7.5

$950

Most common solutions:

2. replace condenser unit (17 reports)
  3. replace A/C compressor (10 reports)
  4. replace the condenser (7 reports)
  5. replace hose and add "upgrade" bracket (5 reports)
  6. replaced hose and added an "upgrade" bracket (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Aug 132019

Silverado 1500 LTZ V8

The compressor cracked, looked like it threw a rod out of the side, only 60k miles on this truck, very, very expensive to get fixed.

Of course no warranty or recall and no allowance from GM.

- Steve P., Pearl, US

Jul 112019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

Okay here's the issue....My AC seems to have it's own mind. There are times when the AC will NOT get cold...then it gets cold....then not so cold. The AC air IS much COLDER on the passenger side blower and NOT on the driver side. I haven't done anything about this because it's an intermittent issue. My AC runs casually warmer on HOT DAYS....which blows.

- Mace Matthew C., Centerport, NY, US

Jun 242019

Silverado 1500

It will kick in once in a while. then shut off all on its own.

- Deborah C., Deford, US

Jun 152018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

This is our 2nd truck the first one had a leak. In the engine block at 1500 miles ,3 months of wrangling and 2 attempts to fix it / we got a new truck that cost me another $1800.00 ! Then the a/c compressor goes out l have done both but baby this truck , and now one year after paying for compressor the a/c goes out again now it's a hose that's cracked another $800.00 wants next ? I will not buy another Chevy.

- Ron B., Manteca, US

Jun 052019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

This is starting to become a problem truck ,replaced a/c compressor 1 year ago now the high side hose leaked all Freon out and it cost $800.00. They knew that there was a problem with the hose a year ago, it should have been replaced then.

- Ron B., Manteca, US

Jun 022015

Silverado 1500 LS 4.3L

new and all these problems, this 2nd time ac has broken and i have only 30000 miles on it , ernest

- Sharon B., Four Oaks, NC, US

May 222019

Silverado 1500 LT V8

The worse part is that Chevy knows it used defective parts, but doesn't apparently give a damn that it's caused an expensive fix to their customers. My damn truck isn't even paid off yet and now I have to pay $1200 to fix something that wasn't my fault and should have lasted the life of the damn truck which should have been way over 5 years. I'm 59 years old and a die hard Chevy fan but, oh hell NO. Not anymore. This truck has cost me $1400 in repairs over the winter for faulty plug wires, again not my fault but nothing is ever under warranty. Now, $1200 to fix a faulty a/c condenser. I'm ditching this bitch and buying another brand of vehicle.

- Donna H., Decatur, IL, US

May 082019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

click to see larger images

A/C stopped working A/C stopped working

A/C quit working one day, it was 57 degrees outside and mind you it was in the -20 to -30 range most of the winter so 57 feels hot lol. I did some research and found out the condenser was leaking. I contacted Chevrolet because I have already had many problems with the truck a couple months after purchasing it. I pretty much was told to kick rocks. So I replaced it myself in my driveway. Cost in total about $280. Chevrolet wanted $1400 to replace it. Needless to say, the truck has less than 100k miles, I've had trucks with twice that and twice its age still blow ice cold AC.

- Dylan M., Miles City, US

Apr 302019

Silverado 1500 LT 4.3L

i own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with a 4.3 engine. It lost its freon charge April 30. We took it to our mechanic because we found out from the dealer it is no longer warrantied. Our mechanic told us right off the bat that he knew from experience that Chevrolet had a terrible problem with its ac system. He change out the upper hose and recharged the system. It blew cool for all of 3 days and it was warm again. Took it back to him and the lower line was replaced and charged. Again here it is 5 days later and no ac, just warm air.

Who pays $35000.00 for a truck and then is expected to fork out hundreds of dollars for issues that should not be taking place. I am so angry with GM I could wring some folks necks over this.

I have bought Chevy from 18 to 61 years old but will not buy again. They have lost this patron for good. We don't know how much more will have to be spent to get this right or if it can be made right, because the replacement parts are still the same crap. They just can't see how angry I am with this cheap and worthless crap they sell to hard working people. Worst of all, I still owe 14000 dollars on this crapping truck.

So sorry I bought this Silverado. Please take my advice and do not purchase Chevy. They will not make it good either. I wish I could tell the world this bad news for all who are thinking about these trucks and cars from Chevy. We still have no ac two weeks later.

- Larry J., Collinsville, MS, US

Oct 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

AC started leaking at 61K miles (a thousand miles after the warranty expired!). Dealership diagnosed the issue and offered to fix it for more than double what I eventually paid to fix it ($714). I initially believed that they were lying about the diagnosis (it took a couple of months before the warm air was all that would blow). Thinking maybe I'm too late to be involved in the class action suit.

- Christopher R., Magnolia, TX, US

Dec 112018

Silverado 1500 LD 5.3L

I am a victim of the Silverado 1500 AC leak and hot air issues.

- Chris K., Seattle, WA, US

Apr 012019

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

A/C doesn't blow cold air. Apparently this is a common issue. There should be a recall or at least a technical bulletin and the dealership should be responsible for covering the cost of the common problem...but instead I'm out $900 for a known issue.

- Kevin J., Glen Burnie, MD, US

Mar 092019

Silverado 1500

Would like to join class action suit against GM to have them pay for the repairs to my AC unit.

- Steve W., Alexandria, LA, US

Nov 092018

Silverado 1500 WT 6

AC is not working. I try to add Freon but it leaks from behind the compressor.

- Harry P., Big Spring, TX, US

Sep 152017

Silverado 1500 LT V8

Out of nowhere my A/C stopped working. Figured since it was soon to be winter, that I would deal with the problem in the Spring/Summer (living in Michigan). Summer came, I began investigating noticed that the AC Compressor was not spinning. So I thought I needed a new one. I spoke with a few people and they advised to attempt re-charging the free-on (that worked for one day). The fact that it only worked for a day told me that there was a leak somewhere. I didn't have the tools to look for a leak. I took the truck in to have a shop look for the leak (diagnosis was ~$150). It was found the that AC Condenser had a leak and to fix that the shop wanted to charge me $1400. I spoke to my father-in-law and he said he could install a new one for me. I went to a parts store, found a new Condenser (~$160 w/Warranty) and he installed it with my Uncle. After installation, I took the truck back to the shop to have them re-charge my AC system (~$150).

GM should really think about standing by their products. I could not believe that a truck that is only 3 years old could have this problem.

- Steven K., Fenton, MI, US

Apr 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Poor design of a tubing connection between the condensing coil and the oil cooler circuit. There is inherent flexing and vibration through the oil cooling circuit it's only connection to the A/C condensing coil is a very thin soldered connection. This aluminum tubing is so thin it is difficult, but not impossible to repair. When mine failed I ordered a new condensing coil from Canada and replaced it myself. I analyzed the failure and have a corrective fix. It is nothing more than a bit of firm rubber and a couple of screws to prevent flexing between the cooling circuit and the condensing coil. Delco could fabricate something like this for less than $1.50. They could give it away, and they should because they have to own their poor design, or sell it for cost + 100%. They wouldn't make much profit but, they would certainly do what is is Right! Correct a poor design and prevent excessive cost to customers. A typical condensing coil cost from $800 to $1,000. to change out at a dealership. I changed my coil for $89.00, slightly more than 1 lb. of R-134A and 2 hours time. If mine ever fails again, I will simply do a low temp solder job and reinstall the same coil. It will cost me about $15.00 plus 1.5 hours of my time. Again this was a penny wise and pound foolish decision by a bean counter at Delco/Gm Heads should roll !!!!

- Howard N., Lumberton, TX, US

Jul 152017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

There should have been a recall on the air-coil on these vehicle. I have had to replace 2 and I've only got 157000 mile on truck, all highway.

- John W., Louisville, KY, US

Aug 172018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC is now broken. I am frustrated and ready to trade the truck in. I take excellent care of my vehicles and have always owned a GM. I think that the AC issues should be a RECALL issue.

Aug 022018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC stopped working again, blowing hot air. Brought back to dealership, they stated I need to replace the condenser this time for an additional $1030.00. I told them not to bother. When I picked up the truck, the AC was blowing cold as they had put more Freon in it.

Jul 172018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC stopped working less than a year after replacing the compressor. Dealership said Freon was low, they ran die thru the system and could not find a leak. Got truck back and ac was running.