Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Apr 022019

Silverado 1500

Factory installed running boards become unattached to vehicle due to holding clip nuts rusting at weld. Luckily personal inspection (to track down a nuisance rattle) found failure before it became unattached. Chevy only solution was for me to buy new running boards (which prime Chevrolet parts department said contained the same type of mounting hardware). No individual replacement parts were offered.

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Mar 192018

Silverado 1500

I was driving to work in the morning with no other traffic on the road and randomly the passenger side rear window blew out. It was winter and the rear defroster was on at the time. I smelled burning wires and shut everything off but my headlights and heard a loud pop when the window blew out. This happened at 4am while driving on the highway.

- North Grosvenordale, CT, USA

Dec 302018

Silverado 1500

Leaving a chiefs game in Kansas City I was waiting in traffic. We slowly moved forward and my brake pedal went to the floor and would not stop the vehicle I ran into the truck in front of me. There was no damage to his bumper but I got a dent the size of a baseball. Later on the way home I relised that it was still doing in at low rpms so I took it to the dealership amd they said my vacume pump was going out!! at 45000 miles"??" the mechanic said it was a very common problem.

- Grove, OK, USA

Jul 012018

Silverado 1500

Vehicle is 2 years old 26K miles & black paint is flaking. Looks like white overspray where paint has flaked. White spots everywhere. Metal is exposed. Never had a vehicle flake paint like this. I do not drive on gravel roads. Unexceptable for a vehicle of this age & price.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Sep 162016

Silverado 1500

Steering is bad and it shack alot the bkakes are not that good I slip on the car in front of

- Menifee, CA, USA

Jun 122018

Silverado 1500

My truck has large spots of paint chipping off all over the truck. Hood, cab, tailgate and sides. It was garage kept with no exposure to hail or chemicals. The service manage at the dealership admitted it was a defect in the paint but they refused to cover it under warranty.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jun 102016

Silverado 1500

The paint on body of truck chips and scratches as well as has deep swirls. It is just now a year old and the front end, hood, sides all have been subjected to chips and scratches that should not be happening at all. I hand wash my vehicle so it is not caused by a car wash. The paint in other blogs with Chevrolet has been known to be very faulty due to epa regulations. Any other car I have had has never had this issue. My daughter has a black Jeep, no problems, I had a black Jeep, no problems. I paid the most I have ever paid for a vehicle again black and the paint job is horrible! sadly it is something well known for Chevrolet.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 042017

Silverado 1500

We are an automobile service center. Our customer dropped their vehicle off on a particularly rainy day. The inside of the glass was covered with thick condensation even though the defroster mode with A/C on was selected. On high speed, there was very little airflow from the vents. Upon lowering the driver's window, the fan speed, noise and flow all increased dramatically. An inspection behind the seats revealed some items but not enough to cover the entire rear of the cab. External inspection found an outlet vent behind the driver's seat. Back inside the truck there was no inside or inlet vent to be found. Removal of the carpeting on the rear wall of the cab revealed a heavy, rubber backed insulating material that effectively sealed off the vent. Removal of a small portion of the insulating material and the carpeting improved airflow immediately and effectively defrosted the glass. The vehicle was parked while we experienced this issue. It is our opinion that this defect is potentially hazardous to drivers both from a visibility stand point and the possibility of increased carbon monoxide levels due to improper cab ventilation.

- North Hampton, NH, USA

Oct 062016

Silverado 1500

I purchased my truck in August 2016. I noticed a vibration from 70-80 mph. Very noticeable in the steering wheel and more recently in the driver seat. It's been to the dealer twice. They picoscoped (service tool) to isolate the vibration. Performed lots of balancing, new tires, drive shaft, differential (ring & pinion). Vibration more noticeable than ever. But they claim it's within spec. They have a field service engineer meeting my car at the dealer on Wednesday 11/09/2016, but the dealer is already setting me up for disappointment. This prompted me to search on line today where I found "Chevy shakes". the stories match my experience completely. I love everything about my truck until I hit 75, then I become so infuriated that my $50K truck with 2,700 miles apparently isn't going to be fixable from what I've read. I wouldn't know what to tell a potential buyer if for some reason I had to sell it. It clearly has a problem. If I'm told it can't be fixed, I will demand my money back. I'm at 75 every day, and the vibration isn't only annoying, but it numbs your hands from the shaking.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 172016

Silverado 1500

2800 mileage since new because I have problems fueling the tank. I cannot get fuel to pump into the tank correctly. It's been a problem since I purchased the truck. I've taken it to many different gas stations thinking it was a gas pump issue. The pump handle clicks off when trying to fill the tank. It makes no difference how fast you try to fill the tank or how deep the nozzle is inserted into the tube. I had a Chevrolet service person at the local dealership try to fill the tank to verify my issue. He noticed there is a problem. They checked for a "tsb" and there is one detailing a replacement of the fuel tank. Service advisor stated they would call after getting in the part in 3 days. They never called back. I called back after a week because they never returned my complaint issue. She stated that they cannot get the parts to fix the problem from GM. I do not understand how this is not a recall. I must fill my tank with a gas can to get it to take any gas. A major inconvenience and fuel spillage. I like the truck. I just can't fuel it with a gas pump.

- North Vernon, IN, USA