Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

Apr 052019

Traverse

My 2009 Chevrolet Traverse won't go into reverse and also won't switch gears on time while driving with the steering so stiff

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012017

Traverse

I have been battling my check engine light all 2018 and now 2019. Not to mention the stabiliztrak and hard to turn steering wheel. I have been getting a misfire in all my coils. This issue has caused the vehicle to stutter, drink high volumes of gas and almost sent me broke. I have changed every coil, every plug, changed the stabilizer, tentioner, bearings, swaybar links and much more. I am completely done with Chevy. They know this make and midel is horrible and we as customers need to do a class action lawsuit. This vehicle sounds like a tin can when it starts. It rattles and stutters while driving and it shakes when stationary.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Nov 232018

Traverse

It's very hard to turn the wheel. When trying to turn in or back up it's extremely hard to turn.

- De Kalb, TX, USA

Aug 082018

Traverse

Unsafe car to drive in with my kids. I have no traction control and very sporadic power loss! I was driving with my kids going about 30mph and spun out of control around a curve with my kids in the car. Thank the lord no one was hurt and neither was the vehicle. I try to take off from a light or stop sign and itżll either take off super fast and almost hit the car in front of me, or take off slow with no power and almost get rear ended. I bought this car used 6 months ago and the last 3 months have been very frustrating with issues of this vehicle. Iżve already put $300 into it and now it's saying to change the cat converter. I called the #1 local shop to get a quote and he actually said his number one supplier has stopped issuing this part to Chevy Traverse because of all the recalls! so what do I do now"???" I am a medical courier and this Traverse is my source of income. Iżve always loved Chevy and donżT buy any other brand, but Cżmon. I donżT have $3000 to fix electrical issues!! especially when it is a manufacturers default and mistake!! very unsatisfied :(

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 312018

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While attempting to make a turn, the steering lost power without warning. The vehicle was taken to berger Chevrolet (616-949-5200, located at 2525 28th St SE, grand rapids, mi 49512) where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The contact was informed that the warranty did not cover the failure. The manufacturer stated that there was an extended warranty and they would contact the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 126,000.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Jun 132018

Traverse

Power steering becomes hard to turn when turning a corner or trying to park in a parking spot.not making any noise but steering gets really stiff

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 272018

Traverse

Power steering failing while turning and is difficult to turn.

- Forsyth, MO, USA

Jun 242018

Traverse

When I turn from a stop it's like I donżT have any power steering and it's difficult to turn the wheels. It's happened often but getting worse

- Senoia, GA, USA

Apr 032018

Traverse

Power steering is very hard to turn at slow speeds I have checked power steering fluid and it's full I'm very afraid this may cause me to lose control if it would happen going down the hwy please let me know what can I do.

- Marksville, LA, USA

Feb 162018

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While approaching a stop sign, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver in both directions when attempting to turn. The contact pulled over to the side of the road and inspected the vehicle, but found not visible failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called gerry lane Buick GMC (6615 Florida blvd, baton rouge, la 70806, (225) 341-5413). The vehicle was not diagnosed, but the dealer stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 168,500.

- Batonrouge, LA, USA

Jan 012011

Traverse

Power steering makes odd, high-pitched squeaking noises, sometimes chatters and has completely failed on several occasions. This has been happening since we purchased the car in 2011 with only about 12,000 miles. I have asked the dealership about this every time the car was serviced and was told this is normal. I don't see how it's normal to be driving a car and suddenly have no steering. I am honestly scared every time I leave my driveway that this will cause an accident and injure someone. Now, the dealer finally admits there is something wrong - needs power steering pump and rack & pinion. But it now has 94,000 miles, so they won't repair it.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Nov 212017

Traverse

Traverse stopped at a city intersection and failed to move or start after that. Timing chain broke at 158,000 causing damage to catalytic converters. Failure of power steering was an ongoing problem for months that caused wheels to lock up during turns and then suddenly release causing much over correction because of having to pull so hard on the steering wheel when it would go out.

- Drasco, AR, USA

Nov 012017

Traverse

Stabilitrak/traction control problems I am the owner of this vehicle that has 165,000+ miles on it. We have repaired/replaced about $6900: In 2017 evap purge valve, in 2017 upper coolant hose, 2016 water pump gasket, timing chain, 2014 catalytic converter and gaskets, 2014 water pump and front motor mount, in 2009 reverse clutch plate. Now the stability trac and traction lights both came on stating to service the brake system when you are in motion and come to a stop. Plus today, the ac does not come now. One vehicle with one owner should not have this many problems. Chevy has got to issue a recall on this 2009 model. Class action lawsuit, something needs to be done.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Mar 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle had no specific failures other than failing an inspection. The contact called a dealer (lannan Chevrolet, 40 winn St, woburn, MA 01801, (781) 897-0508) to inspect and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer did not send a notification of any extended warranty campaigns; however, the vehicle was included in a water pump seal leak, power steering, transmission, and additional service campaigns. After the dealer's repairs, the vehicle was rode roughly and the engine indicator illuminated two days later. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer who indicated that further diagnostic testing was required. The vehicle had been at the dealer for longer than two weeks with no resolution. The manufacturer was notified and refused to provide a remedy for the several extended warranty campaigns, of which some were not completed, but the dealer specified on the invoice that the vehicle was serviced. The vehicle was not repaired and was unable to be driven. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Sep 082017

Traverse

Power steering just went out as I was driving. Power steering fluid full

- Barnesville, OH, USA

Sep 032017

Traverse

I was driving down the street I came to a stop. As I began to go I tried to turn right and I couldn't turn the wheel it was so hard. Reminded me of my first car I had when I had a leak with my steering fluid. So at that point I try to brake and my brakes failed. I don't know what happened I began to roll backwards and the first thing I thought of was to push down as hard as I could and slammed it into park. While all this was going on not one single engine light came on or brake light nothing. There was absolutely no warning. I turned the car off then back on and it was as if nothing had happened. Luckily it was on a very quite and non-busy street and my kids weren't with me.

- Belton, TX, USA

Jul 112017

Traverse

On three separate occasions within the past year, the power steering has gone out in my 2009 Chevy Traverse while I am driving. On two occasions, it was raining and my power steering went out as I was turning - both instances on a city street. The third instance was on a city street (in a neighborhood) and the power steering again went out as I was going around a turn. There was a small amount of water on the road but it was not raining at the time. In all three instances, the vehicles was in motion, turning, and on a city street. It is unknown to me what the cause of the problem was, but quite scary when the power steering goes out. The last two incidents were close together and within the last couple of weeks (during July 2017).

- New Palestine, IN, USA

Jun 012016

Traverse

There is loss of power steering assist when traveling at low speeds. It is unsafe as the vehicle becomes hard to steer when turning left or right. This issue is known to the auto-maker and they only want to replace power steering pump and fluid. The power steering gear is leaking and GM should recall this unsafe part. The steering function of an automobile is critical as human lives are at the mercy of this component of the vehicle to operate as designed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 262017

Traverse

2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering "locks up" almost like losing power steering when turning (often at low speeds like around roundabouts) and need to use all my strength to make successful turn without hitting vehicles around me then all of the sudden it "gives" and is ok and overcorrecting occurs because I am using all my strength to make the turn.... very similar to many other complaints that I've read online about the same issue in the same make/model/year vehicle

- Westfield, IN, USA

May 272017

Traverse

Good afternoon. I have a 2009 Chevy Traverse ls. I was having problems with my power steering and received the special coverage notice number 14329 to have the repairs done. According to notice, the power steering system was supposed to be flushed, the steering pump replaced and a new steering gear installed. I recently went in for an oil change at the Chevy dealership in lowell and came across some issues with the steering. There was fluid leaking from the power steering pump and gear. It hasn't been a year and if these were replaced last July this problem should not be occurring again. How do I go about having this problem resolved? thank you

- Tyngsborough, MA, USA