1.7

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Sep 122019

Malibu

Engine shuts off while driving when traveling over 30mph.

- Saddle Brook, NJ, USA

Jun 072019

Malibu

ESC car, car completely shuts down and ESC tracking light comes on and it says no power/low power ESC - this can cause an accident. The car completely shuts down!

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 312019

Malibu

I have had problems with this vehicle from day one. I filed a report previously and I am filing another one in reference to my power transmission. I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu, 4 speed, automatic. I was driving and the vehicle downshifted itself without my doing anything, almost causing an accident because it would not shift into high gear. Something popped in the vehicle and the gear shifted for a little bit and worked and then it happened again. I think the shifting cable may have fractured or separated. This was very nerve wracking, because it was in the late evening hours and traffic was extremely heavy. Now it is sitting in the driveway.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Mar 252019

Malibu

The service ESC light came on, then the power steering light came on. I was in motion at the time about to make a turn. After a few days of the problem being intermittent, my car wouldnżT start at all. I tried to start it and nothing. Replaced battery and a engine power reduced light came on. Car still wonżT start.

- Barberton, OH, USA

May 012018

Malibu

Car loss of power, and steering assist, engine stops. May start after a minute.

- Greendale, WI, USA

Jun 192016

Malibu

Car will intermittently not start. While camping in Arizona my car wouldnżT start. I took it to a repair shop where they replaced the starter and fuel pump. It started fine for a little while and then decided to randomly stop starting again.

- Newfield, NY, USA

Jan 262019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle accelerated without warning. Also, when the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle did not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to regal lakeland (925 bartow rd, lakeland, fl 33801, 863-904-1170) where it was diagnosed that the cylinder head failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 118,368.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 242018

Malibu

I have been having trouble with my car almost from the time of purchase. My vehicle is having some transmission problems. It is having problems picking up speed and jerks when gears are shifted. I have also notice that when the button is pushed to roll down the window, the light flickers a bit. My car has numerous recalls on it but everytime I take it to the shop, they tell me they are closed out. That is a safety issue, how can they legally close out a recall of something that is unsafe? he said they put a certain number out of how many vehicles have gotten the recall taken care of. The others are considered lost or stolen. I bought this car used and I did not have it in the time the recalls were issued. My vehicle has never been lost or stolen. I have taken it to bob bell numerous times, only to be told the recalls are closed. I had to get my insurance to pay for one of the recall issues because my steering while locked up while driving and I was unable to turn the wheel. This transmission issue I am having has to do with another recall issue but they tell me it is closed out. There is also an open recall for the takata inflators. When I get into the vehicle and start it then put it in reverse to back out, I can feel it jerk and often hear a pop sound. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to get it to shift into reverse. It seems stuck. The vehicle seem sluggish, like it does not have full power.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 042018

Malibu

I have had multiple ignition switch failures resulting in loss of airbag systems, the engine not shutting off when the key is removed, the battery dying, a brand new battery started smoking and leaking acid due to a 3rd faulty ignition switch. The issue can be spotty but indefinitely becomes more prevalent as whatever short in the switch gets worse. This is also across multiple switch manufacturers including bwd, ac delco and bmg. I have also noticed that the airbag system may remain on even with the vehicle off and, the battery drainage is much more prevalent when the airbag stays either in the on or off position with the vehicle off. The other issue this causes is the airbag system to completely go off line in which case the airbag warning light will go off but this usually resolves itself after 2 to 10 starts.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Aug 092017

Malibu

The car loses speed while driving then reduce power shows on dashboard. When stop engine shaking and sometimes does not start.. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find problem I already spend over 4000 and still happen.

- Empire, CA, USA

Jul 032018

Malibu

The second day I had the vehicle power steering went out. I was driving in houston Texas in full traffic and my motor had engine power loss. They fixed my power steering. Now my car goes into engine power loss when driving. ESC, traction control and engine power loss come on the display. Weżve changed the spark plugs and throttle body but still nothing. The car shakes at redlights and stop signs. The ac smells like fumes. When the car is stationary with the ac on the car goes into engine power loss. Left front headlight goes out and comes back on.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

May 032018

Malibu

Car stalled going up a hill and turning left. Dangerous in traffic. Difficult to steer off the road. Now, unreliable ability to start the car. Chugging going up a hill happened both on a city street as well as high speed highway. Turning left stalling occurred on a city street as well as on an off ramp from highway to city street.

- Notasulga, AL, USA

Mar 242018

Malibu

The shift cable to the transmission became loose while vehicle was running. I was unable to shift the vehicle until the cable was reconnected by hand. The vehicle has an issue with accelerating especially when trying to go highway speeds. It cant flow into traffic normally. The check engine code is P0420 for the catalytic converter.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jan 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was driven to the contact's residence. The contact drove the vehicle to merel Chevrolet (800 w henderson ave, porterville, ca 93257), but a failure code could not be produced and the dealer could not assist. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired and continued to shut off without warning. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Portervill, CA, USA

Dec 012017

Malibu

Engine light constantly on. Dealership does not know what is wrong. Showing code P1174 & no one knows what this is. Power steering quit working while driving on city street.ESC light will turn on. Dashboard lights will go on and off. Doors will lock them selves locking me inside.this is happening since August 2017-present (12-29-17).multiple trips to dealership where vehicle was purchased and all they do is reset sensor and tell me to wait until it breaks. I'd say it is already broken.

- Philipsburg, PA, USA

Oct 062017

Malibu

They try to fix everyting but they still come

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jan 012017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the gear automatically changed and the engine stalled. The electronic stability control, service traction, and check engine indicators illuminated. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road, restarted the engine, and the vehicle returned to normal. The contact also stated that the door locks automatically locked and unlocked while driving. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in a recall. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jul 032017

Malibu

1) awhile back, after starting and warming engine and taking off, while making a left turn on city street, car turn off completely..wheel froze after turn. I turned key off and restarted car and it would work ok. It happened 3 0R 4 times. No warning light came on. I took it to dealership and they could not find the problem. 2) while on freeway, tire monitor warning light came on twice, I bought tires but did not have monitors checked. A few days later engine light came on. Now, I needed smog done, had to replace catalic converter (1400.00) and mechanic has a problem with car communications system. Its costing me too much. There is recall on something having to do with brakes.. could this communications problem be related? I did have brake pads replaced last year. The recall has to with BCM and bas (my dashboard lights occassionally fluctuate and take a while for lights to come on bright with dashboard button all way to bright.). remote control stopped working 6 months after I bought car in 2010...doors have to be locked manually..except for passenger side door, power windows do not work. My concern right now is having it smogged and tire monitors.

- Salida, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving various speeds. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Troy, IL, USA

Jun 012016

Malibu

Engine light comes on every six or seven starups and stays on for about six more car starts. Pep boys serviced the engine light code camshaft position actuator solenoid sensor. They tested resistance and nothing was out of parameters and oil viscosity was correct. The issue is still ongoing and emissions for my vehicle come up in January. If I fail emissions and the issue is still unresolved, who do I contact?

- Alexandria, VA, USA