Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

Apr 032019

Dart

The 2013 Dodge Dart has issues with the rear brake calipers. When I disengage the parking brake the rear calipers do not release pressure causing the rear brakes to drag. This is not only my vehicle, I have read online people having similar issues. For me to fix this problem I would have to get new rear calipers. I personally believe this is a manufacturer problem. On the back side of the caliper is a spring which the parking brake connects to I had to disengage this myself. Causing me to not be able to use my parking brake.

- Lavale, MD, USA

Apr 022019

Dart

My 2013 Dart has started having breaking issues recently, year 2013-2016 Darts has a recall on the brake assist in the past, and my issues are very similar. When stoped at a redlight, my car continues to roll forward slowly, enough that I have to push brake pedal completely down. And it takes a lot longer and more distance to slow down fast and safely, it's almost caused me several accidents, and has caused me to run a few red lights to avoid stopping late in the middle of the intersection, which I feel is unsafe, especially when I have my 3 kids with me.

- Grapeland, TX, USA

Apr 092019

Dart

The parking brake has failed on two occasions, once while stationary when it was at the dealership. It crashed into a car in their parking lot in 2016. The vehicle has been in and out of the dealership over the last four years. It was in the dealership in 2015-2016 thirteen times for oil leaks and the engine either dying or almost seizing while in motion. This resulted in my vehicle starting on fire in late 2016 early 2017. The repair for the fire damage was covered by my insurance company and it was subsequently fixed by a different dealership after that. More recently, it was in my driveway and rolled into my truck and damaged the front of the vehicle's bumper while stationary with the parking brake was engaged. The symptoms with the engine have also started to reappear while in motion in 3rd or 4th gear... it starts to act like it's going to completely die. Needless to say, I have it back in the dealership for diagnostics. Some of the recalls listed on this website sound like things I have experienced, please let me know if there is anything I can do. My time is the main thing I care about at this point and don't want to spend another 2 years endlessly in and out of the dealership. I just want a car that operates normally.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Apr 062019

Dart

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart aero 6 speed manual, dual dry clutch, multi air turbo. I purchased vehicle in February 2017. 4 months later I had brought my vehicle into carsense for an oil change. Meanwhile I asked them to check the brakes also due to braking issues and my ebrake was not working properly and had a mind of it's own. It worked when it wanted to, but yet everything is in "great condition" says carsence.mind you that I had just purchased this vehicle in February and it was recently inspected in January 2017. Service dept. Inspected my brakes and gave me the current measurements of existing brake pads left. About June 2018 I was coming up to a stop sign in a 25 mph side street with light traffic. I had trouble slowing down to a complete stop. When I managed to come to a complete stop I heard a loud bang. Here my driver's side rear rotor was severely smoking and I noticed my rotor was redhot. My rotor snapped completely in half. My shifter would randomly pop out of gear or the clutch would lightly stick, smelling exhaust odor I'm now pushing 62, 000 miles and what do you know. I am coming home into my development. I'm in second gear turning onto my lane and doing maybe 10 mph well it decides to pop out of gear and accelerates, redlining second gear(I'm assuming it thinks it's in second) and all dashboard lights are flashing steering wheel it locked. Car is now doing 80 mph in a 15 mph zone. My brakes are not working at all brake pedal is harder than hard. I have no control of this vehicle!! engine finally cuts out after I removed the key from the ignition. Comes to a screeching halt. Thank god. It wont start still to this day..oil in turbo and up the hose. Battery plays dead along with my instrument panel and my transmission needs a computer upgrade that's not even available for the 1.4L turbo engine...it needs a tcm, new master cylinder.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Nov 162017

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a dealer (Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram located at 600 auto center cir, salinas, ca 93907) where it was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V800000 (service brakes, hydraulic). After the recall remedy was performed, there was a loss of brake assist. The vehicle was taken back to the same dealer where the vehicle was serviced a second time under the recall remedy as a courtesy however, the failure recurred where there was a loss of brake assist. The contact called the same dealer where it was informed that the vehicle would have to be diagnosed and that there could be a cost for the repairs. The contact was concerned that the recall remedy failed to rectify the failure. The vehicle was not taken back to the same dealer for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,898.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Mar 122016

Dart

The car was parked in my driveway for hours, which has an incline, with the emergency brake engaged, when it suddenly rolled downed the driveway across the street into a ditch, the emergency lever still up, as if it were engaged, had to have a tow truck pull it out. A year later the emergency brake would randomly not work and now does not work at all

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Mar 012019

Dart

I had took my car to Chrysler in biddeford in May 2017 C/O that my E-brake was not holding my car. Once I got the car back I could hardly lift the brake. I went back in and asked why it was that way, they stated that it would loosen up as I use it. I used the brake a couple of months later and it went up about an inch. The next time I used it was in February and when I pulled up on the brake level it went straight up. I called and left numerous vm. No one called me back. I went back in on a Saturday for my oil change. I talked to a rep there and they stated that they would leave a note for someone to call me back on Monday. I never received a call back. I finally got someone to make an appt for me to bring my car in. Once they found out I no longer had the B to B warranty they stated that I would have to pay almost $500. I called and left a msg for the GM and I got a call back from the sales manager wanting me to traded my car in. I stated to him I thought he was calling about the brake. He stated to bring it in and they will put it on the lift while I talk to sales. The rep came back and stated do you know that your brake does not work. Made an appt for a diagnostic which I had to pay for and they ordered a part for my car. I had to take my car back to be looked at bill Dodge and they stated that my brake was not working and that my calipers where sticking. I brought the car back in and they stated I needed one of my calipers changed. I stated I just changed one this summer make sure you get the right one. I picked up my car and took my car to my friend in nh. His mechanic again stated that my brake was not fixed and that the E-brake is causing the calipers to stick. I got my car back and a week later (03/01/2019) I was in an accident where a car hit my driver's door doing about 35+. my air bags never went off. I have 4 airbags and not one went off. Other cars did.

- Durham, ME, USA

Mar 022019

Dart

Car flashes check engine light, turns on and off multiple times on its own, unexpectedly shifts into neutral, occasionally goes forward when in reverse (R), steering wheel locks while driving, takes a lot of pressure on the acceleration pedal to move forward

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 052019

Dart

The parking brake will not engage. Does not hold car in position when applying the emergency brake. Car rolls when parking brake is applied.

- Lake Hiawatha, NJ, USA

Dec 132017

Dart

The emergency brake function on the rear brake calipers on the manual version of the 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L multiair turbo seize over time. It happened first with my back right rear caliper. I was driving after having parked using the emergency brake. The car was pulling hard to the right and was resisting acceleration. I pulled over to find my back right wheel smoking and the rotor red hot. The event was dangerous. I had the car towed to my local autoshop and they informed me that there was galvanic corrosion on a spring that was intended to release the emergency brake when disengaged. They informed me that this wasnt the first time that they had seen this on this model of car, and that I should expect for it to happen on the opposite assembly as well. I did not have the money to replace both at the time, so I only replaced the damaged caliper, rotor, and pads. Slightly over one year later, the exact same thing happened to the other assembly. I attempted to fix it myself. To my surprise, upon getting underneath the car and comparing the two brake assemblies, the assembly that had been replaced was visibly different. There appears to be a coating on the release spring. To me, this signifies that Dodge is aware of the issue and has made a revision, however there is not a recall in place. Considering the importance of brakes and the significance of the emergency brakes to manual vehicles, I consider this unacceptable. I have searched for recalls and not found any, and I have reached out to my local Dodge dealer where I purchased the car only to be told that without a recall, there is nothing they can do.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 252018

Dart

Brake-booster vacuum-tube is letting oil hit my brakes and when I stop the car it smokes and a really bad smell is sucked in by the A/C into the cabin area. This problem is also not letting my car stop in a short distance especially at highway speeds. This is word for word on the fca wedsite about the problem "brake-booster vacuum-tube routing may inadvertently allow oil to reach the brake-booster diaphragm in the event that the vacuum-pump check valve fails; oil may degrade the diaphragm and lead to a loss of brake assist, lengthening stopping distances and increasing the risk of a crash." I have gone to every dealership in my area and because my car is not on the recall list I can't have the problem fixed. My fear is one day I may brake and the car goes up in flames..

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Nov 012018

Dart

Brake booster vaccum pump is leaking oil, causing car to smoke and have a burning smell. It was recalled on other models of the Dodge Dart but not this one, and it's having the same problem. When turning, parking, or braking.

- Morning View, KY, USA

Oct 292018

Dart

The clutch stays stuck to the floor, then pressures up at times.I see many complaints about this online.

- Erath, LA, USA

Sep 132018

Dart

Takata recall this car is garbage ! Dodge shouldn't make this model anymore. I've been having problems two years in of having this car. I had to start changing tires so many time. Air always goes down, tires keep getting those air balls. (no I don't park close to the sidewalk or hit the sidewalk) my steering wheel always cracks everytime I turn it. My whole car shakes ! I press the brakes and it goes crazy. My engine messed up too (it had water inside) I had to fix some heating hose ! my window button stuggles to go up ?I had to change my battery three time ! keep in mind I got this car new. Zero everything ! for 6 years ! I've put so much money on a car I haven't even finished paying ! a car needs thing to get fixed but not like this! just isn't normal. Garage of a car! Dodge Dart SXT 2013 ! don't waste your money or time on this car. Save yourself.

- Sun Valley, CA, USA

Aug 092018

Dart

I never knew the car had a recall I only had the car a month

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 102018

Dart

Vacuum pump leaking oil and a burning smell comes through the vents when brakes are pushed, also caused the O2 sensor to go bad and A/C to not work like it should. This happens when driving and you push the brakes to slow down or come to a stop.

- Clarksville, FL, USA

May 182018

E brake locked up at rear caliper. Similar to NHTSA id number 11109809,

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Mar 202018

Dart

Before starting vehicle, clutch pedal goes straight to floor and has to be pulled back up into position. Problem occurs multiple times a week. After clutch is pumped a few times, it regains pressure and is able to be driven. Vehicle has less than 35,000 miles but is over the 5 year warranty. Extended warranty will cover it with a $100 deductible. Dealership advised that I will probably have to pay for a clutch replacement even though there is an extended warranty/ known issue on the master cylinder and hydraulic fluid leaking throughout clutch components. Also had the turbo and exhaust manifold gasket replaced at 20,000 miles after check engine light kept coming on and vehicle lost power. At one point the check engine light came on and the vehicle lost almost all power while trying to merge onto I-95 in Washington DC, almost causing me to be rear ended by another vehicle. It took 4 trips to the dealership for the problem to be recreated and eventually fixed under warranty. The emergency brake stopped working at about 15,000 miles but I was told that my vehicle was not one affected by the caliper recall. Paid for caliper replacement out of pocket. Lots of problems with this car, but dealership keeps telling me they "cannot replicate the issue".

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Jun 222018

Dart

I was on my way to work@ 0730 hrs, traveling on I 294 N/B, at a speed of approx 45/50 mph when I heard a loud pop. As I attempted to reduce my speed, to move out of the flow of traffic, I noticed my brakes were no longer functioning. I pulled the hand break up, which did not respond, I pushed it down and pulled it up a second time, which barely slowed my vehicle, but did allow me to coast to a slow stop on the shoulder. At this time, the hood of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. I exited the vehicle and a man who had been traveling behind me, pulled over to say that he had seen flames coming from my tail pipe, before the engine compartment burst into flame. I immediately called 911. I waited in the rain for Illinois state police and the fire dept to respond. State police report#il 0229900 was made upon the troopers arrival.

- Lansing, IL, USA

May 152018

Dart

Clutch is sticking in the 1.4L turbo Dart while stationary. Car wouldn't start right away but did eventually. Hard to get into gear while stationary. Emergency brake has failed and is not working. Airbag light is on, on the dash.

- Moore's Hill, IN, USA