Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

Aug 142019

Silverado 2500

Manufacturer recall numbern192268490 NHTSA recall number19V645 on August 14, 2014, I was driving the 2017 Chevy Silverado 4X4 work truck on a rural state route in holmes county, Ohio. I had pulled off on the side of the road to pick up my traffic counting equipment. Once I was finished, I pulled into a driveway to turn around. I began to back out of the drive when the brake pedal went rock hard, I lost all pedal and had no brakes. I hit the guardrail that was directly behind me when I couldn't stop. No damage to the guardrail, but plenty of damage to my truck. Obviously, I didn't think this was right so the very next day I took the truck to progressive Chevrolet. After techs had a chance to look over the vehicle, they said the vacuum pump was defective and it was replaced at no cost to me. That's all well and good, but had the vacuum pump not failed, I would not have hit the guardrail.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 272019

Silverado 2500

Fuel injector or fuel pump does not work properly. On two (2) different occasions, months apart, my engine has lost power and the vehicle stalled. Both times at low speeds 10 - 15 mph and low rpms. This has nearly caused me to crash into one vehicle and for another to almost hit me from behind as my car died while making a right hand turn off a busy road. I have had the vehicle towed in twice, but the dealership and GM both say unless they can duplicate the issue they will not fix or replace anything. This vehicle is unsafe and needs to be recalled/reviewed. On top of this, they had to replace the vacuum pump for the brakes and do a software patch update because the backup camera was dangerously bright, especially at night. The camera issue took 2 visits to 2 different dealerships to get resolved. GM is playing the numbers game of hoping for a fine instead of paying to replace any parts. Especially since they are dealing with a pr battle about making cars outside of the usa. They took the bailout money and screwed americans.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 222019

Silverado 2500

I was in an accident on Thursday, August 22 where I slammed into the back of another vehicle on the road. I had at least 40 feet to stop and I literally stood on teh brakes and truck barely slowed down and before colliding with the other vehicle. I received a letter from GM a few months ago saying the brake assist pump may be faulty and that I could get it replaced even though if it were to fail the truck would still brake within "standard". I didnt think anything of it since it wasn't described as an emergency and I thought I would have ti taken care of the next time I took the truck in for service. My wife had commented on my brakes feeling spongy. After the wreck I was so disturbed by how poorly the truck responded to forcibly depressing the brakes pedal that I started researching and I found where NHTSA was investigating this very issue in the 2014-16 Silverado and I feel strongly that my issue should be included in this investigation. The truck should have stopped and I think a recall should be issued. The brakes do no operate within "standard" when the brake assist pump stops working.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 072019

Silverado 2500

At low engine RPM the brake force becomes extremely excessive. While backing down a long boat ramp last week this occurred and my wife could not press hard enough to stop the vehicle resulting in a collision to avoid the vehicle going into the water. I contacted Chevrolet and was told there was no recall on this vehicle.

- Onalaska, WI, USA

Jul 252019

Silverado 2500

The vehicle in motion, at low speeds (under 10 mph), the brakes fail to slow or stop the vehicle until the brake pedal is fully depressed which unexpectedly requires more effort than braking under normal conditions. Even with the pedal fully depressed, it still does not stop the vehicle within the expected stopping range.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jul 202019

Silverado 2500

Backing up my truck, at slow speed down a boat ramp, my brake pedal authority went to zero. I had no brakes during backing my boat in gulf of Mexico. I had to stand on pedal with all of my weight just to slow it long enough so I could put on parking brake. I called dealer to inquire if this was a problem, and they said I had to wait two weeks to even get it in there to look at it. Unacceptable. Loss of braking can kill occupants in these vehicles. In my case, I would have been under water and possibly drowned.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

May 172019

Silverado 2500

Loss of brakes when backing up. On multiple occasions, when I applied the brakes during low speed reverse or when backing down an incline, the brakes became very hard to depress and did not stop the vehicle down until I exerted considerable force with both legs. This has happened both when reversing with a trailer and when reversing without a trailer. The most recent incident occurred on May 17, 2019 when backing a boat and trailer down an incline at a boat launch ramp. I was able to stop the vehicle before it entered the water, but it took considerable force on the brake pedal. I alerted the dealership, kolar Chevrolet duluth, of this safety issue twice in 2018 and again most recently on May 23, 2019. The dealership was unable to duplicate the problem and stated they would not take further action unless they were able to duplicate the issue.

- Hermantown, MN, USA

May 102019

Silverado 2500

Loss of braking in stop and go traffic. Vehicle brakes are extremely difficult to press in slow moving stop and go traffic. The ABS seems to kick in but the vehicle continues to roll forward. Speed would be around 10 mph. Braking is ok at normal highway speeds but losing ablility to brake at low speed. Near miss on rear ending several vehicles.

- Summerield, NC, USA

Mar 012019

Silverado 2500

Not sure where burning smell is coming from. Brakes" engine? tires" after driving longer than 30 miles I can small something, like burning.

- Hillman, MN, USA

Jan 212019

Silverado 2500

I was pulling into wal-mart in white settlement, went to brake to slow down and it felt like the pressure was completely gone causing me to brake harder to stop.

- Whitesettlement, TX, USA

Jan 072019

Silverado 2500

This morning at low speed stop and go traffic and again when low speed parking the black pedal became hard to push and car would not stop properly. Happened both directions while parking. Will take to the dealer this afternoon. Seems to brake fine at higher speeds and slowing from higher speeds. Scary

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 012018

Brakes become stiff and inoperable at low speeds after 2-3 pumps

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Nov 142018

Silverado 2500

Driving slow at drive thru lost power brakes

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Apr 092018

Silverado 2500

Brakes failed when driving slowly in both forward and reverse. This occurred following a period of extensive highway driving. Brake pedal was extremely hard to push and resulted in no braking of vehicle. No trailer towing was involved.

- Rapid City, SD, USA