1.9

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

Aug 032016

Caliber

Summary: The vehicle was taken to the mechanic thinking there was an issue with the transmission. Mechanic states the the fluid nededed changed and found a front crossmember of the subframe completely rusted apart next to the sway bar. The 2007 model has an extended warranty that was given to extend it 10 years with unlimited mileage for the replacement of the crossmember, but they have yet to do this with the 2009 model. Obviously, the issue has continued with subsequent model years and is absolutely unreasonable to think a vehicle that is 7 years old with no other rust, should have such a serious issue.

- Sheffield Lake, OH, USA

May 242016

Caliber

My son was driving this car to work noticed a severe change to the steering. It cause him to veer into the other lane and luckily there was no other oncoming traffic. He was able to drive it onto work and called me to let me know of the problem. After driving just 10 feet it was obvious that it was un-drivable and unsafe. After calling the towing service they suggested that I call Dodge to see if there was a recall since they had already towed other Dodge of similar years with a rusted/ broken sub frames. Call local dealer with the VIN and ask to if there was any recalls for a broken sub frame. They stated that there was not a recall and did not offer to make a repair even at my cost. I took it to a local service center who had seen the same problem before on other Dodge and was familiar with the repair. After $600 for the part and $600 for labor the repair was made on a car with 89,000 miles. While the car was getting repaired I was able to tell a co-worker about the recall for the exact same issue on her 2007 Caliber which I discovered while researching. She was able to get hers repaired with no charge. Contacted Dodge and since there is no recall they are not willing to pay for the repair at this point. They know that there is problem so I guess that means Dodge stands for Dodge responsibility at the cost of the consumer. I not be purchasing any mopar products in the future.

- Sidney, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Caliber

The vehicle was taken to the mechanic thinking there was a brake issue as there was a clunking and shaking while braking and turning. Mechanic states the brakes are fine and found a front crossmember of the subframe completely rusted apart next to the sway bar. The 2007 model has an extended warranty that was given to extend it 10 years with unlimited mileage for the replacement of the crossmember, but they have yet to do this with the 2009 model. Obviously, the issue has continued with subsequent model years and is absolutely unreasonable to think a vehicle that is 7 years old with no other rust, should have such a serious issue.

- Topinabee, MI, USA

May 092016

Caliber

Rusted front subframe resulting in steering vibration and tire rubbing while driving. Vehicle was pulling hard to one side while driving on interstate. Unstable ride due to premature rusting of subframe

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 262016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle made a creaking sound. A mechanic diagnosed that the main cross member was corroded. The contact notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Apr 022016

Caliber

Upon inspection of my 2009 Dodge Caliber I was informed that the cross member is almost completely corroded out.while driving at speeds greater than 55 mph there is vibration in the steering wheel. My car will not pass inspection because this car is unsafe to drive. My husband contacted Chrysler customer service and we were informed that this year is not recalled so basically there's nothing they're willing to do. If the 2007 was recalled and the warranty was extended for the same problem, why is my 2009 cross member rusted out" because the same parts were used and dealerships never warned customers that this was a huge and expensive problem on these vehicles. What happened to satisfied customers??? I'm livid about this. 8 months ago before my vehicle had 50X miles on it, the transmission was replaced. And this car isn't a piece of crap right? made in china?? I can't believe the horrible customer service that Chrysler utilizes. So are they waiting for a catastrophic accident that kills somebody before they are wiling to fix this problem. We were told when we called that "there's not enough complaints about this issue that would warrant a recall." Really???? so what's going to happen here is I'm going to contact my attorney and contact the local news. I am definitely not the 1st person with this same issue and safety defect. Chrysler when are you going to step up to the plate and fix your problem with these vehicles before they take the life of innocent people??? I'm disgusted beyond belief!! can you tell??"

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Mar 292016

Caliber

Upon inspection of my Dodge Caliber suspension and front undercarriage it was determined that the engine cradle had sever corrosion. The corrosion has created a safety concern regarding the stability of the engine and lower control arms. The car has 58,500 miles. The dealer and Fiat Chrysler refuse to fix the issue because they stated it's out of warranty. Fiat Chrysler has issued a technical bulletin 23-012-14 for front and rear crossmember corrosion (X58 10 years unlimited) for M.Y 2007 Dodge Calibers for the same defect. My 2009 Caliber uses the same part number, same part that is being replaced in earlier vehicles for the same problem. The premature corrosion presents a safety concern for the vehicle occupants. The vehicle is becoming unstable while turning corners.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving at 60 mph, the contact temporarily lost control of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that a part of the suspension had detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was extreme corrosion underneath the vehicle and that the subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000......updated 04/15/16

- Ontario, OH, USA

Mar 152014

Caliber

2009 Dodge Caliber, within 3 months of buying vehicle, as is, started having acceleration problems, brake and suspension problems. Took vehicle to dealer, was informed I needed suspension bar and struts replaced which would cost over $800. About the same time my transmission overheat light started coming on, I loose power and have to pull over on the side of the road for 15-30 minutes before vehicle would drive again. Go approx. 23 miles at a time when same problem occurs. Worse in the summer time. Today, my electronic throttle control light, malfunction indication light and engine overheat light came on and remains on every time I start the vehicle. Vehicle will not accelerate without getting up between 3 & 4 RPM's. not much power. When hitting a bump or ice at stopping point, vehicle jumps ahead instead of stopping, almost causing me to rear end several times. Tons of complaints about these same issues. Something must be done. I paid $10700 for my vehicle. Cant even afford to get it fixed as repairs are now estimated over $4200. This is not right to do to people...

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 082016

Caliber

Took my 2009 Dodge Caliber in for inspection. Front sub-frame / cross member is rotting away and almost rusted. Rest of the car has very little rust. Called Chrysler customer care. Dodge is aware of the problem and extended the warranty for the 07 but not the 09 knowing the issue was not resolved. Have an appointment at the dealership (who are awesome) to inspect the problem further.

- Lisbon, ME, USA

Dec 212015

Caliber

The 2009 Dodge Caliber was deemed unsafe and unable to pass a Maine safety inspection. The front and rear cross sub frames were heavily rusted and completely rusted through in several places.

- Monmouth, ME, USA

Nov 272015

Caliber

Took car in for inspection, was told cradle, subframe is rotted. Was told there was a recall. Chrysler did recall 2007 2008.but not 2009. Car has less than 60,000 miles. Body is not rusted. Called customer care and was told they are aware there is a problem and get many complaint but have chosen not to extend recall. Even though they know there is a problem. Almost every complaint on this website is about the same issue.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Oct 232015

Caliber

Took my 2009 Dodge Caliber in for annual state inspection, failed because of a cracked K member (sub frame) on the left side and loose left tie rod. Shop does not do repairs. Took to another repair shop in Vermont for a second look. He found that the K member corroded with holes near the mounting bolt on the K member and corrosion on the lower control arms. He ordered parts to replace the K member and lower control arms. He also replaced the outer tie rod which I had purchased after the failed inspection. Steering quicker to left than to the right before taking the car in for the failed inspection

- Cambridge, NY, USA

Sep 252015

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced, the mechanic noticed the rear trailing arm bushing was stuck to the suspension. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Sep 022015

Caliber

After suspecting some front end suspension issues I took my 2009 Dodge Caliber to my regular mechanic. Upon inspection he reported that, along with control arms needing to be replaced, the subframe was unusually rusted and corroded to a point that was unsafe to drive. I investigated the matter and found that Chrysler issued an extension on the factory warranty to cover the same issue on the 2007 Calibers but when I contacted Chrysler customer service they informed my that there has been no recall or warranty extension for the 2009 Caliber. The car is at the garage and will be getting fixed tomorrow. I have taken pictures and will pursue the issue further.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA

Aug 162015

Caliber

Rotted out.corroded in 6 years car unsafe.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Jun 232015

Caliber

While braking on the exit ramp from the highway I felt a pop under the front of the car. The drivers side lower control arm broke away from the cross member due to a failure of the cross member from excessive rust and corrosion.

- Morrow, OH, USA

May 282015

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving 35 mph, the contact noticed that an object fractured from underneath the vehicle. In addition, the contact heard a noise underneath the vehicle. The dealer stated that the subframe was corroded and contained holes. The technician diagnosed that the subframe and control arms needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Mar 032015

Caliber

I bought my car used in June of 2014 and thought it was in pretty decent shape at the time, little did I know. I was driving my car (2009 Dodge Caliber) and hit a small pothole and heard some rattling afterwards. I assumed it was maybe a clamp on my exhaust and so wasn't real worried about it and figured I would have my mechanic check it out in a week of so. I got concerned after a couple days because the rattling turned into clunking. I sent it to my mechanic and he said there was major rot on the engine cradle which was rotted and broken and both front control arms were no good and sway bar bushings also needed replacing, two days before this noise I was on the highway traveling at speed limit, had this all fallen apart I could have been killed. The cost to repair all the parts which were, as far as my mechanic is concerned, faulty and should be recalled, was $1920.13 !!! this car is 6 years old with 86,000 miles on it and should not have the rot in these places as severe as it is. I know on the Dodge Caliber forums many owners have similar problems with the major front end parts rotting. This is a major problem and I wouldn't even have noticed had my mechanic not put it on a lift and looked at it and even then once he took off the engine cradle to replace it he noticed the rotted parts that were covered by the cradle, thank god I didn't lose control and get killed as I travel a lot on the highway, this problem needs to be brought to light and Caliber owners need to have their mechanics check out their cars before someone's engine falls out and they get killed. When I purchased this car it was most likely rotted pretty bad and I didn't know that was a defect in them at the time. I see lots of these cars for sale still on lots, people need to have the front ends inspected thoroughly before they purchase one.

- Salisbury , MA, USA

Jun 302014

Caliber 4-cyl

Upon inspection of my vehicle, my mechanic noted that the frame crossmembers were rusted to the point of needing immediate replacement. He stated the car was unsafe and could have caused a major accident.

- Centerville, MA, USA