Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Oct 242018

Malibu

While driving, sometimes my brake lights come on when I am not depressing the brake pedal, sometimes, when I press the brake pedal the break lights do not come on, the traction control light comes on and stays of then later it goes off.

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 032018

Malibu

Passenger headlight has blown twice in less then a year. Driver side air bag warning light keeps coming on. Drivers side seat belt no longer retracts.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Aug 312018

Malibu

Passenger side headlight intermittently goes out. It is not determined by if it's parked or I'm driving down the road.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 062018

Malibu

Headlight conntor keep buring out low beam on passager side second time replacing it in two years

- Farmville, VA, USA

Sep 112018

Malibu

Since I have had this car in 2010, I have replaced headlights at least 3 times a year, which has cost me at least $200 each visit, I have searched online and it seems to be a very common issue. I have dropped it off for the second time in 3 months to get

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Aug 062018

Malibu

Passenger side headlight issue. Headlight lowbeam specifically on passenger side keep going out. After research and testing to find out it's not the actual bulb that's the issue. It's that headlight wiring on several different Malibu's. changed bulb 3 times in 6 month window.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 042018

Malibu

The driver's side low beam lights keep going out and not I think it is affecting my driver's side rear lights. I already had it fixed and paid a traffic ticket totaling $700 on it. The first time I thought it was just the bulb. I found out it was electrical problem and it turned out to be the pigtail. I replaced it and now after 4 months they are out again. I have seen many complaints similar to mine in multiple blogs.

- Claymont, DE, USA

Jan 012016

Malibu

The passenger low beam light burns out frequently. Upon fixing the connection was melted. The steering becomes hard to turn while driving slow or slowing down to turn.

- Woodward, OK, USA

Jul 032018

Malibu

The second day I had the vehicle power steering went out. I was driving in houston Texas in full traffic and my motor had engine power loss. They fixed my power steering. Now my car goes into engine power loss when driving. ESC, traction control and engine power loss come on the display. Weżve changed the spark plugs and throttle body but still nothing. The car shakes at redlights and stop signs. The ac smells like fumes. When the car is stationary with the ac on the car goes into engine power loss. Left front headlight goes out and comes back on.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

May 152018

Malibu

My brake lights and fifth light in window come on without braking and go off when brake is pressed

- Salisbury, MD, USA

May 092017

Malibu

Passenger headlight loses power. Light bulb changes 3 times and they all are not burned out. Changed wiring. Light will now stay lit. Low beam only. This has been going on for a year.

- Englewood, CO, USA

May 192018

Malibu

Passenger side low beam head light went out for 3rd time within about 8 months.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 142018

Malibu

Takata recal, my cars lock button stopped working and my key pads as well as my headlights go out and come back on on their own. My car was in my driveway and all this happened a few weeks of eachother. Went to change my bulb and old bulb came back on. As well as when all my electrical went bad it was sitting in my driveway all night and battery quit working.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Apr 092018

Malibu

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu and the passenger low beam light keeps going out every 3-4 months. I have changed the bulbs 5 times now and recently changed the harness and still went out 3 months later. It is starting to cost me a lot of money and keeps happening.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 202018

Malibu

Passenger side headlight wire harness keeps going bad. Lightbulb is good. 3rd one within a year and a half.

- King George, VA, USA

Jan 052018

Malibu

Power steering becomes stiff after idling for a few moments. Shut the engine off and restart and problem goes away. Brake lights work intermittently. Power door locks work intermittently when lock button is pushed several times. Unlocking doesn't work at all unless car is put in reverse then back into park.

- Bellevue, KY, USA

Mar 062018

Malibu

I have had the car serviced 3 times for the headlights going out on me. I was driving home from work at 930pm and noticed my lights were not on. It was pitch black because I have to go through the park to get home. I almost hit the curb because I could not see. I panicked but I tried the brights and they worked so I used them to get home. The greenwood Chevrolet replaced the head light bulbs 3 times but it has to be electrical being that it went out 3 times in 2 months I haven't even had the car a year! on my way home from the grocery store on 3/6/2018 I almost wrecked because the power steering went out on the vehicle. I attempted to turn and almost ran into the back of the vehicle in front of me. The suspension doesn't work either. As of today I cannot drive at night because I do not have any head lights (that's been for 3 months) I cannot drive the car now because I do not have power steering to drive the car. I'm making payments on a death trap because I almost wrecked twice thank goodness god was with me.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jan 152017

Malibu

High mounted stop lamp, works intermittently, stopped or in motion, (I have read online its a connection at the led high mounted stop lamp).left and right fender stop lamps work correctly. Not part of recall 13036

- Ettrick, WI, USA

Dec 012017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that he had to replace the driver side head lamp several times because it failed to operate without warning. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Nov 122017

Malibu

The low beam lights are constantly going out. Sometimes they will come back on by themselves or if we move things around a bit, but most of the time they stay off. Most of the time it is one or the other, but as of today both of my low beam lights are out. This is a huge safety issue

- Madison, WI, USA