Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

Jun 012008

Trailblazer

Headlights dim and flicker at random times, mostly at start up. Dealer has replaced alternator twice and problem was resolved for about 2 months and has since recurred.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 082009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel gauges failed without warning and displayed inaccurate readings. The dealer stated that the entire panel needed to be replaced. He is in the process of having the vehicle repaired. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

May 042009

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster failure. Speedometer & all other gauges suddenly failed. No speed or vehicle information available to driver.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 072009

Trailblazer

I have noticed my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer is having issues with the tachometer. It is sticking at around 4000 RPM and won't reset to 0. this seems to be a very common complaint from what I can find. I'm afraid that this problem could spread into other gauges which would be a serious safety issue.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Oct 062008

Trailblazer

My 2004 Trailblazer speedometer keeps going out. I have had it reset several times and within a few days it is back to the needle pointing at 100 while in park. This problem started while I was driving the vehicle. I noticed it when I realized that I was the slowest person on the interstate. It is May 2009 and it is now a bigger problem than ever. I would have to replace the instrument cluster at $800 to repair this and then it may work for a little while but, all my research indicates that it won't fix the problem.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 102009

Trailblazer

Driving on dry pavement, clear day. Took freeway offramp, when I reached 40mph, the brakes locked up, went past stop sign into other highway missing other vehicle passing in front of offramp. Happened twice at same speed, brakes lock up, and I pass through the stop sign. Loud grinding noise coming from wheel well area, brakes recently changed about 3 months ago, noise occurs at 25-30 mph, sounds like dragging something underneath. Service man checked, nothing visible. Has occurred 5 times in less than 2 months. Interior lights dim on vehicle then brighten constantly. Door ajar light constantly coming on, back hatch window constantly opening on own driving down road. Instrument panel knobs, panel itself and window and door buttons on doors extremely hot to touch. Various lights on instrument panel quit working and then resume on their own. Reported tach/odometer not working already. Both units registering offline while driving. Where are the fixes to these problems?

- Granger, WA, USA

Apr 132007

Trailblazer

I purchased a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer in August of 2004. Over two years ago my speedometer started to fluctuate showing I was going 10 miles an hour while I was in the fast lane on the freeway going at least 65. After months of fluctuating it stopped working. I now have 84,000 miles on my car. I am guessing the speedometer it went out around 65,000. I do not feel that a car that is only 5 years old should have a speedometer that won't work anymore. I found that there are many people out there that have the same problem with other models besides the Trailblazer. I called my local GM dealer and they advised that there is no recall on this issue. I cannot afford to have this fixed. This is a safety issue that GM should be responsible for fixing.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

May 012008

Trailblazer

I also have a 2004 Trailblazer that the gauges stopped working. It started out with miss-reading the speed, as in reading higher than the actual speed. Like going 120 mph when really going 25 mph. Now it is currently stuck with the needle pointing straight at neutral. Then just last week. My low fuel light came on. The next time I started the truck it was up to 1/2 a tank and as I drove it went to 3/4 then 10 miles later it slowly dropped back to 1/4 then the light came on again and then back to a 1/4 of tank. This is an on going problem with these trucks. I know 3 other people with Trailblazers and 2 of them are having the same problem. The dealership told me it would run about $850 to fix and needless to say it has not been. They are off their brains. This needs to be a recall.

- Mentor, OH, USA

May 042008

Trailblazer

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2L instrument panel does not work-speedometer, tachometer, temp. Gauge, oil pressure.

- Hudson , WI, USA

Jan 032009

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster panel failure causing speedometer to not work creating a safety hazard- GM will do nothing about it.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Mar 142009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer stopped working and registers 65 mph while the vehicle is parked. The failure prevents him from knowing how fast he is traveling. The dealer has not been notified. When the contact bought the vehicle, the spare tire wrench under the rear bumper was stripped so that it could not be lowered. He had a mechanic examine the spare tire wrench and was advised to take the vehicle to the dealer. The current mileage was 66,000 and failure mileage was 62,000.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 012008

Trailblazer

Speedometer quit working. Some lights in radio has gone out.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 012007

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer, water temperature, and fuel gauges have all malfunctioned. The mechanic could not repair the vehicle due to the lack of proper machinery. The contact feels that this is a safety issue because the gauges do not register. As a result, he does not know how much fuel is in the vehicle, the engine temperature, or how fast he is driving. The current mileage was 96,000 and failure mileage was 70,000.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Jan 012009

Trailblazer

The speedometer and tachometer in my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer stopped working a few months ago. I have made several attempts to work out a solution to this problem with Chevy, to no avail. I took it to the dealer to run a diagnostic test as requested by Chevy, the test showed the cluster is bad. Over the course of several conversations with Chevy, I was told they are aware of an existing problem with the clusters, but are not going to do anything about it. I did a lot of research about this on the internet and have found that I am not the only one with a faulty cluster. This seems to be a common problem with the 2003 & 2004 Chevy models. Chevy admitted this to me, and are fixing "some" models, but the Trailblazer is not one of them. I really don't understand! there are two class action suits, that I found on the internet, Chevy is fixing the vehicles in those two states, but what about the ones of us who don't live in those states? I have not made the repairs to my vehicle, I bought a gps to keep me within the speed limit. Any help you can offer is appreciated!!! thank you for your time.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 052009

Trailblazer

We are having the same safety issue as so many others are having with our 2004 Trailblazer. The gauges do not work properly...particularly the tachometer and speedometer, but also include our headlights and radio which both occasionally flashing out for a second or so. This started happening around 47,000 miles. And since we are filing this complaint we may as well mention how our rotors and brake pads completely broke down at around 48,000 miles.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Jul 132008

Trailblazer

Was driving and happen to look down at how fast I was going and it read 80 mph a few days later it was working again and the following week both the RPM and the speedometer was going crazy.

- Glennville, GA, USA

Mar 282009

Trailblazer

While driving my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer, with mileage of 52,198, I noticed that the speedometer was not registering accurately and then, within 30 minutes, the needle of the defective speedometer, permanently settled to zero; even though I was on the highway and traveling with the traffic flow of 60 M.P.H.

- Dennis, MA, USA

Sep 102008

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that has gauge problems, most notably, the speedometer. I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 truck with the same problem. The truck is covered on a recall but the Trailblazer is not. I feel that the Trailblazer should be covered.

- Waynesboro, MS, USA

Oct 152008

Trailblazer

The speedometer on my instrument cluster started to fail, overstating speeds by 10 to 20 mph and sticking at times. At this point (Feb 2009), speedometer is almost permanently stuck at 90 miles per hour or more.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Aug 132008

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and the gauges don't work correctly they go crazy says im doing 80 when I am at a complete stop.

- Jeannette, PW, USA