8.3

$1,050

Most common solutions:

2. replace condenser (14 reports)
  3. replace compressor (5 reports)
  4. new rear evaporator (2 reports)
  5. had to buy the part and have dealer install, almost a grand (1 reports)
  6. replace condenser and freon (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Apr 212018

Tahoe LT

2015 Chevy Tahoe bought in Dec 2017, first hot day in April 2018 and AC does not work. Now reading all these AC issues, what a disgrace, very disappointed. Chevy wants 150 just to diagnose and notified me that I am right outside the warranty window. I will never buy another GM vehicle.

- Theresa D., Franklinville, NJ, US

Sep 012017

Tahoe LT 5.2L

AC went out during a hot day, luckily I had an extended warranty.

- Anthony D., Warner Robins, US

Jul 312018

Tahoe LS 3L

AC went out on our three year old Tahoe....There is a special coverage from Chevy on the condenser but not the compressor and they want $1300 to repair it. Not worth spending $60,000 on a vehicle that will have these kinds of issues after only three years. This is after having issues with our backup camera, rear dome light, exhaust sensors, etc. It looks like the AC is an issue that many people are having.

- Jeff L., Riversdie, US

Jun 132018

Tahoe LT 5.3L V8

AC went out in our 2015 Tahoe on an unusually hot day. The Chevy dealership quoted over $1300 for the repair - after googling and finding out that this was a common and known issue, the dealership agreed to do the repair for $550. Literally within 2 weeks of paying $550 out of pocket, we received a letter from GM for customer reimbursement, but oh, conveniently we are over the mileage.... and it doesn't stop there! Fast forward to June 2018, AC is out AGAIN! Again on an over 100 degree day, but this time with three kids in the car and no AC! Now its the compressor, but supposedly this is "unusual" and I'm sure it's unrelated (eye roll). Now another $1900 quote that the dealership will repair for $617 out of pocket.... this is a scam! GM is taking us all for a ride on their know defect! And to think, we were going to trade up to a Suburban. No thanks, GM! We won't be buying another GM product again and suggest you don't either. Seems the problem is complicated by the fact that the transmission cooling is run through the same system! Apparently you can't own a 3 year old car and expect that AC should still be working! Yes, we've now had our condenser replaced and 8 months later the compressor needs to be replaced!

- Jessica W., Fair Oaks, CA, US

Jul 252017

Tahoe LT

July 2017 ac not working in Texas... $1,000 to fix... now less than 9 months later ac out again.... new condenser is under mech. warranty but may have to pay labor again at $600 and hope it's not the compressor...

Update from Apr 23, 2018: Had ac done today... second set of seals... my mech replaced seals and freon at no cost... not even the labor... yeahhhhh....

- Doris H., Terrell, TX, US

Oct 162017

Tahoe LT 5.3L

It happened last fall but after reading up, this appears to be a very common issue that should probably fall into the defective product recall. I was hoping a recall might happen before the summer but I guess not. Anytime I see a 2015 or newer Tahoe out I ask the driver if they have had problems. 75% say they had problems and did not realize it was such a common problem.

- Chris R., Cullman, AL, US

Aug 012017

Tahoe LT 5.4L Flex

Ok, so after digging around I found a great many unhappy Chevy/GM customers unhappy as I am with their A/C issues! I now feel better I am not alone....yippy!

November 2017 I got a Recall letter in mail in regards to the A/C condenser/compressor/issues if recently learned is an epidemic. Great I thought, they will fix it! WRONG.... Unfortunately for me, I had the letter in a pile, as most of us do, I opened important stuff first. I got to that letter in January 2018... I own a 2105 Tahoe LT which I once loved!

Back in August 2017 I began having A/C issues all of a sudden. I had it looked at by my local mechanic who found the refrigerant to be low.... naturally he charged it up. Off I went with once again cold A/C. Well that lasted about a month, then repeated the process 3 more times until I was able to schedule time to take the POS in for further diagnosis. It was discovered like many of you, I not only have a leak in the condenser but one in the compressor as well. Awesome news.....

Alas come January I opened the recall letter which states (paraphrasing) 2015 and newer models have been found to have defective Condensers and "if under 60,000 miles and less than 5 years old it would be covered to take a look at. Well, I F'ed I figured as I had just broke 60K. Of course when i began the issue I was under the mileage. So I called the number on said recall and explained the situation and that I had receipts of said charges and miles, at that time, etc... Sorry, you are over the miles said the gentleman whom I could barely understand due to him speaking English with a terrible foreign accent.... I figured right, I/m F'ed.

He suggested bringing it in and having them diagnose the issue and If it is the condenser they will see what can be done in collaboration with the dealer. Fat chance.... Brought it in today, as time permitted me to completely waste my time today! Dealer service personnel advised it would cost approx. $135 just to diagnose the issue and then approx at least $1000 if it is the condenser to fix. Would the $135 be deducted from the repair i asked just for fun....NOPE! He also said if you are over 60K he can guarantee Chevy will not pay for it no matter what the guy on the phone told me.. GREAT I thought....

Well while I'm here, I also have a recall for an airbag issue.. No problem. I also have these damn dome lights flashing every time I break, signal right, left, etc.... I read it was a fault in circuit somewhere and could be remedied with a different bulb.... Can we put a bulb in there... NOPE, we'll need to replace all 3 domes, front, middle and back... approx $400.00... the bulbs can't be replaced he said.... That's funny, so what I read was incorrect I said? I'm not sure what you read sir (he was polite)... So I replied... So you mean to tell me if a light goes out the whole fixture needs to be replaced? yup he said... BS i said...

End of story: Airbag issue reprogrammed, my lights still flash, and I have no A/C.. FML! My SH-box ride went in clean and shiny and came out with mechanic or other finger prints all over the hood and front fender as well....icing on my Shi-cake...

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated at this point !

- Paul C., Sunrise, US

Feb 232018

Tahoe

This is the 2nd time that this Tahoe has had a major ac problem and lost all of the refrigerant. The first time happened right after warranty was out and was a failed refrigerant line.....at 40K miles and was $600. This time, the whole rear evaporator has failed just like others that I see online. I can't believe it. What a piece of junk AC system. I'm ready to trade it in on a Sequoya. I love the Tahoe ride and drive, but my 2000 Dodge Ram is much more reliable than this Tahoe. Two separate AC system failures! I'm over it.

- scott 3006, Sweetwater, US

Sep 012017

Tahoe LTZ V8

Same AC Compressor issue as all the rest. Completely disappointed with Chevy's lack of customer service in handling this issue, which is clearly a widespread national issue (A/C Compressor Failure):

1.) A/C stops working 2.) Mechanic does vacuum test and replaces refrigerant ($200) freon 3.) A/C is blowing hot air again after 3 days; refrigerant completely gone 4.) Mechanic runs dye through lines to find the leak, replaces refrigerant again and states the problem is compressor failure ($200) again 5.) The overall fix would be to replace the compressor ($1,000) but there are no compressors to be found, the part is on National Backorder because of the widespread problem. 6.) Leave the shop without repair and A/C is blowing hot air again after 3 days. 7.) Issue raised with Chevy "customer support" and dealer...told the vehicle out of warranty, they are aware of the widespread compressor problem and NO they refuse to help in any way financially. I even offer to buy the part if they would just cover the labor, which I was told NO again.

Now not only is this comfort problem, but it is also a safety issue. Under heavy humidity (welcome to PA) you cannot defog the windshield for better visibility.

This is a $70,000 luxury vehicle. It is not even 3 years old. Living in PA, the A/C is only used 6 months out of the year and the heat the other 6 months. This IS a faulty part, that Chevy/GM refuses to acknowledge!!! Probably the last GM/Chevy vehicle I will ever purchase. You have lost a once loyal customer. Over the last 15 years I have had 3 Chevy Tahoe's, 1 Chevy Suburban and 1 Chevy 2500 Diesel Silverado. The way you treat your loyal customers is despicable.

I am also contacting a lawyer on Monday. My research has shown a firm that is possibly doing a class action suit over this issue. Here is the link to their article and contact information: https://www.consumerclasslawyersblog.com/2017/08/01/bunch-hot-air-ac-gmc-chevy-trucks-simply-not-work/

Hope this information helps any others going through the same problem.

- Jace S., Collegeville, PA, US

May 162016

Tahoe LT V6

I took my 2015 tahoe in bc my AC stopped working after using it for one summer,I purchased the tahoe late August 2015, had the AC condenser replaced in May of 2016 at 25k miles. It is now December 2017 and we're back at it, the AC condenser is broken again and needs to be replaced and I'm having issues with GM covering since i am at 62k miles. Why do these condensers only work a few months at best . I live in Washington DC where we have 3 months of hot weather, this Tahoe hasn't been able to sustain more than 3-4 months of AC usage without breaking down and now GM is trying to stick me with the bill. What should I do?

- tiffj, Washington, US

Dec 112017

Tahoe LT V6

Purchase car brand new August 2015 had to get AC condenser replaced in May 2016 at 25k miles . AC has gone out again at 62k miles Dec 2017

- tiffj, Washington, US

Sep 182017

Tahoe LT V8

2015 Tahoe. Just around 38,000 miles, the AC just started blowing out hot air. Brought it into the dealership to have it looked at and they said that all of the coolant had drained out. So, they refilled it and put a dye in it to check for leaks and didn't see any leak within an hour. Had an oil change coming up soon anyhow so they told me to drive it around and see how it does by the time I bring it back in a week or two for the next Oil Change. Well, three days later, AC stopped working again on a long hot trip to New Jersey with a kid in the backseat. Definitely not okay! A car this new should not be having any air conditioning issues at all! So I called the dealership yesterday and they told me to bring it back in today. I'm guessing they'll tell me it's the compressor. I'm just hoping that if it finally gets fixed, that it won't keep having the same problem again! Are all of the compressors bad? What the hell is the deal here? I can't believe it hasn't been a recall yet after reading all the comments about this on this site. I'm just wondering how many people have had the problem too but haven't found this site to report it on. Hoping to find some answers soon and hoping it won't cost an arm and a leg. Hoping something will be covered under my extended warranty.

- Erica Z., Taunton, US

Mar 042017

Tahoe LTZ V8

The AC started blowing hot air. The AC was recharged at first visit, and within 3 days the Tahoe AC was blowing hot air again. I took the Tahoe back for servicing the AC, and the compressor, valve core and low pressure hose was changed our for $1290.00. Within a month the AC was blowing hot air again. The low pressure hose was found to have a pin hole leak. The hose was replaced again. Within a few days the AC was blowing hot air again. The same hose was replaced a third time. The AC started blowing hot air again after 30 days from last hose replacement. The Tahoe is in the shop again for AC service as I type this. The reason given again for the AC blowing hot air is the same hose has 10 pin hole leaks in it. Each hose has been purchased from Selman Chevrolet and are said to be Chevy factory hoses.

- David M., Anaheim, US

Sep 032017

Tahoe LS

The AC stopped working and only blows HOT Air. We have 100 degree weather here in Dallas TX and need the AC. I have seen a lot of other complaints with the same issue will call our Dealership or go straight to GM. This is not OKAY!

- Reyna R., Ferris, US

Sep 132017

Tahoe LT 5.3L

My A/C stopped working on 9/13/2017 right when I left work. The air at 60 degrees is coming out luke cold. I am taking it in on 9/15/2017 to the dealership where I bought it. However, after reading all the posts here, I can only imagine what they will say. However, I will post an update so everyone knows what the issue is. I can't believe that my brand new car is already having A/C issues. I drove a Mercury Villager for 14 years and never once did that van give me A/C issues......

Anxious to see what my fate will be tomorrow.

- la reina coco, Wilmington, US

Jul 162017

Tahoe LTZ 5.3 LITER

First Chevrolet vehicle to have a failure like this so soon at 30,940 miles and 3 years and 4 months out and considered low mileage vehicle. I don't recall ever having this kind of A/C failure with any of my past GM Chevy or Cadillac purchases over 30 years. Didn't take long with a simple internet search to realize some sort of common repetitive problem happening with this 2015 Tahoe and other 2015 Tahoe's. I'm lucky I guess to have purchased the $100.00 deductible extended warranty that covered my rear and the Tahoe. At the same time I replaced the two front tires due to a screw embedded in the right front outside wall of the tread. With nearly 31K in miles, I determined it best to replace both for a better drive and ride. That was about $538.00 on top of the $100.00 deductible payment for the A/C compressor replacement. Wonder where the screw came from? the road or the A/C compressor burning up and whatever else blowing up with it? Driving on I-35 East between Denton, TX and Dallas, TX the day before the A/C burnout, who knows with that Interstate ongoing construction mess!

- Michael P., Oklahoma City, US

Jul 012017

Tahoe LT V8

When I pull into Martin Chevrolet where I have had my truck maintenance work done, I spotted the service advisor that I have dealt with since I purchased the vehicle. He said " Mr. Tolbert how are you today" I told him I was hot and he immediately said your condenser has went on your vehicle...Is was like he was waiting for me to say this! He initially told me that the condenser was on back order and he had no idea when they would come in. His advice was to check back weekly.

I then called GM to complain about the problem and to voice how unhappy I was with this issue, the gentleman that took my called was very pleasant, but helpful.

I explained to him that I learned that there had not been a recall for the condenser and he explained to me that the there had not been a recall because it was not a safety issue. I went on to tell him once a class action lawsuit takes place I'm sure GM would provide a solution to the issue.

I mentioned that I have a 4 year old child that rides in the back seat of the car in this California 105 degree heat is a safety issue! And how about taking to my mother, who has been diagnosed with lung cancer, to doctor appointments and running errands with her is not a issue then what the heck are issue that will concern GM?

My complaint has be "expedited" and I am awaiting a response from GM.

My vehicle is a GM certified pre-owned truck and I purchased the extended warranty...That being said, my question is was the multi-point inspection carefully done? How long has this condenser really been leaking?

- Elroy T., Torrance, US

Jun 302017

Tahoe LT 3.2L V6

I need my air fixed bad. It's entirely too hot to be riding around with no cooling system and defrost. I've only had vehicle for 1yr.

- tclay-brunson, Wilmington, US

Jul 102017

Tahoe LTZ V8

These pieces of crap at General Motors have a nationwide shortage of condensers that are leaking on all 2015 and later a/c. They are keeping quite about all of it. My Chevy dealer said they have lots of vehicles sitting that can't be sold until the condensers are replaced. I'm so damn mad I could just lose it. It is hot as hell in Alabama with humidity like a steam sauna. I am done with GM sh*t and Chevrolet. If I can sue them, trust me I will!

- Sherry A., Tuscaloosa, US

Jun 122017

Tahoe LTZ V8

AC stopped working. It wasn't blowing out hot air, but I called it "luke-cold". I took it to my mechanic and they diagnosed it as a hole in the condenser and that it should be covered under warranty and to take it to the dealer. I called the dealer and at 56K I'm outside of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I then went to take it back to the shop when the shop called to say they'd looked into it more and there is a nation-wide back-order on Tahoe condensers. That's when I started to dig into the issue and found this site. It looks like this is a big issue and hopefully will be covered under a recall soon. The bad news is that I have a 12 hour road trip coming up in 2 weeks with two kids. That is NOT going to be fun with no AC.

- Michael O., Doylestown, PA, US