Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

May 252019

Caliber

The recall U have that U say has not effected mine has. I've already put a new engine in the car and a gas tank, all the lines and now the car is still shutting off/down on its own. The recall is exactly wat the mechanic says needs done and he doesn't have the equipment to do the repair. No advanced read out machinery to change or reprogram. I need this recall on mine. There's no way U got every one that was recalled. Like I said jeff bradley is the mechanic that's fine all the work the new motor the gas tank and lines, and now it's still shutting down. There is no dash lights that cone N at all

- Mount Vernon, KY, USA

Jul 032019

Caliber

My car is stuttering/jolting upon putting it in drive & stopping & driving (after stopping @ traffic lights & stop signs). Also, it takes a bit for the car to increase in speed once I'm stopped (@ traffic lights & stop signs) & have to start driving again. This has been noticeable for the past month now.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jun 102019

Caliber

Transmission overheated and went into limp mode repeatedly during a road trip in summer of 2017 on the freeway. Flushing and replacing filter fixed the problem for about 10 months. June of 2018, complete transmission failure. Took it to aamco, and they rebuilt it for $2800. Fixed the issue again for about a year. Failed again June of 2019, took it to aamco again, and this time they replaced the transmission under warranty. Three days after getting it back from the shop, the transmission has started to overheat and go into limp mode yet again.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 132019

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 25 mph on an incline, the gear did not shift out of first gear and the transmission indicator illuminated. The failure recurred and the vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact called larry hillis Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat at 573-785-5769 (located at 3211 N westwood blvd, poplar bluff, mo 63901) and was informed that there was no recall. The technician recommended a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Mcgee, MO, USA

Mar 012019

Caliber

I bought my car about a week ago with 100,000 miles on it and the day tree we brought it home when we are driving it will start to go back and forth, like stall/ chug for a split second then go back while in motion, it doesnżT matter how slow or fast IżM going it does it whenever I am driving. I canżT wait for it to just die and get it fixed I need this fixed now and I can now see after researching there are many 2009 Dodge Calibers on recall for this issue but mine isnżT and IżM confused as to why and need this to be fixed asap.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Mar 112019

Caliber

My vehicle for my year has a recall for the transmission power control module, I called to get it sorted out and everyone tells me my specific VIN does not match any recalls, ironically my check gone light has come on for this exact reason. I was driving and from what I experienced the car did shut off and I had to restart it on the side of the road.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Mar 022016

Caliber

Transmission over heating on highway.. front steering and suspension keep needs repaired. Noise in front when turning to the right.

- Morrisdale, PA, USA

Sep 112018

Caliber

Transmission overheats quickly and car loses power. Aamco has replaced it numerous times. Added external transmission cooler. Problem persists. Suspension is insufficient for this car.

- Chino, CA, USA

Jul 112014

Caliber

Defective power train manufacture had clear knowledge after the car went in product and was manufactured. When car in motion get low squeezing noise on city street or highway. Taking a trip at that time and still having same sound today pls jerking.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Caliber

The transmission continuously overheats causing the vehicle to lose power. The is no notification other than a light at the time it starts to slow down. At this point you have to maneuver cautiously through fast moving traffic to pull over for about 15 minutes each time. I have almost been in multiple accidents (and almost caused a few) because of the unannounced extreme loss of power. I've taken the car for multiple transmission flushes and filter changes. Nothing works and I'm repeatedly told that many Calibers are having the same issue but the manufacturer has not created a solution. The vehicle has remained parked for the last 2 years. My daughter took it out for a drive today and was stuck on the freeway twice in a 30 mile trip due to the transmission. I cannot sell or use the vehicle for obvious safety reasons.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Mar 312018

Caliber

When accelerating my vehicle is slow to take off with max speeds of only 50 mph on the freeway and 30 mph city. I have pressed the gas all the way and car is still lagging. The cel stays on and the following diagnostic codes are read P0722 which is trans output speed sensor U1146 which is a communication error P0717 which is input speed sensor 1 circuit no signal P0700 which is transaxle control system malfunction and P0712 which is trans fluid temp sensor low input. I took it to a local shop and they suggested I take it to the dealer to perform a tcm software update and its still doing the same thing even after the codes were cleared. Now a code is read that has to do with a large evap leak. Am I being steered in the wrong direction so that the dealer can avoid honoring the factory recall of the powertrain control module/fuel pump relay nhsta campaign number: 08V528000. My specific VIN did not show up as being recalled but I would like to know if my issue can be further investigated. Please help.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Caliber

After 60 minutes driving at highway speeds the engine revs rise but speed falls. Transmission overheating warning comes on although the temperature has not risen very much. Car has to be stopped and needs to wait 20 minutes for temperature to return to "normal". Dodge dealer cannot diagnose the problem as they will not take a long test drive.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Feb 012018

Caliber

The cvt transmission keeps failing. To date, I've had it replaced under the lifetime powertrain warranty four times. Once at 17000 miles, again at 92000 miles, again at 117000 miles, and now at 135000 miles. No root cause has been identified, yet each time the same failure mode happens - warm temperature, limp mode, and eventually a screaming sound with no engagement.

- Madison, AL, USA

Dec 222016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving 55 mph, the transmission warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred on many occasions. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 179,000.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

Nov 252014

Caliber

This car attempted to kill me twice. First the subframe rotted out due to bad design. We noticed this as the struts were being replaced - also because of bad design. This was noticed in 2014 (on a 2009 vehicle!) cost me over $1,000 to fix - Dodge offered no help at all. Later in 2014 - the front drivers side arm separated from wheel, causing wheel to pop off. If I was going any faster than the 10 mph I was going (headed to highway!), I could have been killed. Again contacted Dodge and no assistance. They recalled the 2007 but not this model year for these problems. Pictures attached. I hope someone holds this company accountable! cars should not cost thousands of dollars to repair in year 5!!!

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Jul 082016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power train control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 199,000.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Aug 152016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving highway speeds, the vehicle began to decelerate from 60 to 30 mph without warning. The contact discovered that if the vehicle was turned off and restarted and the accelerator pedal was pressed, the vehicle would accelerate with no issues for a while before the failure would recur. The dealer diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The certified mechanic diagonoised that the PCM needed to be replaced and the dealer verified the diagnosis. The PCM was not repaired. The manufactuer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 072016

Caliber

On May 7th, 2016 I was involved in an accident. My car stalled and no matter what I did, pressing, pumping, or mashing, my brakes would not slow or stop the car. Now, my car has done this in the past usually right as I am coming to a full stop. The first month I owned the car, I casually told the service writer at my local dealership about it and they said not to use cheap gas. I told them that I use gas from shell, not cheap gas. Then it would happen again, I would mention it again, being told about using cheap gas. Which again, I told them I don't use cheap gas in my car. I believe my accident was caused by the issue listed in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 042015

• 1,107,645 miles
The cvt transmission is junk. Constantly down shifting itself, even when the cruise is set, and being drove short low speed distances. I'm not the only one complaining. Several people I have talked to that own them have the same problems. Already returned one Caliber to the dealer, even after replacing the transmission it did no good. A week later it was right back in the garage

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Feb 132016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. When attempting to drive above approximately 20 mph, the transmission failed and the vehicle was not able to move from first gear. The check engine light illuminated. The contact stated that the K- frame was rusted. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who advised that the contact needed to locate a dealer to have the vehicle repaired. The certified mechanic cleared all the codes for the transmission; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 171,180.

- Franklin, PA, USA