Most common solutions:

1. had to replace engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Traverse:

Jan 132018

Traverse ES 3.2V6

2012-Traverse

This is my daughters vehicle and her husband was driving it and the vehicle died while he was driving and would not restart so he called me and I told him it sounded like the fuel pump. He called a service shop that is certified gm shop and the mechanics called him and told him it was out of gas. He stated that the fuel gauge was not correct. OK, Simple enough, My son-n-law could not get the vehicle as he was too busy. I decided to go ahead and pick it up for him and I did so and added a full tank of gas to it. I proceed 8 miles to my home and the Traverse oil light came on and went off and the Traverse shut off. I tried to restart it and all I got is a sound from the starter that clicked as though it was a dead battery. I decided to pull the Traverse to my house and wait till the next morning and check the oil and charge the battery. The battery was dead so I replaced it. The oil dipstick was showing full so I attempted to start the engine, No go still the same click from the starter. We called the shop and they came and picked it up and checked it over. The motor was seized up and according to them there was nothing indicating as of why it would just lock up. I have bought nothing but GM products for the last 35 years and have owned two Cadillac's and still own a 1971 chevelle, a Cadillac and a GMC truck. I decided to look up if there was similar issues with he Traverse and I found that this is happening way too often and with no help from GM to do anything about it. From the complaints I have seen most of the Traverse owners are young women with children that own these vehicles. The company I work for have a line of these as well. I am paying close attention to see what GM says about my daughters Traverse and what help they may provide. Hard working women and men should not have to endure these kind of hazard endangerment situations and hardships mentally , Physically and financially from a GM vehicle. GM really needs to step up to the plate and demand withing the company as to what is causing this vehicle to do what it is doing to put its customers in these situations.

- Danny R., Hallsville, US

Apr 112017

Traverse

The Traverse shut down while driving and we later found out it was due to the engine seizing up. The vehicle was always properly maintained. A search of the internet, we found that this was not uncommon for 2011 & 2012 models. I spoke with Chevy who reluctantly admitted that it was an issue and that by the vin# ours was suspected to be one of the defective engines. The SUV was out of warranty, but I got GM to agree to pay half the repair costs to replace the engine with a reconditioned one. Now we are having additional issues with the AC lines - and will be listing that on another complaint.

- Kim D., Mode, US