Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

Jul 252019

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact applied pressure to the accelerator pedal, the engine seized, and the vehicle completely shut off. The contact was able to safely pull over and noticed smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where they diagnosed that metal shavings were found in the oil compartment. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morrill, NE, USA

Jan 072019

Traverse

My ltz started shuddering at about 25-30mph @ around 130,000 miles. Check engine line is on sporadically. If you push the gas harder, it picks up and moves on. This seems to be the problem with many '09 models. There needs to be a recall/fix for this issue. We use this car only for family trips or big grocery trips. I'd hate to get rid of it. Paying $45,000 for a vehicle means it should last for a very long time!

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 012018

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 35 mph, the engine seized and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact was able to park the vehicle on the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and then to an independent mechanic. The mechanic replaced the timing chain, but the failure continued. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. A dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 152019

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While the contact's brother was driving 35 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated. The driver informed the contact that there was a burning wire odor under the hood, which entered the vehicle throught the vents. The vehicle stalled on an incline, but the driver was able to place the gear shifter into neutral. The vehicle rolled backwards and the driver was able to coast the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle failed to restart. The following day, the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump failed due to fuel in the oil. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no open recalls. No further assistance was offered. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Warrensville, NC, USA

May 232019

Traverse

Purchased from Honda of slidell, Louisiana around 1 1/2 year ago. Has had engine problems, electrical and ac problems since purchased. The engine has to be replaced. The car is crap! ac system has to be replaced.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

May 162019

Traverse

I was driving and my car quit running. Took it to the shop and it was the timing chain broke. I haven't had this car a year yet and this happens. It's not right it should be a recall on these engines. From several mechanics I have talked to said they are known to have these problems. They need to be taken off the market.

- Pickens, SC, USA

May 092019

Traverse

Loss of power while driving.. traction control off warning indicator. Very dangerous when this happens at highway speeds and all of a sudden you go from 70 mph to 30 mph and almost get rear ended by other vehicles. See this for exactly what happens: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=hbvaoiixnxy

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Mar 112019

Traverse

Takara recall- my vehicle is leaking oil to the engine which is causing it to go through my exhaust..I have kept my vehicle with maintenance updated..I tried reaching out to Chevy mcgarth - no response..so I looked this up because the mechanic stated that the issues going on with my car should have had an warranty on it..because this is my fault

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jan 082019

Traverse

I was driving on a highway at speed of60miles the car just stopped running in the middle of the highway would not start had to be towed home going straight on the highway no warning whatsoever I could have been killed from the car behind

- Connersville, IN, USA

Nov 252018

Traverse

My 09' Traverse started to shudder intermittently on acceleration and then the service engine light (sel) came on. I had the car diagnosed and the code was a P0302 (misfire cyl). I had the car serviced and repaired by an ase certified mechanic. All coils and spark plugs were replaced along with fuel inj service, performance restore (oil, gaskets, etc). No discrepancies were noted with previous coils/plugs. The car appeared to be fixed. No problems were noted during an 800 mile roundtrip. Then the shuddering returned during normal day driving around town upon acceleration with the sel illuminating. I took the car back into the mechanic, and the code was the same (P0302). After further research by the mechanic, a GM technical bulletin was found (#pip5038B). I've contacted GM customer service and filed a complaint, case # 9-5063655170.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 192019

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the engine failed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in a three year unlimited warranty through the engine manufacturer. The manufacturer of the engine was contacted multiple times and stated that the owner was not available and they could not repair the vehicle. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 187,000.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Oct 102018

Traverse

I have a Chevy traverser 2009 105K miles on it, it have all king of problems, 3 years and don't pass emission test, I have spend around $2500 on it since I bought this vehichcle, unfortunate on 3 times I have bring the veicle to the dealer and ignition coils changed on first visit, they told me to change the catalitic converters on 2nd visit I did, and now on my last intent the dealer service department say I have to fix all this first the wiring from the motor to transmition, every time I bring the vehicle to the dealer they came out with some thing new and I end paying around $200 for only diagnostic service, please if some one now a good lawyer or a sue case let me know thanks

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 272018

Traverse

Vehicle has stalled several times with complete power loss. Fails to crank or turn on. Had starter replaced and continues to do same thing.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Mar 012018

Traverse

While driving to work my Traverse completely shut down. I had to coast to the edge of the road and then push it into a parking lot. While driving the lights seemed to go dim and the vehicle shut off!. the vehicle was towed to a mechanic who said the timing chain went and when it did it basically blew the engine. A new engine cost more then what I owe on the car. After calling around I found out that mechanics do not like to replace the engine in the Traverse because the timing chain issue. My mileage is about 140,000. I called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. I was told they do have a 'special warranty on the timing chain however it's only up to 120,000 miles and I am 20,000 over the special warranty. If engine dies completely at 70mph on freeway a bad wreck can happen this is unsafe and Chevrolet should replace these engines.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA

Mar 202018

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the power failure indicator illuminated and the vehicle shut off. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later towed to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The contact called mcelveen Buick GMC at 843-871-6800 (located at 117 farmington rd, summerville, SC 29483) and was informed that there was no recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Holly Hill, SC, USA

Mar 022015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle shuttered while being operated at various speeds. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to thompson Chevrolet Buick GMC (701 S 2nd St, patterson, ca 95363) on multiple occasions for this failure, but it could not be replicated. The vehicle was taken to southtowne Chevrolet Buick GMC (695 bukksboro dr, newnan, ga 30265) where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Oct 202017

Traverse

Our check engine light came on and our vehicle started misfiring after we took it to dealer and they fixed the airbag codes so the air bag warning would go off. They said they had to change the wiring in the engine too not just between seats. We replaced all six plugs and 3 coils that the codes said were misfiring. Got it back and drove to Georgia bout a 2 1/2 hour drive. Before we got there it misfired check engine light came on. We made it back on Sunday but car started losing power and check engine light kept flashing. I barley made it to exit and had to stop at gas station across from the one her ride was at. Our friends got it pulled into a spot but it made weird popping noises and had burning smell with no power then at very end power kicked in and he had to slam brakes. I left car there and forgot to lock it so we drove back to see if my husband could get it back to shop. My husband was accelerating up on ramp and car jerked and died completely. He had to fight it over to emergency lane at top of ramp. Vehicle wouldn't start. Costed 150 to have it towed to shop. Shop replaced catalytic converters after about a week cause had to fig out what hap. Drove car couple weeks it messed up again. Shop redid the wiring in engine that dealership messed up and we bought GM plugs and 3 coils. Car worked a little bit messed up again. Tried to get it 75 miles to dealership and pulled over to have it towed 150 again because it was about to die completely again. Converters had to be replaced again. Car is messed up again. Husband researched it bad timing (which makes engine skip time and it had been jerking and lurching so probably is what broke motor mount) makes the coils send too much gas and insides of converters melt and block up. If engine dies completely at 70mph on freeway a bad wreck can happen this is unsafe and Chevrolet should replace these engines.

- Andersonville, TN, USA

Dec 042017

Traverse

The timing chain has been an issue now twice on this car. I purchased the car at 51,000 miles. In January of 2015 I got the timing chain replaced. In December of 2017 as I was driving the car started to slow down while on a busy road and shut down. 2 separate mechanics are saying that it is the timing chain that has slipped a few teeth and caused damage to the engine. This is a safety hazard and the timing chain should not need to be replaced in that short of a time.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 212017

Traverse

Traverse stopped at a city intersection and failed to move or start after that. Timing chain broke at 158,000 causing damage to catalytic converters. Failure of power steering was an ongoing problem for months that caused wheels to lock up during turns and then suddenly release causing much over correction because of having to pull so hard on the steering wheel when it would go out.

- Drasco, AR, USA

Nov 012017

Traverse

Stabilitrak/traction control problems I am the owner of this vehicle that has 165,000+ miles on it. We have repaired/replaced about $6900: In 2017 evap purge valve, in 2017 upper coolant hose, 2016 water pump gasket, timing chain, 2014 catalytic converter and gaskets, 2014 water pump and front motor mount, in 2009 reverse clutch plate. Now the stability trac and traction lights both came on stating to service the brake system when you are in motion and come to a stop. Plus today, the ac does not come now. One vehicle with one owner should not have this many problems. Chevy has got to issue a recall on this 2009 model. Class action lawsuit, something needs to be done.

- Prairieville, LA, USA