same reasons. Why not mine? I have been researching and I think it may be the wiring. The recall #14V252000 covers this.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Nov 032010

Malibu

Brake lights come one when driving and brake pedal is not pressed. Brake lights go off when brakes are pressed. Been to the dealer 3 times and they put some gel on the BCM connection as per a safety bulletin from GM. It fixed problem for a week. Problem has returned 4 times now. I think NHTSA should take my car to the test track and prove that a safety recall should be made on this vehicle. NHTSA did once prior take my Chevy Tahoe 1997 to the test track and proved that GM had indeed had an electronic issue. So please come get my car and test the brake light switch or BCM. It is unsafe and thousands have complained about the same item on the internet. I indicate in the form the first time it happened, it has never worked for a long period of time matter of facti took it to service facility today 7/24/17 again :smegggy@yahoo.com

- Brecksville, OH, USA

May 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. After the dealer repaired the vehicle per NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (service brakes, hydraulic, electrical system, exterior lighting, vehicle speed control, electronic stability control), the contact experienced a failure. The contact notified the dealer several times that the brake lights remained illuminated when the brake pedal was not depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed, the exterior brake lights failed to illuminate. The dealer (cox Chevrolet, 2900 cortez rd w, bradenton, fl 34207, (941) 749-2699) was unable to replicate the failure and stated that further diagnostic testing was required. The contact felt as if the recall repair provided no solution. The manufacturer was notified and provided no assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 172016

Malibu

Service traction, service electronic stability control, electronic stability control off occurs while sitting and driving. Car jerks skips and shakes. Hard to pick up speed or go to the next gear, door lock on driver side stop working.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 172017

Malibu

The car's power steering went out while I was in motion, turning in a parking garage. An error message displayed saying "power steering failure - service ESC". the first time this came up was about three months ago, and I took it to the Chevy dealership and they fixed it under warranty. This same problem just came up again and I am beginning to think that this is a known problem, given the amount of recall information I've seen about this issue.

- Arlington, VA, USA