Most common solutions:

1. replace engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

Nov 192017

Malibu

click to see larger images

engine knocking

Just the Facts on the car issue, then the Customer service compliant:

Stop at light, knocking noise starts. Thought it was the heat and shut it off. Then hesitation at next light. A mile later, check engine light turns on. Take it home to have my nephew check the car out. He is a tech at a Chevy Dealer, not close to my home. Otherwise, I would have taken it there. Codes checked, P00011 & P00013 - Take to Dealership #1 (with codes from my nephew) and had previous engine work done under warranty and other work - Plus, I bought it there. Service person reported - foreign debris on the screen of the Cam Position Actuators She also reported - either the filter broke, or someone where I had the oil changed (Valvoline) put a rag or bottle cape in my engine and I needed a new one. She continued to advise me to take the car to Valvoline.

After persistent questioning, she suggests an engine flush but no guarantee. Refused Flush - Paid $133. for "diagnostic" Took to Valvoline - They spoke to tech at Dealership #1 who said filter intact but tilted - They viewed the filter, said it was fine but showed me the metallic sparkles in it. They mentioned it was tilted. - They took pictures and they have a video where they said a rag or bottle cap was not near the engine. I have not view this tape. Called GM - Made a compliant against Dealer - They escalate and someone calls back. GM Rep - Take to dealership - Anyone of my choice. Took to another - Do not trust the original. GM Dealership #2 - Said filter had metal parts in it - They said it was crushed - Asked to drop Pain - quoted $350. Dealer #2 - Drops pan and says the following in an email and sent pictures: THE FOLLOWING PICTURES SHOW THE VEHICLES OIL PAN REMOVED AND FOREIGN DEBRIS IN THE BOTTOM. TECHNICIAN BELIEVES THE PLASTIC FROM THE TIMING CHAIN GUIDES AND VISIBLE METAL IN THE OIL ITSELF. They continue to advise me that I need an Engine. Rebuilt is approx: $6000, and $7500. Advise I will call GM back - We are now at the point where I don't know what is going happen.

Now the Customer Service Compliant: The lack of concern and customer service is the worst that I have experienced. My car has 33K miles and as I understand, their warranty is up at 5 years, I just missed it by 2 months. I bought the car at just under 5K and I do not have it 5 years, so, in essence, the way I see it, I paid for a fairly new car and got to drive it 28k miles before needing an engine.

There have been 2 issues with this engine before. The one incident, 6 months prior to the current issue: I stalled approaching a highway. Was never reimbursed for towing ($110) from OnSTAR (which is another story and a complete disaster of customer service) and lost of money since I was on my way to my second job.

There was another issue 8 months prior to that which was under warranty but each time was never offered a loaner. Had to borrow a car, mind you, I was there in between these times for 4 new brakes at $980, which they offered a rental....so, it cost $1000. Plus some recalls which to me equals time spend and lost wages.

This is why a bought a new car, because my old one was too costly and now I am back to where I started. Thanks Chevy!!!!!

The rest of my compliant is that:

The lack of care, concern or understanding of the issue. I use my car to make visits for my job, so it has been difficult to keep borrowing a car. Unfortunately, I can not afford a rental for 4 weeks as of today..

The lack of professionalism by the Service Person at Dealership # when I mentioned that this was the 3rd time with this engine and would never buy a Chevy again, her answer was " it's a machine, it breaks" and offered a rental car since I mentioned that I didn't know it would take 2 days or more and have to work. I told her I wouldn't pay for the rental since it isn't worth the time and money. Her next comment was " it is better to rent a car than to lose a days pay" .

These are the answers you get instead of offering a loaner since I was there 2 times without a car and it was covered under warranty and the time when I had my brakes serviced and paid 1K after all was said and done. It would have been a nice on their part to try to keep customers.

After receiving the call that the oil service company is to blame for needing a new engine. I went to get the car, paid the fee and the service person says "I hope that Valvoline does the right thing". So, she just drops the ball instead of trying to help.

The stress this has created is at it's highest as I have had days of confusion due to trying to get to work appointments and finding time for the logistics for all of this. I have had to turn work down because I do not have a vehicle at the time of the work. I don't know what to do first at times because life has become overwhelming with other issues as well. So, this just compounds daily life in a very negative way.

I have lost total trust in Chevrolet, GM and their Dealerships. I will never ever buy from them again. This was my 3rd Chevy and I bought it because of my other 2 were great. Time to change vehicle companies.

I will make sure to tell (in person or online) my story to anyone that is considering buying a GM Product as their parts are not made well, or you can say, they are made well if you only want to drive your car for just over 33K miles.

Update from Dec 20, 2017: Update: Was advised that I need to tear down the engine (GM said this before but dealer wanted to look at the pan first) quoted $848. and no guarantee that GM would pay for part of the tear down or for the solution. So, it is I would have to pay $350 + $848 then the amount of the repair and nothing in writing. Just that they "might pay" but "may not".

Going to have it towed to another shop since I received a quote for way less for a new engine, if that is what it needs. Who knows, maybe it can be saved but the worst case scenario is still less expensive than $7500 for a new engine plus the oil pan drop of $350 + $848. for the tear down which would equal to $8700.

Never, Ever will I buy a GM Product. Wasted my time and money.

The stress is almost unbearable with trying to go on with daily life, work, home, Family ...etc....

Will give updates when time permits.

- , Rutherford, US