Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Aug 022019

Malibu

When you're driving down the road the brake lights come on and stay on when you press the pedal the brake lights go off and then come back on when you release the pedal 3 seconds later the brake lights come back on and stay on.

- Denver, IA, USA

Jun 222019

Malibu

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu.recall webisite reflects numerous recalls regarding my auto, make and model. While driving on a 6 lane hwy, , I have lost power steering twice. Which is almost impossable to control. Also, the automatic locks have stopped operating even when pressing the door auto lock/ unlock button.you can hear then trying to function however does not. Also, while sitting in park, I crank my car and shift to reverse, my car does not go into reverse. Sometime it will hit very hard and sometime not go into gear at all. I place my car in drive and move forward then to reverse, the car goes into reverse. On other occasions, I turn the car off, re-crank it and its fine. These problems are listed as recalls for the make and model of my auto however, doesn't apoear under my VIN when I search. What can I do I am affraid for my safety while driving my car and also reluctant to drive it. These issues need to be resolved as they appear as recalls. When you loose control while driving and your safety is in jeopardy, its time to expect results.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

May 032019

Malibu

Warning lights on dash contantly flash: ESC, brake lights, tire sensors, tire traction, engine reduce speed. The car turns off while actively driving (in motion), sometimes will start up in neutral or park right away and sometimes not. On I-95 and city street. Dealership stated the timing chain need to be done so it got done and car still doing the same thing. Sensors also has been replaced.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012019

Malibu

Starting last week, I've noticed that my brake lights turn on when I'm not even touching the brake pedal. It happens all the time and the brake lights turn on when I'm accelerating and then turn off when I apply the brakes. I have to really push down hard on the brake pedal to have the brake lights turn on. The electronic stability control and traction lights also appeared on my dashboard and that's when I took my vehicle to the car shop today, but there was nothing wrong with my brakes, brake pads or suspension system. I looked online to find the recall number 14V252000 matching the exact description of what I'm experiencing in my Chevy Malibu. I searched on VIN on the online database, but my car didn't appear in the search even though my car matches the make, model, year and manufacture date range (August 2008).

- Newark, DE, USA

May 232019

Malibu

"takata recall" recently while driving and in park, even when I am sitting at a red light my car my locks will lock and unlock without me pushing the buttons on the door, which are broken and the dealer would not fix it upon request. Also my car will stall at times because the door locks are motioning on their own. For some reason the electrical system in the car messed with the locks when the prior owner put in a auto start in the car, which I did not know of until the car was owned and it was'nt told to me either. I feel this car was a rough struggle since getting it and now its so hard to get fixed because of someone else's non knowledge before selling it.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Feb 152019

Malibu

While driving on highway, traction service indicator would come on as well as ESC indicating it was off, also brake lights would stay on all the time and cruise control would not work, vehicle would downshift at highway speeds (approximately 60 mph). Passenger side lower beam light continues to blowout (have replaced three times in as many months) also turn signal will not always click off after turning. As far as repairs on traction, ESC brake lights and downshifting, I removed the BCM connector, cleaned it and used dielectric grease on it and as of now seems to have resolved the problem, however, the headlight problem is ongoing as well as the turn indicator, if you will go online, (google) lower beam headlight problem on Chevy Malibu's as well as as the other electrical problems, you will find numberous complaints, but no recalls

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Feb 282019

Malibu

Brake lights stay on while driving and brake light goes off when stepping on the brake pedal. The lights are intermittently working and I've taken the car to get the problem taken care of, but it returns.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 172019

Malibu

Takata recall. ESC triggers with turns, power steering shuts down making it difficult to turn. On multiple occasions steering has failed causing me to stop in the middle of traffic, luckily able to avoid accidents. 09' Malibu @ 148K

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Apr 022019

Malibu

While driving each light comes on follow by power steering the wheel automatically started clicking while turning the wheel in the mist the wheel jerks the opposite direction make it hard to turn and can cause an accident. The power steering then goes completely out

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 272019

Malibu

Replaced battery, starter, and alternator driving down highway esu warning and traction service light come on power steering light came on. Car loss power and cut off

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 152019

Malibu

Steering wheel locks up in cold weather even after being warmed up for more than 5 minutes. Happened twice, second time I did a normal turn to the right it locked up and had to pull over right away. Always unlocks when restarting the car. Right headlight also doesn't properly work. Changed the light bulb two weeks ago and turned off just today. Checked the bulb and still works. I've researched the problems online and there's been recalls and complaints about both of my problems.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Apr 112019

Malibu

I purchased the car March 14, 2019 from a family member. The front passenger low beam headlight was not working. The prior owner stated they had taken the car in to have the light repaired at least 6 times in since 2009. April 2, 2019 I took the car to clint newell Chevrolet to have the low beam headlight fixed. The problem was the wire that plugs into the light was melted. The repair cost was $172.33. On April 4, 2019 the rear passenger turn signal quit working. I replaced the bulb. April 9, 2019 the passenger tail light quit working. April 11, 2019 I replaced the bulb. As soon as that was done the front passenger low beam headlight quit working again. I checked the low beam fuse and it was fine. I cannot afford $172 again 9 days later for this repair. I have also found online in Chevy forums, this seems to be a problem for many people that own Chevrolet Malibu.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Mar 222019

Malibu

While operating my 2009 Chevy Malibu 4cyl in a turn, the electric power steering without any warning failed. A warning indicator afterwards then flashed power steering and electronic stability control failure. The result was almost total loss of control of vehicle while driving in heavy city traffic going through a traffic circle with children in backseat of my vehicle. This is because without warning the electronic power steering failed which caused me to panic emotionally and also caused me great physical difficulty as I am a woman and I all of a sudden had to garner all this strength to manually steer the vehicle in heavy city traffic. Chevy is aware of this defect and will repair this if the vehicle is less than 10 years old and had less than 150,000 miles. We could have all died in a car crash. I think this should be recalled as this is a safety hazard that comes without any warning and renders the vehicle undrivable unless repaired as it is unsafe. The Chevy mechanic indicates if both the sensor and motor need to be replaced it will cost $1200. My husband is a veteran and we cannot afford this costly repair.

- New London, WI, USA

Mar 282019

Malibu

Brake lights not functioning correctly.brake lights illuminate at the opposite times. Meaning lights come on when not touching the brake pedal yet go off when depressing the brake pedal. This brake light malfunction is intermittent. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer 6 times in last 9 years for repair. Chevy has a service bulletin on how to fix and dealer does repairs for free. The repair lasts not long before I notice they are again malfunctioning. Took vehicle to dealer twice so far in 2019 and each time the brake lights worked perfectly and they could do nothing. Today they are not functioning, but by time I get an appointment and arrive at the dealer the lights will function correctly. But they will fail again this cycle has gone on for years and Chevy is aware of this issue. The dealer service bulletin has them putting dielectric grease and a wire harness on the body control module connection.which they have done at least 3 times. Please issue a recall as I see 09 Malibu S driving down the highway with brake lights on routinely and the web has tons of people complaining. You can have my car to test if you need it to prove the problem exists. Once before you took my Chevy Tahoe 97 to prove a power steering issue. Date listed below is the last date I took car to dealer for repair, but they could not get the brakes to malfunction yet a day prior they malfunctioned. In next question it asks how many miles on car when happened. I put in the first time I took it to the dealer in 2010

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Mar 282019

Malibu

Constantly have had problem with low beam passenger side light going out. Replaced harness, now light went out again. Intermittently working, problem is now my daughter is going down I94 in the dark and the lights shut off. Only way to drive is with the high beams on.

- Jamestown, ND, USA

Mar 072019

Malibu

My car power steering goes out and comes pack after I turn my car off and on. Sometimes the car won┐T start and the ABS light and the traction control light is on on the dash and the inside lock and unlock buttons don┐T work. They will go up and down on their own in the beginning now if I open my door it locks on me. I changed the wheel barring on the front right tire because bell tire said that the sensor was bad and you have to replace the whole thing G. still having issues. I don┐T feel safe where I work I travel and I don┐T always work in the best of neighborhoods and I don┐T want to get my car broken into or robbed. And I surely don┐T want my power steering to go out again while driving on the high way and me crashing and possibly injuring or killing someone else.

- Wayland, MI, USA

Mar 132019

Malibu

Electronic power system failed.. while driving it became difficult to steer. Managed to get off the road and wait for help.. was driving in the city limits of town

- Belton, SC, USA

Jan 312019

Malibu

My power source in car won┐T work, my cruise control won┐T work, my power steering went out fist I would just have to restart the car and it would be fine not anymore. Some times my car completely locks up in the middle of driving, my headlights sometimes work and sometimes don┐T

- Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 092019

Malibu

Power steering, along with some other electric problems I am having with this car. I have only had the car for 3 years and already the steering wheel locks up frequently while driving my car on the highways, and traveling through the city. Last night the power steering locked as me and my child was driving home. I had to leave the car parked on a side street because the car would not allow me to turn the steering wheel to operate the car properly. At this time I am seeking immediate help with this issue.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Mar 062019

Malibu

Power steering randomly stops work. I was driving down a busy highway and it completely stoped working! I have to stop the car shut it off and back on for the power steering to start working again. Also, when I start the car the wheel starts to shake (when in park) and also shakes going down the highway. Happens at least 3-4 times a week.

- Grundy Center, IA, USA