Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

Sep 072017

I have an intermittent instrument gage failure, this causes the gage cluster to go out and unable to read vital engine operating specifications. This includes all gauges except for speedometer for now. This typical clears up within 5 mins and sooner if you pull car over and restart vehicle. This can happen at anytime and includes the lighting up of the following lights ABS, brake, security, seatbelt, SRS and all the other dashboard lights. This happens at different dates and times.

- Mansfield, PA, USA

Jul 292017

I pulled into my garage and shut my truck off but my doors wouldn't unlock. Then it started making funny ticking sounds and all my lights inside started flicking and my windows all rolled up and wouldn't go back down so I could get out. After about 20 minutes or so I turned it back on and was finally able to get my door unlocked to get out. Now when I touch anything my other windows go up and my seat starts to move on its own. My driver's window is stuck up and won't come back down. I have 5 kids and can not chance something happening and us not being able to get out safely.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 30 mph, the headlights failed and turned off independently. When the contact exited the vehicle, the locks independently engaged and locked the contact out. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for that incident. Later, the electrical components on the front driver's side door, including the side view mirror, power window, and power lock switches, failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver's door master power window switch module failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer rebooted the module as a temporary repair, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer and pay for the repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Weston, MO, USA

Mar 092017

My entire instrument panel is inoperative. I am unable to tell my speed, fuel level, oil level and pressure, temperature, whether or not my high beams are on or off, or whether the cruise control is engaged. I use my gps as a speedometer and have run out of gas on high-speed limited access highways 4 times. The dealer wants nearly $500 to fix this although it's a common problem (see google). Running out of gas on the interstate is a matter of life and death. I've asked to speak with a zone rep and gotten nowhere. The two photos were taken on 3/9/2017. One with the engine running and one with the engine off. There's no difference!!!

- Dover, DE, USA

Dec 202016

Instrument cluster keeps going out than lights back

- Wellsville, OH, USA

Sep 212012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 35 mph, the transmission shifted out of gear and the anti-theft lock and battery warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also mentioned that the fuel gauge displayed an inaccurate reading when the fuel tank was full. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 143,000.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

May 052016

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Consumer writes in regards to ignition key recall notice repair problems the consumer stated the key would not come out of the ignition. The consumer stated all the dealer did was spray a chemical in the key hole. However, the problem continued. The consumer found a remedy on the internet, to resolve the problem.

- Munster, IN, USA

Apr 022016

Faulty gauges. Gauges sometimes work, sometimes don't. when not working, service engine light comes on first and then nothing works on dash panel except signal lights. When it does work, normal startup of lights. Being the odometer is digital, no way of knowing how many miles I have gone which goes hand in hand with gas gauge not working so not a clue how much I have.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

May 202016

While highway driving with cruise control engaged I heard a loud whining sound and experienced a sudden loss of power. I was almost hit from behind several times before I could get the vehicle over into the right lane. When I took the vehicle to my mechanic I was told the cooling fan clutch assemble had failed. I have had this fan replaced three times now and am not at all pleased that this vehicle has not been recalled for this problem. I have read that this is a "common" problem on this vehicle that can cause a severe accident. I have receipts for the repairs but have no way to upload them.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 042016

1. my drivers side window and door lock is shorted out and wont operate at all. While driving causing the window to remain down during a rain storm and impeding my visibility. I see they have recalls on other years for this exact same problem. 2. my seat belt cathes really tight and wont release casusing me pain. 3. my headlights regular beams keep coming loose and blowing out.ive had to fix this three times and I have only owned the vehicle for a week. Twice during driving at night once I am not sure when it blew. 4. the front suspension is having problems and I believe may be a recall issue. It makes loud noise like its cracking or breaking, while driving.

- Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Dec 042012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the oil indicator indicated low oil pressure and the check gauges warning light illuminated. The contact stated that there was also a loss of power steering. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic but the failure was unknown. The failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000. The VIN was not available.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Oct 162014

I was simply trying to clean my windshield with the wiper blades. When I flicked the switch the car shut off. I immediately got over and turned truck back on. A couple days later I was leaving out for work when I tried to start the car, it stalled and I heard a hissing noise. I couldn't get it to turn over or make any noise other than hissing. The speedometer started moving back and forth erotically. The radio and power windows works but the engine would not turn over. I had it towed to my repair man and he told me there was a electric problem and to call the GM dealership for further assistance. The truck will not start up. There is a short. It shuts off constantly while driving and sometimes I have to push it to avoid oncoming traffic. It won't sped up past 60 without troubling the transmission. While driving sometimes the speedometer doesn't work at all or it jumps, around without reading my correct speed. When I try turn signals it cuts off. When I turn my lights on and off it hisses. Something has to be done. Its my only means of transportation and I really need to find a solution.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 042015

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, a smoke odor emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to the residence and parked when the contact discovered black smoke coming from under the hood. The contact stated that although the key was not in the ignition the headlights would not go off and the vehicle sounded as if it was trying to start without the key in the ignition. The contact extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher. The fire department came and filed a report. Prior to this incident the contact stated that while stopped at a red light with the brakes engaged, the engine rpms increased and the vehicle jerked without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 192,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 222002

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Numerous problems associated with car. Windows don't come down, doors don't unlock, and other issues. The consumer stated when he turned the key in the ignition, the windows would not roll down, unless it was done manually. There was a locking and unlocking sound coming from the doors. The consumer was informed there was an issue with the wiring inside the doors. Also, the check engine light illuminated due to a small evap leak and after market fuel cap. The windshield wipers were inoperative, the instrument panel lights were flicking on and off, the inside dome light would not come on. Updated 04/13/15. Updated 07/20/15.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Dec 122012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the low beam lights failed and the driver's side window failed to open. No warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 062014

Ignition does not start after driving vehicle. It is intermittent. Is there a recall for it?

- Penn Valley, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When I start my vehicle, the ABS and brakes lights go on, security light, and radio shuts off, or is on with no sound, the 4 wheel drive light flashes back and fourth between 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive, engine shuts off, while driving, then turns back on, this is the same problem all the recalled GM cars are having why is the 2002 Trailblazer not part of the recall?

- Cedar Rapids , IA, USA

Jun 022014

Instrument cluster.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Apr 302014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was coming to a stop light my brakes did not want to work, then they did. I stopped my vehicle, my lights in my dash went out within a few seconds smoke started to roll from under my hood and cover my windshield. I immediately got out of the vehicle, and called 911. The vehicle was not running at this time, it stopped running. A bystander stopped to assist, he looked from the passenger front tire view and stated he seen flames that appeared to be blue. He wanted to lift the hood but I advised him not to do so, due to my job training I knew oxygen promotes fire. We got away from the vehicle, saint albans fire arrived on scene, the flames were out by the time they arrived, the car continues to smoke. The vehicle was moved to a lot, the key was put in the ignition by the fire department the dash lights did not work even with just turning the battery on. Triple H towing, towed the vehicle to davis smith's auto body. Geico is my insurer, I had full coverage however they will not cover stating it was mechanical failure. I have no without a vehicle, and no insurance funds to replace the vehicle. I have read online this is a common problem with this vehicle, I just do not want anyone to get hurt in a vehicle fire. Thank you for your time.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Sep 122008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I approached a stop light. As I stopped, the whole car shut down. I turned the ignition "off", put the car in "park", and turned the "ignition switch" to restart the vehicle. It did start. A couple days later the same thing happened. I took it to my dealer on Sept. 15 2008.they asked if I had a lot of stuff hanging on the key ring, I did not. They replaced the ignition switch. On Jan. 21, 2011, I was driving, and, after stopping, the car was running but would not engage (move). Had the car towed to dealership. They again replaced the ignition switch and another switch. On Feb. 11, 2011, I was at a "drive-up" window, my car just quit running. I had to push it off to the side and have it towed to the dealer. This time they again replaced the "ignition switch" along with a transfer case switch and a transfer case module. They said they had to replace all of them since there was no way to know for sure if it was still related to the "ignition switch". I feel all my issues were relate to the "ignition switch", and all repairs should have been paid by GM.they new they had an issue, or the dealer would not have asked about "excess weight hanging on the key fob".. I believe the "ignition switch issue" goes back farther, and affects even more models, than they are currently owning up to. I still have all paperwork pertaining to my repairs.

- Rockford, IL, USA