1.9

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

Nov 082018

Caliber

Subframe rotted away. Causing the drivers side A-arm to rip out. The wheel was at an approximate 90 degree angle from normal position. Caused the driveshaft to pull out of the transmission and the car to immediately stop.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Mar 022016

Caliber

Transmission over heating on highway.. front steering and suspension keep needs repaired. Noise in front when turning to the right.

- Morrisdale, PA, USA

Sep 112018

Caliber

Transmission overheats quickly and car loses power. Aamco has replaced it numerous times. Added external transmission cooler. Problem persists. Suspension is insufficient for this car.

- Chino, CA, USA

May 032018

Caliber

Got oil change & was told my frame was rusting bad. Took to my mechanic to put up on racks and I looked at it. He said it was getting very rusted, had holes, including the "arms" that connected to wheels.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Feb 152018

Caliber

Subframe rusted cracks very dangerous frequent noises!

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 082018

Caliber

Heard a clunking noise when turning and stopping, got home thinking the strut was broken and found that the sub-frame for engine, sway bar and tire assembly completely rotted and cracked on the drivers side ready to break in two. Car is unsafe to drive. Mileage 91K.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

Apr 012018

Caliber

The car is difficult to keep on the road while driving at any speed. A loss of control and loud noise felt and heard while driving over small bumps or while turning. After doing my own under vehicle inspection I noticed that the subframe where the lower control arm mounts was completely rusted through. This was my friends son's car and I recommend to him not to drive it because it was very unsafe and that he could loose complete control of the car.

- Roc2, MI, USA

Apr 032018

Caliber

When driving the vehicle started to make unusual sounds coming from the front of the vehicle. Took the vehicle to a Dodge dealer for inspection. Told that the front cross-member was severely corroded and the vehicle is unsafe to drive. Customer was informed by the dealer that this was covered under an extended warranty from Chrysler. Was then told by the dealer that they could not work on the vehicle until the district service manager authorized it. The reason given was that there was additional rust found that would not be covered by the warranty. Informed that this decision could be expected in 2 to 3 weeks. Was then informed that the dealer could not offer and transportation while they waited for a decision. Still waiting.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Feb 212018

Caliber

I took my wife's 2009 Caliber to our mechanic because she heard clunking noises from the front end. We were informed by our mechanic that a piece of frame stretching across the front of the vehicle is severely rusted. The steering rack and sway bars attach to this frame work. Also front end components. The vehicle makes loud plunking noices when going over small and large bumps and much worse when hitting pot holes. No other rust is apparent on any fram work under the vehicle. This vehicle is only nine years old. I think that's extremely odd for such a young vehicle. I feel this may become a safety issue very soon and think there may have been a recall that I am unaware of.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Oct 282017

Caliber

Entire sub frame in front is rotted to the point vehicle is not driveable, do other ruset is visible in front. Vehicle began to squeal when driving and front left tire close to fell off

- Roslyn, PA, USA

Oct 192009

Caliber

My husband filed a complaint this morning on our 2009 Dodge Caliber and he also went to talk to people at bob swope Ford in elizabethtown, Kentucky and they informed him there was nothing they could do about the rusting of the sub frame on our car we have only owned this car for years and we still are in debt on it ubiquitous frame is so rusty it is about to bust open and it is to dangerous for us to drive him & I both are on disability and we cannot afford to fix this problem I have talked to several people about this problem an we are all in agreement that there is no way this could have rusted that bad in 2 years so there for it had to be lije this when we purchased the vehicle. I am not one to complain about anything but I just feel that this is their responsibility go take care of this problem there is no way other wise that we can drive this car and it is my only transportation back ; forth to the dr. And I am also on home oxygen so I need this vehicle to get to and fro I can't trade this one in because we owe to much on it thank you sandra buley

- Hodgenville, KY, USA

Oct 192017

Caliber

We had to have a control arm and lower ball joints put in our car and our mechanic informs us that the subframe has rusted out pretty bad and we have only had this car for 2 years and it's only 8 yrs old I don't think it's our place to replace the sub frame I don't have that kind of money neither we got the car at bob swope Ford in elizabethtown Kentucky we have complained to them but they do not respond could you please help us get this problem solved it was checked by swope on or around the first of October and they didn't say a word about this problem

- Hodgenville, KY, USA

Mar 012017

Caliber

The K frame is completely rotted from rust.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Apr 032017

Caliber

The subframe is completely rusted and I have ordered a new one to replace the old one.

- East Cleveland, OH, USA

May 182017

Caliber

Two days ago I realized while driving my car, if I turned right my steering wheel felt as though I had no power steering. Rotating the steering wheel either way, was causing a loud cracking sound. When taken to my mechanic, we came to find the entire rack sub frame was corroded/rusted. They told me I should not be driving the car, because it could break at any minute. The 07 Caliber has a recall for the exact same problem. At any moment it could have broke, and caused serious damage/injury. I'm also pregnant so cannot fear my car isn't safer

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Nov 072016

Caliber

My 2009 Dodge Caliber has the same issue as the 2007 and 2008 Calibers in that the main crossmember in the front steering/suspension has rotted through. The rest of the car is rust free but both the front and rear members have rotted out. This car was in Colorado springs for the first 4 years of its life where they do not use salt and moved to Vermont after that. At 59K miles Dodge will not cover them even though they have replaced them on 2007 models extensively. There are stories of accidents and injuries but Dodge is still not being held responsible for the poor quality and premature failure of the inferior steel parts. I have been a tech in the auto and truck industry for 40 years and am disgusted that there are thousands of stories online about these and millions of cars in the 2007-2009 years that are failing. Can we ask that NHTSA call them out on this before there are more accidents. I am afraid that I and thousands of others will have to pay out of pocket for safety issues that is clearly a failure on Dodge that they are so far sucessfuly hiding from. Issues also include 2007 Jeep and stx vehicles.

- Essex Jct, VT, USA

Nov 252014

Caliber

This car attempted to kill me twice. First the subframe rotted out due to bad design. We noticed this as the struts were being replaced - also because of bad design. This was noticed in 2014 (on a 2009 vehicle!) cost me over $1,000 to fix - Dodge offered no help at all. Later in 2014 - the front drivers side arm separated from wheel, causing wheel to pop off. If I was going any faster than the 10 mph I was going (headed to highway!), I could have been killed. Again contacted Dodge and no assistance. They recalled the 2007 but not this model year for these problems. Pictures attached. I hope someone holds this company accountable! cars should not cost thousands of dollars to repair in year 5!!!

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Aug 042016

Caliber

The cross member/cradle/module front suspension was completely rusted through in one section and severe rust/corrosion on most of part. The vehicle was stationary and in for routine repair when informed vehicle was unsafe to drive and should be repaired immediately. This issue is a recall for the 2007 Dodge Caliber.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Aug 232016

Caliber

Customer brought vehicle in for pa state inspection. And front cross-member is rusted out and will not pass inspection. There is 101,000 miles on it, and no other rust on the vehicle. Customer thinks the extended warranty should cover 2007 - 2009 vehicles, because it's the same problem on all these models. It is unsafe to drive.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. A year ago, the lower control arms failed and were replaced by the dealer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a week ago and a mechanic diagnosed that the front cross member was prematurely rusted extensively and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure more than three times, but provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000...updated 11/21/16

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA