Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Aug 292019

Malibu

TL the contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the rear brake lights seized intermittently. Corning Chevrolet Buick (2087 solano St, corning, ca 96021, (530) 838-4371) was contacted and stated that the VIN was not included in a recall. The contact replaced the bulbs multiple times, but the vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (service brakes, hydraulic, electrical system, exterior lighting, vehicle speed control, electronic stability control). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000.

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Aug 222019

Malibu

Passenger low beam headlights keep going out on 2009 Chevy Malibu. I have replaced the bulbs, and the pigtail harness 3 times a year for the last 4 years.

- Millbrook, AL, USA

Jul 232019

Malibu

Everyone that I know that has a Chevrolet Malibu is having problems with their headlights. I am getting tickets and replacing bulbs every 2/3 weeks. Replacing them constantly is getting expensive and it's getting expensive because I keep getting tickets.

- Thomaston, GA, USA

Mar 182019

Malibu

In the last 5-6 months my passenger side headlight has been going out, I have replaced the light bulb like 4-5 times, the harness adapter to the headlight lightbulb connector and lastly the entire headlight wire harness from the factory and it is still going out after a day or two.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 282019

Malibu

Brake lights stay on while driving and brake light goes off when stepping on the brake pedal. The lights are intermittently working and I've taken the car to get the problem taken care of, but it returns.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 152019

Malibu

Steering wheel locks up in cold weather even after being warmed up for more than 5 minutes. Happened twice, second time I did a normal turn to the right it locked up and had to pull over right away. Always unlocks when restarting the car. Right headlight also doesn't properly work. Changed the light bulb two weeks ago and turned off just today. Checked the bulb and still works. I've researched the problems online and there's been recalls and complaints about both of my problems.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Apr 112019

Malibu

I purchased the car March 14, 2019 from a family member. The front passenger low beam headlight was not working. The prior owner stated they had taken the car in to have the light repaired at least 6 times in since 2009. April 2, 2019 I took the car to clint newell Chevrolet to have the low beam headlight fixed. The problem was the wire that plugs into the light was melted. The repair cost was $172.33. On April 4, 2019 the rear passenger turn signal quit working. I replaced the bulb. April 9, 2019 the passenger tail light quit working. April 11, 2019 I replaced the bulb. As soon as that was done the front passenger low beam headlight quit working again. I checked the low beam fuse and it was fine. I cannot afford $172 again 9 days later for this repair. I have also found online in Chevy forums, this seems to be a problem for many people that own Chevrolet Malibu.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Jun 102018

Malibu

Passenger side low beam keeps going out. I have replaced the bulb numerous times over the past few months

- Fern Park, FL, USA

Mar 042019

Malibu

Takata recall, as I was dropping my daughter off at the bus stop I tried to pull back up to my house and the power steering came on and the wheel was hard to turn while my vehicle was in motion and there was alot of cars coming my way as I was trying to turn. I told my husband about it he went to check that it had power steering fluid in it and it was not low at all then he got in it to drive and it worked just fine. That was a scary experience for me. Another incident when I went to go get my car inspected the third brake light would not come on but when I went to my mother in laws it worked just fine and when I left to go home lastnight it was coming on when I wasn't even pushing the brakes so me and my husband figured it was a shortage in it or the wires need replaced. Someone needs to do something about this before there be an accident. I was doing some research about my vehicle and I seen that it had serveral recalls. The manufacturer recall #: N130036 the NHTSA recall #: 14V252

- Palestine, TX, USA

Dec 312018

Malibu

I have owned my 2009 Chevy Malibu lt since 2010. The passenger side dim headlamp is out for the 3rd time! I have been told that several model years including 2009 that the front end must be removed to fix the headlight. I have paid out of pocket twice, for $170+ & $142+ when I have never had to replace a head light on a car, much less remove the whole front end, then it was fixed and burned out a month later each time. I need to have it fixed, but I know my headlight is good, there is just a design failure in keeping the headlight on.

- Parsons, KS, USA

Aug 032018

Malibu

I have replaced the driver low bean headlight 3 times in 2018 all within 1-2 months of each other. The last time being in Oct 2018 and now its out again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022018

Malibu

The gas tank leaks. And I have met another Chevy Malibu owners with the same problem. And also the headlight on the passenger side keeps going out, and yes I have met plenty of other Chevy owners who have the same problem.

- North Hills, CA, USA

Dec 162018

Malibu

While driving my ESC - enhances stability control light, ABS and traction control lights came on. When I stopped at a light and then tried to drive forward I was able to move my vehicle until the brakes kicked in and started slowing me down. After driving about 5mikes my husband who was driving behind me signaled to pull over. My brake lights were on and when I engaged the brake pedal to come to a stop the brake lights went off. After I released the brakes, and got out of the car with it still running my brake lights came back on.

- Martville, NY, USA

Dec 312016

Malibu

The power door locks engage and disengage at random. When using the unlock button on the key fob or using the button inside the car, the passenger and rear door looks will partially disengage making it hard/impossible to open the door with out manually pulling the lock tab on the door. The electric stability control and traction control will random engage/disengage or display a service message on the cluster screen. The third break light illuminates at random, not always the break is applied. The radio will display random characters while on or go completely blank.

- Mt Sterling, KY, USA

Aug 102017

Malibu

Passenger low beam keeps going out. I've replaced the bulb 3 times in one year, and even changed the housing. This seems to be an issue with several model years of the Malibu.

- Mount Sterling, KY, USA

Dec 132018

Malibu

Low beam passenger side headlight keeps going out, even after replacing multiple times

- Albany, OR, USA

Dec 102018

Malibu

Power steering keeps going out makes it hard to drive straight and make tight turns and my low beams on my headlights keeps going out too. But there is no recall on my car at and it is really dangerous to drive with my family in it.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Dec 072018

Malibu

Passenger side low beam keep going out. Replaced bulb multiple times, still doesnt work. Replaced wiring harness within first week of purchasing vehicle and having repeated problems.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Nov 052018

Malibu

My headlights go out all time N it's very scary when you drive N at night it happens

- Oakdale, LA, USA

Oct 092016

Malibu

Contacted local dealership for recall. They informed me it was lready done, but problem still persists. I purchased vehicle from my mother and she said she never had the work done.. power steering keeps going in and out and is a major safety issue

- Warsaw, IN, USA