2.3

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Suburban:

Nov 042017

Suburban

While backing out of my driveway, the spare tire that is stored underneath the vehicle apparently broke free and fell to the street. Closer inspection revealed that the metal cable, used in conjunction with a winch to secure the full size spare tire, failed due to what appears to be corrosion. Since there was nothing else to secure the tire underneath the vehicle, it simply fell off. I realized it had fallen off only because I had been backing up slowly and both heard it fall, and backed into the tire on the street. My concern is that if this had occurred at high speed on a highway, this tire (weighing approx. 40 lbs.), may have fallen off without me even knowing, and careened in any direction potentially causing a crash and injuring somebody. As far as I can see, there is no secondary safety feature that Chevy has provided to secure this spare tire in case this cable breaks. As stated earlier, the corrosion underneath this vehicle is incredible, and this thin metal cable is not sufficient to store this heavy tire. Not only did the cable corrode, by the rim on the spare tire is destroyed, as is the plate utilized to hold the rim in place with the cable. I realize my vehicle is high in mileage, however, this problem should be addressed due to the number of these vehicle still on the road. I'm sure this does not only affect this particular vehicle and year Chevy has produced.

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

Jul 282015

Suburban

I have been working in the 9100 keystone ave. Office building for the passed two and a half months. For over a month now there has been a black Chevrolet Suburban parked in the spot next to mine. It hasn't been touched for over a month. If it is a stolen vehicle I want to report it so that it can be returned to the owner.

- Greencastle, IN, USA