Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

Nov 082017

Traverse

Merging onto highway. Engine misfiring resulting in violent shaking of vehicle and loss of power in a high speed traffic situation. Very dangerous. Same problem one year ago. Both times cause was faulty ignition coil. Codes P0300.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle had no specific failures other than failing an inspection. The contact called a dealer (lannan Chevrolet, 40 winn St, woburn, MA 01801, (781) 897-0508) to inspect and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer did not send a notification of any extended warranty campaigns; however, the vehicle was included in a water pump seal leak, power steering, transmission, and additional service campaigns. After the dealer's repairs, the vehicle was rode roughly and the engine indicator illuminated two days later. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer who indicated that further diagnostic testing was required. The vehicle had been at the dealer for longer than two weeks with no resolution. The manufacturer was notified and refused to provide a remedy for the several extended warranty campaigns, of which some were not completed, but the dealer specified on the invoice that the vehicle was serviced. The vehicle was not repaired and was unable to be driven. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Sep 012017

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated. An independent mechanic inspected the dtc and indicated that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The contact was aware that the vehicle was included in a warranty campaign and contacted the manufacturer to determine if they had a solution to repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- East Providence, RI, USA

Oct 012016

Traverse

As soon as my vehicle reached just over 102,000 miles, my engine completely shut down while we were driving our kids to practice. I have taken it to the Chevy dealership that has been repairing my vehicle since we purchased it (1.5 years prior to the engine shutting down) and they have informed us we need a completely new engine because the crankshaft is completely blown. When they finally got it started up, it sounded like a bag of hammers being violently shaken. In the 1.5 years that we have had the vehicle, the timing belt has gone out, an electrical issue that caused the car to shut down completely as well, and another repair that my husband handled shortly after we got the car. Chevy has told us we are out of luck and that we have to pay for a new engine. When the dealership checked the value of the vehicle because we were going to try to trade it in, they told us the car, in perfect working condition would only be worth $6,000, even though 1.5 years prior, it was worth $20,000. The engine replacement is going to cost us more than the vehicle is worth! from what we have seen, a lot of these cars (same year make and model) are having the same problems and should be recalled completely!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 152017

Traverse

This is in reference to the GM timing chain problem special warranty coverage # 11340. I brought my vehicle into the shop and they said it's over on mileage to get it fixed under the coverage. The concern that I have is what happens when this timing chain slips or breaks. The engine will lock up and could cause a crash. GM knows about this problem with the timing sprockets being too shallow of a pitch. I called GM and they said there's nothing they can do to fix it under that problem. I was thinking this could be a problem for A-lot of people owning these vehicles. As far as my vehicle it's still in the shop waiting for an answer on what I want to do. They have to remove the engine to replace the timing chains. Thank you richard ackland

- Albert Lea, MN, USA

Dec 212016

Traverse 6-cyl

Twice in the past 11 months I have had cylinder coil failures while driving on interstate highways at high speeds. The coil failures and resulting misfires caused a sudden loss of full power and a dangerous slow down in heavy traffic.

- Ellenton, FL, USA

May 032016

Traverse

Unexplained/excessive oil usage, vehicle is not leaking or burning oil.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 072016

Traverse

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that various warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the warning indicators for the air bags, service engine, and low beam headlights shorted several times. The contact smelled a burning odor near the front of the vehicle several times. The vehicle was repaired several times by the dealer, but the failure recurred. While driving at an unknown speed, a deer crossed the vehicle's path and crashed into the front of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The driver sustained minor bruising, but did not require medical treatment. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer provided no solution and the vehicle was traded in for a 2013 Chevrolet Traverse. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 272016

Traverse 6-cyl

The vehicle began sputtering when traveling from 20-25 miles per hour & when driving up an incline. Engine light came on. Onstar said there were 7 fault codes. The primary code was P0300, indicating an emissions issue. Issue started days after transmission was replaced.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 172016

Traverse 6-cyl

Well my wife was driving the car on freeway with our kids and check engine light came on and then the vehicle powered down, we felt like it was timing chain and turns out it was.. General Motors fixed timing chain problem but now the dealership says all three catalytic converters are bad because of gas seeping in because of the timing issue and to fix the converters it will cost upwards of 2500 dollars... so if someone could please advise of any known recalls please... also we just bought the truck two weeks ago and with seven kids don't have the cash laying around for such a expensive repair that we feel should be covered if caused by the timing issue in the first place.

- Richland, MS, USA

Oct 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving, the vehicle would not shift into third gear which resulted in a lack of acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave clutch plate was defective and the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Apr 052016

Traverse

"takata recall" this car has been a nightmare from the day we bought it. It has had 4 rack and pinions, the struts replaced, a gear replaced in the steering column, a new power steering pump, a fuel injector, and timing chain repair. Now it is in the shop again for another round of timing chain gone bad and tensioners, as well as now the master brake cylinder is leaking back into the system which I was told will cause my brakes to just no longer work at any given moment. I drive my children in this car, I paid over $25,000 for it and I have put over $8,000 in repairs into it. I am now having to repair the brake issue or chance my family being killed in an accident. While my husband has lost his job in the oil and gas industry. I can't even sale the stupid car, because it is worhtless!!! I am disgusted and disappointed with this vehicle, the manufacturer for doing nothing for their buyers and the fact that there have been no recalls on the brake issue, when there are multitudes of pages on the web of complaints over the same issue.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 082016

Traverse

Numerous ac issues, dealer has never been able to repair.now we receive engine code stating the #4 cylinder misfireing. Before we can have it repaired the vehicle just quit. No power from engine, no brakes, all kinds of electrical sensors are giving alerts and car just turns off. Seems to also be affecting cooling fan and steering. Also ever since we purchased the vehicle has made a wierd noise in the front end. Dealer claims it was nothing and after warranty expired we took it in for ac again and was told the front struts were needing to be replaced along with all kinds of ac parts. How come this was never mentioned until warranty expired" I am so tired of getting ripped off with vehicles. Had issues with Ford, Dodge and now GM. Guess its time to try an import"

- Risharon, TX, USA

Aug 062014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at 55 mph, the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the timing belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- 724-882-3786, PA, USA

Feb 182015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 62 mph, the vehicle stalled as the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's house. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. However, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 042014

Traverse

Driving on a highway went to change lane. While accelerating the car started to shake, buck and slow down. Engine light came on. Brought it to the dealer found intermittent code P0306. Performed emission service. Happened again 60days later. Back to the dealer found code P0305 and P0306. They cleaned spark plugs. Happened again 30 days later. Back to the dealer. Codes P0300, P0305, PO301, P0304, P0306. Onstar diagnostics: Cylinder misfire, engine misfire. Back to the dealer. Soak engine with GM cleaner. Happened again 1 day later. Back to the dealer. Same codes as above. Dealer wants to do a valve job on the car. Waiting to find out what that will cost. Don't know when the misfires will happen. If am trying to pass another car on a highway at high speed and a misfire happens I am sure a accident will occur and it could be fatal.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchase car in 7/6/13 only had it 15 months during which time had 4-5 recalls not including a lot of major repairs. The last time I pick up in December on a Saturday down on Monday. They tell me nowits the engine. I do a history and see odometer fraud written all over it. Dealership is acting up. I called GM told my insurance and the financial car loan. Now waiting. This is not right.. I am a 64 old female living on ss. Come on I need help here.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife was driving home when the check engine light came on vehicle lost power and stalled and would not restart, vehical was towed to dealer who stated cathlitic converter had failed and would be replaced. Following replacement dealer stated engine backfired during test drive investigation revealed engine failure and had to be replaced luckly insurance covered this repair, following engine repair car was started but still backfired investigation revealed ignition coil was defective.. reshearch by me on the internet showed problems with ignition coil causing engine and cathlitic converter problem, this problem could be a major safety concern if driving at interstate speeds then this problem occures.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Nov 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving down I30 at approximately 65 mph, vehicle slows down to 20 mph without any warning. The engine light came on soon after or maybe as the speed dropped. Shook me up luckily there was very little traffic and was able to pull over to the side. The vehicle was not shaking or showed no sign of damage other than it not wanting to go past 20 mph. The incident happened one exit away from the dealership where I get the vehicle serviced and decided to drive it there. I am being told by the dealership that the catalytic converter fell apart and damaged engine cylinders 3 and 5 so I will be needing the engine replaced. Do not know if the catalytic converter that failed was the one the dealership replaced in April 2014.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Nov 042014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 55 mph, the engine, traction control, and stabilitrak warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle decreased independently to 15 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Newark, DE, USA