Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

Dec 012005

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer speedometer shows incorrect speed. Actual speed about 30mph. Shows 80>120, also shows 120mph when sitting still. Various incorrect speeds very high mph when actual speeds 20>65.. ongoing problem for past several years. Daughter drove vehicle and reported to dealerships but they wanted to charge extravagant amounts to fix it. She couldn't afford it and nor could I. we drove it as is.

- Teague, TX, USA

Sep 162009

Trailblazer

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt.. my gauges for oil, speedometer, water are not working at times. The speedometer will say I am doing 90 when in fact I am only going 35 mph if that! I don't use the highway much, more city driving and I see that my Trailblazer is not the only one will this problem. I really feel that a recall needs to be done by GM on this problem. Other Trailblazer owners have been reporting this problem since 2006. I have been told by my GM dealership that it will be about $600 to correct this problem. Can someone please make GM listen to us owners and issue a recall. Thank you!

- North Yarmouth, ME, USA

Jun 012008

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer speedometer malfunctioning.

- Willowick, OH, USA

Jan 082009

Trailblazer

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls: 76K miles 1. instrument panel intermittently malfunctions under normal operating conditions, the speedometer will not register correct speed and will move past 120 mph when in park (needle pointing straight down), sounds like a popping or crackling noise from instrument panel at times. I thought this problem was more prone to happen more with very cold or very hot temperature outside but now also happens no matter what the temperature is outside. Only way I have found to get speedometer back to zero is to start engine and turn off engine after minute or so - this process could take starting/re-starting 20 to 30 times to get speedometer back to zero. Bad for starter and consumes too much gasoline to continue doing this. 2. service engine soon light comes on intermittently under normal operating conditions. All electrical (lights, radio, A/C, etc.) cut offs and engine cuts off when driving under normal conditions - sometimes this occurs while driving and sometimes occurs when slowing to stop at a traffic light. At times I will smell a burning smell like something electrical is burning. I immediately pull over, turn off the car and check under the hood but cannot see anything burning however I smell it. After the vehicle sits for a few minutes it can be restarted and I do not smell the burning smell. I am a single mom with college/high school children (ages 25, 22, 17) living at home and I have a 7 month old grandchild at home. I am on a very limited budget and do not have money to repair either of these problems as the vehicle is out of warranty. Both of these issues are safety issues. There are tons of complaints regarding Chevy Trailblazers on the internet. When will GM be held accountable for manufacturing and selling lemons!?! GM needs to accept responsibility and repair these lemons - the consumer's safety is at stake here.

- Buford, GA, USA

Apr 012009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 10-15 mph, the vehicle started to loose power. Occasionally the vehicle shut off, the battery and RPM gauges also stopped working. The contact feels is aware of the safety risk since the vehicle shut off without warning which could result in a crash. The current mileage was 90,000 and the failure mileage was 70,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 162009

Trailblazer

Had P0128 code for about 1 year. Replaced thermostat after P1680 code, reduced engine power light came on. Reduced engine power light went away on next crank up to move vehicle and change thermostat. ABS and brake lights both on intermittently. Tachometer has been sticking and speedometer showed erratic signs around 55 mph. Now all gauges going wacko or not working at all at times. Temperature gauge wrapped completely around without even starting cold engine. About a mile later, instrument panel lit completely up then went away, gauges reset, and ran fine with properly operating instrument panel... at least until I got home. Then wacko stuff again. Reset PCM by disconnecting battery cable, now things seem fine... for now. I'm told to redo bad ground on ecbm before suspecting bad ABS module and to replace ignition switch before suspecting bad instrument cluster and PCM. However, dealer analysis said ABS module got moisture in it and the instrument panel needs to be replace. First is a $1000 ABS module, second is a $400 panel, both have labor charges additional.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 012008

Trailblazer

Speedometer is inaccurate. When standing still, it could read 100mph. When 55mph, it may read 20mph. I've heard many Trailblazers have this problem. Makes it very difficult to drive the correct speed limit. Too in areas where it's dangerous or too slow also causes problems with people trying to pass. Help!

- Florence, OR, USA

Jul 022009

Trailblazer

All the gauges except the speedometer of my 2004 Chevy trail Blazer went out.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Jun 012008

Trailblazer

My speedometer and tachometer do not work on my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. Occasionally my check engine light will stay on as well.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

May 222008

Trailblazer

Purchased my Trailblazer brand new in 2004 and started having problem with the instrument cluster in may of 2007 the speedometer has stopped working the battery and oil gauges are not reading and the RPM gauges works at random. I taken the truck back to the dealership and was told ir would be $400 to repair and it not covered under any warranty work. I'm also having a problem with the headlight working at random. They will work but cut off while I'm driving at night. I feel both issues need to have a mass recall on all 2002-2007 Trailblazers.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Feb 182007

Trailblazer

Since 2007 my instrument panel cluster of my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer (which I purchased brand new in 2004 from dealership) goes on and off some days it works and some days it does not. I could be driving down the road and all of the lights on the dash and gauges go out. I am unsure at times how much gas is in my car and just have to estimate and fill the tank. I attempted to have the dealership help me out because I purchased an extended warranty but they were bought out by another dealer. I wrote to Chevrolet and they refused to help me out. I am unable to pay the $700 to $800 they have quoted me to pay to have it fixed. There are several other vehicles with this problem so it should be recalled by Chevrolet. I feel this is a safety issue because all of the lights go out sometimes at night so I have refrained from driving at night very much.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jul 022009

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer has significant electrical system issues. The tachometer is inconsistent and will read 1000 RPM when you know the engine is at least 3000. Also, similar problems with other gauges. Sometimes they work for a few days, and then don't. also, constantly needs jumped. Just got a new battery two weeks ago, and already won't turn over. Good connections and clean terminals, but for whatever reason the electrical system drained the battery. This has been non-stop! none of this covered by dealership!

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Nov 092008

Trailblazer

The speedometer quit working on my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer about 9 months ago. Tach also has a tendency to stick. Transmission started going out 2 weeks after purchase (used in July 2008 with 42,000 miles). Transmission went completely out in November 2008.

- Clinton, AR, USA

Jan 082009

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer gauge cluster. The speedometer started having random reading @ about 100,000 miles.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Jun 052009

Trailblazer

Battery went dead after the car sat a week. Dealer replace the battery and said the instrument cluster checked fine. Next day voltmeter pegged past number, tach and speedometer stopped working. Now dealer says the instrument cluster needs replacing.

- Seabrook, SC, USA

May 182009

Trailblazer

Started up truck to warm up after about 3 minutes heard bang and both front airbags had deployed for no reason. Prior to this had issue with intermittent dash board lights (battery, speed odometer, seatbelt and airbag lights) being on. GM refuses to cover because I did not take to "dealer". I took it to my local mechanic instead who could find no issue other than corroded grounds. Currently it is being repaired by my insurance company.

- Westminster, MD, USA

May 292009

Trailblazer

We have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. All gauges but the tachometer completely stop working. They will work in the morning, but when I leave work they stop working. This has started happening more and more frequently. I have to rely on my tachometer on how fast I am going. I don't know when that will stop working. This is not safe and also I have read many reports from other Trailblazer owners that have had the same problem. I think there should be a recall on these gauges.

- Roeland Park, KS, USA

Jan 102008

Trailblazer

Dashboard speedometer and other meters do not work. Every once and awhile the dials will come on, but most of the time they do not work. Nothing has been done to correct the problem because service department states its not under warranty and will charge over $400 dollars to fix problem.

- Aransas Pass, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer which started giving me problems almost as soon as the warranty was over. Most of the gauges (speedometer, tachometer, battery indicator, etc...) in the instrument panel are not functioning or function only sporadically and erratically. Also the air bag light stays on continuously. I have been reading online that this is a fairly common problem on this vehicle and that GM even sued (and won) the instrument panel manufacturer. However no recall has been issued on Trailblazers, meanwhile other GM vehicles (I.e. Chevy Silverado) that uses the same instrument panel and thereby has the same problems have been recalled. General Motors should not be allowed to exhibit this kind of behavior and a recall should be issued to every vehicle they built which used this faulty and failure prone instrument panel. Sincerely, outraged Trailblazer owner.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 142008

Trailblazer

Speedometer and tachometer have stopped working.

- Earlville, NY, USA