8.3

$1,010

Most common solutions:

2. replace condenser (14 reports)
  3. replace compressor (5 reports)
  4. new rear evaporator (2 reports)
  5. replace condenser and freon (2 reports)
  6. had to buy the part and have dealer install, almost a grand (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Jul 102017

Tahoe LTZ V8

These pieces of crap at General Motors have a nationwide shortage of condensers that are leaking on all 2015 and later a/c. They are keeping quite about all of it. My Chevy dealer said they have lots of vehicles sitting that can't be sold until the condensers are replaced. I'm so damn mad I could just lose it. It is hot as hell in Alabama with humidity like a steam sauna. I am done with GM sh*t and Chevrolet. If I can sue them, trust me I will!

- Sherry A., Tuscaloosa, US

Jun 122017

Tahoe LTZ V8

AC stopped working. It wasn't blowing out hot air, but I called it "luke-cold". I took it to my mechanic and they diagnosed it as a hole in the condenser and that it should be covered under warranty and to take it to the dealer. I called the dealer and at 56K I'm outside of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I then went to take it back to the shop when the shop called to say they'd looked into it more and there is a nation-wide back-order on Tahoe condensers. That's when I started to dig into the issue and found this site. It looks like this is a big issue and hopefully will be covered under a recall soon. The bad news is that I have a 12 hour road trip coming up in 2 weeks with two kids. That is NOT going to be fun with no AC.

- Michael O., Doylestown, PA, US

Jun 022017

Tahoe LT V8

2015 Tahoe - a/c condenser is cracked. Nationwide back order for part and no idea when I might get my truck back. In the meantime, the loaner they have available is a Camaro. Sounds nice, and I'm thankful to have something to drive in the interim, but with a family of 5 and a husband who's 6'9", it definitely is not practical or comfortable.

- emwrlw, Wimauma, FL, US

May 012017

Tahoe LT

Same issue as all the rest:

1.) A/C stops working 2.) Mechanic replaces freon but can't find a leak in the lines 3.) A/C is blowing hot air again after 3 days; freon completely gone 4.) Mechanic runs dye through lines to find the leak, replaces freon again 5.) A/C is blowing hot air again after 2 days; freon completely gone 6.) Mechanic notes a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and widespread complaints of issue with compressor...suggests browbeating Chevy dealer over the issue, given how new the truck is. 7.) Issue raised with Chevy dealer...no response, as yet (not expecting anything positive)

Probably the last GM vehicle I will ever purchase. Going back to the Japanese or Germans (much as I want to buy American).

- Sven J., Mc Lean, VA, US

Jun 022017

Tahoe LT V8

Heat in the Tahoe is extremely inconsistent. One minute 70 degrees is comfortable, the next it's burning up. On cold days we have to turn the heat to 80 to get it warm and then in the afternoon, down to 68 before the "heat" would go off and cold air would blow. Usually turning off the a/c, waiting a while and then turning back on would work, but when the condenser cracked all fixes failed.

- emwrlw, Wimauma, FL, US

Apr 202017

Tahoe LT V8

AC failed in April. Took to dealer and they said it would cost $2000 because it was just outside of warranty. I asked my own mechanic to research and he said he couldn't find the condenser anywhere. At that time, I started to research. I contacted Chevy directly and they said they would cover $1800 of the cost if the work was done at the dealer. Issue now is finding the part. They are severely back ordered. My dealer has 13 on order just for one dealer. Taking about 60 days to fulfill the part.

- Tom B., Bellevue, US

Mar 222017

Tahoe LTZ V8

Purchased new model Chevy Tahoe 3 years ago and A/C not working. I live in the northeast and only use the AC 6 months/year. Was told the part is on back-order for at least 10 weeks - due to the number of 2015 Chevy Tahoes with this same issue that need the part. This is obviously a company wide issue that needs to be addressed since 2015 was the brand new model for the Tahoe. Was told the part will be over $2000 (on a 3 year old car!!!). Hoping my dealer goes to bat for me w/GM and I get reimbursed for the part. But even with that I will have to wait until the summer to get the part and will have NO A/C. This is my 3rd and last GM car for sure.

- Mj C., St Davids, US

May 112017

Tahoe

gm should cover this. and the answer of not letting us know when the parts are coming in is total BS

- Steve L., Orange, CA, US

May 052017

Tahoe LT V8

I'm a big fan of the Chevy SUV line up. Past owner of 3 Suburbans and each model better than the last. Super reliability. However I'm concerned of this Tahoe. The A/C just stopped working and I see quite a few similar issues. Hopefully they cover the repair. No way A/C should fail in this day and age. I suspect a larger issue as I had inquired that the heat was not consistent. One day 70 is comfortable, the next day feels like 85, the next day feels like 60. Wish me luck, but this could be a critical point in my GM lifespan.

Update from Aug 13, 2017: Update. After 2 visits to the dealer, they found a very tiny crack-hole in the rear AC line. The cost to fix estimated $880 plus tax. I passed and will seek alt solution. Two weeks later I'm contacted by lawyer group asking about a class action lawsuit on GM for failing to fix this known situation. Poor quality lines, under vehicle exposed to the elements that easily cracks, losing coolant and in many cases ruining the compressor.

- Jay C., Saint Albans, VT, US

Apr 192017

Tahoe LTZ

AC has stopped working, part number 84211191 is on back order and dealership does not know when they'll have it. Another dealership has 6-7 people waiting on same part, some as long as 5-6 weeks. With warm weather upon us, we need to get the AC Fixed.

Update from May 6, 2017: still no ETA on the arrival of the part needed to fix the AC

Update from Aug 11, 2017: we had to pay for the part, luckily we were able to get it after waiting only about 45 days.

- Brian C., Powell, OH, US

Mar 302017

Tahoe LTZ

This vehicle is young and expensive, there should be no way the condenser is bad. The worst part is the replacement is on national back order and the dealership says I will get a postcard once the part comes is available. Are you kidding? A postcard? Checked aftermarket parts and they are not available either. Something needs to be done.

- Kurt D., Severna Park, MD, US

Apr 192017

Tahoe LT V8

I bought a brand new 2015 chevy Tahoe and after 10 months with 26,000 miles my ac stop working. so I took the car to the dealer and they found that the ac condenser was leaking . since the car was under warranty they replace the condenser for free. after the part was replaced 8 months later with 46000 miles i got the same problem again but this time the dealer say that they don't have the part in stock and when i call GM they told me that the part is in national backorder and they don't know exactly when part gonna be available . so I'm stuck with $75000 car that i can not drive because the ac don't work and its summer time here in Nyc and the weather is really hot almost 85 degree . and its been 2 weeks already that I'm waiting for the part and now GM telling me that the it will take up to 3 months to get the condenser which is ridiculous because i have to work with the car to pay my bills . i still have to make the car and insurance payment on time . i regret why i bought this car and GM is the worst car manufacture to deal with. i just cant believe that all GM 2015 and up SUV got the same problem WITH THE CONDENSER but they don't wanna do any recall .

- bigmo, Bronx, US

Apr 012017

Tahoe LTZ

We love our dealership service department. They are very efficient and great customer service! We did take the Tahoe in and found that the AC issue is very common in 2015's and it is so common, the part they need to fix it is on a week backorder!

- Dianne S., Ada, OK, US

Sep 052016

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

Paid close to 70k for this vehicle, air stopped working properly. If it's 70 degrees out in the morning or at night, when the vehicle is moving it seems to cool a little. Will not cool when stationary. Weather is currently 95 degrees most of the time during the day. Out of Warranty. Just had steering column replaced. I feel like a made a huge mistake.

- tahoeltz@npr, New Port Richey, FL, US

Aug 032016

Tahoe LT 5.3L

This SUV lives in Michigan. No way should it only last 2 years. Plus I had to pay to replace it as my warranty was up. Too many miles

- Michael H., Sparta, MI, USA

Aug 222016

Tahoe LTZ V8

The AC stopped working in the front and then the rear. It was low on freon. Then a week later it completely blew hot and brought to dealer. They fixed it and it stopped working 3 days later. Of course they say AC is another part they didn't repair. Total cost is $1600. Will never purchase another Tahoe again. I have had the sunroof leak, console fall apart and trim come off. This is my second 2015 Tahoe because the first one's steering column locked up. This is the worst SUV I have ever owned. For $63,000 I expect more than this. The dealers are so backed up in service because Chevy is junk I had to bring it to GMC for repairs after suffering in heat of 100 degrees for two weeks. No thanks, never again will I buy Chevy and to think I was once a loyal customer and that's all I drove. My neighbors both owned Chevy suburbans and have had similar AC problems, they both got rid of their suburbans also.

- Telesia B., Des Allemands, LA, USA

Jun 292016

Tahoe LT

Really disappointed that this expensive vehicle would have an issue like AC going out at 2 years old. And of course it is out of warranty. I live in the Pacific NW so only use AC in the spring and summer, so it has not even seen a lot of use. But when you need it, you need it. I have not taken it in as I have not had time so I do not know what this will set me back yet. Again this is not something that should go out in such a short time so I am truly irritated and disappointed in Chevy. This was my first Chevy, but given this issue and a couple others I am not happy about it might just be my last. I am sad that it seem Chevy does not stand behind it's product.

- Susan H., Bellingham, WA, USA

Mar 052015

Tahoe LT

Purchased 2015 Tahoe for over 60k and the Heat/Ac does not work properly. When it is 50 degrees or lower and I have the fan on or off, the temperature that comes into the cabin through the vents is extremely HOT. When I turn on the fan the A/C automatically comes on.

A/C should not be the Default! If I left it on when I shut the car off, I understand, but when the a/c button is off and I restart the car, push the on/off button to on - the A/C comes on. The A/C is very slow to cool and sometimes stops blowing cold air.

I have had this problem looked at by the dealer and they say no code came up. I brought it back and had them look at it again and they said they found the AC line had a leak and they fixed it. I found it odd that a leak in the A/C line would make the fan blow Hot air, but they said that would fix it. BUT IT DID NOT. Same Problem right out of the dealership.

Long Island, NY

- Barbara T., Bohemia, NY, USA

May 202015

Tahoe LT V8

I've owned this vehicle for 4 months and it's the biggest POS I've ever purchased!! It's in the shop constantly with different things going on. I've HAD IT!! I want this car replaced!!!!!! DO NOT waste your hard earned money on this POS SUV!!!

- Shannon E., Sour Lake, TX, USA

Dec 182015

Tahoe 5.3L

air/heat controls change up and down when cold

On cold starts the ac/heater temps and fan speeds change on their own, even after trying to change auto,sync or speeds, turning key off. Usually keeps changing up and down for about an hour.

2 dealers say if no error code or check engine light there is no history recorded so they can only try and reproduce the problem. Disconnected both batteries to reset the truck with no changes.

- Howard S., Kempner, TX, USA